Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I'm a physics major

Then what's your excuse for school being too expensive? What schools are you looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Getting my Ed.D in Education. When I invest badly, I go whole hog :v:

(I enjoy the hell out of what I do and will be a principal soon enough, and maybe work at the state level on policy after that.)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

QuarkMartial posted:

Getting my Ed.D in Education. When I invest badly, I go whole hog :v:

(I enjoy the hell out of what I do and will be a principal soon enough, and maybe work at the state level on policy after that.)

You also get that whole PSLF 10 year loan forgiveness with minimum monthly payments thing working for government/state. :v:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Then what's your excuse for school being too expensive? What schools are you looking at?

Its more the cut in pay I'd have to take to go back. I make a decent wage doing Systems Engineering/Datacenter Engineering, to finish my bachelors and masters I'd have to give up on that, and I can't do that.

That and Georgia schools are loving expensive, even with my GI Bill.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i wouldnt count on that poo poo being around much longer with the current admin

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

i wouldnt count on that poo poo being around much longer with the current admin

don't get him started again

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

don't get him started again

DeVos has already charged in on loan forgiveness programs and cutting financial aid. :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CommieGIR posted:

Its more the cut in pay I'd have to take to go back. I make a decent wage doing Systems Engineering/Datacenter Engineering, to finish my bachelors and masters I'd have to give up on that, and I can't do that.

That and Georgia schools are loving expensive, even with my GI Bill.

Do both?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I was eating dinner last night, having baked tilapia. It was as good as tilapia can be, I guess... There I was, minding my own god damned business, chewing my food and I bit down, immediately finding a bone. Now that's not unheard of with tilapia, but certainly uncommon. But that's not the strange bit. How I found it was the strange bit. I was chewing like normal and bit down on my molars. Immediately I felt a stabbing pain above my upper jaw.

The first I noticed the bone was as I was biting down, driving the bone directly between two molars and through my gum. :wtf:

I reached back and pulled and got about 3/8" and it snapped. Luckily, there was enough left to still grab. I got a pair of tweezers and proceeded to pull out another half loving inch of bone with a nice blood stain showing that it was fully 1/4"+ embedded into my upper jaw.

That's some weird poo poo.

I rinsed like crazy with Listerine and I'm hoping it doesn't lead to infection. :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Really can't. Tried. Don't have the time, energy, or money for both.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Really can't. Tried. Don't have the time, energy, or money for both.

Talk to your supervisor, you'd be surprised at how flexible they are. I finished my bachelors while working ramping up to 24 units the final 2 semesters. Working 40 hours a week, hybrid program (online/face to face), and owning a side business. The last semester my wife was gone to Costa Rica getting hours in for her field and we had 2 kids.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yay Sawzalls.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Talk to your supervisor, you'd be surprised at how flexible they are. I finished my bachelors while working ramping up to 24 units the final 2 semesters. Working 40 hours a week, hybrid program (online/face to face), and owning a side business. The last semester my wife was gone to Costa Rica getting hours in for her field and we had 2 kids.

I work for a consulting firm, I don't have a supervisor, I'm a consultant.
And most of the work left on my degree requires me to be there in person.
How was your supervisor flexible if you were still pumping out 40/week?

Guys, you keep doing this stuff where you just assume that what works for you works for everyone else: I've already tried the flex/work/school route, I really REALLY must emphasize I don't have the time or the spare funds for schooling. As it is, I'm trying to save up for my wife to go back to school to finish her degree.

Its bad enough I'm ADHD and covered in Learning Disabilities, I'm not good at stretching myself. At all.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 28, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

David tried this. he started failing at work and school.
I tried this. I went from a 4.0 gpa to a 2.5-3.

It works for some, not all.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The wife and I are currently looking at buying a house. I went and got some pre approvals on amounts and it turns out that I have to buy the house rather than we. Simply because of her student debt makes it almost impossible to borrow enough. So the dirty unamerican here to take all the jerbs can buy a house while a natural born citizen cannot. It is not going to be paid off until forgiveness kicks in by which time she would be in her early 50s by which time it is too late to buy. So how is housing not screwed long term again?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Yay Sawzalls.

The AI equivalent of a dead hooker in the trunk

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

I was eating dinner last night, having baked tilapia.

I used to eat Tilapia until I found out where most of it comes from :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it's a trash fish

just get cod, it's almost as cheap and tastes a million times better

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

How was your supervisor flexible if you were still pumping out 40/week?

Working 40 hours a week is just exactly that, There are 168 hours in a week, you just need to work 40 of those for full time employment, you're left with 128. You need to sleep, I do 8 hours a night, that takes you down to 72 hours for school/commuting/family per week. Nobody said that it's fun, but it's definitely doable. Think of it as a numbers game.

CommieGIR posted:

spare funds for schooling. As it is, I'm trying to save up for my wife to go back to school to finish her degree.

Unfortunately, the system turned into absolutely for pay around 2011 when the tuition cap was removed. This is a legit "Thanks, Obama."

