Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
GTAV is literally the biggest game entertainment release of all time; it's kind of unfair to expect normal-rear end games to have its level of containing popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I guess you could call it an "unpopular opinion".

Just like: Oblivion had the best character creator

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mokbek posted:

Seems to me those are more reasons to not play PUBG.

Plunkbat

Mokbek
Dec 19, 2014

Call Me The Shocker

sebmojo posted:

Plunkbat

Of course, how silly of me.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
APB was not a good game due to execution but it had the best aesthetic character customization and it was fun before they hosed it up even worse than it was at launch

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

a bone to pick posted:

I guess you could call it an "unpopular opinion".

Just like: Oblivion had the best character creator

The funny thing is that Facegen is actually quite a powerful bit of software.

It's just that Bethesda forced constraints on all the sliders to not extend past potato mode.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Prey 2017 has very, very hard combat.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Nier: Automata does absolutely nothing well. Not the gameplay, not the writing, not the visual direction, not the pacing, not the act structure. One of the universally disappointing games I've ever played.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Nier: Automata does absolutely nothing well. Not the gameplay, not the writing, not the visual direction, not the pacing, not the act structure. One of the universally disappointing games I've ever played.

Agreed. And I would add: "not the music". I only liked one song in the whole game. This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BPyxR3mowk

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

The Dennis System posted:

Agreed. And I would add: "not the music". I only liked one song in the whole game. This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BPyxR3mowk

I'm a pretty unabashed Platinum fanboy, I love their combat systems, Bayo and Revengance are some of the most fun I've ever had with a controller, I loved Nier 1, it had some of the most memorable characters I'd ever seen and I've played it several times now. Automata seemed to have everything going for it, and yet it fell on its face at every possible opportunity to shine.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Nier looked like trash and I was shocked to learn that people care at all about it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bethesda has never made a good game.
Sorry but it's the truth.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fartbox posted:

Nier looked like trash and I was shocked to learn that people care at all about it

Just about every Yoko Taro game is trash from a gameplay perspective.

Drakengard 1 was grindy and janky as hell. The flying sections were super repetitive. What made the game interesting (some of this you had to find out from direct translations) were how hosed up all the characters were. There's a lady who eats babies, a bloodthirsty mute main character who is desperately trying to avoid being hosed by his sister, a pedophile, extra-dimensional space-babies with teeth- the list of weird fascinating poo poo just goes on and on. The best ending of the this game sets up the universe for Nier.

2 was more generic before Taro didn't have any creative control and so the generic gameplay doesn't even have a whacky japanese story to keep you going along.

3 has great combat.. or it would be great if having > 3 enemies on the screen didn't make the FPS go sub 20.

Nier has better combat than either drakengard but it's still janky and the sometimes the lightning is weird and ugly. But then you get that old Yoko Taro magic of having insane characters and a narrative that pulls you along because it's so confusing how out of sequence the story is told.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Einhander was a good Genesis game.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

[quote="“Navin Johnson”" post="“476883223”"]
Einhander was a good Genesis game.
[/quote]

I only know Einhander on the PlayStation 1 and it's a kickass shooter, shame square forgot about it

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Bethesda has never made a good game.
Sorry but it's the truth.

Wrong, they made Morrowind.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jim Barris posted:

I also enjoyed the combat system where you literally rub your face on the opponent but somehow keep constantly missing.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Also Bethesda published Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein reboots which are extremely good, so they get a pass

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Also Bethesda published Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein reboots which are extremely good, so they get a pass

Most things they publish are extremely good which is why I only said that they never made anything good themselves.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jim Barris posted:

Morrowind was a loving trainwreck with some cool ideas buried deep within.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The Something Awful Forums > Main > GBS: You Gotta Be Kitten Me > Unpopular Videogame Opinions!

steinrokkan posted:

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Literally the only mark against it is that the combat is opaque at times. What else? I can't think of anything. You're talking bullshit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jim Barris posted:

Literally the only mark against it is that the combat is opaque at times. What else? I can't think of anything. You're talking bullshit.

