Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

FactsAreUseless posted:

Final Fantasy 9 is the best game in the series, easily, and you're all insane.

You're so wrong omg let me tell you about MY favorite final fantasy you wrong guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Norns posted:

You're so wrong omg let me tell you about MY favorite final fantasy you wrong guy
It isn't just my favorite. It's the best one.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Okay I'm convinced

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah that was 9. Funny thing was it was (deliberately) the easiest game to find all the optional stuff in outside of a couple of things.
Like the Protect Ring sidequest that got found for the first time last year. And all you have to do is walk out of the final dungeon to a specific screen in a city... eight times in a row!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Not that it's the game's fault, but wasn't IX the one with that completely-useless-but-still-full-price strategy guide?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I think I've got that fucker around here somewhere. "In this room, you'll find a devious puzzle. For the solution, go to our website (that will be gone immediately following the game's release)!" :homebrew:
I sold my copy of 9 to a goon last year and my only condition of selling it was "must also take the strategy guide". I suspect that made it take longer to find a taker.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best final fantasy is when I had a fever dream and the plot of FFX was played with the combat of FFXIII except everyone was the talking beavers from FF2.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I greatly value your opinions on which Final Fantasy is the best\worst and I deeply care about you thoughts and feelings, thank you for sharing

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

What was the job combo in FFTA2 where you would cast a full map damage spell then teleport around smacking every enemy with a book twice? Illusionist/Scholar? I remember being really excited to get that unlocked, then being really sad at how boring it made the game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

WaltherFeng posted:

That's what I trying to get across. I guess the only way to fix the game is to add subjobs.

I have problems with FFIX. Mainly the battles and the Trance. (A lot of people like how it activates during important story beats but I feel like that was underutilized and it should last for a lot longer even by thematic reasons)

There are subjobs. Garnet and Eiko are white mage summoners, Steiner is a fighter mystic knight. Dreads guy is monk some kind of mage too, etc

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Is there a Dragon Quest thread? I don't know if there's Dragon Quest thread but in any case DQXI was just announced as coming overseas.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

precision posted:

I posit that FF4 is the perfect old style JRPG. You don't have to grind, it's not too easy, it's never obtuse where you have to go next, almost every character is well defined both in and out of combat, etc.

One of the most under appreciated parts of FF4 is how you can run instantly as soon as a battle starts. You only have to spend time in the battles that you want to. If Final Fantasy 9 had the same thing, it might have been playable.

Pureauthor posted:

Is there a Dragon Quest thread? I don't know if there's Dragon Quest thread but in any case DQXI was just announced as coming overseas.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3389824&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

DQ > FF. Guaranteed DQXI will be better than FFXII or FFXV.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

There are subjobs. Garnet and Eiko are white mage summoners, Steiner is a fighter mystic knight. Dreads guy is monk some kind of mage too, etc

Amarant is a Ninja/Monk. He has Throw (Ninja) and his Flair skill set is a lot like FFT's Monk abilities.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Emron posted:

What was the job combo in FFTA2 where you would cast a full map damage spell then teleport around smacking every enemy with a book twice? Illusionist/Scholar? I remember being really excited to get that unlocked, then being really sad at how boring it made the game.

Seer/Illusionist with dual wield. You can also use Geomancy instead of Dual Wield to do extra magic damage rather than physical. For better or worse you don't unlock the key ingredient, Magick Frenzy, until really late game and by that time you have plenty of other ways to trivialize the game like using a Scholar with lots of elemental absorbing armor.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Vargatron posted:

Have you played the DS remake? The difficulty is considerably higher in the last half of the game and they added a few new twists to the bosses to where it's really interesting to play through again.

I got to the end but never beat it. Would love to give it another go, but I've got so many games and so little time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Harrow posted:

Amarant is a Ninja/Monk. He has Throw (Ninja) and his Flair skill set is a lot like FFT's Monk abilities.

Right, I forgot, it's been over 10 years but yeah pretty much every character in FF9 has a subjob

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Seer/Illusionist with dual wield. You can also use Geomancy instead of Dual Wield to do extra magic damage rather than physical. For better or worse you don't unlock the key ingredient, Magick Frenzy, until really late game and by that time you have plenty of other ways to trivialize the game like using a Scholar with lots of elemental absorbing armor.

That's true, I remember that. At that point you have full Goku moves on Adelle, I had my heal/mp guy on cannoneer, dual wield ninjas, all the broken poo poo. If FFTA2 had a speed up version, I'd gladly play through it again. It was my favorite DS game by a mile.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Right, I forgot, it's been over 10 years but yeah pretty much every character in FF9 has a subjob

I think like half the characters don't really have a sub-job. Vivi's a pure Black Mage and Quina's a pure Blue Mage. Zidane and Freya have special abilities that aren't really associated with their main jobs (Thief and Dragoon respectively), but also aren't really associated with any other FF job, so while they functionally have a "sub-job" it's a job that doesn't really have an established name so I don't really know where they fall.

