Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Closest thing I've done to that was spend 5 bucks on Blade Symphony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Richard M Nixon posted:

I think socketing a blue lv1 glyph to a purple talisman raised me a few points. Maybe 5? I didn't pay attention as I leveled the glyph, though.

drat blues aren't worth dick then apparently. I have 3 pip blue gear for each slot on my heal set all at varying levels and I'm nowhere near 100 iscore. I still have a shitload of bags to open though so hopefully I can make some purple's this weekend.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone whose played FFXIV like to weigh in if I should move from FFXIV to this if Im into cooperative gameplay? I've gotten to lvl 30ish in FFXIV with a friend but Im wondering if we should go to SWL instead.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Nf3 posted:

Has anyone whose played FFXIV like to weigh in if I should move from FFXIV to this if Im into cooperative gameplay? I've gotten to lvl 30ish in FFXIV with a friend but Im wondering if we should go to SWL instead.

I've played both games for the story with a partner and both are amazing. SWL has less terrible voice acting (gently caress you, Yda) and some very unique quests. FF14 takes longer and has a more compelling endgame, but if you want to enjoy the journey, both are awesome. I couldn't argue for one over the other unless one of you has a huge interest in either modern horror or animu. SWL is free, so there's that.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
FFXIV is really the only major competitor to WoW in terms of scope and the amount of content. Coming to SWL might feel like a big step back. Story-wise, they're about the same, and SWL is very fun if you go into it thinking single-player or small-group content, but it's a very different scale.

That said, SWL is also free and not $15 a month. For that price, it's extremely good still. Once you reach end-game stuff, apparently buying things with real money can be an issue, but I'm not having any issues at all scrubbin' around and taking my time leveling. If you're looking to cut costs on games a bit and just wanna try things out, SWL is a really good alternative.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
While I think there's no contest and FFXIV is superior to SWL when it comes to cooperative play, SWL costs nothing to try so you lose nothing but some time giving it a whirl. They're two very different games and you may find yourself charmed by SWL despite FFXIV's much more abundant and focused cooperative play.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

M_Sinistrari posted:

We've all been guilty of a similar sin. I swore to high Heaven I wasn't going to be buying funbux on SWTOR since they were already nickle and diming me with a sub and drat if I was weak and bought funbux because it came with a free pet. I also admit to breaking a commandment level sin of buying the full bells and whistles edition of Duke Nukem Forever for my fiance that he's barely played.

I'll often throw in 10-20 bux on F2P games if I stick with them, but it's gotta be something where I can see a good return. A big pile of QoL stuff, or something particularly shiny or whatever. Looking around 2000 aurum could disappear in the blink of an eye, and patron's main bonuses are double SP/AP and 20% more marks which is nice but not an "oh wow" thing.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 30, 2017

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Bruceski posted:

I'll often throw in 10-20 bux on F2P games if I stick with them, but it's gotta be something where I can see a good return. A big pile of QoL stuff, or something particularly shiny or whatever. Looking around 2000 aurum could disappear in the blink of an eye, and patron's main bonuses are double SP/AP and 20% more marks which is nice but not an "oh wow" thing.
Patron is way more than just those two bonuses, the loot box key every day, free teleports and 8 hour mission cooldowns are all amazing too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pilchenstein posted:

Patron is way more than just those two bonuses, the loot box key every day, free teleports and 8 hour mission cooldowns are all amazing too.

Maybe later, but not for me right now. I can't even use a single lootbox key yet, teleports seem trivial since the hub is free and I don't need to move around much, and there's always more quests to do so repetition hasn't been a need.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Len posted:

How much do glyphs count towards iscore?
More than you would think. If I had paid more attention to mine I'd be doing Elite 2s already. Soon though...

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I put in a little money to have Patron and the free teleports and quicker cool downs on quests are huge quality of life improvements.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kessel posted:

I put in a little money to have Patron and the free teleports and quicker cool downs on quests are huge quality of life improvements.

