Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I thought the old British man as Ares was cool and good, it's just a shame the fight scene sucked and the cgi was all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I didn't mind the final battle being a brawl at all. Ares sure used subtlety to get humanity better at killing itself but at the end of the day he is the God of War from a time when war was about stabbing and hacking each other to bits. He sure as hell didnt whisper the other gods to death.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

I didn't mind the final battle being a brawl at all. Ares sure used subtlety to get humanity better at killing itself but at the end of the day he is the God of War from a time when war was about stabbing and hacking each other to bits. He sure as hell didnt whisper the other gods to death.

Also, Ares making the fight a physical one while reminding her of how futile her efforts are, even if she wins, is a nice parallel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ares certainly makes a shitload more sense being cast as a Satanic figure than Hades who normally is. War is hell, after all. And some depictions of gods of war aren't too far away from Khorne.

Does make me wonder (ha!) if Diana will have a near-death experience and run into Hades at some point. I like to think they'd get along.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kawabata posted:

I'm quoting this from last page to remind everyone of how absolutely terrible the mustache was, and while the narration was also bad you could at least say that it was forgettable. The mustache stays with you much longer.

Whoever decided that having a loving 60 years old turn of the century british dude as Ares was a good idea should never ever have creative power again in his life. Not even to choose the furniture of his own bedroom.

It was an accurate depiction of what he looks like

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Should I comment on the the problems in the script? On the unimpressive action?

No, the mustache is the real problem.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think the issue was not that they had a fight - but that it was all CG action figures bumping into each other and firing doofy energy beams.

Contrasting with the physicality and small debris and relative realness of the village assault (or even the melee with General Cokehead in the guard tower).

(Though her super jump always looked dumb and I blame BvS for establishing it)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Should I comment on the the problems in the script? On the unimpressive action?

No, the mustache is the real problem.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/07/30/box-office-wonder-woman-just-had-its-tiniest-weekend-drop-yet/

quote:

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Passes 'Deadpool' For $786M Worldwide Cume

The box office story of Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.'s Wonder Woman has been on of constantly moving goal posts. Prior to release, I was hopeful that the film would open to around $85-$95 million, right in line with the likes of Logan, Guardians of the Galaxy and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. After it opened with $103.251m, I was hopeful that it would play like an upper-level MCU movie (in terms of post-debut legs) and leg it to $280m domestic. And then as the weekday numbers led to a shockingly low (-43%) second-weekend drop, I started looking at The Jungle Book ($103m opening/$363m domestic total) and The Secret Life of Pets ($104m/$368m) as best-case-scenario comparisons.

But the picture refused to slow down, not against disappointing biggies like The Mummy and Transformers: The Last Knight, not against relatively solid animated sequels (Cars 3, Despicable Me 3) and not against relatively high-quality and/or crowd-pleasing summer fare like Baby Driver, Spider-Man: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes and Dunkirk. Wonder Woman acted like it was the only big movie in the marketplace, and now we’re at a point where it’s no longer “Will Wonder Woman top $400 million in North America?” but rather “Can it pass The Hunger Games, Captain America: Civil War and Iron Man 3 and take a run at Toy Story 3’s $415m domestic total?”

Is that likely? Eh, but it wasn’t “likely” that the Gal Gadot/Chris Pine superhero movie would be edging toward $400 million domestic less than two months after a $103.251m opening weekend. And it wasn’t likely that the picture would still be playing on 1,600 screens and dropping just 23% in its ninth weekend of domestic release. One of the reasons I’ve enjoyed doing these daily updates, aside from the consistently solid traffic and the fact that these updates made a lot of folks very happy in a relatively grim time, is that I’ve enjoyed watching the goal posts move back again and again as the Patty Jenkins picture just wouldn’t slow down.

The film is already the second-leggiest $100m+ opener ever, behind Shrek 2 (which opened on a Wednesday). If it makes it to $409m, it’ll be the leggiest “opened on a Friday” movie ever (ahead of Inside Out) for an $80m+ debut weekend. Among all “opened on a Friday” $60m+ openers, it ranks behind only Inside Out ($356m/$90m), Avatar ($749m/$77m), Zootopia ($341m/$75m), Finding Nemo ($339m/$70m), Up ($293m/$68m), Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe ($291m/$65m), Monsters, Inc. ($255m/$62m) and Cars ($244m/$60m). This is the kind of leggy, zeitgeist-capturing/water-cooler conversation dominating multiplex release that made me into a box office junkie in the first place. So yeah, these updates are partially for me.

Anyway, the film earned another $3.54 million (-23%) in its ninth domestic weekend, bringing its total to $395.444m. That’s a bigger ninth weekend and smaller drop than Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man, although that 2002 blockbuster’s 59-day total ($395.8m) is slightly higher. But, barring a fluke, this is the week that it catches up to Spider-Man for good and crosses $400m domestic. In terms of worldwide grosses, it now sits with at least $785m worldwide, putting it above Deadpool ($783m in 2D, sans China and with an R-rating) and Spider-Man 2 ($784m back in 2004). The only overseas question is how well it performs in Japan in about a month from now. So it’ll either be just over $800m total or way over $800m total.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

Does make me wonder (ha!) if Diana will have a near-death experience and run into Hades at some point. I like to think they'd get along.

Despite being a horrible person, I hope they get James Woods for this.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Filthy Casual posted:

Despite being a horrible person, I hope they get James Woods for this.