Everyone else is like... Garnet is Summoner/White Mage, Eiko is White Mage/Summoner (fewer summons, more white magic spells), Amarant is Ninja/Monk, and Steiner is Knight/Mystic Knight.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is there a chance to leave Pharos with Reddas still in my party after fighting Famfrit?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Raxivace posted:

Is there a chance to leave Pharos with Reddas still in my party after fighting Famfrit?

Nope.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Raxivace posted:

No. Famfrit is one of the phases in what's essentially one continuous boss fight, after which you leave the Pharos and lose Reddas.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Alright I'll be putting that off for a good while then.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Thanks to whoever suggested making Aero the default spell for my mage in FF12. poo poo melts like crazy now.

Is there a good gambit for Haste or should I not even bother with that and just manually cast it during boss fights? Balthier is my knight/time mage and it seems like he casts it every 10 seconds because I'm assuming it doesn't last very long. Is there a way to extend the buff time?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks to whoever suggested making Aero the default spell for my mage in FF12. poo poo melts like crazy now.

Is there a good gambit for Haste or should I not even bother with that and just manually cast it during boss fights? Balthier is my knight/time mage and it seems like he casts it every 10 seconds because I'm assuming it doesn't last very long. Is there a way to extend the buff time?

There's licenses that extend your status effect duration but I think that's it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yep. Also if you get hastega he doesnt have to cast it as often!

Hastega is like post game deep into the game iirc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I honestly don't think Haste is worth casting until most of your characters have the Spellbound license, which increases the duration of buffs cast on them. Even then, I almost always just cast it before a boss fight until I get Hastega, when I think it's finally worth it to have a gambit to keep it mostly constant.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Barudak posted:

Yep. Also if you get hastega he doesnt have to cast it as often!

Hastega is like post game deep into the game iirc.
Hastega, along with Shellga, are in the Great Crystal. :suicide:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I treat Haste pretty much just as a cure for slow just so it's not casting all the time.

Oh, you wanted to slow me down huh, well gently caress you.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I set up a gambit to cast Haste on party member with the highest ATK weapon, because having Any—Haste ate up Penelo's MP and was obnoxious but just having it on whoever hits the hardest seemed better than nothing (and whatever MP-regen licenses I picked up on Penelo were able to keep up with the MP drain of casting Haste every 15 seconds at 4x).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Hastega, along with Shellga, are in the Great Crystal. :suicide:

RIP hastega, its body was never found.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks.

Esuna is loving awesome because now I can just it with all:any and not have to use up gambit slots for separate debuffs. Holy poo poo that sucked.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's still a few statuses like Disease that Esuna can't heal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks.

Esuna is loving awesome because now I can just it with all:any and not have to use up gambit slots for separate debuffs. Holy poo poo that sucked.

Remedy Lores are even better, because they let Remedies cover things that even Esuna can't cure, like Doom and Disease. Any character with three Remedy Lores should probably have an Ally: any -> Remedy gambit, especially since you can buy Remedies fairly early on.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Should I bother with the creature capture stuff in FFX2? It seems like a lot.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The best final fantasies are 6, and 9. Final Fantasy 69, if you will.

precision posted:

Wakka is maybe the worst party member ever, personality wise

Even Zell was better

I'm sorry you couldn't be friends with Blitzball Tim Tebow.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZUmdc1IYMc

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Should I bother with the creature capture stuff in FFX2? It seems like a lot.

I never really did any of it but some of the fiend arena stuff is worth doing (and you can just use Yuna/Rikku/Paine) You can get the Psychic dressphere from the first tournament I think so do that at least

Some of the creatures you can get are probably pretty strong though and they put a weird amount of effort into the fiend tale things so maybe it's worth checking out idk. I don't remember how it works but you can get some human characters through creature creator like Brother/Seymour/LeBlanc/Nooj/Baralai etc and some FFX party members (I think those are NG+ only though)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

I really liked the DS remake of 4. It's like a version of Final Fantasy that hung out with an SMT game for a while and really fell in love with making buffs super important.

:respek:

Having Kain cry and it being a super viable strategy is a life-changing experience.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

Remedy Lores are even better, because they let Remedies cover things that even Esuna can't cure, like Doom and Disease. Any character with three Remedy Lores should probably have an Ally: any -> Remedy gambit, especially since you can buy Remedies fairly early on.

Yeah I'm doing this for everyone. I love that it's a thing everyone can do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Think I'm gonna install the FF9 high-res background mod and start a new game when I get home. All this FF9 talk has me ready to enjoy the chillest FF.

ROFL Octopus posted:

:respek:

Having Kain cry and it being a super viable strategy is a life-changing experience.

Hell yeah.

Y'know, I think FF4 DS is probably the most successful Final Fantasy remake. Dawn of Souls is pretty good, too, but FF4 DS makes such sweeping and cool gameplay changes that I can't help but love it. Also, I love the whole thing with seeing your lead character's current thoughts when you open the menu--I always cycled through my party members every time it changed just to see them all.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shame FF4 DS is ugly as gently caress. Also has some bad difficulty spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The PC version's lack of ridiculous jaggies helps somewhat with the ugliness, but then the UI is just horrific so it's sort of a wash.