Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sneakster posted:

Actually this is one place there is hope. Real estate trends, like 70% of millennials want to live in dense cities, and transit projects, even if slow, are being green lighted that would not have been accepted in the 80s. People don't want to raise families in dangerous slums, but they like cities. We're rapidly transitioning from a 1950s suburbia ideal arrangement to. not exactly that.

Cities are an ecosystem that develop over time, most of the US population is in the north east, and a lot of the important aspects of city design were fundamentally discarded with the rise of the automobile. Human scale vs car scale is a pretty important distinction when you look at how cities are arranged at their atomic level, older cities adapted to the car, new cities were made for the car. There's also the irony of the ultimate government interference in the free market: zoning laws. The artificial distinction while understandable for avoiding living next to chemical plants, creates a unnecessary spacing between residential and commercial.

Detroit was a rail city remade from the ground up to serve cars, and has gone broke since. There's movement back into the core, but its a lifetime away from rebuilding. In some ways I could see the balkanization of the US along these kinds of lines, because so much of it is fundamentally broken in a way that can't be fixed in a clear manner as energy costs increase.

Houston/Austin/Los Angeles will pretty much never be decent in our lifetimes:
https://goo.gl/maps/Bpkzew73MCs

That's representative of what I could see of Houston outside the downtown office/garage parts people don't live in. That city covers 600 square miles. Its a giant suburban county. Granted in someways its better than nowhere Ohio: Wal-mart, gas station, 4 lane thoroughfare, McMansion section, and cheap apartments section.

Vs Philadelphia: https://goo.gl/maps/Py1puUaY4W22

I'd be hesitant to ever get property outside DC (only touching the metro)/Baltimore/Philly/Bost/North Jersey and maybe San Francisco or Seattle. Property values in many of the suburbs are basically flat not including liability and costs of maintenance and being trapped.

I think DC and Baltimore represent an interesting theater in how things will develop. DC has had extremely rapid gentrification in a small city with an existing transit system thats being developed. Its the fastest growth and investment I know of. Even if Houston is growing, look at it, and thats 600 miles, the time to fill in that area is not going to be a soon thing. DC was completely different a decade ago and has all the money and momentum a city could have with a strong infrastructure to start with.

Baltimore is roughly DC's size, lacks the building size restrictions, and despite red line being screwed by Governor, there is pressure to improve it. Baltimore is also slowly coming back from the dead and in a slow gentrification. Poverty is leaving the city, while middle class people are moving in. The population is decreasing (granted this has come at the literally illegal collapse of public housing), while median income is going up, and transit services are improving and modernizing.

I do think trends are changing, and there are (modest) improvements are happening but at the same time the issue comes down to government spending. A lot of this comes down to just general inertia, ideology and a fair amount of racism/classism and it is pretty hard to break. Baltimore is a good example, they re-organized their bus lines with what they had available but couldn't get a basic east-west corridor to tie the city together. Look at the DC Metro and the MTA which seems either in full meltdown or on the verge of it (we will see if DC needs more repairs), a big issue with both is that decades of maintenance were ignored for budgetary reasons. SEPTA also has been barely scraping by and Philadelphia is certainly a city that needs greater infrastructure development. In the US, on one hand, there is a general demographic change but at the same time at the financial level, nothing really has changed.

Basically, gentrification "switched" the populations and white upper middle-class people started to reuse the infrastructure they once abandoned but a lot of that infrastructure wasn't maintained or expanded like it needed to and maybe won't.

quote:

No, probably not. Density is a big part of the effectiveness of transit too, so NYC is its own planet.

Yeah, the L is still pretty skeletal and in many ways even more antiquated. I think they have finally fixed the track on main corridors but for a city with such extremes in temperature, it isn't cut out for a turn of the century elevated system (nothing like waiting on a platform during the heart of winter.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

The thing you need to ask yourself is why it bugs you so much that people think this. Like, I agree that there's unlikely to be some complete left-wing reworking of the Democratic Party in the next few years, but I don't see any harm in people being enthusiastic about the idea (and ultimately they are right about public opinion towards Democrats deteriorating, especially as older Democrats continue to die off). So the important question is why some part of you is thinking "I can't let this stand" when you see people enthusiastic about making Democrats more left-wing. Another thing to consider is that the negative reaction is largely because almost the only things you say are these contrarian points. It would be one thing if you had engaged in the discussion in some other manner and then brought this stuff up, but it's obvious you're coming at this topic specifically with some gripe against leftists in mind.

