Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

When the kids asked mom / where are we going
Nobody even knew what to say to them
Ken didn't want to lie
He said the US is looking for spies
So we have to live in a place called Manzanar
Where a lot of Japanese people are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

(I couldn't find any songs about Lincoln's suspension of habeus corpus)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

We already almost do!

back in the early aughts, I thought all that "post-9/11 world" poo poo was just a bunch of horsecrap that shitheads were using to nudge the country a notch or two closer to fascism and it would all go away and turn back to normal eventually when the hysteria wore off and common sense reasserted itself

that never happened. the post-9/11 world is real, as much as I hate to admit it, and in 2020 people who were born into this shithole of a political environment will be old enough to vote

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

docbeard posted:

I would have been really impressed if you did

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

docbeard posted:

when the confederates call him a tyrant the suspension is what they're complaining about

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the best book i ever read about the structure of america after 9/11 was democracy inc by wolin

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

when the confederates call him a tyrant the suspension is what they're complaining about

that and the whole taking away their slaves thing

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

that and the whole taking away their slaves thing

it was mostly the second part.

as a matter of fact, it was almost entirely the second part.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
slaves were the cause of the war but the confederacy recognized openly fighting a war to retain slavery would prevent European recognition which was the only hope they had. hence calling Lincoln a tyrant and usurper of the constitution to portray themselves as "freedom fighters"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
obama was mediocre at best and was still one of america's best presidents is what i was getting at earlier fwiw

basically we've always been bad

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and instead of living up to the image on which he originally sold voters, obama decided that it was more lucrative to keep it rolling.

that kinda makes him worse than any of them because he knew what they were, and he went along with them.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama was hot garbage, and it's compounded by the fact that he's half-black and should've been at least a little better at not being an imperialist.

Vietnam was horrible, LBJ ended up paying for it with his life, but LBJ did loving work, and it should never be discounted. Medicare, medicaid, civil rights, raising minimum wage, environmental protections, the NEA and NEH, major funding to schools. The dude did stuff FDR could only dream of and he did it in a term and half.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

and instead of living up to the image on which he originally sold voters, obama decided that it was more lucrative to keep it rolling.

that kinda makes him worse than any of them because he knew what they were, and he went along with them.

enabler~

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

docbeard posted:

TBH Lincoln's worst crime was not picking a radical republican as his 1864 running mate.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Agnosticnixie posted:

TBH Lincoln's worst crime was not picking a radical republican as his 1864 running mate.

I still think it's hilarious that Johnson got impeached and one vote shy of removal over ignoring the blatantly unconstitutional Tenure of Office Act.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Main Paineframe posted:

with Vietnam we eventually had the decency to get out, stay out, and let our client regime collapse. once we gave up trying to prop up an unstable status quo, everything eventually crumbled into a largely stable situation

with Iraq, we "won", so we're still actively in there propping up a corrupt, incompetent government which is only able to survive with constant US support. it's not "aftershocks", because we never really stopped meddling there

I mean it's influence on world events outside of the region, as well

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

Frijolero posted:

Obama was hot garbage, and it's compounded by the fact that he's half-black and should've been at least a little better

in 2012:

him- young, black, no college ed, doesn't follow news closely: Obama is a dumbmotherfucker who hasn't done poo poo for blacks, makes us look bad and is ruining the chances of future black people to ever be president again. gently caress him.

me- older, white, college educated, follows news too much: no, you see, Obama's had to deal with a lot of poo poo from Republicans to do all the good things he wants to do so he's had to play ball to win the next term. If he's reelected, he can go hog wild against them as much as possible.

later in 2012:

me- sober, drunk: gently caress it *bubbles in Jill Stein*

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

the oil must flow

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Looks like they were right again :smug:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agnosticnixie posted:

something about learning from history and repeating it because reruns

edit: ♬ ~BIPARTISANSHIP~ ♬

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
just read the thread of Chelsea trying to argue with a scholar of Arendt about Eichmann in Jerusalem and lol

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Bernie would have won.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

we've been messing around in that region for a very long time, and it's been a mess long before 2001. for example, Afghanistan has been in essentially-constant civil war since the 70s. Vietnam, on the other hand, was pretty much just the US stepping in to prop up and replace the failing French colonial project there because COMMUNISM

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cliff notes for arendt's "banality of evil," dressed up in 8-bit videyo game metaphors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLUHlVLyRxA

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

cliff notes for arendt's "banality of evil," dressed up in 8-bit videyo game metaphors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLUHlVLyRxA

Sidwell Friends please use this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Joementum posted:

just read the thread of Chelsea trying to argue with a scholar of Arendt about Eichmann in Jerusalem and lol

link

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

https://twitter.com/CoreyRobin/status/891390590654533633

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

As Maine Paineframe said farther upthread, when regressive conservatives tried to hold-up FDR's New Deal, he only pushed back harder and went for even more radical reforms. That he was stopped just short of packing the Supreme Court is indicative of him willing to throw decorum and bipartisanship to the wind in pursuit of his goals.

When regressive conservatives tried to make Obama a "one-term President", he just kinda rolled-over and said "eh, what're ya gonna do?"

And then we cheered him on as he "trolled" the GOP in 2015 and 2016 to little or no effect besides making a bunch of snappy headlines and one-liners.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Chelsea has the same problem as Eichenwald, they never learned the first rule of holes. To be fair though, Eichenwald's issues are much worse.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/JasonKander/status/891458611058233344

ahaha

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress it, i'mma post more 8-bit philosophy. it barely scratches the surface and should not be used for more than to whet one's intellectual appetite or to give one that jeopardy-style knowledge (broad, but not deep), but it's a start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvJTUZaivCI

webber and the protestant work ethic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttu8va9_x1g

hobbes vs. rousseau

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6V_YKn8i9k

hagel, and history as a rational process

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

gently caress it, i'mma post more 8-bit philosophy. it barely scratches the surface and should not be used for more than to whet one's intellectual appetite or to give one that jeopardy-style knowledge (broad, but not deep), but it's a start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvJTUZaivCI

webber and the protestant work ethic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttu8va9_x1g

hobbes vs. rousseau

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6V_YKn8i9k

hagel, and history as a rational process

I watched What is a Woman? and realized I am part of the patriarchy. Oh god :negative:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

jesus

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rand alPaul posted:

I watched What is a Woman? and realized I am part of the patriarchy. Oh god :negative:

we all are, comrade. we all are. :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Robin's account of his encounter with Neera Tanden is also bizarre reading

http://coreyrobin.com/2016/06/25/neera-and-me-two-theses-about-the-american-ruling-class-and-one-about-neera-tanden/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

hahaha the jordan horowitz twist was the best part

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
im not a patriarch im not even married

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rand alPaul posted:

as french women go I find la maupin's example more useful and instructive than simone de beauvoir's

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Rand alPaul posted:

Iraq/Afghanistan is substantially worse than Vietnam/Cambodia, because the lesson the US learned from Vietnam was not that it was a huge mistake and a terrible thing to do, but instead that if it embedded the media, went after whistleblowers, and kept the death counts artificially low it could wage war indefinitely and people would simply accept it.

Pretty soon we will have children born after the beginning of the Afghanistan War old enough to go fight in it.

a soldier died in afghanistan recently who was 2 on 9/11. just insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rand alPaul posted:

sorry about ur penis

• Locked thread