Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The pacing in stormblood's main plot is pretty schizo, and a big part of that is the timing of the trip east. The Azim Steppe arc managed to introduce a handful of new characters, an entirely new conflict, set its own stakes, and resolved that plot before it wore out its welcome. FFXIV not!mongolia even managed to get a bunch of players to care about what was essentially a sidetracking quest in the span of two levels worth of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

My biggest complain is that Rhalgar's Reach is very brown. And the surrounding villages all have people standing around outside their front doors with random crates and things like they just got evicted. It's especially weird with the ones who live in yurts. Like, how do you lock yourself out of a yurt?

I didn't mind the empty areas in HW as much because they looked really cool and they were supposed to just have dragons and moogles as far as I know

Kugane also feels sort of desolate to me outside of the areas directly adjacent to the bridge. Maybe they'll add stuff there later when they continue the MSQ

e: The steppes were really good though, other than everyone locking themselves out of their yurts

They stopped doing indoor areas mostly with SB, and my camera thanks them. Yeah, it's a little awkward to explain in the narrative, but now any time the game wants me to go inside a building it reminds me how much I appreciate the change.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
So I've been trying this game's free trial out during my empty weekends, and I gotta say, it's very nice looking and there's a lot to do!

The MSQ has it's ups and downs, I'm in the middle of the Titan questline and I'm beginning to see what people meant by quest padding, I hoped Y'shtoka saying to knock it off would work, but oh well. Mainly because I'm at L34 MNK and almost at the free cap, so that means grinding another job to this point. I did like the Slyph questline, and the whole Ala Mhigo being a big nothing that leads to a complete nonsequitur spooky mansion was something else.

What's another fun class to play with? Also how do you level up the Chocobo companion efficiently, do I really have to punch/cast/stab random enemies only?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rascyc posted:

They really just need to get rid of experience from the frontlines I think.

:wrong:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Rastan Beeza posted:

So I've been trying this game's free trial out during my empty weekends, and I gotta say, it's very nice looking and there's a lot to do!

The MSQ has it's ups and downs, I'm in the middle of the Titan questline and I'm beginning to see what people meant by quest padding, I hoped Y'shtoka saying to knock it off would work, but oh well. Mainly because I'm at L34 MNK and almost at the free cap, so that means grinding another job to this point. I did like the Slyph questline, and the whole Ala Mhigo being a big nothing that leads to a complete nonsequitur spooky mansion was something else.

What's another fun class to play with? Also how do you level up the Chocobo companion efficiently, do I really have to punch/cast/stab random enemies only?

For the chocobo companion the only real way to level it is to complete the weekly challenge log's companion section. Unfortunately I'm not sure what class would be fun at the trial limitations... Maybe try out one of the tanks or conjurer?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
[quote="“Rascyc”" post="“474849879”"]
They really just need to get rid of experience from the frontlines I think.
[/quote]

Why?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
No particular good reason just a n-day whining about bots post tbqh

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can't get rid of bots without killing the current PvP's popularity as a whole. Bots are just a thing that happens.

I'll take bots over a dead PvP any day.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Instead they could add a new pvp mode that isn't as easily bottable as "find the nearest training dummy and beat on it".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fister Roboto posted:

Instead they could add a new pvp mode that isn't as easily bottable as "find the nearest training dummy and beat on it".

no one running a bot actually cares about winning. I mean it'd help it go faster but ultimately the point of bots is to not trigger AFK timers and to not look so blatantly obvious that they get reported, even if the latter part of this is questionable

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
there's literally no reason to 'try to avoid reports'. they didn't care about botters when pvp was dead and they sure as poo poo don't care about it now.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Some days I punch, some days I kick.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
there's really no way around it other than to try and tie pvp experience earned to contribution, in a way that's actually punitive to people being useless. i understand why they don't want to do it, but c'mon.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Semi-relatedly, I've always wondered if they could manage things so that you don't have a huge spike of people queueing for Omega and other stuff with a weekly reset on Tuesdays that then trails off into nothing. The obvious approach would be like having different people reset on different days of the week but that'd be a no-go because if your reset is Wednesday then you could get a head-start on drops from new content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vOv posted:

Semi-relatedly, I've always wondered if they could manage things so that you don't have a huge spike of people queueing for Omega and other stuff with a weekly reset on Tuesdays that then trails off into nothing. The obvious approach would be like having different people reset on different days of the week but that'd be a no-go because if your reset is Wednesday then you could get a head-start on drops from new content.

The solution would be, I think, to offer reasons to queue, like the Adventurer in Need bonus.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ibblebibble posted:

Some days I punch, some days I kick.

I can kick! I can streeeeeetch!

I'm fifty!

FIFTY YEARS OLD.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
PvP wasn't really dead without exp/Garo. You'd often get strings of 24 people games in prime time. Sometimes the first pop took 30 minutes, but then you could chain queue in. A large part of the issue was Adders never queued, and that's largely been solved by freelancer. The other half of the issue was that the feast gouged the PvP population, which was already small.

