Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I'm flipping through the new marine codex and there's a Thunderhawk very prominently displayed in one of the Ultramarines army pictures. I've only been playing since early 7th edition so I can't speak for previously to that, but this is the first time I've seen Forgeworld models in a GW prime rulebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
basically unless you're using special characters go do whatever. My Salamanders have been used as raven guard, charcharadons, iron hands, etc.

Played some of the advanced missions lately.

The Bunker Assault mission doesn't seem too great.

The defender is saddled with taking a bunch of fortifications, plus they're supposed to be the weaker side. Attackers, on the other hand, get to ignore the heavy weapon movement penalty against structures, and are guaranteed first turn.

Said fortifications are way too easy to kill. By the end of my second turn I basically won with 9 points because I killed one of the bunkers and the central fortress (and most of the occupants- the collapse rules are brutal). And these are T10 with 15 and 30 wounds, respectively.

And, like, I didn't particularly purpose-build my list towards taking out big targets, is the thing. The Fire Raptor, which is not a unit I'd have pegged as a tank killer, basically sandpapered one of the bunkers to death with just its forward-facing weapons (the damage 3 missiles are good). The fortress was basically taken down by footslogging tactical squad lascannons and a really lucky pair of combi-melta shots. Near everyone, including 3 characters, died because of the collapse rule. We kinda just agreed to end it half way through the second turn.

We also tried out Death from the Skies.

Kinda ran into some oddities right away. Unless I'm missing something, RAW the person who has the first turn in the dogfight phase is at a distinct disadvantage because any return fire in the dogfight phase will be from models that have not moved yet and thus won't have a -1 penalty to their heavy weapons.

Also, relatedly, working out your modified to-hit turned into a bit of a chore, but that might've just been me being tired. You start at 3, but -1 for moving, -1 for hard to hit, +1 for interceptor, +1 for head-on-pass, +1 for being an icarus stormcannon, etc.

On the plus side having firing arcs cut down on a lot of the flier bullshit like maneuvering as such where you could snipe characters etc.

Additionally: Salamander rerolls good. Raven Guard to hit penalty good. Chapter Tactics, good. We're probably not going to use them against non-SM armies for the time being just in the interest of fairness. We'll probably let our BA and Wolf players use the warlord traits and stratagems, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

I have HIGH HOPES for the upcoming Chaos codex

HIGH HOPES

DON'T gently caress THIS UP GAMES WORKSHOP

:smith:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Pendent posted:

I'm flipping through the new marine codex and there's a Thunderhawk very prominently displayed in one of the Ultramarines army pictures. I've only been playing since early 7th edition so I can't speak for previously to that, but this is the first time I've seen Forgeworld models in a GW prime rulebook.

I think it was either 2nd or 3rd edition's marine codex where they had the old pewter TH in the background of the Ultramarine group shot. There were even Elysian and Krieg models in one of the older Guard Codices if I'm remembering right.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

BULBASAUR posted:

Pucker your butte. Here comes GW

Warhammer 40,000: Pucker your butte. Here comes GW.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
If the chaos book is basically the same as the space marine book it would be pretty cool, since we don't need special force org poo poo or anything anymore so cool little chapter differences is enough to make them different enough.

I am hoping for Alpha legion having something that buffs Cultists!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

The best thing is when you have six kastellans in cover and they tank literally everything the enemy army throws at it, Then switch to shooting protocols and throw 108 str 8 -2ap shots down range from SIX models. Rerolling all failed hits of course because you took cawl and your a G.

God I hope Mechanicum gets it once the codex comes out.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

BULBASAUR posted:

Pucker your butte. Here comes GW

actually its better to relax

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

The best thing is when you have six kastellans in cover and they tank literally everything the enemy army throws at it, Then switch to shooting protocols and throw 108 str 8 -2ap shots down range from SIX models. Rerolling all failed hits of course because you took cawl and your a G.

I thought Kastelan's guns were only S6?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Black_Nexus posted:

If the chaos book is basically the same as the space marine book it would be pretty cool, since we don't need special force org poo poo or anything anymore so cool little chapter differences is enough to make them different enough.

