Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyone have that picture of Sisko and Jennifer in the pieta pose?

http://www.brandonbird.com/jen_sisko.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Bloop posted:

Edgy modern TNG has Wesley be executed for trampling a flower before the Enterprise can save him.

And that sort of law is why the Edo were never really able to muscle in on Risa's position as the galaxy's premier Sex Planet.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

Edgy modern TNG has Wesley be executed for trampling a flower before the Enterprise can save him.

"Welp, prime directive and all. Sorry Beverly."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

"Welp, prime directive and all. Sorry Beverly."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxopd_qSVKo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Griffin McElroy as Wesley.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQcLLfzzKWA

Interesting stuff here about the whole Discovery mess.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I guarantee you there's no good reason for Sarek to be involved. It could be just some other high-ranking Vulcan.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQcLLfzzKWA

Interesting stuff here about the whole Discovery mess.

The part about the licensing stuff is really interesting. I didn't know JJTrek was legally required to look different from original Trek.

Oh, and Discovery is under that same license even though it's a CBS property. Weird. You'd think they would have said something when they were catching so much poo poo for the uniforms, like "Hey, we just straight-up can't have visuals that look like old Trek visuals." Might have at least given them some slack.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 30, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Watching that makes me feel old and out-of-touch with fan culture.

The idea that the Klingons in the show are a faction of fundamentalist religious fanatics is pretty neat.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The only good Star Trek uniforms are the Enterprise ones and the TOS movie ones that both look like something someone would use as uniforms.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Gorelab posted:

The only good Star Trek uniforms are the Enterprise ones and the TOS movie ones that both look like something someone would use as uniforms.

Yeah, as much as I like the TOS uniforms or have grown used to the TNG/DS9/VOY uniforms they look like costumes more than something you'd want to wear every day at your space job like the ENT uniforms.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The TOS uniforms would look better if they tucked in their drat shirts :argh:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

TNG era uniforms often look space pajamay to me. Though they did start looking cooler later on. I still like the TOS movie era stuff which looks like a neat scifi-y age of sail thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Erotically I posted:

I know that it's almost a meme at this point but.... Idris Elba would be a great Worf.

There is more than one black actor in film and television, people. For gently caress's sake, at least move on to Mahershala Ali or John Boyega if you're planning to cast someone off of skin colour and literally nothing else.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

There is more than one black actor in film and television, people. For gently caress's sake, at least move on to Mahershala Ali or John Boyega if you're planning to cast someone off of skin colour and literally nothing else.

Lance Reddick. :colbert:

(Would probably do a rad Vulcan.)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

The part about the licensing stuff is really interesting. I didn't know JJTrek was legally required to look different from original Trek.

Oh, and Discovery is under that same license even though it's a CBS property. Weird. You'd think they would have said something when they were catching so much poo poo for the uniforms, like "Hey, we just straight-up can't have visuals that look like old Trek visuals." Might have at least given them some slack.

Legally-Distinct Star Trek Product

I mean I like JJTrek but that is weird.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Legally-Distinct Star Trek Product

I mean I like JJTrek but that is weird.

It's similar to when Letterman started Late Night. Carson Productions said he couldn't have a band with more than four people, a couch for guests to sit on, and guests were not allowed to stay on after their segment.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I knew about the CBS/Paramount licensing divide, but what I did not know was that there was a legal reqirement to look different--I just figured that was a style choice by JJ to modernize it. I suppose that means Paramount had to license Section 31 and the NX-01 desk model separately as well?

What I REALLY did not know though was that this series is actually produced by Paramount and is completely under their license. That is a big deal to keep secret. It means they really never could have made it line up visually with The Cage and it is just another reboot. That pisses me off more because the fact that it is a reboot but they insist on saying it's in the Prime Universe is some bullshit wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

That said I love it that they were so internally dismissive of canon but it's the fan reaction to it not being in canon that is probably going to cause it to fail and they're already abandoning it. :getin:

Kinda lovely though that their Plan B is for Meyer to do an anthology series since that was what Fuller wanted and they fired him. Though personally I don't want an anthology, I just want one good series set after Voyager. I don't think we'll see much of that with Meyer--I imagine his idea of anthology would be to do different seasons firmly in the pre TNG era and I can't see doing an ultrasleek and futuristic post VOY series being in his wheelhouse given that he kinda peaked in the 80s and 90s as a producer. But Roddenberry gave us TNG when he was old so theres some hope I guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even if it is an anthology series, it will probably have to be in the same time period. Sets and costumes and props are expensive and they can't just scrap everything and move to a new time period every year.

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's similar to when Letterman started Late Night. Carson Productions said he couldn't have a band with more than four people, a couch for guests to sit on, and guests were not allowed to stay on after their segment.

Dang, that's lovely. Hopefully Carson himself didn't decide that.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Astroman posted:

That said I love it that they were so internally dismissive of canon but it's the fan reaction to it not being in canon that is probably going to cause it to fail and they're already abandoning it. :getin:

That pretty much says they have no balls to go full in with a reboot even though the JJ movies did well.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cojawfee posted:

Dang, that's lovely. Hopefully Carson himself didn't decide that.

wikipedia posted:

The show was produced by Johnny Carson's production company, as a result of a clause in Carson's contract with NBC that gave him control of what immediately followed The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Carson, for his part, wanted Late Night to have as little overlap with his show as possible. In fact, most ground rules and restrictions on what Letterman could do came not from the network but from the production company itself. Letterman could not have a sidekick like Ed McMahon, and Paul Shaffer's band could not include a horn section like Doc Severinsen's. Letterman was told he could not book old-school showbiz guests such as James Stewart, George Burns, or Buddy Hackett, who were fixtures on Johnny's show (the fact that Tonight had long moved to Hollywood and Late Night was taped in New York helped minimize guest overlap). Letterman was also specifically instructed not to replicate any of the signature pieces of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson like "Stump the Band" or "Carnac the Magnificent". Carson also wanted Letterman to minimize the number of topical jokes in his opening monologue.

