Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

The Great Autismo! posted:

in all seriousness just print this out and show it to every restaurant you go to

你好 要吃素食的 我不可以吃肉 你可以帮助我么?

This seems like an incredibly practical solution.

Thank you everyone, lots of really helpful advice here and I'm feeling better about finding food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheReverend posted:

Looking to take a trip from Shanghai to Bangkok from 9/29 to 10/8. Prices seem expensive online! Is it any cheaper in person in Shanghai?

everything will be crazy expensive because it's a national holiday

supply and demand

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Get those food allergy cards.

You can try to say the words, but when you have a giant gently caress off card then the situation looks more serious.

But if you need to eat veg, you probably need to do research ahead of time. How strict are you?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
for Chinese holidays you have a few options

1. Do some local cool stuff and be ready to have millions of people take your picture and shout at you (if you're non-Asian)
2. Hunker down in your apartment with a 24 pack of qingdao and see how many Star Wars/Harry Potter/Marvel/Dawson's Creek season 3/whatever episodes you can get through before you pass out
3. Travel with everyone else and pay out the rear end for it (everything willl be delayed so have a book or two)
4. *BEST CHOICE* get three days off before the holiday and leave before it gets bad
5. **THE JEOH SPECIAL** kill yourself

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
my kid has been having a meltdown for like an hour and it's my turn with him tonight and I'm just gonna let him cry himself to sleep at this point

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

my kid has been having a meltdown for like an hour and it's my turn with him tonight and I'm just gonna let him cry himself to sleep at this point

in all fairness to him I would also have a meltdown if I was my father

heyooooooo

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
During busy holidays, just go to the 2nd or 3rd famous places. Heck even if you are at the super busy places, if you avoid the main road then everything is quiet and peaceful.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

caberham posted:

Get those food allergy cards.

You can try to say the words, but when you have a giant gently caress off card then the situation looks more serious.

But if you need to eat veg, you probably need to do research ahead of time. How strict are you?

Oh you know I'm not going to complain if the wok hasn't been sterilized or it's served on the same platter but by the same token picking around chunks of meat just isn't my idea of a good time.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TheReverend posted:

Looking to take a trip from Shanghai to Bangkok from 9/29 to 10/8. Prices seem expensive online! Is it any cheaper in person in Shanghai?

That's the national holiday and Thailand is the #1 international destination for Chinese people during that so yes it's gonna be p much the most expensive time you could go to there, or mostly anywhere.

For a lot of people that's the only long time off all year they get they can actually travel somewhere fun that's not their ancestral hometown to visit grandma so international travel especially gets pricy.

e: didn't see the new page!! whoops

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Oh you know I'm not going to complain if the wok hasn't been sterilized or it's served on the same platter but by the same token picking around chunks of meat just isn't my idea of a good time.

Definitely agree, a Buddhist food card will help as well. That's probably the first thing Chinese people will think, when they think of vegetarians

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

what usually happens though is that the waitress says "ok" and then brings you whatever poo poo she feels like

no, not really. just send it back if it does happen, but it usually won't. dunno why you guys have had other experiences, but that's been really rare for me and friends. i eat seafood so it's a lot easier choice wise but i've known a bunch of full on vegetarians and they had no real issues either

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

however, if you're tagging along with others sometimes you'll have to eat boring food while they eat really good food. if you can pick places yourself, it's nbd

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

a7m2 posted:

no, not really. just send it back if it does happen, but it usually won't. dunno why you guys have had other experiences, but that's been really rare for me and friends. i eat seafood so it's a lot easier choice wise but i've known a bunch of full on vegetarians and they had no real issues either

I enjoy that I've posted about this and everyone always responds like you just did and then the one time i met caberham for lunch in one of the nicest malls in tianjin the waitress brought me the wrong thing I ordered and when we said I ordered something different they just stared at us like :stare:

It happens all the time, unless you're only going to like McDonald's and KFC

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
yeah the "just send it back if it does happen" basically means "someone in the back will hand-pick out some of the little ground beef chunks from your dish until it superficially looks meat-free and then brings it back to your table"

If it's a much broader "this isn't the dish I ordered" deal, it's going to be a moderately-sized fight with the waitress and possibly the manager, unless it's a place like Starbucks or Blue Frog or some other semi-western place. The only exception here is if it was actually meant for a different table, because then nobody has to do any extra work.

one time i had brunch with a friend at one of these expat-targeted british restaurants in shanghai, and my friend had made a request like "Actually with this english breakfast, can i have it without the fried tomato and have more mushroom?" and I'd started to say to him "holy poo poo dude youre going to kill them, theres no way that'll w-" and at that moment the waitress said "Sure, of course" and later when the food arrived it was exactly what he'd requested

anyway thats my story and im backing up TGA here that bringing up a customized order or an incorrect order is like throwing a manual transmission into the wrong gear at high-speed

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!