The actual psychological reasons why liberals feel so bothered by leftists (or even just left-liberals significantly to the left of the party status quo) are kind of interesting to think about. I think it's usually a combination of a couple things (or just one or the other): they genuinely feel threatened at the idea of a significant change to the status quo (and this is often unconscious, since they know it's rationally indefensible) and/or they feel like their identity as "the most compassionate/moral ideology" is being threatened and feel some need to discredit anyone claiming to be better in that regard. In many cases I think they rationally realize they have no reasonable ideological/policy-based argument against leftism, so their minds search for some other angle (which often turns out to be this sort of "but leftists aren't guaranteed to win:smuggo:" argument).

This is quite a lot of psycho analyzing since I'm quite happy to see the party changing. Any contrarian reaction is a natural response to NFS-style shitposting.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ardennes posted:

I do think trends are changing, and there are (modest) improvements are happening but at the same time the issue comes down to government spending. A lot of this comes down to just general inertia, ideology and a fair amount of racism/classism and it is pretty hard to break. Baltimore is a good example, they re-organized their bus lines with what they had available but couldn't get a basic east-west corridor to tie the city together. Look at the DC Metro and the MTA which seems either in full meltdown or on the verge of it (we will see if DC needs more repairs), a big issue with both is that decades of maintenance were ignored for budgetary reasons. SEPTA also has been barely scraping by and Philadelphia is certainly a city that needs greater infrastructure development. In the US, on one hand, there is a general demographic change but at the same time at the financial level, nothing really has changed.

Basically, gentrification "switched" the populations and white upper middle-class people started to reuse the infrastructure they once abandoned but a lot of that infrastructure wasn't maintained or expanded like it needed to and maybe won't.

Yeah, the L is still pretty skeletal and in many ways even more antiquated. I think they have finally fixed the track on main corridors but for a city with such extremes in temperature, it isn't cut out for a turn of the century elevated system (nothing like waiting on a platform during the heart of winter.)
MTA and WMATA are two very different systems. The MTA is almost exclusively used by the poor, Baltimore's legacy is among the most segregated in the country, possibly the most. Public transit is actively sabotaged by the counties and explicitly a "black people thing". Baltimore market is ripe for slumlords, its very cheap and dangerous or as expensive as NYC, which is bizarre considering even the nicest areas are within blocks of murder zones. There's basically a white people L shaped corridor that's expensive, and outside of that is unlivable hellscape. The gentrification of Baltimore is absurdly cynical, the city is selling out the current residents while giving generous investment and breaks for coming in gentry, they literally demolish certain things for Baltimore Development Corporation (real life OCP) while promising jobs for local residents that intentionally never materialize. There's a growing tech economy but the local residents pretty much have no future and the drug war is a delightful factor when you can make more in a few hours slinging than any straight work that you're going to get without a college degree in Baltimore, which you probably don't have if you're from.

WMATA service is actually reliable, on the other hand, people who wear suits absolutely do not use the MTA. It was a world of shock seeing middle class white people on the SEPTA and WMATA.

Problem with Chicago is that of any city, pockets of poverty develop in abandoned areas, with enough sparsity this is magnified.

WMATA funding in the big picture isn't a concern, DC is rapidly gentrifying with people actively supporting the metro. We're in the reversal of decades of disinvestment. Even the gentrifying portions of Baltimore are also strongly transit supporting. Its one of the few good things, people are actually investing in their communities and there's a desire for a better society. Plus the air isn't poisoned.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
last I heard the ballyhooed millennial downtown movement isn't true at all and the suburban path remains unchanged. it was basically a hiccup partly tied to the crash and also to having families later

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Peachfart posted:

lol @ 'leftists' earnestly talking about virtue signaling

Peachfart posted:

B5 is right.

Peachfart posted:

The alt-left being disingenuous is nothing new.

