Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I only tried PvP recently, prior to SB while I was trying to round up gear. I actually enjoyed Feast, mostly because it is straightforward. Frontlines (or at least Shatter) I found to be a goddamned mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I wonder if blue mage would ever show up. They're probably my favorite job in FF after the iconic black mage.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I still have a reflexive fear of the elementals left over from FFXI. It's kind of sad to see them neutered.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I... I managed to die in Cape Westwind. :negative:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ghost of Starman posted:

:eyepop:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Congrats, it must've been a challenge to take that much damage that quickly.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I don't even know what killed me! Does the boss have a "reflect" move or something?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ghost of Starman posted:

Were you trying to solo it?

At level 50?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They should add a Swashbuckler class. It's gimmick will be drunkness where you take swigs and the drunker you get the abilities change, like the Machinist. Drink too much and get a hang-over and have to wait before you start drinking again. Would also be a handy excuse during dungeons and the like. Too drunk to do the mechanics properly.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Maybe you stood in the bad and didn't realize it? I don't know if I ever seen that fight last even a minute tho

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 29, 2017

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Holyshoot posted:

please tell that tank under 2k dps they don't need to be in tank stance beyond the first 10 seconds of the fight to establish aggro.

Fister Roboto posted:

1400 dps means they're doing something very wrong. My first clear I did 2100, and that was with staying in shield oath the entire time and even dying once.

I can't speak to what they were doing as I didn't have my own act running but they were definitely in shield the whole fight while our healers were learning so we'll see what's up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well I certainly got a lot more practice on O2S as BLM this evening :suicide:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
full disclosure: we just queued in as a goon 8 stack and lost 600-1400-1600, sooooo

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Reiterpallasch posted:

full disclosure: we just queued in as a goon 8 stack and lost 600-1400-1600, sooooo

The bots are learning, evolving. They already know all your moves.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Obligatum VII posted:

The bots are learning, evolving. They already know all your moves.

Worse, they're creating their own 8 stacks to sit there and do nothing but not be vote kicked

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Oh my god I only just now did the quest chain after you max rep all the HW beast tribes and the Vanu Vanu remain the best beast tribe ever :allears:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

UHD posted:

Oh my god I only just now did the quest chain after you max rep all the HW beast tribes and the Vanu Vanu remain the best beast tribe ever :allears:

That is a weird way to spell Gnath

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Pom Friend 4ever

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

God drat it, denmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQNAwzrdPpE

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have yet to try out Palace of the Dead. How does it compare to running Duty Finder Dungeons in terms of leveling alt classes?

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

The 60 WAR cutscene is pretty hilarious when you're a bikini clad catgirl surrounded by heavily armored roe dudes :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I have yet to try out Palace of the Dead. How does it compare to running Duty Finder Dungeons in terms of leveling alt classes?

It depends on the specific point in the game you're at. It's pretty frequently faster in terms of EXP/minute for DPSes because of the incredibly short queue times, healers and tanks it depends a lot more on.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Unlucky7 posted:

If you have a 10+ minute queue time (ie playing DPS) it will always be faster to do PotD until you're level 60. If you're leveling a healer or a tank, do relevant content (dungeons) if you want to, or do PotD until like 51, then run current highest level dungeon you can until 70.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i did hullbreaker isle for the first time the other day and its song has been stuck in my head ever since, somebody save me

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Hahahaha

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Maximum Chenergy posted:

If you have a 10+ minute queue time (ie playing DPS) it will always be faster to do PotD until you're level 60.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I wonder if blue mage would ever show up. They're probably my favorite job in FF after the iconic black mage.

Blue Mage is always one of those classes that makes people wonder how it would get set up in XIV, with its fairly tightly curated ability system. Best guess would be you'd wind up with a magic class that used monster abilities, but you'd have to teach them with quests or somesuch.

Considering Thavnaria is now uncovered on the world map, I wouldn't be overly shocked to see it appear in the future... but don't get your hopes up for it being like previous FF games, consider the overhauls RDM got to become appropriate for an MMO.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Well they actually made RDM good, unlike literally every other incarnation of it so hey.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well they actually made RDM good, unlike literally every other incarnation of it so hey.

Red mage was good in FF1 (or at least the GBA remake) as a slightly-worse fighter who could heal out of combat to preserve the white mage's MP

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Red Mages are almost always good for early and mid game but drop off hard at endgame in like 99% of their non MMO appearances. That's perfectly fine and doesn't make them bad.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Red mage was good in FF1 (or at least the GBA remake) as a slightly-worse fighter who could heal out of combat to preserve the white mage's MP

Yeah RDM was great in the original, especially in the NES version where you have the spell counter and less healing equipment than later iterations. Having 2 healing helms and a staff or whatever in DoS took away a lot of the difficulty that came from needing to shepherd spell casts and potions to make it all the way through late game dungeons.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Red Mages are almost always good for early and mid game but drop off hard at endgame in like 99% of their non MMO appearances. That's perfectly fine and doesn't make them bad.

Aren't they super good in XI as well?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Daerc posted:

Worse, they're creating their own 8 stacks to sit there and do nothing but not be vote kicked

I'm so happy frontline bots and base afk'ers are not a thing in the JP datacenter.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

!Dualcast is one of the strongest abilities in FFV, so even if !Red falls off too hard in the long run you have to remember fiesta was never really the intended path for the game and other mages with !Dualcast are incredible
im not really sure what !red would need to get to have more legs but not just supplant !black though
access to fourth tier !white would be nice though

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I dunno about nowadays, but back in the day there were great.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I cannot for the life of me remember anything that stood out about FFXI's RDM, other than that they could enchant their weapon (enfire, enblizzard, etc) to give their weapon a magic bonus.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
XI RDMs were just a refresh battery.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

kirbysuperstar posted:

XI RDMs were just a refresh battery.

Did they explode?

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I still like the idea posted a while ago of Blue Mage being a tank with weaponskills who builds gauge to cast monster skill flavoured spells, like a reverse red mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

RME posted:

!Dualcast is one of the strongest abilities in FFV, so even if !Red falls off too hard in the long run you have to remember fiesta was never really the intended path for the game and other mages with !Dualcast are incredible
im not really sure what !red would need to get to have more legs but not just supplant !black though
access to fourth tier !white would be nice though

Letting Red Mage have Level 4 Magic would be enough imo to let it be usable the whole game normally. Bio is twice as strong as the -ra Spells and having Shell, Blink, and Esuna would be useful. Come endgame and doublecast will make up for lack of power.