Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Eela6 posted:

Destiny?

Destiny is fps diablo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tagra posted:

Are there any first person Diablo clones out there, which is to say slaughtering hordes of enemies in the hopes of forcing randomized loot to drop so that you can hit the RNG jackpot?

Borderlands fits pretty well, and then maybe Vermintide (which seemed like more of a LFD clone with random loot elements than a diablo clone). Is there anything else worth looking into?

Shadow Warrior 2

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ofecks posted:

I would like a game to put on my new android phone. It's my first smartphone so I've never done mobile gaming.

I think I'd enjoy a strategy RPG the most, and I saw FFT (one of my favorite games of all time) has a port, but lots of reviews on the play store says it crashes a lot and you can't save/quit during battles. I'm also wary of it since it's based on the PSP version which was unplayable without a fanpatch to remove the slowdown.

Anything else like it? Japanese or western - either is fine, but I'd prefer fantasy or military (I loved the Advance Wars games on GBA), and paid rather than f2p. I'm willing to consider alternatives if they're highly regarded.

Fire Emblem Heroes. Although I haven't played the mobile version it looks like the core gameplay is similar to the main games but with the typical f2p/mobile shenanigans.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ulio posted:

Fire Emblem Heroes. Although I haven't played the mobile version it looks like the core gameplay is similar to the main games but with the typical f2p/mobile shenanigans.

That game is incredibly hollow, oversimplified, boring, and deeply steeped in the gatcha bullshit. I would pass on that one.

Try Chroma Squad and Knights of Pen and Paper .

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
I'm looking for games that would trigger my fear of giant sea creatures underwater. Examples include:

Endless Ocean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyx-NlfQvfs

Resident Evil 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQUdg0eztx0

and of course, subnautica (I don't have too many examples)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I need cool PC games that I can play while my girlfriend watches and enjoys them. I think I posted in this thread before but whatevs I need more recommendations.

The 'trick' is that these need to work with a Steam controller so we can play on a big TV.

General hint is to stay away from 'obvious' answers because I've already considered them.

Games that worked well:
Prey (2017) - (she loved it)
Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines (currently playing, she also loves it and laughs at the gothy-ness of it)
Firewatch
Her Story - I have a couch keyboard
SOMA
What Remains of Edith Finch
Dyscourse
Tales from the Borderlands
Life is Strange
Herald
Journey

Games that worked OK:
Deus Ex MD - was actually really kinda boring?
Horizon Zero Dawn - yeah I have a PS4 too but anyway it's cool but all the exploration could be a little dull to watch
Pyre - too much reading to be a 2-player couch experience
Dishonored 2 - seemed a good bet after Prey, but was a bit too slow, the way I play anyway

Basically, stuff that has a good story combined with somewhat entertaining gameplay. Not necessarily limited to walking-sims or 'immersive sims' or telltale games but that's what's kinda worked so far.

edit to say: she's also played Skyrim and Dragon Age to death herself, any by her own admission the new Fallouts are not a good option.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bewilderment posted:

I need cool PC games that I can play while my girlfriend watches and enjoys them. I think I posted in this thread before but whatevs I need more recommendations.
Would puzzle games like Talos Principle or The Witness work?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Guavatin posted:

I'm looking for games that would trigger my fear of giant sea creatures underwater. Examples include:

Endless Ocean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyx-NlfQvfs

Resident Evil 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQUdg0eztx0

and of course, subnautica (I don't have too many examples)

Maybe Abzu?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Guavatin posted:

Soma.

bewilderment posted:

Don't really know what works with the steam controller, but Nier: Automata and Metal Gear: Revengeance. Very actiony games with plenty of talky bits, though with different styles.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Witness is hilariously boring to watch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Brainamp posted:

The Witness is hilariously boring to watch.

Puzzle solving can be a group activity.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

bewilderment posted:

a good story combined with somewhat entertaining gameplay
My Summer Car

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Brainamp posted:

Don't really know what works with the steam controller, but Nier: Automata and Metal Gear: Revengeance. Very actiony games with plenty of talky bits, though with different styles.