I am hoping for Alpha legion having something that buffs Cultists!

I'm hoping Warp Talons and Chosen get a discount. I'm salty about warp talons and raptors coming in at the same point cost, but then having the talons inexplicably cost 2 PL more =(

It'd also be nice to get some of the cool relics from the Traitor Legions books brought back as stratagems or something; the 1k Sons had a nifty item that let one of your infantry units move like they had jump packs.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I think hellfire shells is a really nice stratagem.

I often have a heavy bolter or two in the list, either from a scout squad or from me putting one in a tac squad. And having the ability to put d3 mortal wounds downrange for 1cp is nice, especially if you have a reroll source. Having the ability to have a clutch heavy bolter sitting until the end of the turn and using it to put the last point of damage onto a vehicle or MC or something seems good. And on average it'll kill a terminator if you really need one dead.

I find it really really hard to use CP on rerolls now because there's too much poo poo to spend them on. Like keeping 2 in the tank for auspex, or saving 3 to have a heavy melee squad fight twice.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 31, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I really need to see what the Chaos answer to Primaris is going to be

My gut feeling is 2-wound Chosen

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

goose willis posted:

I really need to see what the Chaos answer to Primaris is going to be

My gut feeling is 2-wound Chosen

'Good' chosen would be a welcome change. They have been underwhelming for a while.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

C-C-CROSS POST! I'm loving BT neophytes having Bretonnian heads, it totally changes the profile into feudal space-knights.

OATH COMPLETE!

bumblebigs

castillian

neophytes

Claiming Time to Shine for the lenses on the scout pistol sights, those came out much better than I thought they would.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

I thought Kastelan's guns were only S6?

They are. Heavy 3, S6, AP-2,D1.

Of course, they're phosphor weapons, so no cover saves.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

a cock shaped fruit posted:

'Good' chosen would be a welcome change. They have been underwhelming for a while.

Good things about Chosen: cool models (the Dark Vengeance ones), can pick any weapon they want

Bad things about Chosen: they are literally as survivable as your regular dudes and you still pay through the nose for them

I never really understood how Chaos marines that are literally chosen as the best servants of the dark gods are just so loving weaksauce like give them magic powers or some poo poo gently caress

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

goose willis posted:

Good things about Chosen: cool models (the Dark Vengeance ones), can pick any weapon they want

Bad things about Chosen: they are literally as survivable as your regular dudes and you still pay through the nose for them

I never really understood how Chaos marines that are literally chosen as the best servants of the dark gods are just so loving weaksauce like give them magic powers or some poo poo gently caress

Reborn in the warp so hey it's a living.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

Chaos always costs more than SM while not actually being better because reasons. This is balanced.
Chosen should take over CSMs as the new troops the way Bigmarines are taking over, the old CSM tactical sculpts are old enough to buy cigarettes.

Make Chosen the base troops and make their loadout variability be their advantage over bigmarines. They're not in a regimented chapter anymore so they're free to do chaotic loadouts, unlike the loyalists who follow the codex.

And then we wouldn't have the issue where plague marines and rubrics are for some reason much larger than other chaos marines...
Then introduce new noise marines and berserkers at the larger scale and call it a day.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 31, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Going to bring this next week I think. Konor league will be 1000 points, with you needing elites. Lt and the flamer + plas squad will be in the razorback.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [55 PL, 1000pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Iron Hands

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 98pts]: Master-crafted boltgun, Relic blade, The Armour Indomitus

Lieutenants [4 PL, 74pts]
. . Lieutenant: Power fist, Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [6 PL, 65pts]
. . Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Chainsword
. . 3x Scout w/Boltgun
. . Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 89pts]
. . 3x Space Marine
. . Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-flamer
. . Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 101pts]
. . 3x Space Marine
. . Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-plasma
. . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Plasma cannon

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 165pts]: Combi-bolter, Dreadnought combat weapon, Kheres pattern assault cannon

