Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you can't be bothered with emulation and don't mind touch screen controls the tablet/phone version of FFT is perfectly fine. It's the PSP version with no slowdown, unless you're running it on something from 2012 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

Here's the rundown on magic/techs can be found in chests only and where.

Techs
Shades of Black: Tomb of Raithwall - Cloister of Flame
Numerology: Lhusu Mines - Transitway 1
Infuse: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea - Platform 1 - East Tanks
Sight Unseeing: The Zertinan Caverns - Canopy of Clay - It's a passage that links Nam-Yensa to the Ogir Yensa.
Expose: Lhusu Mines - Site 9
Achilles: Garamscythe Waterway (Revisit) - No. 4 Cloaca Spur - Southeast segment and you need to have the water drained for it.
Bonecrusher: Henne Mines - Phase 1 Dig
Shear: Barheim Passage - The Zeviah Span
Stamp: Mosphoran Highwaste - Trail of Sky-Flung Stone & Rays of Ashen Light - Head to the far eastern side and find a weathered rock that should open up a path to the Rays area that holds the chest.
Charm: The Salikawood - Quietened Trace
Telekinesis: Cerobi Steppe - Old Elanise Road
Gil Toss: Draklor Laboratory - Room 7002 East (Floor 70)
1000 Needles: Sochen Cave Palace - Falls of Time
Revive: Paramina Rift - Spine of the Iceworm
Addle: Henne Mines - Special Charter Shaft - It's got a 10% chance for the chest to spawn. South side of the shaft and it's in the second passageway from the east side of the map. The passage isn't marked on the map.
Wither: Pharos Subterra - Abyssal - 10% chance to spawn hidden room on the north spot on the map.

Wither and Addle are good but don't go outta your way for em.

White Magic
Dispel: Tomb of Raitnwall - Royal Passage
Regen: Giza Plains (Rain) - Nomad Village
Renew: Henne Mines - Special Charter Shaft
Cleanse: Cerobi Steppe - The Terraced Bank - 20% chance to spawn chest. In the center of the room.
Dispelga: The Feywood - White Magick's Embrace
Protectga: Necrohol of Nabudis - Cloister of Distant Song
Bravery: Necrohol of Nabudis - Cloister of the Highborn
Faith: Necrohol of Nabudis - Hall of the Ivory Covenant
Shellga: Great Crystal - It is somewhere in there...
Holy: Pharos at Ridorana - Wellspring Ravel - 3rd Flight

Black Magic
Blind: Giza Plains (Dry) - Toam Hills
Poison: Dalmasca Estersands - Sand-swept Naze
Silence: Lhusu Mines - Shaft Entry
Sleep: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea - Platform 1 - East Tanks
Scathe: Lhusu Mines - Staging Area
Toxify: Barheim Passage — East-West Bypass
Blindga: Tchita Uplands — Fields of Eternity
Silencega: Nechrol of Nabudis - Cloister of the Highborn
Sleepga: Ancient City of Giruvegan — The Trimahla Water-Steps
Flare: Pharos at Ridorana — Spire Ravel - 1st Flight

Time Magic
Vanish: The Tomb of Raithwall — Royal Passage
Reflect: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea — Primary Tank Complex
Balance: Nam-Yensa Sandsea - Demesne of the Sandqueen
Haste: Eruyt Village - Fane of the Path
Countdown: Stilshrine of Miriam - Ward of Velitation
Reflectga: The Feywood — The Edge of Reason
Warp: Nabreus Deadlands — Lifeless Strand
Float: Tchita Uplands - Oliphzak Rise
Hastega: The Great Crystal - Somewhere

Green Magic
Clan Provisioner, nothing really found in chests

Arcane Magic
Death: Paramina Rift — Karydine Glacier
Ardor: Pharos at Ridorana — Spire Ravel - 2nd Flight

For my own reference later

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Well I have multiple modded PSPs, but hey if the best version of FFT is available for a couple bucks on mobile then that's fine by me.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

GulagDolls posted:

ffuck saving the world.....we should like....pick up babes from every single era

That was already one of the endings in CT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SbeBqZ27bQ

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

zedprime posted:

Well, yeah. You can join the Peace Corps today and be a literal RPG hero saving the world, or at least extending length of life and improving quality of life for strangers who would have no bearing on your life at home otherwise. I am not about to join the Peace Corps or go on a time travelling adventure to save the future because I have important things to do like argue about Final Fantasy on the internet and finally play through more than the first half of FF12 now that it has fast forward.