:same:

Have about a week to go from my first month. Was worth it, no question.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Alright so if you go claws put frenzied wrath, primal instinct, ferocity, and mangle on your bar. Build up enough fury for at an activation of frenzied wrath. Try to get all your abilities off but the most important one is maim, but the more dots you can stack the better. When you come out of the frenzied wrath bar hit primal instinct, ferocity, and mangle whatever you stacked your dots on. I'm using a level one green one pip claw and I'm getting hits for 8-10k, with my dots ticking for 300+ during primal instinct. Along with mostly tank gear. During pvp I can get this to crit for over 160k and just delete guys. The problem is that it's super fiddly to set up, requires precise timing and energy management, and if you get stunned/cleansed/purged you'll lose the small window of opportunity. It takes up most of your bar and can only be used once every 20 seconds. Totally worth it to just splatter a hammer guy though.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Kessel posted:

Yeah I finally gave in and subscribed this weekend. Definitely worth it. Hit level 20 and made it to Savage Coast finally.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Patron gives a lot of little things and none of them seem super amazing on their own. When you have it all it's really nice though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I like the free daily key for the purple boxes. Don't care about the fancy jackpots - just give me more of those infusions to pimp my gear.

The consolation prizes are actually the good prizes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DancingShade posted:

I like the free daily key for the purple boxes. Don't care about the fancy jackpots - just give me more of those infusions to pimp my gear.

The consolation prizes are actually the good prizes.

I opened a bunch of cache boxes and wound up with a big stack of signet enhancers. (In addition to a bunch of useful things.) I don't have any signets! :qq:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Len posted:

How much do glyphs count towards iscore?

It's a lot. Probably more than it should be. I gained like 20 points this weekend and it was almost all from 4-5 glyphs getting much more upgraded.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

prefect posted:

I opened a bunch of cache boxes and wound up with a big stack of signet enhancers. (In addition to a bunch of useful things.) I don't have any signets! :qq:

I got a ton of distillates which were very nice since I leveled the poo poo out of my ARG weapons.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

M_Sinistrari posted:

I got a ton of distillates which were very nice since I leveled the poo poo out of my ARG weapons.

Were people complaining that dungeons were giving them too many distillates? What kind of crazy people are they?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

prefect posted:

Were people complaining that dungeons were giving them too many distillates? What kind of crazy people are they?

People are stupid shits who in the first few days said "bloo bloo I don't have full three dot dungeon gear, make gear drop more often" so the monkey's paw closed and now we're swimming in unstackable garbage that no-life players have devalued to 200 mof.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Richard M Nixon posted:

People are stupid shits who in the first few days said "bloo bloo I don't have full three dot dungeon gear, make gear drop more often" so the monkey's paw closed and now we're swimming in unstackable garbage that no-life players have devalued to 200 mof.

and we'll probably never see it go back to how it was for months, if ever.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

Interesting theory on how "no-life players" devalued these lovely items, not AH caps being removed and soloable story dungeons dropping them in bulk. Show me on the doll where the bad hardcores touched you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Is there *ever* any decent loot? I mean, I have a two-pip purple shotgun with a meaningless bonus (+450 protection while equipped). Even if some three-pip green drops with a bonus like "Does double damage on days ending in Y", leveling the thing back up to purple again would be ridiculous. Do blues or purples ever just drop on their own?

I don't play this game for the gear because it's all boring, but if good stuff doesn't drop directly what's the point of elites or nightmares?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Amante posted:

Interesting theory on how "no-life players" devalued these lovely items, not AH caps being removed and soloable story dungeons dropping them in bulk. Show me on the doll where the bad hardcores touched you.

One enables the other.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

Is there *ever* any decent loot? I mean, I have a two-pip purple shotgun with a meaningless bonus (+450 protection while equipped). Even if some three-pip green drops with a bonus like "Does double damage on days ending in Y", leveling the thing back up to purple again would be ridiculous. Do blues or purples ever just drop on their own?

I don't play this game for the gear because it's all boring, but if good stuff doesn't drop directly what's the point of elites or nightmares?

