Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So I didn't watch or read or spoil myself about anything Fate/Apocrypha related, but considering OP, ED and some unsubtle hints thrown around this thread am I right in guessing that

the main protagonist is the super flat, bland and boring homunculus guy together with super bland and boring (but as ED shows, not flat) Jeanne?

Because if so, then gently caress this lame-rear end show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Jeanne is just so boring compared to Mordred.

I demand 24/7, 365 Mordred coverage.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

So I didn't watch or read or spoil myself about anything Fate/Apocrypha related, but considering OP, ED and some unsubtle hints thrown around this thread am I right in guessing that

the main protagonist is the super flat, bland and boring homunculus guy together with super bland and boring (but as ED shows, not flat) Jeanne?

Because if so, then gently caress this lame-rear end show.

The answer to that lies in the splash art of the anime's website

http://fate-apocrypha.com/

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

Jeanne is just so boring compared to Mordred.

I demand 24/7, 365 Mordred coverage.

It is hard to compete against the adorable combo of Mordred and her master.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Trying to think of any reasonable symbolism behind Reika and Assassin completely lacking faces during their back and forth chat until the close-up, and coming up with a blank. If the reason was instead to save animation budget that's also not a great sign given how blatantly visible it was, minor scene or no. Something under such focus is not where you should be making your cuts.

Hell, even if it was deliberate and supposed to represent something it just looked terrible.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
At first I thought it was gonna be 12 episodes so I could slightly forgive the rushed pacing but apparently it's 24?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

12 episodes are mordred and astolfo hanging out

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Big spoiler speculation

The first half is Black Lancer saga and the second half is ruler vs. ruler.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

At first I thought it was gonna be 12 episodes so I could slightly forgive the rushed pacing but apparently it's 24?
Actually, this episode felt interminably slow to me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's because the show is suffering from the late stages of Mordred Withdrawal Syndrome.

I wish we'd at least get more Shirou Evilmiya.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mordja posted:

Actually, this episode felt interminably slow to me.

Yeah it doesn't really feel like a lot happened this week. Like it was killing time up until the stinger.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Latest episode: And then Homunculus boy lived happily ever after with his new friend on the farm, never to be seen by anyone related to the grail war again.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lord Koth posted:

Trying to think of any reasonable symbolism behind Reika and Assassin completely lacking faces during their back and forth chat until the close-up, and coming up with a blank. If the reason was instead to save animation budget that's also not a great sign given how blatantly visible it was, minor scene or no. Something under such focus is not where you should be making your cuts.

Hell, even if it was deliberate and supposed to represent something it just looked terrible.

I think it was meant to be creepy. Very horror reminiscent.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Jack the Ripper scene did unsettle me a bit with the cuts and stills and music so it was fine as a scene.

Also I want to know how Jeanne persuaded a French girl praying to let her use her body.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

yeah that's how I saw it as well. whether it works or not is up to the viewer tho

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
No complaints about the show, there's a contrast between people trying to live as best as they can (Sieg v2, Astolfo, Mordred, Caules and his frankenwaifu), and the brutal no-holds barred war between everyone else.

That, and i quite like how the show looks in general. All the shots look great, even the ones made out of stills. Looking at details, the director worked on Charlotte, which I also recall looking great. But I blame the hosed up structure of that show on the series composition.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
I'm kind of enjoying this for the Fate nonsense but ultimately I feel like it fails to use the ensemble cast very well. Fate Zero was great because basically everyone had an arc, however simple or brutally truncated by violence, but here we have, what, Sieg 2.0, Mordred, Evil Priest and if we stretch the Golem Caster? Maybe something will come of the siblings. A lot of what's happened thus far was directly or indirectly driven by Sieg 2.0, since some people wanted to save him and other people wanted to turn him into a golem battery.

I suppose it's early days yet. I'm just discouraged it looks like four masters on team black are about to kicked offstage without a word.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe? It certainly didn't work for me, though Manatee Cannon could have hit it on the head there with in not necessarily working for everyone. Part of the problem with that reasoning, for me at least, is that most of the portion where they have no faces is just them talking about how they need to be wary of Servants and that neither faction is their friend - hardly something I consider a "creepy" topic. Comments like everyone suddenly staying indoors where they currently are for some reason were made in the window shots when they still had faces.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Jack the Ripper scene did unsettle me a bit with the cuts and stills and music so it was fine as a scene.

Also I want to know how Jeanne persuaded a French girl praying to let her use her body.

Look at it this way, a devout French girl had the most iconic French saint personally request her help with a task during her prayers.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

Look at it this way, a devout French girl had the most iconic French saint personally request her help with a task during her prayers.

Faith is one hell of a drug.

Enjoying this so far, needs a lot more Mordred though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I get that Astolfo wouldn't benefit from doing so, but attaching a big-rear end rock to a prisoners' hands seems like its just asking for someone to get whacked. I did like him getting a surround-bollocking from practically everyone though.

Anyway, I like Jeanne even if Sieg is kind of generic and boring. I'm probably biased though, she keeps saving my rear end in FGO.

Also I watched two seasons of fuckin' Outcast so even if things really drag I'm gonna stick with this. Shove some explosions in every so often and there's worse ways to use twenty minutes. Still liking it so far though.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Meanwhile, in A-1 office

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
im the big black seafood

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

El Burbo posted:

Meanwhile, in A-1 office

Astolfo is best Astolfo. :hai:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Today's episode, is quite alright.

Morgan Le Fay finally has a design, very neat

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

There was an episode today?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Episodes every Saturday.

The fansub schedule, however, is less consistent and timely

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I meant: There are shows airing this week that aren't affected by the olympics special broadcast thing?

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...

Grouchio posted:

I meant: There are shows airing this week that aren't affected by the olympics special broadcast thing?

I was also expecting Apocrypha to take a hit from the Olympics thing but glad it turned out otherwise as this episode was solid and had some funny animation goofs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Today's fapocalypse has not been interrupted by the special Olympics.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Xarbala posted:

Today's fapocalypse has not been interrupted by the special Olympics.

I was this close to correcting myself but decided against it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/Disgaeamad/status/893885889927163904

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Today's episode was great. It's good to see a fate/ thing leaning in to how silly its premise is.

One thing that always bothered me about the previous series was how much more interesting the stuff the magicians in the show mentioned magic could do was than anything we were actually shown on screen. So I'm very glad I got to see a man with the other sort of finger-gun fight Dr Octopus.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

I've never watched or played anything to do with Fate and watched six episodes of this. I really don't like Sieg at all and get mad every time it focuses on his lame mopey rear end, but the newest episode was cool for focusing on Mordred and the necromancer dude, who are the best parts of the show.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Reminder that King Arthur (inhumanly perfect King that she is) left Mordred in charge of Camelot while off fighting Romans.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The mage combat between Lion-Go and Cripple Girl was badass

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
now that's what I call a finger gun!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
it cant just be me, but did it feel like production is falling behind and it doesnt look as great as earlier episodes

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The cat somersaulting sideways at the end of the Mordred gif says differently.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I knew it, the strongest Servant Class is Car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Finally an episode with the best character in the show having the time she deserves. And it was good, as it should be.

Mordred's love for cats is also a perfect fit for today, International Cat Day. UTW released the subs on the right day.

And the most powerful spell appears. Car.

• Locked thread