OK, but take yourself out of the shoes of a lazy, cynical nerd on the internet and into the shoes of an enthusiastic teenager who just found out that time travel is real and also who just bought a sweet katana at the county fair.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NikkolasKing posted:

I just want them to have some more concrete motivations than bland, brainless altruism. I like origin stories like Spider-Man because it's very realistic. When given superpowers, what is the first thing you'd do with them? Go out and make some money. It's not selfish or wrong, you're helping those you love. Going out and fighting crime though is just craziness.

It took a great personal shock to turn Peter into what he became. Frog and Magus have powerful reasons to do what they do and it makes them compelling characters. The "kids" meanwhile are just like "let's save the world!" and that's all the thought put into it. That's just not interesting to me.

Plus I just don't like the inconsistency. The first use of time travel in CT is distinctly cautionary. One little thing in one little kingdom had some repercussions. But our heroes proceed to abuse time travel for the rest of the game in ways that could have devastating consequences. (and Chrono Cross seems to have taken that idea and ran with it)

With great power comes great responsibility :colbert:

The CT story is fine! Up until they get to the End of Time they're basically railroaded by events against their will, and then they talk to the old man and he's like look you gotta save the world okay? So then you do. Its not that complicated.

The only real problem with CT is there's no reason why when you go back to a certain time period you can't go back to some point earlier in time and have like 50 chronos running around together just beating everything down like an army of Smiths. But that's a problem with any time travel narrative.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Also, how old were you goons when you played Chrono Trigger the first time? I was like 13 or 14 maybe and it was a cool story. I mean it's not groundbreaking literature but the characters were charming.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Arist posted:

People are gonna say it's the PS1 version because it has the meme lines, but the true answer is iOS because it's the PSP version with no slowdown.

It's also currently half off.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

it also might not be getting a 64-bit update so it will stop working as of ios11 if it doesn't.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Good thing I grabbed it on Android, then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol mobile gaming is terrible

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Sakurazuka posted:

If you can't be bothered with emulation and don't mind touch screen controls the tablet/phone version of FFT is perfectly fine. It's the PSP version with no slowdown, unless you're running it on something from 2012 anyway.

Does anyone know if FFT runs OK on an iPad 3? It'd be nice to have a really good game on the drat thing, and it's on sale now so I'm tempted to buy it and play it again sometime. I think I could cope with an SRPG with touch controls too, I can't stand the virtual dpad poo poo on regular JRPGs though.

some guy on the bus posted:

FF4. Every random battle was a boss battle, it was filled with secrets and super boss battles, and you had the awesome Red Wings theme for it.

:yeah:

FF4 isn't the best Final Fantasy but it's probably my favourite because of stuff like that. The story and gameplay fit together really well, the music is fantastic, boss fights are frequent, and very little of it outstays its welcome. Then I get to fly to the moon and it's loving awesome.

Ventana posted:

13 sold more if you look at the numbers right now, yes. But 15 has sold more now than 13 did by the same time. If it peters out on sales like FF12, then it'll be less. If it has FF13 growth, it'll pick up a couple more million maybe and have around the same numbers. If it somehow has FFX growth, then it'll have a lot more growth for a long time and get more sales than 13. This gets weirder when you factor in other releases or different console sales at the time and such. This is why I think it's far too soon to call 13 as more successful than 15, because it's not clear yet which path 15 could take and each outcome leads to different results.

What you can say is this: 15 has still sold extremely well and is poised to be in the top 5 best selling mainline non-MMO FFs. That itself says to me that non-turned based FF really can perform almost as well as turn based. I don't think it says one is that much better than the other, imo.

I don't disagree that FFXV could outsell FFXIII in the end, I said that earlier. But to be fair we're speaking in hypotheticals. I was trying to make the point in your last sentence -- that the people saying 'turn-based FF is dead' are basing it on nothing. I agree it's not the best comparison but as you said before there's really not a lot to work with here in the first place. I don't think there's any doubt that ARPGs can sell at FF levels, Kingdom Hearts is up there after all, not to mention all the Witchers and Skyrims and whatnot from the Western side of things.

So I agree with you basically, although I'd say that given we have a whopping sample size of one for non-turn-based FF, what info we have suggests turn-based consistently does well over quite a long period of time across numerous console generations, which isn't something we can say about non-turn-based at this point.

I guess the other question is whether it's a good idea to jump into an RPG subgenre already filled with developers with significantly more skill and experience in that area? Is it good for brand identity to stop being the One Big-Budget Turn-Based JRPG? FF has consistently outshone other turn-based JRPGs but it's not so easy with action RPGs nowadays.