We tried Nier Automata, and while I enjoyed it myself, she derisively called it the Robutt Game.

MGR I showed her the "memes are the DNA of the soul" clip and she was very confused as it turns out she didn't know memes were a non-internet thing that had an actual meaning and she thought someone edited the clip.
Anyway I played MGR and it was great but unfortunately it's a no in this scenario. Spectacle fighters are probably the wrong direction.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Witness was a hard no. Talos Principle I think would be a no from both me and her since I honestly suck at most puzzle games - or at least, I feel like I do. Portal is pretty much my limit.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

bewilderment posted:

The 'trick' is that these need to work with a Steam controller so we can play on a big TV.

General hint is to stay away from 'obvious' answers because I've already considered them.

Games that worked well:
Prey (2017) - (she loved it)
Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines (currently playing, she also loves it and laughs at the gothy-ness of it)
Firewatch
Her Story - I have a couch keyboard
SOMA
What Remains of Edith Finch
Dyscourse
Tales from the Borderlands
Life is Strange
Herald
Journey

Games that worked OK:
Deus Ex MD - was actually really kinda boring?
Horizon Zero Dawn - yeah I have a PS4 too but anyway it's cool but all the exploration could be a little dull to watch
Pyre - too much reading to be a 2-player couch experience
Dishonored 2 - seemed a good bet after Prey, but was a bit too slow, the way I play anyway

Basically, stuff that has a good story combined with somewhat entertaining gameplay. Not necessarily limited to walking-sims or 'immersive sims' or telltale games but that's what's kinda worked so far.

edit to say: she's also played Skyrim and Dragon Age to death herself, any by her own admission the new Fallouts are not a good option.

Alien isolation
Batman Arkham Asylum/City
Sleeping Dogs
GTA 5
Mad Max
Alan Wake
Far cry series (my GF likes watching me spear hunt wooly rhinos in Primal)
Witcher 3

also I heard the couch coop in Divinity Original sin is fun.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oh hey, I can use this thread instead of the steam one.

I'm looking for simple, good-looking, not too talky Tower Defense games for my mom. If they support Russian, all the better, but that's not a deal breaker.

Thus far, she got really into Plants vs Zombies, Kingdom Rush and KR: Frontiers.

And she hated: PvZ 2, Defender's Quest (fair enough, I hated every word out of the character's mouths in that one as well), Dungeon Warfare (watching someone who isn't familiar with the word "graphics" struggle to articulate her problem with that game was amusing) and Defend your Life / Royal Defense / Fort defense (so various cheap-looking ripoffs of the titles she liked are probably not the way to go)

She doesn't really game on her tablet, so PC-only.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Alien isolation
Batman Arkham Asylum/City
Sleeping Dogs
GTA 5
Mad Max
Alan Wake
Far cry series (my GF likes watching me spear hunt wooly rhinos in Primal)
Witcher 3

also I heard the couch coop in Divinity Original sin is fun.

Huh, I should have mentioned some of these. Witcher 3 we had some fun with, and she really enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and is mad I played through it myself and not with her, so I picked up Mad Max since it was on sale for $5.
Alan Wake was a good recommendation, we watched an LP.
Far Cry 4 is sometimes cool and sometimes boring.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xander77 posted:

I'm looking for simple, good-looking, not too talky Tower Defense games for my mom. If they support Russian, all the better, but that's not a deal breaker.

Thus far, she got really into Plants vs Zombies, Kingdom Rush and KR: Frontiers.

And she hated: PvZ 2, Defender's Quest (fair enough, I hated every word out of the character's mouths in that one as well), Dungeon Warfare (watching someone who isn't familiar with the word "graphics" struggle to articulate her problem with that game was amusing) and Defend your Life / Royal Defense / Fort defense (so various cheap-looking ripoffs of the titles she liked are probably not the way to go)

Have you tried Orcs Must Die? Or would moving and looking be too difficuilt?