CommieGIR posted:

Its bad enough I'm ADHD and covered in Learning Disabilities, I'm not good at stretching myself. At all.

Yeah, that's a tough one man, you do what works for you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Working 40 hours a week is just exactly that, There are 168 hours in a week, you just need to work 40 of those for full time employment, you're left with 128. You need to sleep, I do 8 hours a night, that takes you down to 72 hours for school/commuting/family per week. Nobody said that it's fun, but it's definitely doable. Think of it as a numbers game.

Like I said, ADHD. Its not just a numbers game for me, and nearly every step to finishing my degree is in person during the day.

And DeVos is going to gently caress whatever tuition assistance is left.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The only purpose tilapia has is in something like a fish curry where none of the flavour comes from the fish (because tilapia has none)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

And DeVos is going to gently caress whatever tuition assistance is left.

If it's any consolation, there's no such thing as tuition assistance for graduate degrees, unless the college/university of your choosing is offering anything. That was a factor in me not choosing US Berkeley, they wanted 165k for what I'm currently getting for 70k and the program I'm in is rated #2 in the nation, except Berkeley, of course, has the network base, but I hate living/working in the bay area so it wouldn't have mattered anyway...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

The AI equivalent of a dead hooker in the trunk
Dear Irwin,

I bought a pack of your so-called "multi material" blades, and

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

keykey posted:

That was a factor in me not choosing US Berkeley, they wanted 165k

Now you see part of my problem. My major is offered in 4 ish schools in california. all of which are pretty much unobtainable as I'm from a peasant immigrant family.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Now you see part of my problem. My major is offered in 4 ish schools in california. all of which are pretty much unobtainable as I'm from a peasant immigrant family.

What's your major?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

it's a trash fish

Pretty much. I get Cod in bulk from Alaska, it's loving awesome. Farm raised fish is crap compared to wild caught.

I live in Florida on the Gulf coast and people still buy farm raised shrimp around here :psyduck:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I used to eat Tilapia until I found out where most of it comes from :)

It comes from the store. :D (Really my daughter pointed it out and wondered why we had never had it before. I told her we had, but she wanted to try anyway.) I don't object to it, but I agree that it's tasteless and needs to be well seasoned.

BraveUlysses posted:

it's a trash fish

Cod has never been on my radar... what's the best source?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ephphatha posted:

Both of these games would benefit from a decent (ie $500) wheel, especially iRacing where you can be pitted against professionals who use it for training.

You can get by just fine in iRacing with a lower-end wheel/pedal setup, in the $200-300 range. When I win (or, vastly more often, lose) it's not because of my wheel.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Iracing is a lot of fun but I went through all my email address to use the cheap $5 for 3 month deals or similar. I can't bring myself to pay $50 for a year even though its really not a lot of money. Steam has ruined me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They typically do a renewal deal around Black Friday.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

keykey posted:

You also get that whole PSLF 10 year loan forgiveness with minimum monthly payments thing working for government/state. :v:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service

Yep! I plan to; I work for a non-profit now and if it falls through, then I'll go back to public schools. Unless DeVoss curbs it.

I work and go to school, and I've maintained a 4.0. It's tough, but doable.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

QuarkMartial posted:

I work and go to school, and I've maintained a 4.0. It's tough, but doable.

Yo good work

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

QuarkMartial posted:

Unless DeVoss curbs it.

Even if whoever decides to do whatever, there's still a thing called being grandfathered in that will happen. I wouldn't be concerned about it as long as you get in under the gun.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Seminal Flu posted:

Cod has never been on my radar... what's the best source?

sometimes i buy fresh but i'm on the best coast, otherwise i've had good luck buying frozen from kroger and costco.

thaw, batter and fry for fish tacos

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

keykey posted:

What's your major?

robotics engineering.

I may branch and do a minor in bioengineering for reasons.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

cursedshitbox posted:

robotics engineering.

Please tell us more about your cyborg plans.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

ExplodingSims posted:

Please tell us more about your cyborg (penis) plans.

not empty quoting.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

robotics engineering.

My friends fiancee just finished a doctorate in cognitive and information science at UC Merced. He was from out of state and the whole program ended up only being around 30k. They're moving to Boston in the next few weeks because he got an offer for 130k starting. That said, he was full time student so work/student and 2 it's in Merced which is basically the rear end in a top hat of the valley.

Edit: I should probably mention his main focus is robotics and ai. UC Merced has a great ai division with a professor base, at least while he was there, with a few who worked on the Watson project.

keykey fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 28, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BraveUlysses posted:

it's a trash fish

They said the same thing about the Patagonian Toothfish, but now look at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I love the difficulty curve on this microcontroller homework assignment:

-Blink two LEDS in sync
-Blink two LEDs out of sync
-Blink one LED twice as fast as the other
-Blink the red LED in Morse Code, for any given input string, and blinking the green LED between loops , with strictly defined timesteps for dots, dashes, and letter/word spacing; btw we're not covering timer functions so you'll just have to hack it lol

(keep in mind I'm only 8 weeks removed from doing "hello world")

• Locked thread