There's a danger of wilting in the spotlight when pitted against other action RPGs. Having tried to complete FFXV I personally couldn't justify it anymore when I popped in Dark Souls 3 for a break and ended up playing it nonstop over my whole Christmas break for 110 hours. Then I played Nier Automata, which was creative and weird and fabulously responsive to play thanks to Platinum and had wonderful music. Not that those games outsold XV, mind you, but I do wonder if there's a danger of that if they release another mainline game that competes in that space that doesn't measure up in terms of action and open-world mechanics.

I dunno, I guess I'm saying it's equally possible to suggest that action-based FFs are the riskier move, since you're giving up a notable USP and nestling up against significantly stronger competitors. Also the most recent game's sales could have been propped up by ten years of hype and pent-up fan demand for a new title and might not be predictive of future success. There's just as much evidence as the other argument, i.e., nothing really but it's fun to argue about :v:

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Wheres FFT - 2? Have they mentioned anything about the FFT series recently?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Also, how old were you goons when you played Chrono Trigger the first time? I was like 13 or 14 maybe and it was a cool story. I mean it's not groundbreaking literature but the characters were charming.

I was about 25, maybe 26. I was also probably being unfair to the game, approaching it with the same "so this is the Holy Grail, huh?" attitude that tainted FFVI for me. But whereas VI really subverts expectations, even for someone who knows pretty much all the big twists, CT really remains the same all throughout.

There are brief moments, like Crono's death and Magus being Janus, when I was taken off-guard and they in turn are my favorites. I love Magus being Janus. Also scenes like saving (or not) Lucca's mom That scene feels like it belongs in a different game but regardless, it's very effective. Something about scared and helpless children is just guaranteed to work if you approach it with any sort of skill. (see the Kid flashback of the burning Orphanage)

Also I'm pretty sure CC makes it so we didn''t so much save Lucca's mom as we did save Alternate Universe lucca's mom.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zaphod42 posted:

With great power comes great responsibility :colbert:

The CT story is fine! Up until they get to the End of Time they're basically railroaded by events against their will, and then they talk to the old man and he's like look you gotta save the world okay? So then you do. Its not that complicated.

The only real problem with CT is there's no reason why when you go back to a certain time period you can't go back to some point earlier in time and have like 50 chronos running around together just beating everything down like an army of Smiths. But that's a problem with any time travel narrative.

I think CT's version of time travel involves all time constantly advancing. Like if you were in 1000, then go to 600 for thirty minutes, when you go back to 1000 it'll be thirty minutes after you left.

Though interestingly there is a point during a sidequest where you leave Robo in 600 AD to help regrow a forest, travel to 1000 AD to recruit him after four hundred years of hard work, and then can go back and have 1000AD Robo watch 600AD Robo work the fields.

As for FFT, the PSP version removes the JP cost reductions the English PS1 version has, but it also contains a lot of missing features cut from the English PS1 version like visual novels and I think unique lines for every generic character (though that might've been cut from the PSP version too, don't remember).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

thorsilver posted:

I guess the other question is whether it's a good idea to jump into an RPG subgenre already filled with developers with significantly more skill and experience in that area? Is it good for brand identity to stop being the One Big-Budget Turn-Based JRPG? FF has consistently outshone other turn-based JRPGs but it's not so easy with action RPGs nowadays.

I mean hey, if Nintendo of all companies can came out and make one of the most unique and fun team shooters outta nowhere in Splatoon, I think anything is possible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

I was about 25, maybe 26. I was also probably being unfair to the game, approaching it with the same "so this is the Holy Grail, huh?" attitude that tainted FFVI for me. But whereas VI really subverts expectations, even for someone who knows pretty much all the big twists, CT really remains the same all throughout.

There are brief moments, like Crono's death and Magus being Janus, when I was taken off-guard and they in turn are my favorites. I love Magus being Janus. Also scenes like saving (or not) Lucca's mom That scene feels like it belongs in a different game but regardless, it's very effective. Something about scared and helpless children is just guaranteed to work if you approach it with any sort of skill. (see the Kid flashback of the burning Orphanage)

Also I'm pretty sure CC makes it so we didn''t so much save Lucca's mom as we did save Alternate Universe lucca's mom.

CT is and always was solid, fun JRPG, it's lionization as the greatest RPG of all time is by people who played it when they were 12 and have never touched another JRPG since

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Why would Zelda need to go open world, the West already has that covered"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
From this my conclusion is Final Fantasy should be taken from Square Enix and given to Nintendo.

If not that then I'll settle for Nintendo-developed Seiken Densetsu games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nintendo is doing a good job of losing goodwill by stripping out basic features to sell you plastic tat at the moment so no thanks

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Mega64 posted:

From this my conclusion is Final Fantasy should be taken from Square Enix and given to Nintendo.

