Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Vosgian Beast posted:

you know I never really understood the consensus that the first Matrix film was amazing and then the rest were horrible

They all seem about the same to me. They're all CGI heavy action films with a lot of slo-mo and goofy philosophy bits.

It's the Star Wars thing. The first film was a watershed. It would be difficult to overestimate the cultural impact The Matrix had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Anyone watch Ozark on Netflix? I'm only two episodes in and it's a lot darker than I was expecting. Still has funny bits, but does it ever lighten up (and is it worth finishing)?

I just finished season 1 of Westworld so I'm not looking for something entirely soul killing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!
I wouldn't compare it to Star Wars. All 3 of the original SW films are close to equally well loved and most people regard them as a package deal, whereas I think the first Matrix was the only one that seemed to stick with people.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Basebf555 posted:

The original is just tighter, it's a well-oiled machine. The sequels are bloated in parts, which is very noticeable because of how perfectly paced the original is.

Yeah it really comes down to the pacing. I'm willing to entertain the possibility that the sequels have something clever or interesting to say, but they meander horribly and outside of a few good setpieces the action just gets repetitive and tiring.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's the Star Wars thing. The first film was a watershed. It would be difficult to overestimate the cultural impact The Matrix had.

Yeah, it's one of those films that in retrospect is kinda goofy and full of cliches nowadays, but only because it was so influential it created half the cliches. From bullet time to red-pill/blue-pill, at the time it was just so goddamn cool. The sequels broke a lot of that magic by spending far too much time doubling down on the goofy poo poo and being all around bloated.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is Lair of the White Worm (1988) worth watching? Just popped up in my twitter feed, and I remember hearing about it, but never actually watching it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

Is Lair of the White Worm (1988) worth watching? Just popped up in my twitter feed, and I remember hearing about it, but never actually watching it.

Definitely yes. It's pretty ridiculous but in a good way. Great cast too. It's very well liked over in the horror thread.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

mike12345 posted:

Yeah it's hilarious and good.

It has young Hugh Grant and young Peter Capaldi and more phallic symbols than you can shake a penis at.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

I wouldn't compare it to Star Wars. All 3 of the original SW films are close to equally well loved and most people regard them as a package deal, whereas I think the first Matrix was the only one that seemed to stick with people.

I think a lot of the critical love for Empire and Jedi to a greater extent was a reappraisal of what was then the whole series, at the time of the original Star Wars there was an absolutely immense sea change in the way films were marketed (and especially merchandised). The appreciation for the trilogy came later, not that this will necessarily happen with The Matrix.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have the Wackowskis made any public statements recently about where they are on the idea of doing another Matrix film? I know Keanu has said he'd do it(gently caress it they'll figure out a way to bring Neo back), but he was very clear that he'd only consider it if the Wackowskis are involved.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 28, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Have the Wackowskis made any public statements recently about where they are on the idea of doing another Matrix film? I know Keanu has said he'd do it(gently caress it they'll figure out a way to bring Neo back), but he was very clear that he'd only consider it if the Wackowskis are involved.

Old Man Neo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rough Lobster posted:

Anyone watch Ozark on Netflix? I'm only two episodes in and it's a lot darker than I was expecting. Still has funny bits, but does it ever lighten up (and is it worth finishing)?

It actually pretty much just keeps getting better, a lot better from where it is at episode 2.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mike12345 posted:

Hell yeah

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Weird coincidence re: original Funny Games. 3 of the 4 principal actors are dead.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Except most of the star wars movies after the first were pretty good.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Rough Lobster posted:

The only thing I like about the second and third Matrix movies is Monica Belucci, the fight scene with medieval weapons, and when Neo flies so reality-bendingly fast he's carrying cars and poo poo in his wake.

That and the Tea House fight are my favorite moments, even though Keanu at the time looks comically slow against an actual martial artist. I loved the sequels in high school, but they really pale in comparison to the first one. Having a character struggle with godhood could have been so much more than it was. The cinematography in the first one also seems much, much better than the sequels.

mike12345 posted:

Absolutely. The book is terrible because Stoker wrote it after having a stroke. The movie is great though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

coyo7e posted:

Except most of the star wars movies after the first were pretty good.

The contention is that all the Matrix films are basically the same but only the first is considered good. I sort of agree but the thing you have to consider is the way The Matrix 1 was recieved when it was released.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Absolutely. The book is terrible because Stoker wrote it after having a stroke. The movie is great though.

Man, could you imagine being the newspaper guy having to type-up that article?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Rough Lobster posted:

I just finished season 1 of Westworld so I'm not looking for something entirely soul killing.

No it gets darker. Not a comedy because Bateman has to do his straight man shtick solo

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I definitely remember my feelings about the Matrix sequels at the time basically boiled down to that I thought the 2nd movie was okay, but it needed a strong 3rd movie to make it worthwhile. But then the 3rd movie was such a massive piece of poo poo, that it retroactively made the 2nd movie terrible.

I think one thing you miss if your first experience with the movies is a marathon is the time factor. It's something that comes up a lot with TV shows I know, that if you binge through a TV show sometimes it's tough to figure out why a season or series finale is really poorly received. When you binge watch, you wait a couple hours for a payoff, and it doesn't work, it's pretty easy to shrug off. If you watch it as the show airs, that could be months or years that you've been waiting. I think if you want to get at the heart of the problems with the sequels your matrix movie marathon should consist of watching the first one 2-3 times, then the second, maybe the second one again, and then the third.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Simplex posted:

I think if you want to get at the heart of the problems with the sequels your matrix movie marathon should consist of watching the first one 2-3 times, then the second, maybe the second one again, and then the third.