Peachfart posted:

But avoiding looking at race is basically how the alt-left exists so...

Peachfart posted:

this statement is more accurate if you change 'liberal' to 'minorities', to fit with your alt-left views.

Peachfart posted:

Maybe I was less going after Bernie and more going after alt-left dorks who react before thinking.

Who's permabanned alt are you?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 30, 2017

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

mastershakeman posted:

last I heard the ballyhooed millennial downtown movement isn't true at all and the suburban path remains unchanged. it was basically a hiccup partly tied to the crash and also to having families later
I think you're making light of it, it's a massive societal trend, not a millennial fad, though its even more strongly expressed within the millenial cohort. It's been going on since the 90s if I recall correctly. You're also seeing changing demographics migrations, such as black people moving to southern suburbs that were previously closed off. The black population in Baltimore is decreasing while the white/asian/hispanic population is increasing, and so is the median income, however the rate of black population declining still outpaces the influx, so the overall population of Baltimore is less than a few years ago, but to to say the city is declining is incredibly short sighted.

Also keep in mind "older people think/do thing" is not the same thing as "people do/think thing when they get older". For example, while people do go to the suburbs to start families, even people starting families are still on the rise in cities. This covers a lot of it.

There's also the basic costs necessitating certain adaptions, but suburbs are the temporal aberration, not cities.

In the long term it's reasonable to expect cities and inner ring suburbs to become increasingly wealthy while poverty is pushed towards decaying exurbs.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sneakster posted:

MTA and WMATA are two very different systems. The MTA is almost exclusively used by the poor, Baltimore's legacy is among the most segregated in the country, possibly the most. Public transit is actively sabotaged by the counties and explicitly a "black people thing". Baltimore market is ripe for slumlords, its very cheap and dangerous or as expensive as NYC, which is bizarre considering even the nicest areas are within blocks of murder zones. There's basically a white people L shaped corridor that's expensive, and outside of that is unlivable hellscape. The gentrification of Baltimore is absurdly cynical, the city is selling out the current residents while giving generous investment and breaks for coming in gentry, they literally demolish certain things for Baltimore Development Corporation (real life OCP) while promising jobs for local residents that intentionally never materialize. There's a growing tech economy but the local residents pretty much have no future and the drug war is a delightful factor when you can make more in a few hours slinging than any straight work that you're going to get without a college degree in Baltimore, which you probably don't have if you're from.

WMATA service is actually reliable, on the other hand, people who wear suits absolutely do not use the MTA. It was a world of shock seeing middle class white people on the SEPTA and WMATA.

Problem with Chicago is that of any city, pockets of poverty develop in abandoned areas, with enough sparsity this is magnified.

WMATA funding in the big picture isn't a concern, DC is rapidly gentrifying with people actively supporting the metro. We're in the reversal of decades of disinvestment. Even the gentrifying portions of Baltimore are also strongly transit supporting. Its one of the few good things, people are actually investing in their communities and there's a desire for a better society. Plus the air isn't poisoned.

By MTA, I was referring to the New York MTA and the subway meltdown that is currently happening. Admittedly, a lot of cities use "MTA." As far as Baltimore, I don't disagree with you. That said, the gentrification in DC usually had very little to do with local communities and more or less just "happened." I lived in DC for a while in 03/05 then more recently in 2016, it was simply a different city, a "year zero" pogrom might as well happened. Neighborhoods that were mixed or mostly black, became almost as white. There seems to be very little mixing as well.

The WMATA is a very much a wait and see, honestly, it has been a mess for years, and they spent a lot on maintenance this year but we will see what happens. I will say even with the best of times, that metro service was too infrequent for a rapid transit system, and it isn't cheap either. (Also, using buses in downtown or west of rock creek is a nightmare since there are simply so many bottlenecks.) That said, it is something middle-class white people, especially younger ones will use.

Chicago just has an old, slow system that is rarely expanded and as one would expect the Southside is usually ignored. One issue is that the L is still using wooden ties, and maintenance is a complete nightmare.

(Btw, as far as the theme of this thread goes, most of these cities were controlled by Democrats for years/decades.)

