Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

Really! I had no idea, I guess I didn't watch streams very often even back then. Thanks for correcting it though- it's only really fun if it's true.

Ah, but that scoundrel MilesK beat me to m'lady's defense!
:argh:

Tokamak posted:

You missed the real scoop:
End of SQ42 you get tossed an official SQ42 pilot helmet, so we should have some special graphics for that.

He spoils the ending, and it's a unique helmet toss animation :gary:
I knew I shoulda blurred that part. You just ruined the game for everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

pubic void nullo posted:

send help, my beta test is infected (Gunpoint guy's new game)

Heat Signature is into beta?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Please, please stop using such uncivil words. Please ignore the community manager contradicting what Chris has said or anything that would actually justify those words.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

Ah, but that scoundrel MilesK beat me to m'lady's defense!
:argh:

I knew I shoulda blurred that part. You just ruined the game for everyone!

Crobits was going to refactor the script anyway.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Viscous Soda posted:

Heat Signature is into beta?
It is mostly feature complete and in beta. There's supposed to be a second, larger round of beta testing as well. Also, according to the blog, Tom is apparently now working on the game from Valve HQ (!)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Bootcha posted:

Ben will die because of Chris Roberts, Star Citizen, LA, and the poor choices he's made as an unhealthy person.\

i thought LA had a lot of healthy food options

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
yogurt tacos

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and holy poo poo the reddit faithful are consuming each other

someone toss them into some sort of marbled arena and put a purple toga on me, feed me grapes and cool my fatness down with palm fronds

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
I like blue cheese in my nothing

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
a nothing taco

would be good for ben (and me too)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Quavers posted:

Where's the downvote button?! :argh:
The button is a stretch goal.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

in the youtube preview pic... i thought the dude on the left was sandi

lol

is that supposed to be vic

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Percelus posted:

i thought LA had a lot of healthy food options

They're not options if you can't choose to ignore them. Ben is just doing his civic duty as a good consumer. :colbert:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol if the download size for the 3.0 patch is something like 200gb

I would lol myself into an early fuckin grave

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the music in that trailer is not metal, satanic or very good

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Bootcha posted:

Ben will die because of Chris Roberts, Star Citizen, LA, and the poor choices he's made as an unhealthy person.\

Whale Cat Taxxe

by the year 2020 there will be a star citizen doc on netflix and it will probably be made by you

i like tat kitty

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Maldoror posted:

in the youtube preview pic... i thought the dude on the left was sandi

lol

is that supposed to be vic

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Tokamak posted:

Please, please stop using such uncivil words. Please ignore the community manager contradicting what Chris has said or anything that would actually justify those words.

Star Citizen > Unfortunately it seems they are LIED

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Thoatse posted:

Star Citizen > Unfortunately it seems they are LIED

FTFY, please keep it civil.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

An update on the leaderboard stats for the previous week... Overall average player counts have remained fairly steady:

Star Marine: 24.4
Arena Commander: 25.8
Racing: 3.4

A total of 84,315 distinct users have played one or more of these game modes in the current season, i.e. since the 2.6.3 patch somewhere around April 1.

73,292 users have played a total of 349849 matches of Star Marine. 85% of these users have played between 1 and 5 matches. 34398 of those (47% of the total) were one and done. The highest total time logged by a single player is 343.4 hours.

32,257 users have played a total of 308576 games of Arena Commander. 73% of these users have played between 1 and 5 matches. 12262 of those (38% of the total) were one and done. The highest total time logged by a single player is 261.7 hours.

15,715 users have played a total of 203345 races. 61% of these users have played between 1 and 5 races. 5078 of those (32% of the total) were one and done. The highest total time logged by a single player is 87.5 hours.

The highest individual playtime in all modes combined is 350.2 hours.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Quavers posted:

Where's the downvote button?! :argh:

It's the bottom one in the pic. It wishes it were in hell.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

G0RF posted:

Though I'm hardly a Sandi fan and contributed much to the documented record of her antics and quotes -- donutgate, "the backers will never know", blah blah -- this particular Money claim has hardened into historic factoid through repetition here yet it isn't actually true.

I'm foggy on the "the backers will never know", could you remind me?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That one was flying first class IIRC.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

boviscopophobic posted:

An update on the leaderboard stats for the previous week... Overall average player counts have remained fairly steady:

A total of 84,315 distinct users have played one or more of these game modes in the current season, i.e. since the 2.6.3 patch somewhere around April 1.

73,292 users have played a total of 349849 matches of Star Marine. 85% of these users have played between 1 and 5 matches. 34398 of those (47% of the total) were one and done. The highest total time logged by a single player is 343.4 hours.

