Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Memento posted:

The forecast for Thursday calls for 109° and 27% humidity. Comparably, it's going to be 106° and 32% humidity in Phoeniz, AZ on Tuesday.

Phoenix has already passed the searingly hot part of the year when it was 115-120+. Most of us are happy that it's cooled down to 105 on average.

Is AC still mostly a rarity up there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

duffmensch posted:

Phoenix has already passed the searingly hot part of the year when it was 115-120+. Most of us are happy that it's cooled down to 105 on average.

Same here in The Coachella Valley. It has been weirdly humid though, in the 30-35% range! Gross!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

El Jebus posted:

Same here in The Coachella Valley. It has been weirdly humid though, in the 30-35% range! Gross!

That's par for the course where I am in Florida. :v:

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
current time: 10:53pm
current temp: 82f/28c
humidity: 92%

the schaden is that for some reason i like living in florida

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Had a day last week that was 99F and somewhere around 68% humidity. Topped out at a "feels like" of 122. In southern Indiana.

I don't have AC in my work truck.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

We Know Catheters posted:

You can't pedal a skateboard but you can push yourself.

I don't know why you people are trying to make hippy jumps more complicated than they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDAEq1tgloU

"Pedaling" in the context of skateboarding means to push with your foot :ssh: Maybe completely ubiquitous, but its not incorrect.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/n7mxPo2.gifv

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

duffmensch posted:

I don't know much about DC, but you'd be amazed how even loving Minnesota can't survive our sub-100 degree highs without AC. That or my friend group are all just delicate, finely-sculpted ice swans incapable of tolerating temperatures above 68 degrees.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
OH BOY IS IT TIME FOR EVERYONE TO CHIME IN ABOUT WHAT THE WEATHER IS LIKE WHERE THEY ARE BECAUSE LEMME TELL YA

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

duffmensch posted:

It's getting more common but yeah lots of places don't have it. Like the store I work at...

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Today it was hot

-Texas

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Today it was hot

-South Texas

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

funmanguy posted:

Today it was hot

-Texas

Its been hot-as-gently caress for a long time.

I think last year was worse but its still 106-110 most days and that's too drat hot. I leave the house in short bursts and I still melt.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Today it was hot

-North Texas

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

There is no reason for a house to have electricity but not an air conditioner.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Today it was hot, but probably not as hot as Texas

-Southeast Wisconsin

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

my air conditioner broke, in texas.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Today it was Texas

-Hell

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I have an AC and in Texas you're legally required to provide tenants with a good working AC.

But it still has to fight its damnedest just to keep up. And sometimes the power company remotely deactivates your AC to save power on the grid. Luckily that hasn't happened much this year.

Chichevache posted:

Today it was Texas

-Hell

If you're watching Preacher then this is pretty accurate

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 06:26 on Jul 31, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Is the AC on a different circuit to the rest of your house? I can't imagine they're allowed to remotely deactivate your refrigerator, for example.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Today it was Texas

-Hell

Your guide to Texas

:nws:52tbtiaQgw0:nws:

For some buttocks.

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 06:22 on Jul 31, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Memento posted:

Is the AC on a different circuit to the rest of your house? I can't imagine they're allowed to remotely deactivate your refrigerator, for example.

The thermostats are hooked up to some system, yeah. I dunno how it works I just rent the place, but its pretty loving rotten. I don't think its the power per se, I mean the thermostat stays ON obviously but it has some override signal and displays an image.

I don't know if its radio controlled or hooked up to a phone line or what, but however it is, it works and it sucks dick.

Actually I'm not sure if my new apartment even has that system, but my old one definitely did and it was The Worst.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The electric company here has zero problems kicking you in the balls, every summer their rates jump up hilarious amounts because the locals have no real choice in the matter and if you have any problems with their service they will happily just cut off your power. I switched over to solar a while back and now have AC in most rooms in my house, can run it all day and still generate well over 100% more than I use.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Don't bring a baby to an airport first fight. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPhzCjrDAhI

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

This just in: the player leading the Australian Football League MVP medal count has just been suspended which means he's ineligible to win it. There was a ton of money being bet on him going back to back with the MVP medals and so there's bound to be a lot of pissed off people about this.