I enjoy that I've posted about this and everyone always responds like you just did and then the one time i met caberham for lunch in one of the nicest malls in tianjin the waitress brought me the wrong thing I ordered and when we said I ordered something different they just stared at us like :stare:

yeah all those vegetarians eating at kfc

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation

yeah all those vegetarians eating at kfc

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LentThem posted:

yeah the "just send it back if it does happen" basically means "someone in the back will hand-pick out some of the little ground beef chunks from your dish until it superficially looks meat-free and then brings it back to your table"

If it's a much broader "this isn't the dish I ordered" deal, it's going to be a moderately-sized fight with the waitress and possibly the manager, unless it's a place like Starbucks or Blue Frog or some other semi-western place. The only exception here is if it was actually meant for a different table, because then nobody has to do any extra work.

one time i had brunch with a friend at one of these expat-targeted british restaurants in shanghai, and my friend had made a request like "Actually with this english breakfast, can i have it without the fried tomato and have more mushroom?" and I'd started to say to him "holy poo poo dude youre going to kill them, theres no way that'll w-" and at that moment the waitress said "Sure, of course" and later when the food arrived it was exactly what he'd requested

anyway thats my story and im backing up TGA here that bringing up a customized order or an incorrect order is like throwing a manual transmission into the wrong gear at high-speed

it happened at blue frog for us, lol. I'd say when I order food there's about a 15% chance that they will somehow screw it up, and if I custom order anything there's about a 50% chance I don't get what I ordered.

Starbucks is the only place where I never have any problems. The dumpling place I go to screwed up my order every time for like weeks 我不要冬菜 and then it comes loaded with 冬菜 until the son of the old people one time took my order and got it right and I told him what had happened and he ripped his parents a new one right then and there. That dude owns and now every time I go back to tianjin I specifically go to his little place and eat there and give him a fist bump. He is the best

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

it happened at blue frog for us, lol. I'd say when I order food there's about a 15% chance that they will somehow screw it up, and if I custom order anything there's about a 50% chance I don't get what I ordered.

Starbucks is the only place where I never have any problems. The dumpling place I go to screwed up my order every time for like weeks 我不要冬菜 and then it comes loaded with 冬菜 until the son of the old people one time took my order and got it right and I told him what had happened and he ripped his parents a new one right then and there. That dude owns and now every time I go back to tianjin I specifically go to his little place and eat there and give him a fist bump. He is the best

At Blue Frog I've managed the "hey instead of a giant slice of bread with this salad can it be extra spinach?" kind of thing but only tried it twice. The only time they got my order wrong it was actually a bonus: My gf had ordered a non-alcoholic margarita during happy hour, and it turned out the free second drink they gave us was incredibly alcoholic. I mean yeah that would suck if we were pregnant or driving home or something, but in this case it was like "oh a strong drink after paying for the much cheaper non-alcoholic version, dont worry I'll drink it if you dont want it"

And yeah Starbucks they often mess up my order (edit: 90% of the time when this happens it's the same lady) but any time I mention it they apologize a bunch and fix it

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Hey so I'm having a little bit of worry about making an rear end of myself culture wise. It's Shanghai so I guess they'll be used to dealing with westerners and more understanding of unintentional faux pas.

I'm basically going to teach a team of Chinese engineers how to write proper software. I think I should be bringing them a gift (thats not a clock, lol) but not sure what's a good gift.

Any ideas? I don't want to Kramer this up with oranges.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cigarettes and booze

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheReverend posted:

Hey so I'm having a little bit of worry about making an rear end of myself culture wise. It's Shanghai so I guess they'll be used to dealing with westerners and more understanding of unintentional faux pas.