My friend let me tell you about a little game called Ever Oasis.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mega64 posted:

I would love to see how badly Nintendo could gently caress up the next FF mmo. It would probably make FF14 1.0 seem like the greatest game ever made.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

I thought that was what he was alluding to.

Although I hope Mega has also heard about Egglia at this point. (Nothing to do with Nintendo, but...)

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
My pro tip for ffxii is to spend a few hours early grinding skeletons on the bridge

It makes the rest of the game more enjoyable to be highly leveled and not really needing to worry about gil imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They really should have removed Gambit Shops entirely or just made them all cost 1 gil and also add a "buy all" button.

I've been doing a regular amount of grinding (actually probably more than I normally would because of 4x) and am just past Bunny Town, and have constantly been broke trying to keep up with weapons/armor/spells so I've actually had to wait on buying Gambits until I actually have the need for them. Maybe that sounds better in theory but it's really not any better than just giving you all of them at once. Even having to buy Gambit Slots is a defensible idea, because it means you can save a ton of LP on characters who don't/rarely use magic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vargatron posted:

Like 8 or 9, I played it on my friend's SNES and it blew my mind.

Replayed it this year though; still holds up.

Mega64 posted:

I think CT's version of time travel involves all time constantly advancing. Like if you were in 1000, then go to 600 for thirty minutes, when you go back to 1000 it'll be thirty minutes after you left.

Though interestingly there is a point during a sidequest where you leave Robo in 600 AD to help regrow a forest, travel to 1000 AD to recruit him after four hundred years of hard work, and then can go back and have 1000AD Robo watch 600AD Robo work the fields.

That is absolutely how it works, but there's no reason why a time travel machine should behave that way. If you say 1000 AD January 1st 1AM, it should take you to 1000 AD January 1st.

They'd have to introduce some kind of "time paradox" element where you're prevented from running into yourself, and have the Epoch automatically track the passage of time in each period to prevent that.

But yeah... even then it plays hard and fast with its own rules. The eponymous "chrono trigger" requires you to cross over a time period you were previously in; although it is a special exception.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 30, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Also, it's the first game that I can remember that the main character gets killed in the story. Like you can potentially finish the game without Crono if you wanted to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chrono Trigger is super well paced and relatively short and used its length to add New Game plus (and basically make the feature an understood and desired thing) and a bevvy of neat things and character moments with it that make it stick out even decades on, to the point where youd be hard pressed to find someone not recommend it. The core combat and progression, however, are really mediocre and the encounter system is neat so long as you never revist anywhere.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I really liked how accessible ff15 was. I especially liked how we could adjust the difficulty this time around.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

Is this good? I love Level 5.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is this good? I love Level 5.

It's not Level 5, it's by Grezzo, which did the OoT and Majora remakes on 3DS, and is headed by Koichi Ishii who created the Mana series. The game is Mana as gently caress but with like Zelda dungeons instead of just pretty environments to pass through (though it's still pretty).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

Chrono Trigger is super well paced and relatively short and used its length to add New Game plus (and basically make the feature an understood and desired thing) and a bevvy of neat things and character moments with it that make it stick out even decades on, to the point where youd be hard pressed to find someone not recommend it. The core combat and progression, however, are really mediocre and the encounter system is neat so long as you never revist anywhere.

I'll take Chrono Trigger's combat system and encounter system over every Final Fantasy game :colbert:

RNG can go to hell!

I was so sad that Square didn't do combined techs like Chrono Trigger in any of the FF games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaphod42 posted:

I was so sad that Square didn't do combined techs like Chrono Trigger in any of the FF games.

what about like doomsday sword does that not count

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Combination attacks have been in recent FF

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I'm leveling 46 ish in ffxii and want to grind before Pharos

Where's the best place to do that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'll take Chrono Trigger's combat system and encounter system over every Final Fantasy game :colbert:

RNG can go to hell!

FF5, mimic combines with every attack/magic, myth busted

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
[quote="Sakurazuka" post=""474856343"]
CT is and always was solid, fun JRPG, it's lionization as the greatest RPG of all time is by people who played it when they were 12 and have never touched another JRPG since
[/quote]

Though honestly, it's certainly a contender for the title. Even if you compare it to, say, the Witcher 3, CT still has an incredibly huge sense of scope and scale; it's bursting with interesting content and tons of cool things to do and collect. Every character has unique weapons to find, which usually involve time-traveling sidequests and bonus dungeons, and very, very few games can really boast a majority of random encounters being unique in some manner. Things like enemies playing kickball with each other or the sewer full of noise-making traps to lure enemies, these were things that were groundbreaking then and remain engaging now.