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

WampaLord posted:

Don't use the phrases of the alt-right or else people will assume you are also alt-right.
Oh great so the fascists get to dictate the words and terminology we use now too.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kilroy posted:

Oh great so the fascists get to dictate the words and terminology we use now too.

Uh, no poo poo? You really want to make the case for why "virtue signaling" is a cool and good phrase? How about "white power?"

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Call Me Charlie posted:

Who's permabanned alt are you?

:hitler:

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ardennes posted:

(Btw, as far as the theme of this thread goes, most of these cities were controlled by Democrats for years/decades.)
Almost all cities are run by Democrats because conservatives are a coalition of hysterical religious hillbillies, a small class of the rich, and a mass of largely racist-as-basis-for-policy reactionary rednecks who prefer suburbs and live under the delusion their lifestyle isn't massively subsidized by the government and actively support anything they perceive as hurting black people in the cities.

There's no such thing as a conservative/Republican agenda or ideology. To claim as such would be to give political agency to the concept of stagnation and decay. It's basically the result of a collapse of functioning society, a political void of graft championing free market solutions out of brainwashed nihilism. Do nothing and pretend things will revert to some ideal ambiguous "the way things were" state with no specific method or goal beyond not contesting the status quo is not a coherent platform or agenda.

EDIT:

WampaLord posted:

Uh, no poo poo? You really want to make the case for why "virtue signaling" is a cool and good phrase? How about "white power?"

Language evolves, but virtue signalling is a recently invented term that's supposed to describe conspicuous consumption of things associated with charitable causes, not strictly part of definition, but the consumption of said products doesn't address the moral concern they signal the consumer has. The term has been adopted to just mean anyone that isn't a nihilistic psychopath, similar to how race baiting used to refer to racist nazi propaganda, and the right has adopted the term to mean bringing up racist policies/issues.

Sneakster fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 30, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does make me wonder; what does an ideal local government look like? How do they accomplish good things with their limited authority and scope? How do they work together with the larger party if applicable, and the country in general?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Former Clinton Backing Democrats Join With High Profile Neo-Conservatives to Create "Alliance for Securing Democracy" Group

Article here.

Headed by people like Bill Kristol, former Clinton foreign advisor Laura Rosenburger, aswell as Jamie Fly, a foreign policy advisor to the hawkish Marco Rubio campaign and the Bush White House.

Something that Orwellian-sounding has the best intentions I'm sure.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 30, 2017

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

Does make me wonder; what does an ideal local government look like? How do they accomplish good things with their limited authority and scope? How do they work together with the larger party if applicable, and the country in general?
Utilities exist, garbage is picked up, and my lifestyle is comfortably subsidized in a way that massages my ego and sense of independence from society.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think the ideal local government is one that is active, both in utilizing the resources available to it but lobbying state governments and the federal government for the type of funding it needs. In the case of DC/Chicago/Portland, I never got the feeling the city government was actually interested in playing an active role in shaping the massive social issues each city had and mostly existed as a care-taker entity.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

WampaLord posted:

It's fine in the sense Matt Zerella used it in, and I don't care for what purpose it's been appropriated by a bunch of fascist shitstain dickheads, either.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
How about this WampaLord: how about instead of telling people what words they can use based on whether or not whether some internet shitlords have also used them yet, and how about instead of hemming and hawing because a few posters think maybe Senate Democrats should not have clapped and hooted and hollered for some geriatric lich who should have died of skin cancer during the Clinton administration if there were any justice in the world - how about instead of all that you get with the loving program and do something to build a leftist movement in this country and in this world that can bury these fascist pieces of poo poo at the bottom of a deep dark hole where they've always belonged, before we're all boiled alive by climate change or droned by the ruling class? Or am I instituting a purity test now?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kilroy posted:

How about this WampaLord: how about instead of telling people what words they can use based on whether or not whether some internet shitlords have also used them yet, and how about instead of hemming and hawing because a few posters think maybe Senate Democrats should not have clapped and hooted and hollered for some geriatric lich who should have died of skin cancer during the Clinton administration if there were any justice in the world - how about instead of all that you get with the loving program and do something to build a leftist movement in this country and in this world that can bury these fascist pieces of poo poo at the bottom of a deep dark hole where they've always belonged, before we're all boiled alive by climate change or droned by the ruling class? Or am I instituting a purity test now?