EDIT: The other favourite is one minor offense away from also being ineligible.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I have an AC and in Texas you're legally required to provide tenants with a good working AC.

But it still has to fight its damnedest just to keep up. And sometimes the power company remotely deactivates your AC to save power on the grid. Luckily that hasn't happened much this year.

If you're watching Preacher then this is pretty accurate

Some utilities have a program where property owners can get new thermostats or devices hooked to their AC units. Then on peak days it will shut down the AC briefly to reduce peak load. How often varies by utility but usually no more than turning it off then on once every 15 minutes. These programs are generally limited to weekdays during the day and usually only happen during peak use hours. So basically it just means your AC is off a few minutes each day. All of these programs are opt-in, and often have a discount or credit associated with them. If you're renting, the apartment complex or homeowner may be getting the credit.

Basically the idea behind the program is when you start getting to the point where you are getting near brownouts, you start shutting down a bunch of power hungry devices to take the load off the power grid for a moment. This prevents the brownouts from happening. And if the brownouts happen then your AC will be off for more than a few minutes each day.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

How is it 2017 and the cultural knowledge of how to drink from a bottle isn't universal? (Put your upper lip BELOW the upper rim of the spout, that way air can get in. And don't tip the bottle so far back that you're going to get splashed in the face.)

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Zaphod42 posted:

"Pedaling" in the context of skateboarding means to push with your foot :ssh: Maybe completely ubiquitous, but its not incorrect.

No one has ever said that in context to skateboarding. 😉

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

No one has ever said that in context to skateboarding. 😉

Okie dokie

https://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboarding-resources-q-a/242507-what-right-way-pedal-longboard.html

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090719121350AAlBPmH

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-2492660-stock-footage-man-pedaling-his-skateboard-skateboard-slow-motion.html

http://theridechannel.com/features/2015/10/5-pro-skateboarders-who-pushed-mongo/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.wafb.com/story/35997938/abusive-husband-dies-from-injuries-after-being-run-over-while-wife-was-trying-to-get-away-in-stolen-truck

Wifebeater gets run over by truck

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
He's dead now. No loss.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

The woman will likely not be charged.

That's the good stuff.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

I don't think random people on the Internet define terminology. No one, who actually skateboards, says they pedal.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Besesoth posted:

How is it 2017 and the cultural knowledge of how to drink from a bottle isn't universal? (Put your upper lip BELOW the upper rim of the spout, that way air can get in. And don't tip the bottle so far back that you're going to get splashed in the face.)

It's champagne. Quick movement of the bottle will make it foam, along with drinking from the bottle. Drinking champagne in a moving car is a bad idea.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

hello fellow skaters in text form

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's 30.9999999999... degrees here in Tokyo which is the same as 31 degrees. Something something fans on a treadmill so the planes stay cool as they take off, and on that plane is an autistic man who kicked a kid after he was served an open-faced hotdog pizza pie.

Can't post pics because I don't have any gifs ("jiffs") of it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Weatherman posted:

It's 30.9999999999... degrees here in Tokyo which is the same as 31 degrees. Something something fans on a treadmill so the planes stay cool as they take off, and on that plane is an autistic man who kicked a kid after he was served an open-faced hotdog pizza pie.

Can't post pics because I don't have any gifs ("jiffs") of it.

Read this post while making GBS threads, now it's time to stand up and wipe

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't get the infinite .9's one? How is .99999999... = 1? It's a different number.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Read this post while making GBS threads, now it's time to stand up and wipe

But do you fold or scrunch the tp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I don't think random people on the Internet define terminology. No one, who actually skateboards, says they pedal.

I skated for over a decade and this is the first time I've seen or heard someone use it.