You're going to level another shotgun anyway so you can slap two purples together. Only the one you intend to keep matters.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The conversion-to-Steam-account thing: I thought that was something you had to sign up for? I just tried getting in to SWL and was told to gently caress off and go through Steam.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

prefect posted:

I remember some people claiming to get nothing but distillates. When I ran Polaris, while part of me was a skosh disappointed to not get a gear upgrade, I wasn't pissed over all the distillates since I knew I was going to use the hell out of those.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

The conversion-to-Steam-account thing: I thought that was something you had to sign up for? I just tried getting in to SWL and was told to gently caress off and go through Steam.

If you bought on Steam originally you're automatically a steam SWL account. You can free your account from Steam (permanently, one time only) by using some option in your account page on the secretworldlegends site.

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm re-downloading the client via Steam because gently caress it. Only a ~20GB download.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 31, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They didn't need to go as overboard on the loot ratio as they did but opening 18 chests and getting no equipment was ridiculous and artificially inflated the value of even a 1 pip. Now the games been out for a bit and there's no more auction house limits so of course prices on one pip everything are going to drop to the ground. The economy in this game has never been good and I'm not sure why people are surprised it's still trash.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

DancingShade posted:

If you bought on Steam originally you're automatically a steam SWL account. You can free your account from Steam (permanently, one time only) by using some option in your account page on the secretworldlegends site.

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm re-downloading the client via Steam because gently caress it. Only a ~20GB download.

Well, I just tried to log in and I've been ninja converted to Steam. I'm now very worried about what might've happened to my roster.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

M_Sinistrari posted:

Well, I just tried to log in and I've been ninja converted to Steam. I'm now very worried about what might've happened to my roster.

Pretty sure all your stuff is still in there. I had SWL automatically added to my Steam library. Won't be able to check anything until after work though so you'll probably know long before me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DancingShade posted:

And Avast decided that SecretWorldLegends.exe was a virus! :toot:

Something to watch out for:

prefect fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 31, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

prefect posted:

And Avast decided that SecretWorldLegends.exe was a virus! :toot:

Something to watch out for:

I don't which lazy joke to make. Filth or saving you from yourself.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In anticipation of something going horribly wrong because it was overlooked I'd already removed the auto-renew off my subscription because I think the Steam client is intended to work entirely via wallet funds.

The option isn't even on my account screen now so I'm glad I did that a couple days ago :toot:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

DancingShade posted:

In anticipation of something going horribly wrong because it was overlooked I'd already removed the auto-renew off my subscription because I think the Steam client is intended to work entirely via wallet funds.

The option isn't even on my account screen now so I'm glad I did that a couple days ago :toot:

Had I known there was a chance of my account getting converted without my okay, I might've done that as a precaution. Looks like I'm stuck with however this plays out now.

edit to add: And there's already a couple Steam DLC bundles popping for SWL.

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 31, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If you bought TSW Ultimate Edition, you even get an exclusive recolor of that Supernatural DLC outfit!

It's very... earthy.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Len posted:

They didn't need to go as overboard on the loot ratio as they did but opening 18 chests and getting no equipment was ridiculous and artificially inflated the value of even a 1 pip. Now the games been out for a bit and there's no more auction house limits so of course prices on one pip everything are going to drop to the ground. The economy in this game has never been good and I'm not sure why people are surprised it's still trash.

That was the story dungeons, which were always SUPPOSED to be trash.

Elites dropped the same day as the loot changes, I think? So Elites might have been tuned perfectly beforehand, but who knows?

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I didn't seem to have any issues converting to steam, luckily. Other than losing patron (until that's fixed) and the game telling me I put in the wrong un/pw the very first time I attempted to log in through steam (2nd attempt worked fine).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

theflyingorc posted:

That was the story dungeons, which were always SUPPOSED to be trash.

Elites dropped the same day as the loot changes, I think? So Elites might have been tuned perfectly beforehand, but who knows?

How do you know elites weren't always tuned to drop more gear than distillates since gear is more worthless getting a purple to max level?