Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I've been going through the Seventh Doctor era stuff, and I've gotta say, I like the one where he takes a cruise vacation to Mexico with Benny and Jamie :v:

Every time I think the rabbit hole can't go ANY deeper...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Every time I think the rabbit hole can't go ANY deeper...

The wilderness years were a wild and frightening time. I basically went into a cave, emerged briefly in 1996 and watched the sun come out and then a cloud roll back in the front of it, went back into the cave and popped back out in 2005. There were terrible things that happened outside the cave in the interim. Terrible, terrible things I thank God every day I was hidden from.

Edit: Also there were the monks over at Big Finish building a dark-ages style library.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
How'd you manage the Christmases without Chimes of Midnight?

It just wouldn't be Christmas!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, I don't know. Timothy Dalton is fun and all but the return of the Time Lords amounts to him standing on a platform menacing David Tennant with a Nintendo Power Glove (of Rassilon).

Rassilon being full-on evil was one thing that sort of annoyed me when it came out (and I took things too seriously, because I was a stupid teenager) because I had very limited familiarity with Big Finish and only knew Rassilon from "The Five Doctors", where I thought he was more ambiguous (it's hard to see him as a villain when you get the First Doctor chuckling about how wise he was for realising that immortality was a curse rather than a blessing). Having heard a bunch of Big Finishes where Rassilon's a massive time dick since then, I appreciate it more.

"The End of Time" was my least favourite revival story/episode because I'd built up so many expectations for it as the Tenth Doctor's last adventure and David Tennant's big finale, and it fell short of them. I was hoping it would be this big blowout extravaganza (like "The Stolen Earth" and "Journey's End" sort of were). I realise that RTD was going for something lower key that really comes through in the scenes where it's just Ten and Wilf, and that stuff's great, but then all of the Time Lord stuff leaves it in a kind of awkward halfway house between the two.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The time lord stuff is so wonky in that ep. They show up, do nothing and go back again. Pointless. In true RTD style of course they Deus ex Machina everyone back to normality before they go. Phew, glad we didn't have consequences for that plotline!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's fun watching the Master switch sides three or four times in the space of two minutes though

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

How'd you manage the Christmases without Chimes of Midnight?

It just wouldn't be Christmas!

He spent the holidays in Walford.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Plavski posted:

The time lord stuff is so wonky in that ep. They show up, do nothing and go back again. Pointless. In true RTD style of course they Deus ex Machina everyone back to normality before they go. Phew, glad we didn't have consequences for that plotline!

Yeah but their outfits are impeccable. And Dalton is such fun.

And lol the character wrap up at the end. Martha and Mickie married for some reason?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I did like that in Day of the Doctor, the only acknowledgement that whole thing got was the General all "The High Council's gone completely batshit, let's just ignore them."

I cannot possibly defend The End Of Time as objectively good television. It is nonetheless one of my favorite Tennant-era stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

marktheando posted:

And lol the character wrap up at the end. Martha and Mickie married for some reason?

RTD (chain smoking): Oh God what was the name of Martha's fiance.... Todd? Was it Todd? I think it might have been Todd? I guess I should look it up... oh God is that the time? This loving deadline! gently caress it.... she marries.... Mickey why not? Yeah that'll do.

Moffat was sitting across the room from him chuckling because he's already written all of season 5, and thus felt safe to kind of kick back and not worry about season 6 for awhil-oh God he forgot to write season 6! :gonk:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only episode I disliked as much as "The End of Time" was "Let's Kill Hitler". However, I think the second one is worse on balance, because even though it has Rory punching out Hitler and shutting him in a cupboard, it doesn't include Wilf.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Moffat was sitting across the room from him chuckling because he's already written all of season 5, and thus felt safe to kind of kick back and not worry about season 6 for awhil-oh God he forgot to write season 6! :gonk:

"Rusty, calm down about deadlines, it's not as though anyone would mind if the show just went off the air for a year."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
moffat: there's a... crack? there's a crack in time and it's from....... something... please stay tuned

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

What if...just stay with me...what if there's these machines, and they are completely out of control but not actually malicious, and there's no actual villain in the story?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The only episode I disliked as much as "The End of Time" was "Let's Kill Hitler". However, I think the second one is worse on balance, because even though it has Rory punching out Hitler and shutting him in a cupboard, it doesn't include Wilf.

