Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Whatev posted:

Godaaaaaamn that's some bad poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc5gSQxcqgk

I wonder if there was even one single person on the entire Simpsons crew that genuinely thought anything in this scene was funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

khwarezm posted:

I remember they retired Lunchlady Doris out of respect for her actor's death, much like Hutz and McClure after Phil Hartman died.

Then they brought her back, ten years later... why? It just came across as 'eeeehhhhhhhh, who gives a poo poo about respectful little nods to deceased cast members, bring back this particular tertiary character!'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-vuVjiF8Jk

There are more jokes crammed into this scene than the last twenty years of the show.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I honestly feel like the show started getting terrible when they started to rely heavily on slapstick humor. Then they started to make up more and more contrived reasons for Homer to enter a slapstick situation. I would also say that slapstick sort of comedy doesn't really work in cartoons, but then again there are cartoons that were known for their great slapstick humor, so I wonder why it doesn't feel like it ever really worked in the Simpsons..

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

They did some great physical comedy! Another high density laff zone

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Arcsquad12 posted:

There are more jokes crammed into this scene than the last twenty years of the show.

I think this works because everything was focused on one single aspect: media gets carried away as gently caress with reporting high profile cases. Many of the jokes all focused on the same idea. Not a single joke required shoving in a product to make it work, it was based on a fact of life we are all at least somewhat familiar with.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

homer badman is still relevant today

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

get that OUT of my face posted:

The episode works so well because back then Homer was a loving, dumb sitcom dad with no real malice in his personality. It's a shame he's become jerkass Homer in later seasons.

That Pokemon parody is godawful. It's even done in the horrible modern Simpsons animation style. I love the crappy names they come up with for trademarks such as Mapple computers. Here's Homer trying on 'Oogle goggles': https://youtu.be/b1er5t2aXUs

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

The voice actors sound ok and pretty much the same to me other than Marge and all of Harry Shearer's characters since he clearly hasn't cared for 20 years. Marge's voice actress sounds like she's killing her poor vocal cords.

I haven't watched a new episode of the show in god knows how long and Lisa sounds like rear end now

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Whatev posted:

Godaaaaaamn that's some bad poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc5gSQxcqgk

Holy poo poo

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Gil discussion is over, but learning that they actually made him their lawyer really stings given how good he was when he had Hutz to play off.

That's enough, Gil. :mad: Don't drag her down with you.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
https://youtu.be/p8M2tg2RkIQ

Wat?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

At least the percentage of likes helps prove the point that alt-righters have no sense of humor

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I can't bring myself to watch any of the clips people are posting ITT :cripes:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I can't bring myself to watch any of the clips people are posting ITT :cripes:

I actually quit out of the pokemon one because I was embarrassed for the elderly voice actors who sounded like they craved death

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Simpsons writers are now AARP aged republicans

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Homer Badman is more relevant today

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Arcsquad12 posted:

gentle ben is the best goddamn thing

"NOOO BEN"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the op of this thread made a separate thread a while back just to post this clip. i got to the part where one of the administration shakes his head in shame while a caption underneath him explains the joke before closing the tab

SEX BURRITO posted:

'Oogle goggles'
what amazes me about modern-day simpsons is how lazy their spins on real-life company names are. they either add a letter (Mapple) or remove on (Oogle). it was no secret that a fair amount of the early writers for the simpsons were strongly influenced by mad magazine. perhaps the harvard grads who coast on doing a half-assed job should look at the old stuff they did and get some inspiration

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Homer Badman is more relevant today
this is true

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
At what point did Mr. Burns go from the insane villainous bad guy to the goofy, detached old grinch? I think maybe that's been covered, but for his character specifically when was it most noticeable?

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Wicker Man posted:

At what point did Mr. Burns go from the insane villainous bad guy to the goofy, detached old grinch? I think maybe that's been covered, but for his character specifically when was it most noticeable?

that stupid citizen kane episode. it was still early enough in the series to be a funny episode overall and who shot mr burns was still a season away, but I think that's where his character started to noticably change.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

At least working conditions on the show must be better now, there's no way writers there today are staying up all night to come up with funny jokes.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

finalellipsis posted:

that stupid citizen kane episode. it was still early enough in the series to be a funny episode overall and who shot mr burns was still a season away, but I think that's where his character started to noticably change.

Are you badmouthing Rosebud and bobo the bear you lowly degenerate?

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Are you badmouthing Rosebud and bobo the bear you lowly degenerate?

I thought that episode was relatively boring. although I was like 10 when it aired so it sounds like maybe I should watch it again

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

i remember a post from a goon who said that the simpsons have gone on for so long, the characters are parodies of parodies of their former selves. i couldn't tell you when that exact moment was (the guy who talked about a season 5 episode was wrong and dumb as hell) but it was probably after season 9

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I wouldnt be surprised if they have some sort of AI reading news tweets and writing the episodes and jokes that way instead of getting comedy writers

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

I wouldnt be surprised if they have some sort of AI reading news tweets and writing the episodes and jokes that way instead of getting comedy writers

Honestly I feel like a computer could probably write a more competent joke than New Simpsons writers

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

what amazes me about modern-day simpsons is how lazy their spins on real-life company names are. they either add a letter (Mapple) or remove on (Oogle). it was no secret that a fair amount of the early writers for the simpsons were strongly influenced by mad magazine. perhaps the harvard grads who coast on doing a half-assed job should look at the old stuff they did and get some inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guck4FoWQss

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Someone just posted a simpsons picture in another thread and

?????

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

We need a smilie of Homer doing that mouth thing now

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Still makes me laugh thinking of how immensely lovely a cartoon character Dinner Dog must be

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

compuglobalhypermeganet was great too

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

We need a smilie of Homer doing that mouth thing now

seconding :homer:

I'd totally buy it if someone makes a good one

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno if it's been posted in the 50 pages, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHV0qxKbj6U

WTF it's not death metal!!

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
did they really get Judas Priest to do the voice

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

mobby_6kl posted:

Dunno if it's been posted in the 50 pages, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHV0qxKbj6U

WTF it's not death metal!!

not even close to death metal, not even remotely mistakable for death metal :mad:

also I watched that Pokemon Go thing and it was horrible to the point that I felt bad for the voice actors

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Huh looks like they did actually get at least Rob to record it. And they had no idea they'd be referred to as death metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUie42wiSDg&t=258s

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Huh looks like they did actually get at least Rob to record it. And they had no idea they'd be referred to as death metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUie42wiSDg&t=258s

and they did this on the next episode due to the backlash

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

these days they'd just say the knockoff names and expect people to laugh because references = funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

these days they'd just say the knockoff names and expect people to laugh because references = funny

Part of the joke in that scene was that they were knockoffs. Mapple and Oogle are meant to be parodies of real world companies and products but its so loving lazy.

I never thought I would say this, but modern Simpsons could stand to take a page of GTA's book with their fake company names: 'Lifeinvader', 'Ammu-nation', 'Pro laps', they're all usually dumb puns and sex jokes but at least they bother to work a joke into the name itself or at least make a cutting comment on the company they're parodying rather than just changing one letter and calling it a day.