Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Brother Entropy posted:

'just talk down the nazi' is kinda loving tricky if you're in one of the many kinds of minorities that nazism defines as lesser degenerates

Again I'm not saying it's usually gonna be possible to save the nazis themselves, but I don't think punching them is gonna make them change their minds either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Is there any reason why you two seem to be trying to talk politics with the least amount of effort possible?

I've done this too many times

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Argue for something better than fascism; donate, campaign and vote for candidates who aren't fascist; and report fascists if they commit crimes inspired by their worldview. That pretty much covers it.

Okay here's the issue: you're arguing big picture poo poo. We're not talking about systemic politic change here, we're talking about the actual Nazis on the street. Next time the skins at a gig start picking fights with my south asian mates or give me a kicking because I'm wearing a SHARP patch you want me to try and persuade them to be better people as we bleed on the floor?

It's disempowerment. Knock them in the face on the street and they lose the fantasy of being big hard defenders of civilisation and everyone is safer

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Again I'm not saying it's usually gonna be possible to save the nazis themselves, but I don't think punching them is gonna make them change their minds either.

it's not about changing their minds, it's about showing everyone in the area that nazism will not be tolerated

every nazi walking around in public and left alone is an implicit threat to minorities

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Is there any reason why you two seem to be trying to talk politics with the least amount of effort possible?

Go back to D&D

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well, protests aren't places to convince other protesters, they're a place to convince bystanders.

ok then, well the goal is to convince bystanders that being a nazi is dangerous to them personally, and it has been wildly successful without having to kill a single nazi

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

like the most violent thing that you can tie antifa to was make this big fucker think he could mouth off to some armenian gangsters and think that he could get away with a punch in the nose instead of a stabbing

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

Okay here's the issue: you're arguing big picture poo poo. We're not talking about systemic politic change here, we're talking about the actual Nazis on the street. Next time the skins at a gig start picking fights with my south asian mates or give me a kicking because I'm wearing a SHARP patch you want me to try and persuade them to be better people as we bleed on the floor?

Bud, if they commit violence against you or your friends, then you're 100% justified defending yourself. That's not the situation I'm talking about.

Brother Entropy posted:

it's not about changing their minds, it's about showing everyone in the area that nazism will not be tolerated

every nazi walking around in public and left alone is an implicit threat to minorities

Well if a Nazi organization commits a hate crime in an area, or are discovered planning to, or explicitly threaten to, then yeah. Otherwise though. It's not justified.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Al! posted:

ok then, well the goal is to convince bystanders that being a nazi is dangerous to them personally, and it has been wildly successful without having to kill a single nazi

Well I'm one of those people who think silencing folks about their beliefs through threats is hosed up and immoral.

Al! posted:

like the most violent thing that you can tie antifa to was make this big fucker think he could mouth off to some armenian gangsters and think that he could get away with a punch in the nose instead of a stabbing

Whoa, Cenk Uygur's been busy.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well I'm one of those people who think silencing folks about their beliefs through threats is hosed up and immoral.

white power recruiting drives qualify as planning to commit a hate crime imo (because again historically this is what happens when they are allowed to demonstrate unmolested and with tacit police approval)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
nothing is more convincing than a sock full of d cells.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

also you might find this hard to believe, but when white supremacists are allowed to march freely in an area, it tends to keep minorities from coming out and expressing their viewpoints or even voting

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Al! posted:

also you might find this hard to believe, but when white supremacists are allowed to march freely in an area, it tends to keep minorities from coming out and expressing their viewpoints or even voting

Sounds like people being convinced by the power of the expression of speech to me. Democracy works.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

like that's the thing, nazi germany totally blew js mill out of the water, faith that the marketplace of ideas always roots out the bad ones through reason and logic is just as misplaced as faith that the invisible hand inevitably corrects all economic inequities

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Brother Entropy posted:

'just talk down the nazi' is kinda loving tricky if you're in one of the many kinds of minorities that nazism defines as lesser degenerates

It's almost like they don't see us as human

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone should have shot a bunch of spitballs at the punched nazi instead of making him the punched nazi

everyone would have won

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

someone should have shot a bunch of spitballs at the punched nazi instead of making him the punched nazi

everyone would have won

This but bullets from rifles

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Al! posted:

Then we oughta support minorities and make it clear to white supremacists that we won't tolerate any funny business. And also make stuff like "poll watching" illegal.