I kind of love this idea actually.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Simplex posted:

I definitely remember my feelings about the Matrix sequels at the time basically boiled down to that I thought the 2nd movie was okay, but it needed a strong 3rd movie to make it worthwhile. But then the 3rd movie was such a massive piece of poo poo, that it retroactively made the 2nd movie terrible.

I think one thing you miss if your first experience with the movies is a marathon is the time factor. It's something that comes up a lot with TV shows I know, that if you binge through a TV show sometimes it's tough to figure out why a season or series finale is really poorly received. When you binge watch, you wait a couple hours for a payoff, and it doesn't work, it's pretty easy to shrug off. If you watch it as the show airs, that could be months or years that you've been waiting. I think if you want to get at the heart of the problems with the sequels your matrix movie marathon should consist of watching the first one 2-3 times, then the second, maybe the second one again, and then the third.

That makes a lot of sense actually

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
With the matrix movies I always said if the sequels were about half as good as the first one they would be fine. And they were about half as good as the first one.

The cgi in the second movie was hilariously bad though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Field Mousepad posted:

With the matrix movies I always said if the sequels were about half as good as the first one they would be fine. And they were about half as good as the first one.

The cgi in the second movie was hilariously bad though.

It's a similar situation so the Star Wars prequels, where they really should be given credit for moving the industry forward, but that the industry then left them behind to the point that they now look very dated. Also like the Star Wars prequels, not everything is as dated as the stuff that sticks out the most, people still watch the highway chase and consider it to be one of the best action scenes ever filmed.

It's the kind of thing that's happened again and again in the world of special effects. Techniques are developed and take major leaps forward, and the people who make those leaps aren't necessarily the same ones who figure out how to best integrate those techniques seamlessly into a film.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man Ozark was great, but I was expecting it to be 13 episodes so when episode 10 was done I was a bit disappointed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The contention is that all the Matrix films are basically the same but only the first is considered good. I sort of agree but the thing you have to consider is the way The Matrix 1 was recieved when it was released.
A friend of mine pirated the first one before it was released and we watched it in his dorm room, everybody I knew was super excited to see it, and most of them really thought that the pseudophilosophical premises that the movie made mainstream were mind-blowing. I thought it was kind of dumb and boring, and that Keanu Reeves was a terrible casting choice. I still am not impressed by it and feel that the sequels aren't really worth sitting down and watching on purpose. But I sure as hell always am considering how it was initially received, because it boggled my mind that people were so into it and made such a stir about it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

What does pseudophilosophical mean

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

DeimosRising posted:

What does pseudophilosophical mean

Roughly the same thing as pseudo-intellectual.

I enjoyed the goofy Philosophy 101 element of The Matrix until I took a real philosophy class and had to sit next to some loving goon who tried to tie everything back to The Matrix. I hated him, and I spent a couple years hating the movie by association.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
At least you didn't have a philosophy course with a professor who wrote a book about the philosophy of the Matrix.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!
Catching up on season 2 of fear the walking dead and this show is so truly horrendous I get angry watching it, yet I keep watching it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I liked Ozark, the performances were all very good at the least and a lot of the side characters are given real depth. Bateman's character is fun to watch weasel his way out of increasingly dire circumstances, and the show gives a fair shake to the locals in Ozark by portraying many of them as clever, sensible people well aware of their poor situations and not about to be hoodwinked by any outsider. There are problems in the show that I won't discuss because I think even obliquely discussing them would spoil too much. The cinematography is beautiful, too. A solid show.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Gann Jerrod posted:

At least you didn't have a philosophy course with a professor who wrote a book about the philosophy of the Matrix.

I just want you to know that you have my sympathies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Filthy Hans posted:

I liked Ozark, the performances were all very good at the least and a lot of the side characters are given real depth. Bateman's character is fun to watch weasel his way out of increasingly dire circumstances, and the show gives a fair shake to the locals in Ozark by portraying many of them as clever, sensible people well aware of their poor situations and not about to be hoodwinked by any outsider. There are problems in the show that I won't discuss because I think even obliquely discussing them would spoil too much. The cinematography is beautiful, too. A solid show.

I finished it last night, other than some problems with the finale it was great through and through and I suspect a second season will be very good, assuming it gets one (and I think it will, buzz has been good).

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Matrix is okay as a "baby's first allegory of the cave" movie but The Truman Show is probably better

And a better movie

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Speaking of comparing The Matrix to other films, is Dark City streaming anywhere?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LogisticEarth posted:

Speaking of comparing The Matrix to other films, is Dark City streaming anywhere?

It's on Hulu last I checked.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Gann Jerrod posted:

I had a professor in college who taught awesome philosophy of film courses that covered old romantic comedies like Bringing Up Baby, and for the first week of the class I couldn't place it but knew I'd seen him before. He was featured in one of the special feature segments for the Ultimate Matrix edition :v:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I had a professor in college who taught awesome philosophy of film courses that covered old romantic comedies like Bringing Up Baby, and for the first week of the class I couldn't place it but knew I'd seen him before. He was featured in one of the special feature segments for the Ultimate Matrix edition :v:

By any chance was it Stanley Cavell?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

mike12345 posted:

Yes it's simply amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I still have the original DVD release of The Matrix and I'm hanging on to it until it's consumed in the fiery inferno of the expanding red HD remastered green as the Amazon sun.