32,257 users have played a total of 308576 games of Arena Commander. 73% of these users have played between 1 and 5 matches. 12262 of those (38% of the total) were one and done. The highest total time logged by a single player is 261.7 hours.

15,715 users have played a total of 203345 races. 61% of these users have played between 1 and 5 races. 5078 of those (32% of the total) were one and done. The highest total time logged by a single player is 87.5 hours.

So most players come in, visit the freak show, and leave again? Seems plausible. And of course on the other hand we have people who play too much for their own good. But what the hell are they doing for so long? Considering what Arena Commander and Star Marine have to offer, this is like sitting in front of your aquarium for weeks, just watching fish swim back and forth. Just less soothing, because of all the bugs and glitches.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

tooterfish posted:

That one was flying first class IIRC.
Yeah, Sandi said in an interview that she "didn't want to fly in business class" but that Chris told her "the backers will never know"

Yeah she said that and it was put online and backers didn't give a poo poo so lol why even bother covering it up in anyway?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

boviscopophobic posted:

thats honestly a whole lot more than I expected

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The correct way to read the reddit poo poo is to click on the profiles of some of the most toxic, hateful, depraved goons like:

https://www.reddit.com/user/CatsAreFuzzy

or

https://www.reddit.com/user/SpacePanteloons

And just get to the funny stuff.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 31, 2017

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tippis posted:

delta-patching.

Initially it's hard to believe they could be so incompetent. So let's assume not, let's assume it is in fact a lie. Not necessarily from the beginning, but a useful lie as time went on and development became a quagmire and very vocal people on the internet wanted to know more.

Claiming it's a "delta-patcher" issue and restricting access would be an understandable ploy to slow down criticism and play for time. Because playing for time is the main thing these guys are doing. But at some point you have to recognise that "delta-patching" and basic network code should have been dealt with years ago, and the fact they appear not to be is more suspicious to me than mere incompetence.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Not having delta patching means patches are huge and therefore clearly must have more content. Imagine 3.0 being a 50kb patch?

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 31, 2017

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Wise Learned Man posted:

Clearly the "Open" part of "Open Development" stands for "Open to Interpretation."

Star Citizen: The Most Open to Interpretation Development Ever!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Kosumo posted:

I'm foggy on the "the backers will never know", could you remind me?
The butchered quote comes from a podcast interview from 3 years ago, a fan show called Sunny's Diner, I think about half an hour in. A simpler time prior to the disclosure that Sandi and Chris were actually married. They'd raised maybe around $70 million at that point?

At some point she's recounting a conversation with Chris where she was planning travel arrangements for Gamescom, I think -- 5 seats in coach for her and her staff, one in business class for Chris. She explains that Chris was trying to get her to upgrade her own seat to join him, a temptation she claims to have demurred due to the potentially bad optics for fans.

She then said that Chris said, "Well the fans don't even know, right? You've got to be comfortable."

I think I originally transcribed it as "the backers will never know" in the old thread. Because it conveyed so much so succinctly, it got meme-ified instantly and remains shorthand for Chris or Sandi rationalizing self-indulgent spending of backer funds.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
They are consistently marketing oriented in everything they do. And they are still getting money with each of their concept sale. For putting in the lowest effort possible. They hide behind the pre-alpha label for years and their dumbest of backers seem ok with it.

There is no reason for them to rush to any completed game, module or patcher or whatever, so long as concept jpegs and promo animation videos rake in money.

Their only proven true incentives for them to work on something, have been making their weekly tv show and one or two fake demos per year for coms and cons -- mainly the gamescom when the rest of the world pays more attention too.

The point is, even if development has started gearing up this year (arguably they are working on something significant, albeit it will probably end up lovely performing and disappointing), they will hold off working or releasing anything substantial that they can use at a more strategically appropriate time later on to keep backer slumber at acceptable levels.

They are not releasing a patcher, network fixes and a SQ42 prelude along with a 3.x as one big surprise to the backers.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Wix98JQFg&t=128s

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Can someone please define "starring" for me?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Starring = Listing someone who's ability to act is on a much different level than everyone else in the production of a movie/series. Like a vast gulf of difference in skill.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Starring = Listing someone who's ability to act is on a much different level than everyone else in the production of a movie/series. Like a vast gulf of difference in skill.
Sounds about right.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
I mean it's a thread joke and people are very harsh and bordelrine creepy towars her at times, but holy hell i have to seriously put in effort to recall a person acting more unnaturally in front of a camera than Sandi. It's loving uncanny, as soon as the camera is on her she completely locks up.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Also please define full time because lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Those things are made by G0RF you idiots