Vanguard Veteran Squad [8 PL, 146pts]: Jump Pack, Melta bombs
. . Space Marine Veteran: 2x Chainsword
. . Space Marine Veteran: 2x Lightning Claw
. . Space Marine Veteran: Bolt pistol, Power sword
. . Space Marine Veteran: Power axe, Storm shield
. . Veteran Sergeant: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

+ Heavy Support +

Predator [9 PL, 160pts]: Twin lascannon, Two Heavy Bolters

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 102pts]: Storm bolter, Twin assault cannon

Created with BattleScribe

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I guess if you're using the canticle and their targets are taking the toughness debuff, those Kastelan shots could be hitting at S8?

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom

Autism Sneaks posted:

I guess if you're using the canticle and their targets are taking the toughness debuff, those Kastelan shots could be hitting at S8?

No i remembered it wrong its definitely s6. The article buff only effects the str of the unit and not it's weapon. Still hilarious to see six models wipe out a very large chunk of MEQs and ignore the cover saves.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

No i remembered it wrong its definitely s6. The article buff only effects the str of the unit and not it's weapon. Still hilarious to see six models wipe out a very large chunk of MEQs and ignore the cover saves.

That definitely happened to me. When I was fighting tau, once I killed the markerlights I was hot poo poo sitting in cover with marines. Vs kastellans they didn't give a gently caress.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

I've never encountered anyone, even the most rigid lore assholes or WYSIWYG enthusiasts, who would give two shits about what color your marines are.

The guys who were running my club a couple of years ago refused point blank to let a guy use his Imperial Fists 'Deathwing' at an upcoming tournament because it was painted wrong. Partly they thought Deathwing was OP because they ran a previous tournament and a guy won with them, because they'd banned all the counters to Deathwing so it rose to the top of the pile.

Also there was the tournament where they insisted all special characters had to use the official model, and also the official model couldn't be used as a generic version. Using Eldrad as your Farseer? Sorry bub, change him or lose him (this actually happened).

They were not very good TOs.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Corrode posted:

The guys who were running my club a couple of years ago refused point blank to let a guy use his Imperial Fists 'Deathwing' at an upcoming tournament because it was painted wrong. Partly they thought Deathwing was OP because they ran a previous tournament and a guy won with them, because they'd banned all the counters to Deathwing so it rose to the top of the pile.

Also there was the tournament where they insisted all special characters had to use the official model, and also the official model couldn't be used as a generic version. Using Eldrad as your Farseer? Sorry bub, change him or lose him (this actually happened).

That's ridiculous. I'm lucky if my opponent has painted their stuff at all; I'd never get mad at a ham for different colours or models. :psyduck:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pendent posted:

I picked up a Reiver kit today. The models are great looking, but you have far fewer options for posing compared to small marines. I am just a bit disappointed, to be entirely honest.

E: Ok, what the gently caress. Look at the PDF they've uploaded along with the Repulsor etc:

I can think of literally no reason for them doing this except as a punch in the dick. Blood Angels and Space Wolf Intercessors are objectively worse at close combat that vanilla marines. You know, two of the most close combat focused chapters out there.

I can see it for the Wolves, if solely because they're going to get Power Axes back in their own Codex, but it makes dick-all sense for the Angels.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Corrode posted:

Is this what it means to be a racist ham?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Irate Tree posted:

Is this what it means to be a racist ham?

Ask StrikingScorpion82

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Yeast posted:

Ask StrikingScorpion82

I thought a couple of his battle reports were good. Is he super racist in real life or something?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

A friend of mine had a White Dwarf magazine from the early 1980s, from before they had Warhammer 40,000 even. It was pretty surreal reading about D&D campaigns and some weird science fiction role playing game and basically not even a word of wargaming other than miniatures for roleplaying games and then campaigns and character classes.