The End of Time suffers badly because the first part of it is just so, so, so, so goddamn awful: The scene in the quarry with Ten and the Master, and the diner scene between Tennant and Wilf, are literally the only worthwhile bits of the entire episode.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also I could have a child repeat some cryptic phrase fifty-seven times.

(I actually quite like Moffat as a writer more often than not, it's the production side he's clearly not suited to, but the man does favor certain wells.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Moffat: Okay look I know we just kidnapped their baby.... but what if it turns out they unknowingly grew up with their own child as a friend of theirs? That's like... exactly the same as raising a child, right?
RTD: Look I don't care, just make sure you reuse alien make-up with different coloring than previously, and have them claim racism when the Doctor mistakes them for the other race. That poo poo is gold.
Chibnal: Look I'll just ape whatever style you guys want while I bide my time to take contr-scratch that last part, I'm no threat to either of you!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like if RTD had written "The Doctor Falls", it would have started with Cyber-Bill advancing menacingly on the Doctor, only for him to flash the sonic screwdriver at her and instantly zap her out of the suit, all in one piece, then they leg it to the accompaniment of Blondie's "One Way or Another".

I suppose if Moffat had written "The Parting of the Ways", it would have ended with the Doctor telling Rose she can't handle the power of the TARDIS and kissing it out of her before she destroys the Daleks with it, then uses it to destroy them himself while Rose swoons in the background.

:D

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like if RTD had written "The Doctor Falls", it would have started with Cyber-Bill advancing menacingly on the Doctor, only for him to flash the sonic screwdriver at her and instantly zap her out of the suit, all in one piece, then they leg it to the accompaniment of Blondie's "One Way or Another".

I suppose if Moffat had written "The Parting of the Ways", it would have ended with the Doctor telling Rose she can't handle the power of the TARDIS and kissing it out of her before she destroys the Daleks with it, then uses it to destroy them himself while Rose swoons in the background.

:D

it would be revealed that rose's mom is also rose, sent back in time by the power of the vortex

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Moffat and RTD ended up finishing out their time on the show in similar ways, having a big blowout ending and then staying on an extra year to finish out their Doctors' runs. Davies went a bit lower-key for his actual finale than his intended one, while Moffat went the other way and raised the stakes, since the lower key is his key of choice anyway.

corn in the bible posted:

it would be revealed that rose's mom is also rose, sent back in time by the power of the vortex
I was sure that was going to be the twist with the little black girl in The Doctor Falls. I'd say thank God but Moffat has one episode left to fire that gun...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Moffat and RTD ended up finishing out their time on the show in similar ways, having a big blowout ending and then staying on an extra year to finish out their Doctors' runs. Davies went a bit lower-key for his actual finale than his intended one, while Moffat went the other way and raised the stakes, since the lower key is his key of choice anyway.
I was sure that was going to be the twist with the little black girl in The Doctor Falls. I'd say thank God but Moffat has one episode left to fire that gun...

the little black girl is martha, who will be sent back in time later so she can grow up and then marry mickey

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
You never got this type of poo poo with Ten/Donna! :colbert:

Edit - OK, maybe a little bit with Turn Left.

Edit 2 - What ending where she gets her mind erased? You must be mental, I don't remember that at all!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I want to take all these deliberately godawful parody ideas, turn them into actual stories, and just see what happens. Because I bet some of these would be classics if you pitched them the right way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I want to get a job for Big Finish poring over televised episodes looking for even the slightest gap (or suggestion of one) to wedge in 10-15 years worth of stories between moments :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pesky Splinter posted:

I've been going through the Seventh Doctor era stuff, and I've gotta say, I like the one where he takes a cruise vacation to Mexico with Benny and Jamie :v:

Holy poo poo...this is a thing that exists. :aaaaa:

This happened in my timeline.

