Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Even this terrible first season of DS9 I am chugging through is 10 times better than most TNG or anything episodes. Tosk was so goddamn cheesy but gently caress it was well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Hhhhunnnnngggggg Way of the Warrior is so good
-Odo changling readiness drills
-Klingon fleets everywhere
-DS9 looking fresh as hell, prolly CGI
-Odo drinking and refilling his own goo
-Wharf
-Root Beer
-Garak "measuring" Sisko
-a bajillion photon torpedoes
-Wharf

I can't believe all this poo poo was in the same episode

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

-Wharf
-Root Beer
-Garak "measuring" Sisko
-Wharf

Any excuse to post this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhSm6G7cVk

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Root Beer: Cloying sweet insidious drink you put up with that tricks you into developing a taste for it

Prune Juice: Tart and bitter, but satisfying, the drink of a warrior

Are there other drinks that describe a species/race in Star Trek?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Kazon are "swish."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSJ5fOnkkCk&t=21s

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Does it stop fluctuating randomly between grayish and reddish-brown?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Does it stop fluctuating randomly between grayish and reddish-brown?

Hey it depends on whether Bajor is in a night or day cycle and also some swamp gas reflected the light off the wormhole

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

vermin posted:

Root Beer: Cloying sweet insidious drink you put up with that tricks you into developing a taste for it

Kanar: everyone other than Cardassians can't stand it or has to practice getting used to it, much like the Cardassians themselves.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

vermin posted:

Romulan Ale: Looks smooth and delicious, but betrays you with a strong punch of fire.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Milk: Created entirely by another species. You want it because it's "good" but would actually be better off without it. Pakleds.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CharlieWhiskey posted:

-Wharf
-Root Beer
-Garak "measuring" Sisko
-Wharf

They didn't switch to CGI for things like the fleet battles until Sacrifice of Angels, prior to that it was almost all modelwork

They must have blown up dozens of AMT klingon ship models kits

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So, there's an unspoken assumption that the doppelganger for the race that always obeys authority got a bunch of people killed, right?

Save it for Queen Dopplepopolis

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

That kind of fucks the premise, when they only folks alive at the end of the 65 year journey will be a Vulcan, a possibly schizoid EMH, Naomi Wildman and Miral Paris.

Ah. The "everybody's dead, Dave" scenario.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

spincube posted:

Ah. The "everybody's dead, Dave" scenario.

Even the Delaney sisters??

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Yeah, who wants allegory in star trek.

:(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Even the Delaney sisters??

Everybody's dead, Dave.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The_Doctor posted:

New pics! Transporter room looks better on the Discovery if a little neon and bright.

I know it's future space hair, but the captain's is terrible and lopsided, right?

Guy to the right isn't doing much better.

Edit: and he looks like a discount Wash from Firefly.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Bloop posted:

Everybody's dead, Dave.

But...Captian Janeway? Chakotay? Seven of Nine?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

First sighted at the Fisherman's Worf

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The EW piece on Discovery is out today and confirms a bunch of rumored production stuff; that is was pitched as an anthology, that Fuller spent too much time split between DSC and American Gods, that he clashed with the director of the pilot, that one of the delays was just so Martin-Green could finish up on Walking Dead, etc.

But it also has this little nugget:

So not only was the original showrunner a production nightmare, but the new guys (or CBS, more likely) then tossed his few good ideas and went over budget sourcing those ugly uniforms from switzerland.

:laugh:

So I guess that means there's an extremely low chance that we won't even get one "Duet" or "Measure of a Man".

Also from the EW article:

quote:

The director halts the action and Lorca, played by British actor Jason Isaacs of Harry Potter fame, steps off the stage. The episode’s writer, Kirsten Beyer, approaches to give a correction on his “for God’s sakes” ad lib.

“Wait, I can’t say ‘God’?” Isaacs asks, amused. “I thought I could say ‘God’ or ‘drat’ but not ‘goddamn.’ ”

Beyer explains that Star Trek is creator Gene Roddenberry’s vision of a science-driven 23rd-century future where religion basically no longer exists.

“How about ‘for f—’s sake’?” he shoots back. “Can I say that?”

“You can say that before you can say ‘God,’ ” she dryly replies.

