Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

power botton posted:

oh no think of the poor companies. the evil lawmakers are fuckingw ith the free market again

well i mean, we are now living in the cyber-funk future

nothing you say is guaranteed private

corporations rule our governments

it's basically william gibson style now but i can't camp out up on the sfgate bridge (yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
i've been scouting around for places to put my plywood/cardboard shack up but so far, no luck

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
maybe i'll get in on the oakland bay bridge

or just the portland steel bridge

but it's all hosed up

idk

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bonfire Lit posted:

that's fair but making individual people forget anything is not the point of the regulation in question so

in actual practice existing laws like these tend to be used to cover up when some rich/powerful/connected guy gets caught in a massive scandal or something and they want to try to hide as much related documentation as possible. or depending on country, just regular people who are mad about some embarrassing thing they did still being spread. but since people already know about the embarassing thing, newspapers have already been printed, etc etc its not really effective about hiding the thing, though it tends to cause things to rise to get more embroidered.

a particular aspect is that, say, if you search on google.de for a certain person you'll get a message about hidden search results, but if you just go on google.com you can see the thing they wanted hidden just fine.

this particular set of legislation is basically being written and passed in response to several different court rulings along those issues in recent years, for example there was a 2014 ECJ case that led to this http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/files/factsheets/factsheet_data_protection_en.pdf

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Chalks posted:

In a customer management system there's little else besides personal data. Contact details, correspondence, support tickets, order details... that's basically all there is. And it's not just a case of trawling through backups - in the case of an incremental backup you can't even access the data without restoring the increment against its full backup. So you do that and remove the data.. then what? Instead of the 200mb incremental you started with you've got a 200gb full database. What are you meant to do with that?

So we outlaw the use of tape backups, we outlaw the use of incremental backups and we outlaw the use of offline data storage...?

It's perfectly possible to have reasonable data protection legislation without putting a completely unreasonable burden on backup processes. It would be silly to pretend there are only two options, this or literally no control over how personal information is stored and handled.

I think the main reason you're so against this is it's going to be a pain in the rear end for companies who have lovely data storage such as yours

think about it this way: there's going to be a lot of job security when all the corps have to change a shitload of backend and hey at least your days will fly by!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I think the main reason you're so against this is it's going to be a pain in the rear end for companies who have lovely data storage such as yours

think about it this way: there's going to be a lot of job security when all the corps have to change a shitload of backend and hey at least your days will fly by!

How is the mere use of incremental backups and encryption "lovely" data storage? Are you genuinely saying the only way for data backups to not be lovely is for it to be always online and read-write? In what universe would you even consider backups like that without this arbitrary requirement? Running automated destructive scripts on backup data literally undermines the entire point of having backups.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fishmech posted:

hey guess what: that's true.

but also you can't actually make people forget anything, or keep them from talking in private. which is why this is really dumb

do you know something else that has never actually existed? corporations. and we agree to pretend they exist in exchange for them fitting into a legal framework we choose. in this framework they have no right to store personal information willy-nilly

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

lot of fuckups itt atm

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

do you know something else that has never actually existed? corporations. and we agree to pretend they exist in exchange for them fitting into a legal framework we choose. in this framework they have no right to store personal information willy-nilly

corporations have literally existed for hundreds of years.

also people do have the right to store personal information of other people. it's called being conscious. you may not be familiar with it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fishmech posted:

also people do have the right to store personal information of other people. it's called being conscious. you may not be familiar with it.

people may, corporations do not, because corporations are not people

in some places they are legally people, because those places have braindead laws

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I'm a bit late to this but lol if you think GDPR is gonna be anything but a regulatory moat for big and incumbent tech companies.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

mrmcd posted:

I'm a bit late to this but lol if you think GDPR is gonna be anything but a regulatory moat for big and incumbent tech companies.
yeah this

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arcsech posted:

in some places they are legally people, because those places have braindead laws

corporate personhood is one of the worst things we've had from SCOTUS

i mean we've had a lot of bad stuff coming out of the GOP appointed ones but that one nearly takes the cake

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

syscall girl posted:

maybe i'll get in on the oakland bay bridge

or just the portland steel bridge

but it's all hosed up

idk
my recommendation would be to pick a non-moveable bridge

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
wanna see that talk

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arcsech posted:

corporations are made of people, many of who are probably going to remember whatever thing someone's trying to cover up.

corporations are legally people everywhere that corporations exist. that is the concept of the corporation, a single person that acts for multiple.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Go away, Nintendo Kid.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that is a fantastically stupid idea, we are granting corporations rights which the people working for the corporation does not have individually, and the fact that the people will individually remember data is no reason to not dictate how corporations manage data. in fact, we already do in a number of instances. corporations involved in medical fields very notoriously, and if you want to persist in this direction you probably need to dismantle hipaa first, because nurses do have ears

there is absolutely *no* fundamental philosophical reason why this is unnatural/bad/wrong. you are in with idiot libertarian taxation-is-theft shitheads when you try to argue that things simply *must* be as you want them to be. if you want to make a point you will have to make it in terms of desirable outcomes and utility realized.

and along that path there very well may be good arguments, but the arrogant corporate "well, it seems very hard for us to make happen therefore obviously the law is wrong" is way way out of line

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
SHUT
THE
gently caress
UP
ABOUT
THIS
poo poo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

that is a fantastically stupid idea, we are granting corporations rights which the people working for the corporation does not have individually
no we aren't. you have no idea what you're talking about. but you established that from the start when you started whining DURR BUT CORPORATIONS ARE BEING TREATED AS PEOPLE!!!!!