Jesus gently caress, did I kill your dog or something?

And by the way, I'm doing what I can in my own way, don't question my motives, that's extremely loving rude.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

Serious answer: juggling licences, operating local programs and services, transit, working with community advocate groups such as historical preservation, business deals such as large scale construction, working with developers, public housing, police, paying off victims of the police, local festivities and charities, utilities and infrastructure, and questionable long standing budget holes in departments that haven't been audited in decades that certainly have nothing at all to do with laundering any amount of the billion dollar contraband flowing through the heroin capital.

One of the problems of the suburbs is decentralizing the income of a centralized population center and spending a lot of public money to shield you from observing society.

Edit:

WampaLord posted:

And by the way, I'm doing what I can in my own way, don't question my motives, that's extremely loving rude.
I think he's implying you're some kind of hack fraud.

Sneakster fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 30, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

WampaLord posted:

Jesus gently caress, did I kill your dog or something?

Says the guy who just got done admonishing another poster because he used a term that's been overloaded by the alt-right, but did not use it in the sense that the alt-right usually does.

You know that plays into their hands, right? They want to leave us with no means to communicate our thoughts, and they can easily do this by taking our language for themselves because they know hand-wringing idiots like you will do most of the work for them. Cut it out.

The only time you should care about the specific idioms fascist shitlords use with one another is when you're cataloguing them for use at their eventual show trials - never for insulting or denigrating a leftist who uses an appropriated term in the correct / original sense.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The use of virtue signaling wasn't even correct though with regards to Gillibrand's support of single payer

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Inescapable Duck posted:

There's a college town not far from me whose government successfully promotes:
  • Community Policing -- The police are reliable. They regularly interact with crazies, indigents, junkies, minorities and drunk college students without incident.
  • 'Good' Urban Planning -- Years ago, they decided on intensive rather than extensive growth. It's my understanding that this is mainly achieved through zoning and permitting policies. It's paid off big time in terms of short commutes, helping local businesses, walkability and --
  • Public Transit -- The city itself is <80K and the metro's ~200k. The public transit is actually useful and they're top 20, nationally, for annual per capita ridership. The city government really throws their weight behind this, too.
Public engagement is high, too. That's absolutely a precondition for the existence of such a government and the sustaining of such a government.

And none of this involves the parties. They only seem to be a factor during elections and larger matters, such a corporate donor wanting to build a new facility nearby.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The use of virtue signaling wasn't even correct though with regards to Gillibrand's support of single payer

He's right. Virtue signaling generally refers to a specific kind of empty advocacy which serves the vanity of the speaker more than the cause itself. It's not the same as simply lying to keep in power.

Edit: For the record, I personally don't care if people use the term since there are times where it's accurate. That said it's generally used by the kind of people who can't fathom someone actually being in favor of minority rights, so expect to get poo poo if you run around using it unironically.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 30, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/the-administration/343963-opinion-democrats-time-to-wish-hillary-clinton-good

quote:

OPINION | Democrats: Time to wish Hillary Clinton good luck and goodbye

Schumer has described “A Better Deal” as “not about moving the party left or right,” nor “about appealing to one coalition or another.” Pelosi has followed by clarifying that the new focus “is not a course correction, but it’s a presentation correction.”

Four more years of Trump it is, then. Keep on being centrists and catering to "moderate Republicans", all the while convincing the working class and poor to stay home.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Remember when people were saying that Howard Dean should become head of the DNC again?

https://twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/891593722370162688
(retweeted by him)
https://twitter.com/CaptainsLog2017/status/891462342529044480

Although he isn't wrong all the time.

https://twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/891357220817977345

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 30, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's real annoying how the party has bought into myth that america is generally conservative. it's the loving opposite.

that tweet is gross as hell too. don't applaud them for basic decency.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 30, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's real annoying how the party has bought into myth that america is generally conservative. it's the loving opposite.