If I were to do it, I'd only give exp for the roulette once a day. The roulette would throw you into any 72 man Frontlines or any 8-man Feast. The PvP seasons would rotate between Frontlines (24) and Feast (4). This would also allow the dumb DF server actually rotate different maps/games into Frontlines, because people would stop queueing directly into the PvP flavour of the patch. It'd also stop the split of the PvP population. I'd make season rewards reach down lower in rankings, and have it population percent based instead of "top 100 players" which is dumb, too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They should award cracked clusters for winning front lines.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

They should award cracked clusters for winning front lines.

Make wonderous tails require frontline victory.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I just abandoned a stone vigil hm. who's responsible for this?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Actually I guess adding more rewards for winning won't have any impact on the botting problem, they'll just keep botting and roughly 1/3 of the time they'll win.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Velthice posted:

I just abandoned a stone vigil hm. who's responsible for this?

And I thought it was bad when i got a RDM who kept hardcasting verthunder/veraero

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
So what if he wants to play a melee RDM? You don't pay his sub. Let him go RDM/WAR.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

So what if he wants to play a melee RDM? You don't pay his sub. Let him go RDM/WAR.

That's not even melee RDM. :psyduck:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That RDM clearly just wanted to stab things.

And stab things.

and Stab things.

and stab Things.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually I guess adding more rewards for winning won't have any impact on the botting problem, they'll just keep botting and roughly 1/3 of the time they'll win.
Probably a bit less than 1/3rd since human players still (usually) have an advantage, but yeah. It's the same reason that nerfing XP for losing only seemed to increase the bot population, since it only punishes people who are actually trying to play, and those who are just automating it AFK don't care if it takes a bit longer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

It's really loving cool how Frontlines was fun for a couple weeks and then it got overrun by bots.

Yesterday some player ran to a random corner near our base and afked the entire match. I tried to vote kick him for being afk and it failed. I said in party chat "Oh so we're gonna let this guy afk the entire match and not boot him? Then why do I keep trying?". I was standing next to the guy when someone asked "where is he?" so I used <pos> to point him out. The person who asked where then said "wow the healer (me) is literally sitting here" and 20 points before the match ended they booted me.

So the healer who actually played vs the dps who ran to a random corner of the map and did literally nothing the whole match. Lets boot the former!

Oh and we had one bot in our party as well, who would run to the enemy base, get killed and respawns then heads right on back to the enemy base.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

A couple years ago when Heavensward came out none of the non-teleporting bots worked with flying which was part of the reason they just stayed in North Thanalan forever as far as I know

If they still don't they could add something where you have to flying to a floating island in the PVP instance which should force them back to FATEs

Or they could actually ban them but that doesn't seem to happen very frequently

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm open to to combating the bot issue but nerfing exp seems vindictive to the population as a whole and hurts me specifically because that's the primary reason why I would do PvP over other content.

Botting is lucrative because just not getting kicked from the match gets you a comparatively good reward. Eliminating the reward drives away both bots and players. Auto-detecting bot players is extremely difficult, as a good bot is indistinguishable from a terrible player. So what is there to do?

I'll always be against reducing or eliminating exp, since I think the drawback of bots is outweighed by the benefits of of an accessible and worthwhile duty.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Tie the EXP to reasonably attainable contributions to the match.

Give me experience equal to 2x my damage to Ice and Enemy Players.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Ah, so once you hit 35 on a free trial you stop gaining exp. RIP Monk, hello Gladiator.

I don't know why I thought they'd let me get exp until I was 1 off to level up, maybe .hack G.U. must've driven that mmo misconception into me.

Also, what is everyone's favorite minion?
I think I'm the only one I've ever seen use a chigoe larva.

Rastan Beeza fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 30, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Shere posted:

Tie the EXP to reasonably attainable contributions to the match.

Give me experience equal to 2x my damage to Ice and Enemy Players.

I'll only accept that if I get about what I get now since I am a mediocre player.

My favorite minion will always be the Cactuar Cutting.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

SettingSun posted:

I'll only accept that if I get about what I get now since I am a mediocre player.

I'm thinking like, tie baseline experience to some basic level of contribution and reward damage/healing/kills/assists in addendum.

Tying the exp to team ranking blows. Make the bonuses personal and then who loving cares what the bots are doing since it'll mostly be feeding legit players exp anyway.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I'm a huge fan of the Ugly Duckling I got from living in the palace because I decided to switch classes midway through the MSQ

I'm about to move back there though because they dumped me off at 47 with the next quest being 49. I might as well just grind up all the way to 50.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rastan Beeza posted:

Ah, so once you hit 35 on a free trial you stop gaining exp. RIP Monk, hello Gladiator.

I don't know why I thought they'd let me get exp until I was 1 off to level up, maybe .hack G.U. must've driven that mmo misconception into me.

:3:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rastan Beeza posted:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I like the wind-up Bahamut because sometimes his little Dalamud hat flies off his head and he has to jump into it to bring it back :3: I also like the wind-up Ohl Deeh and the Midgardsormr.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's a tie between my wind-up Susano and Ghido. Both ridiculously cute.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

I like the wind-up Bahamut because sometimes his little Dalamud hat flies off his head and he has to jump into it to bring it back :3: I also like the wind-up Ohl Deeh and the Midgardsormr.

Minigardsormr. =3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Skullcrusher Mountain suffers the effect of Mini.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 30, 2017