there is absolutely *no* fundamental philosophical reason why this is unnatural/bad/wrong. you are in with idiot libertarian taxation-is-theft shitheads when you try to argue that things simply *must* be as you want them to be. if you want to make a point you will have to make it in terms of desirable outcomes and utility realized.

what are you even talking about at this point. fact is the embarrassing thing people attempt to use these rulings to hide from are likely to be made more notorious by the attempt to hide them.

not to mention that current EU jurisprudence is that most attempted instances of invoking "right to be forgotten" probably won't be approved by legal force, but would instead need to be basically a voluntary thing by the companies involved. your apparent idea of an expansive right everyone already has that is being taken away is not backed by law or courts or sense.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 28, 2017

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

why would you go to defcon ever:
https://twitter.com/JGamblin/status/890998008355069952

in what world is this groundbreaking research:
https://twitter.com/threatresearch/status/890607598738694144

no real surprises though:
https://twitter.com/ldmxcsr/status/891046114501173248

in other news:
https://twitter.com/kaepora/status/890667846837161986

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fishmech posted:

no we aren't. you have no idea what you're talking about. but you established that from the start when you started whining DURR BUT CORPORATIONS ARE BEING TREATED AS PEOPLE!!!!!

what are you even talking about at this point. fact is the embarrassing thing people attempt to use these rulings to hide from are likely to be made more notorious by the attempt to hide them.

haha, oh come on, what are you even trying to achieve? i have made only one post about corporations, but all i did was note that they are legal constructs, never mentioning people. and you can't seriously think that there aren't things that corporations can do that people cannot (though i'd buy share #1 when the fishmech ipo happens). i will yield since i assume people will want to get back to a buffer overflows or something, but you are spewing absolute nonsense man

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

haha, oh come on, what are you even trying to achieve? i have made only one post about corporations, but all i did was note that they are legal constructs, never mentioning people. and you can't seriously think that there aren't things that corporations can do that people cannot (though i'd buy share #1 when the fishmech ipo happens). i will yield since i assume people will want to get back to a buffer overflows or something, but you are spewing absolute nonsense man

Lain Iwakura posted:

SHUT
THE
gently caress
UP
ABOUT
THIS
poo poo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Don't fishmech this thread

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

spankmeister posted:

Don't fishmech this thread

don't worry; he's now whining to me in PMs

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i had an email secfuck this week when i got someone's direct deposit info/address because a company confused the l(L) in his email with the I(i) in mine

oops

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lain Iwakura posted:

don't worry; he's now whining to me in PMs

i stand by this one entirely, i have no idea what your issue even is

the only reason to move to pm was that i was attempting to not post further in the thread, but i don't think we strictly need to save the bits for something else

e: first red-text in my sa posting history! a bit of a landmark somehow

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 29, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
dude understands corporations on about the level ur typical greythread understands a strong digital defense lmbo

Shaman Linavi posted:

i had an email secfuck this week when i got someone's direct deposit info/address because a company confused the l(L) in his email with the I(i) in mine

oops

should have sent him $5

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
apologies for making GBS threads in the good secfuck thread

i think we lost the aleph-lite opsec one

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I can access the hosted data of any of our customers in the us or Canada. Most of it is in plaintext, but for anything that's encrypted I can grab a copy and throw it in a demo copy of our software, or just log in to the client's copy with our hard coded backdoor account.

I thought this would cause trouble when the new York cybersecurity law went into effect but it turns out w use fde on our SANs and self signed certs for connections over the internet so we're fine

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

syscall girl posted:

apologies for making GBS threads in the good secfuck thread

i think we lost the aleph-lite opsec one

the opsec thread was too good for this earth

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

i couldn't make it to this talk to see how bitcoin can solve healthcare

quote:

Over the next ten years, blockchain and distributed ledger technologies will fundamentally change the delivery of care around the globe. The blockchain provides a technical framework where trust is moved from central controlling intermediaries to the open source protocol, freeing data and assets from the control of traditional corporate interests. The great hope is that this evolution will result in the empowerment of consumers, communities, and markets centered on sustainable wellness and environments of health. The coming years represent a unique opportunity to make sure blockchain-based global health initiatives are structured in a way that re-constructs our broken system in a way that improves the lives of individuals and the communities in which they live.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

duz posted:

i couldn't make it to this talk to see how bitcoin can solve healthcare

If you die waiting for the medical chain to confirm, your illness never happened. Healthcare solved.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Was that a Nadim tweet? Is cryptocat still around?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Acer Pilot posted:

Was that a Nadim tweet? Is cryptocat still around?
he went to school to learn how to compute

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

fishmech posted:

If you die waiting for the medical chain to confirm, your illness never happened. Healthcare solved.

getting a second opinion is like waiting for multiple confirmations, right?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

fishmech posted:

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

fishmech posted:

if a cellphone existed I could take it with me on a vacation

if a corporation existed I could take it with me on a vacation just to drop it into the ocean, haha whooops oh no clumsy old me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Max Facetime posted:

if a cellphone existed I could take it with me on a vacation

if a corporation existed I could take it with me on a vacation just to drop it into the ocean, haha whooops oh no clumsy old me

stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

you have made two bad posts almost back to back already and seem generally very sour about this whole issue, so take your own advice

• Locked thread