I'm basically going to teach a team of Chinese engineers how to write proper software. I think I should be bringing them a gift (thats not a clock, lol) but not sure what's a good gift.

don't give them anything I doubt they deserve it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like to give and receive magnets because there's always a place to put it. But tbh some cute pencils or a box of duty free Ferro Rocher is more than adequate.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

TheReverend posted:

Lot's of snacks from wherever you're from. Avoid the larger, worldwide brands. Don't worry about allergies or any of that kind of poo poo, but super-sweet stuff generally doesn't get eaten very quickly.

My last suitcase (when traveling to China to work with a distributed agile delivery team), a mixture of gifts and stuff people had asked for.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My European business trip

Great coworkers but horrible taste

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Thanks again team!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

My coworkers all like peanut butter cups/etc... and also stuff like yogurt covered pretzels. Most candy I get told is too sweet.

Salty stuff is always popular though.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 30, 2017

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Bring rare herbs and medicinal roots, of the kind traditional to your nation but unknown abroad. I made serious face out of Cod liver oil a while back. Chinese culture prizes Weird Remedies.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

maybe it's just different in guangdong? i eat at local places all the time and it's never an issue

LentThem posted:

oh yeah that first thing is true, but the second i've never had trouble with. granted i've only gotten the wrong dish ten times in almost three years but they've always just taken it back without complaint

i'm not sure why you guys are having such different experiences. it's piss easy to not eat meat in china

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 1, 2017

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

a7m2 posted:

maybe it's just different in guangdong? i eat at local places all the time and it's never an issue

Usually it's my official forum job to say TGA is wrong and experiencing weird poo poo but in this case I agree with him. I did the vegetarian thing for a little over 18 months and got meat all the time even when I asked without it. Generally be crap like ground meat or other gristle and I could just pick around it or order dishes I knew didn't have meat, so it was pretty easy I agree.

But if you're new here and don't speak Chinese it can be hard. I can think of a few very common dishes like Mapo tofu and gan bian sijidou which may or may not have meat in them depending on the restaurant, and may vary from a few small chunks to half the dish being ground pork. One of my favorite dishes here in sichuan is qian ceng tofu and depending where I order it it has no meat to some ground pork to giant fatty slabs of pork belly--all are delicious.

And some people I've met are super duper strict "if anything looked at a dead animal I won't touch it" in which case you ain't eating much in China outside of specialty restaurants.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation

a7m2 posted:

oh yeah that first thing is true, but the second i've never had trouble with. granted i've only gotten the wrong dish ten times in almost three years but they've always just taken it back without complaint

i'm not sure why you guys are having such different experiences. it's piss easy to not eat meat in china

It's that Guangdong really is better. I've been friends with about 10 vegetarians here and with basic conversational Chinese they made it work with meat incidents being a rarity.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

Usually it's my official forum job to say TGA is wrong and experiencing weird poo poo but in this case I agree with him.
omg :woop:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
It is only easy to not eat meat in China if you accept that pork is a vegetable.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sure of course you can get something without pork in it, it's called Dessert *

*mooncakes made with lard

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

peanut posted:

Sure of course you can get something without pork in it, it's called Dessert *

*mooncakes made with lard

Lardy Mooncakes is my favorite bbw jav idol

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Anyone here know what's the average cost of living like in Shenzhen, and is it possible to live on the outskirts of town close to Henggang? How's commuting like? Got offered a job which would require me to work in Henggang.

I don't drink often, maybe once or twice a month, bigger into culture / arts / hiking / gym. Heard that 10k RMB post tax would give me a pretty decent standard of living.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Heard that 10k RMB post tax would give me a pretty decent standard of living.

I don't know the specific cost of living there, but from what I hear this too low for SZ. Probably OK for Henggang

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So I sure am on a plane to Beijing and BOY am I the only person on this exit row. It's goddamn Christmas.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Hello!

I'm working my way through the thread, but wanted to ask while I do:

My wife and I have a small but growing chance of moving to China in the next year or so. I don't know exactly where yet.

Researching all of this has been a little overwhelming because there's so much info on so many sources. If you had to give me like a Top Ten list of "very important things to know/start researching now", I would be very very appreciative. Thank you!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
1. How to speak Chinese
2. How to read Chinese
3. Taobao

Hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Being able to use chopsticks would be a pro move.