Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

And then there was that guy who stuck his head out the window and Bat-Man swooped in and snapped his neck with a swift kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Schwarzwald posted:

is there an angry birds cameo?

surprisingly enough I did not see one.

the only bird in the movie was the Twitter icon, which a character summons and rides to save other characters

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm sorta impressed. Like I feel like this is the first time in ages that the full Hollywood apparatus, marketting at all, has produced a genuine, universally acknowledged, animated turd (pun intended) and pushed it to theatres with the full force of mass market machinery. Even crap like Angry Birds bottom out at about 40%.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/890983072161816576

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Sure, if you live in a city where it's actually shown. :argh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay I went and watched Batman: Mask of the Phantasm for the first time because of the recent discussion in this thread and ehhhh it was okay I guess? Watching a long episode of the classic animated series with an actual film score behind it was probably the best part about it. The Godzilla fight with the Joker in the scale model of Gotham was also great but sadly quite short. The plot was way too predictable, they gave themselves away when they showed that Andrea could kick Bruce's rear end with judo right at the start.

Edit: spoilered in case anyone else hadn't seen it and was thinking of watching it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I looked it up, he hung a guy out a skyscraper window to force a confession out of him in Detective Comics #28 1939 which was only the second Batman story ever published. :v:

I don't really count early "guns and killing" batman but it's not much of a stretch.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

Sure, if you live in a city where it's actually shown. :argh:
https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/890983972112650240
:saddowns:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Girl Without Hands is going to completely sell out in every theatre it's in. Take that Sony and Universal. :smug:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Okay I went and watched Batman: Mask of the Phantasm for the first time because of the recent discussion in this thread and ehhhh it was okay I guess? Watching a long episode of the classic animated series with an actual film score behind it was probably the best part about it. The Godzilla fight with the Joker in the scale model of Gotham was also great but sadly quite short. The plot was way too predictable, they gave themselves away when they showed that Andrea could kick Bruce's rear end with judo right at the start.

Edit: spoilered in case anyone else hadn't seen it and was thinking of watching it.

"Oh, a new character. There's your villain."
It's my understanding that MotP is by far the most popular animated Batman film, but I liked Under the Red Hood way more. :saddowns:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Das Boo posted:

"Oh, a new character. There's your villain."

I think they tried to work around that by introducing another new main character right at the start of the film as well. Also I noticed in the credits that the actor who played her father also did the modulated voice for the Phantasm which was a nice touch.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

suggesting that as an alternative to Emoji Movie for the kiddos, from what I understand, is utterly blinkered

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I think they tried to work around that by introducing another new main character right at the start of the film as well. Also I noticed in the credits that the actor who played her father also did the modulated voice for the Phantasm which was a nice touch.

They tried, but you knew. You knew.
That is neat, though; I didn't pick up on it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As average as the Batwoman movie was, I did appreciate the resolution to who she was. They introduced three women who could potentially be Batwoman. Which woman was she? All of them.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Patrick stewarts career when downhill the moment he crossed paths with seth macfarlane and the emoji movie might be rock bottom.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Patrick Stewart is amazing on American Dad. Say what you will about Seth MacFarlane's shows, but he is good about reviving careers of old TV dudes.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Still probably a better career decision than what I just learned today was Sean Connery's final film (not League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as I'd been led to believe):

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I remember hearing the creators of that getting pissy that Brave got selected by the Scottish National Party as a representative of Scotland over that ugly mess.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Shadow Hog posted:

what I just learned today was Sean Connery's final film

What the hell man, don't scare me like that

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So is that worse than LXG? Because it looks that way to me.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Sir Lemming posted:

What the hell man, don't scare me like that

I mean, he's not wrong if he's retired, but that said I did a double take and checked too.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

Or like, fuckin, the Youtube Movie.

I would be OK with this if it was actually a stealth remake of A Face in the Crowd only with streaming video instead of radio and television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RO3mtyHwz0

Shadow Hog posted:

Still probably a better career decision than what I just learned today was Sean Connery's final film (not League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as I'd been led to believe):

The worst thing about this movie is that it's not even the good kind of bad, it's mostly just really boring and dumb. The only amusing thing about it is the fact that Alan Cumming playing a gay goat who wears a black Game of Death tracksuit for some reason.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The only reason Sean Connery came out of retirement to do that movie was because it was like the first CG animated movie entirely produced in Scotland and dude's mad patriotic.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Waffleman_ posted:

The only reason Sean Connery came out of retirement to do that movie was because it was like the first CG animated movie entirely produced in Scotland and dude's mad patriotic.

I thought he said he'd do it before he really knew what it even was, purely because it was Scottish

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Shadow Hog posted:

Having watched this with some friends for a laugh, we discovered that apparently the only reason he did the film was to support the animation studio because it was stationed in his home country. Fittingly enough, his last line in the film is an exasperated "oh the things I do for Scotland." :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

props for him for patriotism but that doesn't even look like something that had a commercial release

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The great thing about Connery retiring is that I still see the "Sean Connery doesn't age" meme in the wild every now and then when most people last saw him in a movie almost 15 years ago and if you see what he looks like now he's a tiny shriveled grandpa who definitely looks his age.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aces High posted:

props for him for patriotism but that doesn't even look like something that had a commercial release

Helping to get that movie released feels like the opposite of patriotism. Like, no one's coming out of that movie thinking better of Scotland.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Scotland was a mistake. :scotland:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phylodox posted:

Helping to get that movie released feels like the opposite of patriotism. Like, no one's coming out of that movie thinking better of Scotland.

Especially the Scottish.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Especially the Scottish.

drat Scots. They ruined Scotland.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
"The trouble with Scotland is that it's full of Scots."

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

thelaughingman posted:

Patrick stewarts career when downhill the moment he crossed paths with seth macfarlane and the emoji movie might be rock bottom.

Dude is having the time of his life and getting mad paid while doing some of the easiest poo poo a working actor can possibly do. I'd love to have a career slump like that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bimmi posted:

Dude is having the time of his life

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sir Crotchsweat Stewart

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/evepeyser/status/889602856789176320/photo/1

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
What's the joke supposed to be? Like beyond the fact that it's in completely poor taste, what loving joke were they even going for.

What kind of parallel could you even draw between those two works. It's not even a pun... I... why...

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

What's the joke supposed to be? Like beyond the fact that it's in completely poor taste, what loving joke were they even going for.

What kind of parallel could you even draw between those two works. It's not even a pun... I... why...

X is popular

Put CHARACTER in place of X

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think it would be really riveting reading if you put a smiley in place of Anne Frank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They saw what Spongebob and Zootopia did and thought they'd give it a try (spoiler: it didn't work)