In case anyone doesn't know, remember when James Woods was an evil, insane hyper-nationalist in White House Down? Turns out he may have been largely improvising.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Being an insane, evil hyper- nationalist he hates fun things so he won't do it. Also he won't do it because the film probably won't jive with said evil, insane hyper-nationalism.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Instead get whatever James Woods Impersonator they've been using for Kingdom Hearts then, unless that is actually James Woods in which case we're just out of luck.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Instead get whatever James Woods Impersonator they've been using for Kingdom Hearts then, unless that is actually James Woods in which case we're just out of luck.

It's James Woods.

He really likes that character.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!

Cavelcade posted:

It's James Woods.

He really likes that character.

Who does he play, Sephiroth?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

Who does he play, Sephiroth?

Believe it or not, the English VA for Sephiroth is played by Lance Bass.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!

Detective No. 27 posted:

That makes a strange sort of sense, actually.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Detective No. 27 posted:

:goonsay: Actually Sephiroth's most recent English VA is George Newborn, who was Superman in the JL/JLU cartoons :goonsay:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Voice acting is a small, strange world.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Are there two movies about Wonder Woman's creator coming out? A documentary and fictional movie? Can't remember at the moment.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MacheteZombie posted:

Are there two movies about Wonder Woman's creator coming out? A documentary and fictional movie? Can't remember at the moment.

Think there's only the film coming out starring Luke Evans and Rebecca Hall http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6133130/ No upcoming documentary I'm aware of.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

teagone posted:

Think there's only the film coming out starring Luke Evans and Rebecca Hall http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6133130/ No upcoming documentary I'm aware of.

Ty teagone.

Was thinking I might be going insane since I couldn't find info about the documentary.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Wonder Woman will pass $400 million domestically this weekend. The last big market for it to open in Japan on August 25th. However, Japan doesn't seem to be big on superhero films so it probably won't make a big impact on the numbers. There's also some people upset at the marketing for the Japan release. The "image song" they're using to promote it is called "A Woman Should Never Sleep Alone" and the marketing material is emphasizing her "lack of romantic experience"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

Wonder Woman will pass $400 million domestically this weekend. The last big market for it to open in Japan on August 25th. However, Japan doesn't seem to be big on superhero films so it probably won't make a big impact on the numbers. There's also some people upset at the marketing for the Japan release. The "image song" they're using to promote it is called "A Woman Should Never Sleep Alone" and the marketing material is emphasizing her "lack of romantic experience"

Unsubtle attempt at Japanese social engineering, I guess.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/japans-falling-birth-rate-posing-serious-problems-for-economy-a7770596.html

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Good news! Wonder Woman anime pillow sales are through the roof!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

wait are you talking about a photo of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman or an anime rendering of her

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

wait are you talking about a photo of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman or an anime rendering of her

I'd also like to know. And a link to one of these reprehensible websites selling one of these abominations. Preferrably one that's international shipping friendly.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Also, a cursory search :ninja: shows that anime Wonder Woman pillows already exist so I guess the next demand will be for Gal Gadot ones.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Apollo posted:

Wonder Woman will pass $400 million domestically this weekend.

Looks like it'll fall just a few million shy of the domestic take of Captain America: Civil War and Iron Man 3 but it should have just enough gas left in the tank to knock the '02 Spider-Man off 7th place in the list of highest grossing superhero films.
The two have been running neck and neck for weeks now with WW slooooowly making progress day by day:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Looks like it'll fall just a few million shy of the domestic take of Captain America: Civil War and Iron Man 3 but it should have just enough gas left in the tank to knock the '02 Spider-Man off 7th place in the list of highest grossing superhero films.
The two have been running neck and neck for weeks now with WW slooooowly making progress day by day:

I heard that Spider-Man: Homecoming had the biggest weekend drop off of any Marvel film; 73% on the second weekend.

Also, where do you get those box office graphs? They're pretty cool.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Apollo posted:

Also, where do you get those box office graphs? They're pretty cool.

https://www.the-numbers.com
They only do domestic, unfortunately

Check out the DCEU films stacked up against each other, particularly the point where the lines plateau because the audience stopped turning up:
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/c...ad/Man-of-Steel
WW is still plodding along way past the point where the others died.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mr. Apollo posted:

I heard that Spider-Man: Homecoming had the biggest weekend drop off of any Marvel film; 73% on the second weekend.

You heard wrong, it was "only" a 62% drop the second weekend.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

howe_sam posted:

You heard wrong, it was "only" a 62% drop the second weekend.

Also the second weekend drop stat is pointless without further context. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 had a whopping 72% drop but still made over a billion dollars worldwide. Mars Needs Moms only had a 23% drop but it was a gigantic box office bomb.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Looking at The Numbers site, Homecoming seems to tracking closely to Suicide Squad. It's seems to have had much better reviews so I don't know.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wondering if Wonder Woman's having Titanic-style legs with repeat viewers, or it's just really popular with women. Or both.

Is Wonder Woman the Iron Man of the DCCU?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Inescapable Duck posted:

Wondering if Wonder Woman's having Titanic-style legs with repeat viewers, or it's just really popular with women. Or both.

Is Wonder Woman the Iron Man of the DCCU?

Wonder Woman has the unique qualities of being unoffensive and Marvelly, while at the same time being decent and being the first tentpole woman comic book character on screen between these two titans of industry. And also had WB crab walking backwards promising how much better a movie it would be over its previous three.

It hit a good spot what with the only other comic movie to come out afterwards was like the fifteenth iteration of Spider-Man.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wonder Woman just passed Frozen's domestic box office intake. Insane. So glad to see the film being as successful as it is :allears:

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 11, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nice. I was at a party on the weekend and several people said they just saw it for the first time. It's still going strong after 10 weeks (I think) in theatres.

Also:

https://twitter.com/galgadot/status/895711384679227393

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

WW is going to be on digital and in theaters at the same time.

:stare:

• Locked thread