I'm a bit drunk right now; I'm going to have to come back to the thread tomorrow to see if it's still there and watch it because I have my doubts right now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CobiWann posted:

You never got this type of poo poo with Ten/Donna! :colbert:

Edit - OK, maybe a little bit with Turn Left.

Edit 2 - What ending where she gets her mind erased? You must be mental, I don't remember that at all!

Exciting Adventurous Donna Noble was sent back in time to become Boring Donna Noble Who Hates Her Life And Wants To Kill Herself.

Twice.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 30, 2017

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I always think I liked Planet of the Dead, but then I realize I'm only remembering the scene where the Doctor gets on the bus.

It's a machine that goes 'ding'!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Forktoss posted:

I love how Sylvester doesn't even pretend to give half a poo poo about the whole thing and is obviously making up most of his lines on the spot.

He's been in a good number of utterly lovely fan films, actually. Bunch of Ian Levine stuff too, of course:

(I'm pretty sure he wore crocs as a part of his costume in this one)

This was also the famous fat-Levine-superimposed-on-Gallifrey scene.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

but seriously donna was cool and it sucks how her story ended. like at least martha got to remember what happened

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Even "The Twin Dilemma?" Because, yow, that one is ROUGH.

The Twin what now? I said all 13, from Arc of Infinity to Caves of Androzani, and that's the end of the season.

The end of the season. :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

After The War posted:

The Twin what now? I said all 13, from Arc of Infinity to Caves of Androzani, and that's the end of the season.

The end of the season. :colbert:

It's not the end of the season—whether you like it or not! :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Don't worry, the new season begins with... oh God, Attack of the Cybermen? :gonk:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
argh why do we not have a Thirteen episode yet WHY okay I'm better. I expect I'll have one of those fits every week or so, I'll try to keep them under control seriously where are the episodes where are they.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

marktheando posted:

Lol

I actually started rewatching the revival because my plan to finally watch all of Colin Baker failed. Couldn't get through Trial of a Time Lord. I'd rather watch the worst of Tennent's era.

If you haven't seen McCoy's stuff do that, it's good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

If you haven't seen McCoy's stuff do that, it's good.

Be fairly warned, you gotta get through Time and the Rani first :cripes:

Somebody posted a little while back Andrew Cartmel detailing the build up to season 24 and how pleased he was to get Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor, only to recoil in horror as he dealt with Pip'n'Jane and realized how incredibly lovely the material he'd have to deal with would be. And that was people's introduction to the McCoy era.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Don't worry, the new season begins with... oh God, Attack of the Cybermen? :gonk:

Attack is oka-

It's not ba-

It's not that b-

...yeah.

(I actually think it's better than Vengeance on Varos, which is usually cited as the high mark of qual-, watchability for the Colin Baker era. But I really don't care for Vengeance on Varos at all.)

Poor Colin Baker, it really wasn't his fault.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At least we have several seasons worth of Audio and Comics for Colin that redeem his Doctor

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

docbeard posted:

It's also completely reasonable to acknowledge that something has a lot of flaws but that you don't care a bit about those flaws and enjoy it anyway. (Me, when talking about The End Of Time, for example.)

Not everything needs to be an argument. We're not a debate club, no one's going to win the Doctor Who Thread, we're just a bunch of people who enjoy (or don't, but still like talking about) a television show.

Yeah, I won it years ago and I ain't giving it up now

After The War posted:

even Warriors of the Deep for chrissake, because the underlying themes of that era resonate with me and the kind of storytelling I connect with.

Warriors of the Deep is an interesting one, because every single bit of the world building is marvellous and every single bit of the actual story relies on everyone, the Doctor included, acting like a complete moron to get the next plot point.

"Doctor, we're cut off from the TARDIS and the guards think we're saboteurs!"
"In which case let's ACTUALLY sabotage the base, that'll confuse em"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This might be of interest to some. https://www.humblebundle.com/books/doctor-who-rpg-books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The only part of Warriors of the Deep I've seen is the bit where Ingrid Pitt karate kicks the Myrka and I'm quite content

• Locked thread