There isn't really a single part of Chrono Trigger that isn't enjoyable. The only downside may be the Johnny racing minigame if you can't figure it out, but even that's a cool example of a visible choice: race Johnny or walk through the ruins. The latter may reward you exp and items, but is also much, much more dangerous and a bit more tedious, but you still get a choice in this regard. The court sequence at the beginning is also fantastic due to how it subverts a "gamer" mentality and calls the player out on things that other games take for granted.

So many small touches add up in CT. Like how when you return to the present after your adventures in the future you burst out of a closet and scare a pair of monsters. It's a pretty universally funny gag: human children always think a monster is living in their closet, so in a town of monsters, it is humans living in the closet that scares them.

The combat system is also fantastic. It's quite simple, but RPGs never needed complex combat or customization options (even though you have a great deal of those in terms of choosing equipment, accessories and so on.) and the Tech system really rewards you for swapping out party members and taking the time to try out new and weird combinations to see what abilities can be discovered. Discovering unexpected outcomes and making choices that have real impact was what made CT groundbreaking then and, to be honest, now.

It's a great, great game, a timeless classic, and I honestly struggle to think of any sincerely great flaw in it. That's hard praise to top.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

what about like doomsday sword does that not count

I always forget IX because I never got that into it. I only played through it once with a friend.

I should give it another serious playthrough but I dunno. I don't have the same nostalgia for it that I do 7 or 8 so its hard for me to play it these days.

I fully admit its a good game. But it came out right after I played 6, 7 and 8 and I really wanted another FF more like those. It wasn't until later that I went back and played FFs 1-4 and really "got" what 9 was doing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phantasium posted:

It's not Level 5, it's by Grezzo, which did the OoT and Majora remakes on 3DS, and is headed by Koichi Ishii who created the Mana series. The game is Mana as gently caress but with like Zelda dungeons instead of just pretty environments to pass through (though it's still pretty).
Oh, I thought it was Level 5. I guess the art style just looks similar to Fantasy Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Though honestly, it's certainly a contender for the title. Even if you compare it to, say, the Witcher 3, CT still has an incredibly huge sense of scope and scale; it's bursting with interesting content and tons of cool things to do and collect. Every character has unique weapons to find, which usually involve time-traveling sidequests and bonus dungeons, and very, very few games can really boast a majority of random encounters being unique in some manner. Things like enemies playing kickball with each other or the sewer full of noise-making traps to lure enemies, these were things that were groundbreaking then and remain engaging now.

There isn't really a single part of Chrono Trigger that isn't enjoyable. The only downside may be the Johnny racing minigame if you can't figure it out, but even that's a cool example of a visible choice: race Johnny or walk through the ruins. The latter may reward you exp and items, but is also much, much more dangerous and a bit more tedious, but you still get a choice in this regard. The court sequence at the beginning is also fantastic due to how it subverts a "gamer" mentality and calls the player out on things that other games take for granted.

So many small touches add up in CT. Like how when you return to the present after your adventures in the future you burst out of a closet and scare a pair of monsters. It's a pretty universally funny gag: human children always think a monster is living in their closet, so in a town of monsters, it is humans living in the closet that scares them.

The combat system is also fantastic. It's quite simple, but RPGs never needed complex combat or customization options (even though you have a great deal of those in terms of choosing equipment, accessories and so on.) and the Tech system really rewards you for swapping out party members and taking the time to try out new and weird combinations to see what abilities can be discovered. Discovering unexpected outcomes and making choices that have real impact was what made CT groundbreaking then and, to be honest, now.

It's a great, great game, a timeless classic, and I honestly struggle to think of any sincerely great flaw in it. That's hard praise to top.

And lets not forget one of the best soundtracks of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDZ2W0GpP_E

This song still gives me goosebumps and gets me pumped as hell. When you get to the Fair and first pick up Marle's pendant and decide to go into the wormhole, and the music kicks in, and everybody's like "yeah Chrono, you do it man! you be the hero!" its just so drat good.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ffpauS93l8

These tracks give the game so much atmosphere and emotion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcf_FBbIRpM

poo poo I could listen to that OST all day every day

And then also lets not forget the really unique and memorable character and art design by none other than Akira Toriyama himself!

The time travel mechanic gives it so much variety, and also gives you an element of freedom and agency which I think lots of RPGs kinda miss out on. Where in most RPGs by the last disc I'm kinda burned out, with Chrono Trigger jumping around finding all the hidden side quests at the end before you fight Lavos is crazy rewarding.