Basically more like Dungeon or Dragon magazine.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

chutche2 posted:

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 89pts]
. . 3x Space Marine
. . Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-flamer
. . Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 101pts]
. . 3x Space Marine
. . Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-plasma
. . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Plasma cannon

I could be wrong, but I think Codex Tac squads need to have 10 guys to take heavy/specials now.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Kore_Fero posted:

I could be wrong, but I think Codex Tac squads need to have 10 guys to take heavy/specials now.

Nope, codex says 1 special or heavy weapon if you have 9 or less marines or 1 special and 1 heavy if you are at 10.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
These scions models are really nice sculpts now I have my hands on them and assembled, can't wait to start painting them.

What's the best way to go WYSIWYG on these monopose sculpts with a lot of codex options? The tempestor prime can take the full suite of power weapons but his melee arm is hidden under his cloak and can only fit the tiny dagger. No idea how I'm going to fit a power maul and have it look okay.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Endman posted:

That's ridiculous. I'm lucky if my opponent has painted their stuff at all; I'd never get mad at a ham for different colours or models. :psyduck:

Yeah it was completely daft. There was one guy who kinda lost his mind at the way 5th ed tournaments shaped up and he was the driving force behind a lot of it and got away with it for so long because most of the rest of the committee had a similar mindset. Later on they realised how much bad blood it was causing to have this guy going off on massive rants online and chasing people out of their events and so on and he was gently edged out.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Endman posted:

I thought a couple of his battle reports were good. Is he super racist in real life or something?

Apparently in the lead up to Brexit he went super hardcore for exit and released on his youtube channel some nutjob video (which I think he's subsequently deleted) full of the most bullshit of UKIP's pre-referendum claims.

So. I don't know about the racist thing, but confirmed for being an idiot.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Everything I've ever heard about tournaments and the people that participate in them makes me really want to stay the gently caress away from them

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The shoulderpad color scheme looks Nazi as gently caress, especially with black armor, is it intentional?

quote:

I'm loving BT neophytes having Bretonnian heads, it totally changes the profile into feudal space-knights.

Agreed.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

The shoulderpad color scheme looks Nazi as gently caress, especially with black armor, is it intentional?

Agreed.

I mean, most space marines are pretty literal space nazis. But that is the official close support color scheme for Black Templars. That's not actually an iron cross.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

Everything I've ever heard about tournaments and the people that participate in them makes me really want to stay the gently caress away from them

They're generally fun and the majority of people are pretty chill. I've played a lot of the top players in the UK (as were in 2011/12 anyway) and they were good dudes who just happened to be really good at 40k. Often the lists they took weren't particularly optimal and there were way more guys who placed highly using something funky they thought would be counter-meta or interesting to play than there were mindless robots using netlists.

Honestly the only bad experiences I can remember at tournaments were:

1) A guy using the brand-new extremely bent 5th ed Grey Knight book who whined incessantly about my Guard army. I tabled him, so maybe he was right.
2) An Eldar player who kept getting finicky over rules and I kept having to get a judge over to tell him he was wrong. Included my favourite moment where we forgot Morale after my shooting, he rolled the test and failed, then said "oh, well it was meant to be last phase so I'm not gonna fall back, you forgot." I beat him too.
3) A guy who was a hardcore "GAMING SHOULD BE FUN" type who spent a whole day yelling at the top of his voice and was too much of a social retard to understand that people saying "it's nice that you're having fun but I literally can't hear my opponent speak" did not make them boring gaming robots but, in fact, normal people who respected others.

Oh and the one guy I played whose lovely BA list was beating the hell out of me because of my horrible dice. Someone I'd played before told him "Oh, you're in for a tough game, Corrode's a really good player" and then absolutely nothing was going my way and dude did not have the social grace to quite conceal how great he thought he was for being ahead. Then on turn 3 I tank shocked Mephiston to death and turned it around and it was extremely funny.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Need to find my actual camera rather than phone as these guys just don't want to not be blurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pierzak posted:

There's an ongoing debate whether their god Khaine is an aspect of Khorne or a separate and independent deity. This debate's been going on for thousands of years and its casualties number in the trillions.

Khorne is the corruption of Khaine, mon-keigh