Evek fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 28, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Evek posted:

Also from the EW article:

loving :laffo:, did Beyer just forget like half of McCoy's dialogue?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
How ignorant of this franchise do you have to be to believe nobody ever talks about god or religion

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I am pretty sure I've heard tons of Jews say "Jesus loving christ," and I know I've heard tons of atheists interject "God!" so uh...

I suppose it makes sense in a semi-roundabout way. Swears or whatever are based around taboos in society so if everyone is an atheist then shouting "God!" isn't taboo, right? Since atheists in the present-day say it because they live in a society that still considers it semi-taboo to shout it.

By that logic then, "Kahless!" And "Prophets!" are probably good since using those casually would be seen as sort of vulgar by various people a federation citizen would know.

I'd consider those acceptable substitutes :colbert:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

skasion posted:

How ignorant of this franchise do you have to be to believe nobody ever talks about god or religion

I mean, it's fairly true of all of the TNG era shows. Do they mention god much during Enterprise? It'd make sense for them to be less space atheist than the TNG crew but ????

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The 'no religion' rule is absolutely insane. In the original series episode "Bread And Circuses", Kirk referred to Jesus obliquely when they figured out the meaning of the "son worshipers". Didn't Kirk also say in response to someone that "the one [god] we have is quite sufficient"?

This sounds like all the politically correct nonsense of season one TNG coming back.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gorelab posted:

I mean, it's fairly true of all of the TNG era shows. Do they mention god much during Enterprise? It'd make sense for them to be less space atheist than the TNG crew but ????
They might try to be more atheist in order to impress each other/the Vulcan.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The 'no religion' rule is absolutely insane. In the original series episode "Bread And Circuses", Kirk referred to Jesus obliquely when they figured out the meaning of the "son worshipers". Didn't Kirk also say in response to someone that "the one [god] we have is quite sufficient"?

This sounds like all the politically correct nonsense of season one TNG coming back.

Here's Captain Kirk at the pulpit in the ship's chapel, standing in front of a cross and a... Decepticon logo?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Picard sums up everyone's reaction to Beyer's dumb theories quite well.

Thank god we have the writer to a bunch of Voyager novels here to run the show.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's funny that the Vulcans who are apparently atheists and worship logic are probably the most ritualistic and dogmatic of all of them. Yeah arranged marriages and fights to the death and hangups about sex that would make a victorian roll their eyes, real advanced society that's cast off all that is illogical you got there green bloods, no wonder we were able to conquer you.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So which one is the parody show?

I'm excited for Discovery, but it's hard to be, dammit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gorelab posted:

Nary a mention of God on DS9, except for the part where the lead is space Christ

Even TNG which explicitly propounds a secular future for humanity is bookended by a depiction of man justifying his existence to an inscrutable, ill-behaved god.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I want to see the alternate timeline where atheism was considered politically correct in 1987.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Essentially what Beyer is saying is that it is no longer in keeping with the expectations of the TV audience that characters should possess any religious sentiment; she is cloaking that fact in "Gene's vision" to justify its incoherence with the rest of the series.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 28, 2017

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

VitalSigns posted:

Couldn't they just clone people, that technology is easily available. You can even age advance them although that might not be ethical, on the other hand less questionable than murdering a guy for the mission so

They could recreate the transporter accident that Created Thomas Riker.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I bet Jason Isaacs is really regretting taking this role by now :laugh:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Essentially what Beyer is saying is that it is no longer in keeping with the expectations of the TV audience that characters should possess any religious sentiment; she is cloaking that fact in "Gene's vision" to justify its incoherence with the rest of the series.

It's particularly hilarious because they planted some stories a month or two ago about how they were "breaking Gene's rules" and having members of the crew conflict with one another. Because, you know, that's literally never happened before in Trek.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Isn't it pretty well implied that everybody in TNG at least is atheist? They say "oh god" or "my god" but so do present-day atheists. That's what's so silly about insisting on never having those interjections.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I want to see the alternate timeline where atheism was considered politically correct in 1987.
Not that specifically. Just the overall utopian tone of the first couple of seasons.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like how "genes rules" have gotten worse over the years, even after his death. In DS9 it was Berman pushing all the "genes rules" stuff, who's doing it now? Who's the oracle of "genes vision" interpreting what he'd surely have commanded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

People on the shows believe in a lot of gods they just turn out to be real. Kira Weyoun that guy who was scared of the space devil and so on.