If so, you didn't list http://store.steampowered.com/app/18500/Defense_Grid_The_Awakening/ Defense Grid, which is one of my favorites.

Spacerun http://store.steampowered.com/app/275670/Space_Run/ Is a subversion of the TD trope, where you fly your towers through the enemies instead of the other way around.

There are a LOT of TD games, so a little more about what she disliked about PvZ 2 could help, or what she DID like about Kingdom Rush.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Xander77 posted:

PixelJunk Monsters: http://store.steampowered.com/app/243780/PixelJunk_Monsters_Ultimate/ would be my pick. Not a fan of Bloons TD (http://store.steampowered.com/app/306020/Bloons_TD_5/) but that's fairly popular.

There's a third Kingdom Rush game (Origins?) but it's not on Steam yet.

Might be worth checking sites like Kongregate as well. That's got an absurd number of free tower defence games of varying quality

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 31, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jive One posted:

Just finished Fallout 4 with the Brotherhood of Steel and am now looking for a new RPG or jRPG to play. Something big with lots of adventure and exploration but maybe a bit more...pastoral/fantasy-based? I'm kind of burnt out on excessive violence with all the human experimentation, torture and whatnot that Fallout 4 had.

I'm able to play anything on older consoles up to and including PSX or games from any era on PC up to the present; pretty broad so feel free to recommend some of your favorites.

Dragon's Dogma, I'm not normally into JRPGs at all but I was pleasantly surprised by that one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Turtlicious posted:

Have you tried Orcs Must Die? Or would moving and looking be too difficuilt?
Absolutely too difficult. One of my other side projects is finding a real beginners FPS to explain basic movement and aiming. There's a bit of a "you need work experience to get a job problem", insofar as every single FPS assumes you've played shooters before.

quote:

There are a LOT of TD games, so a little more about what she disliked about PvZ 2 could help, or what she DID like about Kingdom Rush.
She's really bad at articulating her gaming experience, but being easy enough to master (at least on the easiest level) without looking too childish is an important aspect. Oh, and an actual enemy rather than a series of time management tasks, because those are "for kids".

Bloons is exactly the sort of thing she will reject immideately with "omg, what is this kiddie stuff", but I'll check out PixelJunk Monsters, thanks.

Anything in particular you'd recommend on Kongregate? She apparently doesn't have a lot of tolerance for jank.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 31, 2017

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

bewilderment posted:

Huh, I should have mentioned some of these. Witcher 3 we had some fun with, and she really enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and is mad I played through it myself and not with her, so I picked up Mad Max since it was on sale for $5.

Try Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ofecks posted:

I would like a game to put on my new android phone. It's my first smartphone so I've never done mobile gaming.

I think I'd enjoy a strategy RPG the most, and I saw FFT (one of my favorite games of all time) has a port, but lots of reviews on the play store says it crashes a lot and you can't save/quit during battles. I'm also wary of it since it's based on the PSP version which was unplayable without a fanpatch to remove the slowdown.

Anything else like it? Japanese or western - either is fine, but I'd prefer fantasy or military (I loved the Advance Wars games on GBA), and paid rather than f2p. I'm willing to consider alternatives if they're highly regarded.

Skulls of the Shogun is great, starts off seeming overly simple but gets pretty tough and complex

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xander77 posted:

I'm looking for simple, good-looking, not too talky Tower Defense games for my mom.

Anything in particular you'd recommend on Kongregate? She apparently doesn't have a lot of tolerance for jank.

I will probably continue to recommend Creeper World to anyone looking for TD games until everyone is sick and tired of hearing it

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Really Pants posted:

I will probably continue to recommend Creeper World to anyone looking for TD games until everyone is sick and tired of hearing it

It's really good. Took me half the game before I realized I could move stuff around after planting them. Mind blown.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

bewilderment posted:

rear end Creed 2? Do only story and the tombs/infiltration missions.