Al! posted:

like that's the thing, nazi germany totally blew js mill out of the water, faith that the marketplace of ideas always roots out the bad ones through reason and logic is just as misplaced as faith that the invisible hand inevitably corrects all economic inequities

Aside from the lack of faith in humanity it evinces, why are folks like you always so scared of liberal democracy being weak to fascism? It's taken power in like 0.01% of cases.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the thing about the alt right is even the "colorblind" (lol i cant even) ones belive in the extermination of the muslim faith (and anyone who refuses to give it up)

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
can we just agree and say both sides have gotten UH SORRY BUT CASTLE DOCTRINE as gently caress here

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
i also read like 2-3 posts and just came in here wild though

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Then we oughta support minorities and make it clear to white supremacists that we won't tolerate any funny business. And also make stuff like "poll watching" illegal.

Aside from the lack of faith in humanity it evinces, why are folks like you always so scared of liberal democracy being weak to fascism? It's taken power in like 0.01% of cases.

That 0.01% did end up starting a 100,000,000 death war. Best not let it happen again.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

That 0.01% did end up starting a 100,000,000 death war. Best not let it happen again.

Yeah authoritarians (and some anarchists apparently?) are real keen on folks giving up their rights to save us from an extremely unlikely bad thing happening.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i have tons of faith in humanity which is why i believe that fascism can be kept at bay with a few well-timed punches

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah authoritarians (and some anarchists apparently?) are real keen on folks giving up their rights to save us from an extremely unlikely bad thing happening.

Happening again

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

lol you must be new to this thread

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Happening again

I must really not be paying attention to be missing the 100,000,000 death war with fascists going on right now.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
My bad ww2 only killed 80 million. What a maroon!!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

My bad ww2 only killed 80 million. What a maroon!!

Uh that wasn't my point

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

who said anything about giving up rights

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

also it doesnt have to escalate to the level of ww2 for innocent people to be targeted and killed because of their skin color

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm fine with people punching Richard Spencer for example because threat of arrest is naturally going to limit such behavior and there's not a big threat of spiraling political violence. I'm more worried by people who would advocate that we ought to have the government suppress people like Richard Spencer by repealing or ignoring the first amendment.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

I'm fine with people punching Richard Spencer for example because threat of arrest is naturally going to limit such behavior and there's not a big threat of spiraling political violence. I'm more worried by people who would advocate that we ought to have the government suppress people like Richard Spencer by repealing or ignoring the first amendment.

which is literally not anything anybody but tankies believe

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

Okay?

I mean I'm scared of snakes but I don't bring it up in every thread

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Uh that wasn't my point

You said fascists very rarely get power, I said when they did it was very bad. Then you apparently forgot the defining events of the 20th century lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

You said fascists very rarely get power, I said when they did it was very bad. Then you apparently forgot the defining events of the 20th century lol

You said WWII is happening again and I said, snarkily, no it's not.

MaxxBot posted:

Guess that's reasonable, I'm just worried about it getting normalized to the point where there's political will for that to happen.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
let the people that want to punch each other punch each other

best to laugh from afar

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This but bullets from rifles

way to miss the point and veer the conversation into your delusions of glory

you can undermine them in so many more delicious ways than killing each other

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You said WWII is happening again and I said, snarkily, no it's not.

Guess that's reasonable, I'm just worried about it getting normalized to the point where there's political will for that to happen.

"Ww2 happened because fascists took power"

"Uh no idiot,ww2 isn't happening right now!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

youre like one of those Rebel Media tits who whinge about hate speech legislation in canada. all ideas are valid and have inherent value! if some guy plasters your your neighbourhood with libellous anti-gay posters, that's somehow much better than if he wasn't allowed to do that! if that gives you anxiety then just respond with your own posters! if we don't allow one kind of speech it's a slippery slope to censoring poop jokes and anime titty cleavage! now, about all those dirty thieving gypsies coming over here...

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Jul 29, 2017