Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Radish posted:

Seen a lot of right wingers (who always seem to support police brutalizing minorities) getting real triggered they are getting called nazis lately.

Lately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYymnxoQnf8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Endorph posted:

original

some edit by a twitter 'rationalist'

hm.

I like how the twitter 'rationalist' makes one of the villains of the original his standin.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
:five:
I need to re-read Nextwave.

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 30, 2017

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So has Adam given up on copying other people's styles and is now relying on his own "talents"?

'Coz that is one terribly drawn woman...

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Interesting that they still use the original title graphic. Yuge difference between original Carmen and Winslow and the current design.

Also, still not Calvin and Hobbes.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Nice sentiment, but "transgender" doesn't really fit into the male/female binary, at least according to most trans people I know. Trans women are female/women, trans men are male/men, and nonbinary people are neither men/women and according to more radical thinking, male or female. It's a common thing for cis people to do, but generally it's better to say "man/woman/nonbinary" or some expanded set, or ask about sex assigned at birth, depending on what one is categorizing and why.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The correlation between nothing happening in this comic and characters going to space is startlingly positive.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

The look on ol' Spicer's face is absolutely beautiful.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Oxyclean posted:

Lynching: Just as bad as calling someone a nazi.
Even in the loving "rational bothsides" argument it's loving stupid.
"We want to exterminate an entire people" vs "They're nazis"
Yeah I dunno man they got a point, sounds like the people opposite them are not only doing way worse than name calling but, yeah, probably actually nazis.

Then again I've seen this argument deflected a million loving times with "NAZIS AND NEONAZIS AREN'T THE SAME, NAZIS WERE A POLITICAL PARTY, CHECKMATE SNOWFLAKES". Like yeah you used the wrong label for our genocidal group of fearmongering, lynch-happy white supremacists, therefore your point's invalid. Now stop calling us Nazis because that's literally just as bad. Maybe worse!!

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Je suis Charlie.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Trazz posted:

They want to BE racist, they just don't want to be CALLED racist.

Exactly. Because racism is bad and I'm not a bad person and therefore that thing I said isn't actually racist, because

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MelvinBison posted:

:capitalism:
I will never understand how Garrison is so gung-ho about the free market yet hates the people who benefit the most from it.
"I want capitalism not corporatism" he says with a grin, then vanishes leaving behind only the sign of the dollar

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Who's the dude in the portrait?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I don't think I've seen anyone run with a "scary" pun before. I guess it's okay.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Who's the dude in the portrait?

Franz Kafka.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Are you by any chance a fan of Travis Charest?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

T-man posted:

Nice sentiment, but "transgender" doesn't really fit into the male/female binary, at least according to most trans people I know. Trans women are female/women, trans men are male/men, and nonbinary people are neither men/women and according to more radical thinking, male or female. It's a common thing for cis people to do, but generally it's better to say "man/woman/nonbinary" or some expanded set, or ask about sex assigned at birth, depending on what one is categorizing and why.

Yeah it does perpetuate that unfortunate viewpoint of trans people not actually being their stated gender, but I think if the cartoon had just used the male and female options the sentiment could have been interpreted as "cis people only!"

Or maybe I've finally stared into the abyss of politoons for too long and I've become Willfully Dense.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

Are you by any chance a fan of Travis Charest?

That's a really random question.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Renaissance Spam posted:

Yeah it does perpetuate that unfortunate viewpoint of trans people not actually being their stated gender, but I think if the cartoon had just used the male and female options the sentiment could have been interpreted as "cis people only!"

Or maybe I've finally stared into the abyss of politoons for too long and I've become Willfully Dense.

It's the perfect/good dichotomy again- I'm willing to appreciate the sentiment even if the person saying it clearly doesn't quite know what they're on about.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone run with a "scary" pun before. I guess it's okay.

There have been a few "scary moocher" cartoons, but not that many I guess. Definitely less than Bohemian Rhapsody references.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

I like how the twitter 'rationalist' makes one of the villains of the original his standin.

That's kinda the point. These guys love to hide behind "both sides are just as bad" arguments making people looking to exist without being attacked as bad as the KKK or other groups that are actively killing them because they agree with those attacking groups; it's just still quite not PC to be openly a white supremacist outside of a Trump rally or internet forum. So they get really offended when people start pointing out their tricks and lash out with "so much for the tolerant left" or double down on both sides are bad and the real good guy is the one that is brave enough to parrot fecklessly Southpark style "the truth is in the middle" garbage. They identify with the people on the left of that cartoon but publicly are the guy in the middle so they get their feelings hurt when either of those personas are attacked.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 30, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

YOUR POISON WOMB GOVERNMENT RUN HEALTH CARE IS MAKING HEAVEN TOO loving CROWDED

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Aw, these two are adorable together. They really get each other on a friendship level, though they're a poo poo couple.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Vib Rib posted:

Even in the loving "rational bothsides" argument it's loving stupid.
"We want to exterminate an entire people" vs "They're nazis"
Yeah I dunno man they got a point, sounds like the people opposite them are not only doing way worse than name calling but, yeah, probably actually nazis.

Now, now, let's be accurate here.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The guy in the middle doesn't want to kill Black people. Personally, that is. He wants to sit on his couch playing video games while the KKK kills Black people.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Not to point out the obvious but even in his exaggerated version where the right side is strawmanned hard, it's still not even remotely comparable. Lynching and loving genocide vs "they called me a name :qq:".
Even at face value, they're not "both idiots". One side is exaggerating in their rhetoric or inaccurate in their labels. The other is in favor of literal genocide. "These people who want to murder an entire race, what dopes!"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Alhazred posted:

Franz Kafka.

I think you mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uaaF83eVig

:swoon:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

this but unironically

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Dimebags Brain posted:

this but unironically

I don't believe Dees is capable of irony.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
The new Homefront's taking a weird direction.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Vib Rib posted:

Not to point out the obvious but even in his exaggerated version where the right side is strawmanned hard, it's still not even remotely comparable. Lynching and loving genocide vs "they called me a name :qq:".
Even at face value, they're not "both idiots". One side is exaggerating in their rhetoric or inaccurate in their labels. The other is in favor of literal genocide. "These people who want to murder an entire race, what dopes!"

This 100%
In this corner we have literal KKK who, according to their own sign, want to kill black people
In the other corner we have a bunch of people who are calling everyone a nazi, including me, a reasonable and logical centrist.

Pretty much equivalent, imo.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

T-man posted:

Well yes, but on the other hand this cartoon almost perfectly captures the absurity of the conservative argument. A picture really is worth a thousand words here. Remember to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Brexit latest: it's going down the toilet – Chris Riddell on the Britain’s progress in EU negotations"

Sunday Telegraph:

Prince Philip will attend his final public engagement before he retires next week

Independent on Sunday:

Sunday Times:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Before anyone else is allowed to publish a cartoon mentioning trans people they really need to start running them by a competent editor to make sure they're being tasteful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

whomupclicklike posted:

Before anyone else is allowed to publish a cartoon mentioning trans people they really need to start running them by a competent editor to make sure they're being tasteful

I see you're new here.

• Locked thread