This would be dropped when Letterman went to CBS. Since Carson's Tonight Show was dead, Dave did several of Johnny's bits including "Stump the Band" with Johnny's blessing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Evek posted:

That pretty much says they have no balls to go full in with a reboot even though the JJ movies did well.

Ah but as he says in the video, according to Hollywood Math, Beyond was a "bomb". Even though worldwide it made $343M on a budget of $185M. But apparently anything less than half a billion is a failure.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Astroman posted:

Ah but as he says in the video, according to Hollywood Math, Beyond was a "bomb". Even though worldwide it made $343M on a budget of $185M. But apparently anything less than half a billion is a failure.

Had to roll my eyes hard at that one. CBS/Paramount just want ALL the money not some of the money and they have no confidence in anything even if it might get some negative fan reaction. Have some drat balls and be bold with what you want to make even if it turns out to be crap.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Paramount is trash, CBS is trash, Star Trek used to be good but who can say anymore?

Are there really fans of the JJ Abrams pair of movies? They're such turgid schlock. They're like The Force Awakens if he didn't have any story beats to steal.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Still better than the TNG betters on average though!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Astroman posted:

Rule of thumb is double the "budget" to get the real cost including marketing, so $343M is a $27M loss

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Are there really fans of the JJ Abrams pair of movies? They're such turgid schlock. They're like The Force Awakens if he didn't have any story beats to steal.

The first one and Beyond are both good fun action movies with some nice character moments.

Into Darkness was a loving mess and a half.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Paramount is trash, CBS is trash, Star Trek used to be good but who can say anymore?

I liked the first one in a "this is a good start" kind of way. Into Darkness not at all.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Are there really fans of the JJ Abrams pair of movies? They're such turgid schlock.

Into Darkness was the weakest, but overall I found them entertaining enough, and most importantly refreshing.

The real elephant in the room is that Trek is just played out. The franchise has been chasing the high of a mainstream success since TNG ended, and the reality of modern entertainment means it will never be able to reach it again.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

The real elephant in the room is that Trek is just played out. The franchise has been chasing the high of a mainstream success since TNG ended, and the reality of modern entertainment means it will never be able to reach it again.

Brief moments of clarity like this are the only reason I haven't put your dumb rear end on ignore yet

also lol Star Trek is now legally prevented from looking like itself or being good loving lol capitalism is poo poo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Trek 2009 is not a good action movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

also lol Star Trek is now legally prevented from looking like itself

I only skimmed through that video but this seems like a lot of theorycrafting and spitballing by one guy. The Trek IP licensing situation is not terribly complicated.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

That's just like, your opinion, man.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

I only skimmed through that video but this seems like a lot of theorycrafting and spitballing by one guy. The Trek IP licensing situation is not terribly complicated.

Still though, he may be on to something when he says that even though it's a tv show and on CBS All Access, it's being produced Paramount and the JJTrek team--it is being done by Bad Robot and Kurtzman.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Star Trek movies I like: the ones featuring the original cast crew in full or in part.

I don't know if I would say I'm a "fan" of the JJTrek movies, but they're quite watchable and they have a lot more going for them than most of the TNG films.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astroman posted:

Still though, he may be on to something when he says that even though it's a tv show and on CBS All Access, it's being produced Paramount and the JJTrek team--it is being done by Bad Robot and Kurtzman.

Kurtzman is involved, but it's explicitly not a Bad Robot production, nor is it a Paramount production, so that's two huge factual errors on his part right there.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

After The War posted:

I think that was a scam pulled by Blacklight Cartography to justify their existence.

A couple pages back, but for some reason this made me picture massive coalesced islands of floating, ropey semen at the oceanic gyres. Like garbage island, but worse (/better?).

Just, uh. Just wanted to share.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MisterBibs posted:

Into Darkness was the weakest, but overall I found them entertaining enough, and most importantly refreshing.

by refreshing you mean it made a lot of money and therefore you like it

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Kurtzman is involved, but it's explicitly not a Bad Robot production, nor is it a Paramount production, so that's two huge factual errors on his part right there.

It's odd, because Memory Alpha showed it was since last fall:
https://disqus.com/home/discussion/...trek_discovery/

But that was edited out in June. Wiki, I know, but still it makes you wonder what the backstage stuff is. It's tough to take the companies at their word and believe the press releases. For example, think about how the official line was Fuller stepped down or they parted ways due to him "being too busy" and now it's really coming out hard that they fired him because they didn't want what he wanted creatively. And all that bullshit about him staying on peripherally to contribute story ideas was just that--bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Arglebargle III posted:

I liked 2009 when I saw it in the theater with a bunch of friends, but I think the problem is that it doesn't hold up to even a single repeat viewing or even the lightest of critical analysis. There's just absolutely nothing there.

I still think Beyond is okay, though.