Edit: And maybe Shadow of Mordor? Goofy story lots of mayhem. Also not 100% run.

InAndOutBrennan fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 31, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bewilderment posted:

Night in the Woods, maybe?

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I've never really had any lasting fun with mobile games but I'm having a blast playing hearthstone in my lunch hour.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Xander77 posted:

One of my other side projects is finding a real beginners FPS to explain basic movement and aiming. There's a bit of a "you need work experience to get a job problem", insofar as every single FPS assumes you've played shooters before.

If you use the Zdoom engine port for the Doom games you can have her practice mouselook with slow dumb imps and zombies 'til the arachnotrons come home. Maybe stick with Doom 2, the first episode of the original Doom is surprisingly confusing to navigate going back to it now.

EDIT: VV seconding Portal as well.

Yak Shaves Dot Com fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 31, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Portal is a legit good first person game to teach stuff like that, really any "walking simulator" where time isn't a factor as much as puzzle solving.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

InAndOutBrennan posted:

rear end Creed 2? Do only story and the tombs/infiltration missions.

Edit: And maybe Shadow of Mordor? Goofy story lots of mayhem. Also not 100% run.

Really Pants posted:

Night in the Woods, maybe?

These are good suggestions so it is sad that I have already played them and they just slipped my mind in the original post. Definitely playing Shadow of War when it comes out.

We gave AssCreedSyndicate a shot since it was loaned to us by a friend but it can be a bit of collectible and sidemission overload without meaningful story progression.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Fieldrunners

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

bewilderment posted:

and she really enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and is mad I played through it myself and not with her

did you do GTA V too? It's pretty close and I can see it as fun to watch.

Also since you like Tales from the Borderlands, what about the other good telltales like Walking Dead, Fables or Batman?

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

bewilderment posted:

Since you've got a PS, what about the Uncharteds? Or have you done them already?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Macarius Wrench posted:

I've never really had any lasting fun with mobile games but I'm having a blast playing hearthstone in my lunch hour.

Originally it was a pc game and I imagine most people still play it there.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I've no idea on the numbers but I reckon a bunch of people will play the mobile one, it works so well with the short games etc

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm having a lot of silly fun with Dynasty Warriors 8 Ultimate Xtreme Radical Legends: Definitive Edition for Completionists. Any other games on PC or PS4 that let me kill KO millions of mooks each stage? Bonus points if it has something akin to Ambition mode instead of just story mode.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone have a good suggestion for games like Roller Coaster Tycoon, or Zoo Tycoon? I've never played these games but I was watching people fling people off coasters on youtube, or having petting zoo gorillas that flipped out and maimed people , and I really wanted to experience something like that, but a bit more modern.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

Does anyone have a good suggestion for games like Roller Coaster Tycoon, or Zoo Tycoon? I've never played these games but I was watching people fling people off coasters on youtube, or having petting zoo gorillas that flipped out and maimed people , and I really wanted to experience something like that, but a bit more modern.

You're in luck, because a spiritual successor to RCT came out very recently and it has been very well received: http://store.steampowered.com/app/493340/Planet_Coaster/

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

bewilderment posted:

These are good suggestions so it is sad that I have already played them and they just slipped my mind in the original post. Definitely playing Shadow of War when it comes out.

We gave AssCreedSyndicate a shot since it was loaned to us by a friend but it can be a bit of collectible and sidemission overload without meaningful story progression.

assassins creed black flag? i had a really fun time playing that and if you ever want to break from the standard platforming murder-em-up gameplay you can go jump in your boat and have naval battles, or even just sail around singing sea shanties

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Turtlicious posted:

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 is still modern. I can't recommend Planet Coaster because it has no real direction, it's just pure sandbox. I recommend RCT3 and downloading scenario packs from RCT1 and RCT2. The downside here is that in RCT3 you can't kill anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Golf it or Golf with your friends?