Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Calaveron posted:

I could not scroll by fast enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is not the thread for debating whether or not pictures are funny, it's the thread for posting funny pictures and talking about Warhammer

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

South Park has better animation than this.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jamesman posted:

South Park has better animation than this.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Paladinus posted:

Imagine being that guy, who came up with that fake bullshit to get points on imgur or whatever.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's assuming that the Hive Fleets the Imperium has encountered are the bulk of Tyranid forces. Which seems unlikely. The theories I've heard are that they're vanguards of a much, much greater Tyranid fleet that ate a neighboring galaxy and is looking for more food, or that they're running from something.

I've always like the 'running from something' theory, because then the galaxy is well and truly hosed.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Garrand posted:

I work in a hardware store. The number of times I get a lady in "My husband just sent me to pick up a screw."

Okay well here's my aisle with 1000 different types of screws. Usually just ends up with me on the phone with the husband (who often barely knows any more what kind of piece he needs anyway.)

Man it must be so great to be able to lord your supreme knowledge about a 6/32 vs 8/32 over some housewife. I'm really impressed with how awesome you you are.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_aQiKoe-RI

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Ferrule posted:

Man it must be so great to be able to lord your supreme knowledge about a 6/32 vs 8/32 over some housewife. I'm really impressed with how awesome you you are.

If you need a screw for an outlet or switch cover plate they are 6-32 oval head screws and cabinet and drawer pulls are usually 8-32 truss head screws, at least the metal ones with tapped threads. Wood ones often just use wood screws.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is not the thread for debating whether or not pictures are funny, it's the thread for posting funny pictures and talking about Warhammer

Awwwww, he built a mini of his house. I wonder if he made little miniatures of him and his family that are just a little better looking and the furniture in it is just a little nicer.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

‘Establishment’ wigs an aid to young men in the 1970s

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Solice Kirsk posted:

Awwwww, he built a mini of his house. I wonder if he made little miniatures of him and his family that are just a little better looking and the furniture in it is just a little nicer.

In my head canon, he's about to smash it with that rock.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Choco1980 posted:

In my head canon, he's about to smash it with that rock.

In my head canon my parents actually love me

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

In my head canon my parents actually love me

In my head canon your parents love me too.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Garrand posted:

If you need a screw for an outlet or switch cover plate they are 6-32 oval head screws and cabinet and drawer pulls are usually 8-32 truss head screws, at least the metal ones with tapped threads. Wood ones often just use wood screws.

Congratulations, you win screw knowing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Garrand posted:

I work in a hardware store. The number of times I get a lady in "My husband just sent me to pick up a screw."

Man, I wish I got hit on at work...

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I ain't watching a twentytwo minute video.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_otwa8uuYWP1rvep16_480.mp4#_=_

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Who What Now posted:

I ain't watching a twentytwo minute video.

pretty quickly you start rooting for the guy

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Congratulations, you win screw knowing.

There are multiple grades of bolts and you can identify them based on the markings on their heads. Grade 2 bolts are just basic steel bolts. They will have either no markings or just a manufacturers stamp on the head. Grade 5 bolts are hardened bolts that can be identified by 3 lines in a kind of Y pattern on the head. These can sometimes be used as shear pins (although you'll want to know the force the shear pin is meant to take before putting in a hardened bolt) otherwise most people just go with grade 8. Grade 8 bolts are harder still and will have 6 lines on top of the head. These are standards for imperial measured SAE bolts.

Metric bolts will have a number on the head indicating the grade of the bolt; 8.8, 10.9, and 12.9 are common although there are other grades. The higher the number the harder the metal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doesn't a harder steel make it more brittle and thus more likely to snap under tensile loading?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I think that generally refers to case-hardening, which is just a surface treatment.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is a riveting conversation.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Doesn't a harder steel make it more brittle and thus more likely to snap under tensile loading?

While harder bolts are technically more brittle, calling a bolt brittle is based on the relative strength of the bolt. The differences are such that even if a grade 8 bolt would break from being brittle a grade 5 and especially 2 bolt would have given way sooner anyway due to just being a weaker material. In short: If pure strength is what you're looking for grade 8 is always a better, if more expensive, option.

e: To clarify: basically what's happening is that, as a bolt reaches the maximum load it can bear, it can either deform or break. Harder bolts will break as it hits those limits while softer metals bend instead. It's just that the grade 8 bolts limits are so much higher that it doesn't make much of a difference.

I'm not a metallurgist by any means, this is just from what I've read up on the subject and talking with the rep who deals our fastener hardware.

Garrand has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Jul 31, 2017

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

edgy dunk best dunk

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RareAcumen posted:

This is a riveting conversation.

Screw you, I'm enjoying it.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

Screw you, I'm enjoying it.

:golfclap:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Memento posted:

I think that generally refers to case-hardening, which is just a surface treatment.

Oh, I missed this. I believe that's actually the reverse. The point of case-hardening is hardening the exterior of a steel that can't be hardened (low carbon content) or requires certain forms of flexibility under specific kinds of stresses. Basically the tootsie pops of hardware.

last edit: I honestly didn't mean to make so much of this. I was just planning on posting a screw or bolt based comment towards anybody who snarked my previous ones just to see how long people would reply.

I tried searching for something funny on imgur but bolts just really aren't funny.

Garrand has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Jul 31, 2017

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Garrand posted:

Oh, I missed this. I believe that's actually the reverse. The point of case-hardening is hardening the exterior of a steel that can't be hardened (low carbon content) or requires certain forms of flexibility under specific kinds of stresses. Basically the tootsie pops of hardware.

last edit: I honestly didn't mean to make so much of this. I was just planning on posting a screw or bolt based comment towards anybody who snarked my previous ones just to see how long people would reply.

I tried searching for something funny on imgur but bolts just really aren't funny.

How the hell are the first two on the second row even supposed to work?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

It's a joke image.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

:thejoke:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
How could anyone tell that's a joke image without the Obvious Plant logo in the corner?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I've never gotten a joke in my entire life.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Chard posted:

:goonsay:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chard posted:

:smae:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
:smee:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
:poo poo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in olden days, one had the time to process the material both for the message presented at face-value and the subtlety required in its deeper message, incongruous with the one presented at face value, thereby creating humor through our individual attempts to reconcile the conflict between the face-value message and the deeper message at the heart of parody and satire.

these days, we still have that time, but often the message itself is the joke. the conflict isn't in the incongruity of message but rather in the conflict between the message and the personal assumptions of the reader, combined with the common traits and events experienced by those in the same demographic.

Gene Hackman Fan has a new favorite as of 06:51 on Jul 31, 2017