Can you name literally anything exceptional about the game? Because from what I remember it was literally the same bollocks as Oblivion and Skyrim.
Same generic rear end writing, same generic rear end characters, same dull and uninteresting gameplay.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Imagine my surprise when Oblivion came out and everyone was losing their minds over it because it wasnt as good as Morrowind and I was like, "This game isn't as good as anything that could be considered 'good'

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Can you name literally anything exceptional about the game? Because from what I remember it was literally the same bollocks as Oblivion and Skyrim.
Same generic rear end writing, same generic rear end characters, same dull and uninteresting gameplay.

Well I'd disagree about the writing. Oblivion and Skyrim are kind of poorly done but Morrowind nails it by and large. The quest design can be really cool and there's often several different ways to solve problems. A good example of this is the fact that you are often expected to pay attention when you talk to npcs because they give you oral directions to navigate by. Vivec is a really interesting character and so is Dagoth-Ur. I mean yeah, the combat is a little meh but I don't think it's as bad as people make it out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not a video game opinion, but pets are overrated. They smell bad and ruin your house with their hair everywhere, it's cruel we breed and sell them and keep making crazier breeds. They are disease vectors and money sinks and I don't want one.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I thought it was a clever idea to make it so that fulfilling the signs of prophecy actually makes you the reincarnation of the chosen one even if you weren't ten minutes ago. That going the through the motions and steps actually changes things on a metaphysical level.

TESlore is weird and I want whatever drugs Kirkbride had.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jack Trades posted:

hi, the reason the writing is "the same" in oblivion and skyrim is because all of the books that they shove literally everywhere up to and including ancient tombs were written by kirkbride for morrowind, where they actually made sense and enhanced the plot, which was fantastic and nuanced and subtle and never barfed in your face like the oblivion gates in 4

not a whole lot of games have like half of the game world flat out lying to you without hitting the player over the head with it, morrowind owns

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jim Barris posted:

I loved this movie, except for the single detail that they ran it upside down, backwards and without sound.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I consider Bethesda a worse company than EA. Ok bye.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The combat works fine if you make your character right

it's not very engaging, but you won't miss every swing

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Also the best videogame company is Videlectrix.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Jim Barris posted:

Well I'd disagree about the writing. Oblivion and Skyrim are kind of poorly done but Morrowind nails it by and large. The quest design can be really cool and there's often several different ways to solve problems. A good example of this is the fact that you are often expected to pay attention when you talk to npcs because they give you oral directions to navigate by. Vivec is a really interesting character and so is Dagoth-Ur. I mean yeah, the combat is a little meh but I don't think it's as bad as people make it out.

I didn't play morrowind hardly at all, but a year or so ago I read up on the mystery of the complete and total vanishing of the dwarven race, and I thought it was really cool.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

I'm playing the Gears of War 4 campaign solo...and I'm enjoying it. *shrug* It's pretty fun and the graphics are awesome (at least on PC.)

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Oblivion is better than Morrowind.

Every single other Elder Scrolls game is better than Morrowind.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

a bone to pick posted:

Oblivion is better than Morrowind.

Every single other Elder Scrolls game is better than Morrowind.

Lol, I can't level up too much or a skellington will push my poo poo in.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
That just helps the late game go by faster, the enemies having better weapons means I'll have better weapons. :smug:

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
All my friends keep trying to get me to play Destiny 2, but I think it's just a more expensive money grubbing version of Destiny 1, which I already thought was a lame MMO version of Halo, which I always thought was babies-first-FPS-for-consoles.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Oscar Wild posted:

Lol, I can't level up too much or a skellington will push my poo poo in.

Have you tried not leveling badly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

fruit on the bottom posted:

Have you tried not leveling badly?

Nope, I'm the rear end in a top hat with high dump stats. Here's a popular opinion. Dump stats that lead to dead end characters in 80+ hr games are loving dumb and have been dumb since video games got actual gameplay testing. Looking at you Divinity: Original Sin.