That would be admitting that they can't get most of their base motivated and out to the polls

Optics!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It is amazing how much Corbyn loving terrifies establishment democrats.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*polling shows americans in general want social democracy* hmm let's keep this third way going!!!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Eh, in terms of garbage tier centrists, I'd much rather work with somebody like Dean since he's A) willing to push for universal healthcare while he's also pushing for stupid poo poo like a balanced budget/lower taxes B) as willing to work with progressives as he is to work with republicans C) not a complete partisan dud of an individual.

Just look at the idiot he was replying to.

https://twitter.com/MrDane1982/status/891688652518154240
(if you really want to get mad or :psyduck: at people living an an alternate reality no different than the extreme-far-right, browse his twitter feed)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 30, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Remember when people were saying that Howard Dean should become head of the DNC again?

Dean is at least competent. They worst of both worlds is a milquetoast centrist that is also an incompetent con artist like Robbie Mook or Mothership Strategies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Call Me Charlie posted:

Eh, in terms of garbage tier centrists, I'd much rather work with somebody like Dean since he's A) willing to push for universal healthcare while he's also pushing for stupid poo poo like a balanced budget/lower taxes B) as willing to work with progressives as he is to work with republicans C) not a complete partisan dud of an individual.

i don't mean dean i mean the people lining up to congratulate people for doing the bare minimum.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't mean dean i mean the people lining up to congratulate people for doing the bare minimum.

Oh, sorry. I thought that part was directed at me since he said he was willing to call a truce with people like Bernie so we can move towards implementing Medicare For All.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I'm not afraid to make some predictions. I also don't assume that my opinions, despite the fact that they are objectively true and correct, will be expressed in electoral politics. They never has in the past and there's a lot of inertia in the Democrats.

I bet the right wing Democrats shrug off any primary challenges from the left. Maybe a minor house congressman will get popped. Not more than a couple.

Leftists will continue entryisming state Democrat parties. Maybe a couple states will be under our control but it will be in states where the Democrats only ever will Dog Catcher or whatever.

For the house races, the right wing Democrats will swear up and down they learned the lessons of 2016 and the special elections. They will run a dozen Ossoffs in seats that in a normal wave would turn and they'll pick up like one seat. Meanwhile DSA, Redneck Revolt or whoever will run candidates in less promising districts and pick up more seats (like maybe a half dozen).

The Senate looks worse. The electoral map is very daunting. If the Republicans field that guy who used to pitch for the Red Sox he will crucify Elizabeth Warren. That post I made a few pages ago about the Republicans running Goku comedy candidates wasn't a joke. We're staring down the barrel of Senator Kid Rock and Senator Doctor Oz. The Ossoffs the Democrats run will not stand a chance.

There is hope, though. The right wing Democrats will be so obsessed with holding onto power and how their Ossoffs are going to win bigly that they won't defend local races. Likewise, the Republicans think they have a thousand year Reich for some reason and a few states are being forced to redistrict their gerrymandered districts. They left is going to make a lot more progress in city councils, mayorships, as dog catchers and in state legislatures.

Taking over a political party takes time and effort. I think we'll be in a better position by the time the 2020 clown car starts filling up. All the more if Schumer gets popped off by Vince McMahon or Howard Stern.

PS. Howard Dean has been compromised for a good long time.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Dmitri-9 posted:

Dean is at least competent. They worst of both worlds is a milquetoast centrist that is also an incompetent con artist like Robbie Mook or Mothership Strategies.

What exactly has Dean done to separate himself from them?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

Hasn't Dean become like a turbo-lobbyist for some Middle East feudal hole, though?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

If the Republicans field that guy who used to pitch for the Red Sox he will crucify Elizabeth Warren.

lol no he will not. curt schilling is loving insane.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

1- *mccain returns to vote*

2- *democratic caucus flips him off*

3- *mccain votes for skinny repeal in predictable fit of pique*

4- ?

5- progressive victory

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you're so loving dumb holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The balanced budget idea sounds great, but it just leads to a balanced budget in Democrat years at first, followed by Republicans starting wars and expecting Democrats to cut services to balance them, and we has a balanced budget once, and it just led to parodies of Al Gore shouting "LOCKBOX" all over the place

• Locked thread