Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Festus The Fetus posted:

Hey you assholes did Euron have magic ship abilities or not? Just answer my goddamn question.

Yes. When he was drowned and born again (harder and stronger) he also gained the ability to fold ocean space and teleport his fleet to the other side of Westeros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Tiptoes posted:

Honestly Tyrion's plan wasn't so bad. It's just that his enemies knew every single detail of that plan, every conspirator involved, and had a magic teleporting fleet that could ambush them at the worst parts of their plot. It also doesn't help that they are completely ignorant of their enemies' troop movements at all times despite having an official Spymaster on the payroll.

Even if they don't want to risk Dany doing low flying attacks the vision alone should be worth it. It would be hard to sneak upon a fleet that has dragon patrols. If we want to get really nerdy they should train the dragons to drop fire bombs from high above.

It's not like her presence is desperately needed on Dragonstone either way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tiptoes posted:

It also doesn't help that they are completely ignorant of their enemies' troop movements at all times despite having an official Spymaster on the payroll.

LMAO good point. Maaaybe they'll do something with this and the setup in the previous episode and Dany will accuse Varys of intentionally misleading her? That'd be a fast turnaround for treachery though. Probably writers just didn't think about it.

The Bee posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but has Dany ever won a military victory through superior strategy? I'm remembering back from earlier seasons, but her plan seems to be as follows;

Step 1) Recruit a cult of personality made from many disparate allies.
Step 2) Smash said army into the enemy.
Step 3) Dragons.
Step 4) Profit.

The closest I can remember to an actual strategic victory was the Unsullied's infiltration stratagem, so it's really no surprise that she fell back on that old chestnut. But I can buy Euron outmaneuvering her on sea and Jamie outmaneuvering her on land when they're clearly far more experienced and practiced as a cohesive whole. Especially when Dany is far more reluctant to drop the hammer on Westeros than she was on Slaver's Bay.

Absolutely not, and the only strategy she ever had was Ser Barristan's. Dany's strategy is "I should be queen of Westeros because my dad was a Targ" and that's all there is to it. She's smart enough to deride her brother for believing people were singing tales of him returning, but she's somehow still naive enough to think she'll be queen of everything just because like, she deserves it. And nobody else deserves it for the same reasons, no way.

I used to love her but man she's driving me crazy.

Festus The Fetus posted:

Hey you assholes did Euron have magic ship abilities or not? Just answer my goddamn question.

I didn't respond because I'm the one who said it in the first place and my memory is shaky. It may be just implied or maybe I'm mis-remembering. His crew being who they are in the books though, nobody would really be able to say if he did such a thing. And he does boast of sailing faster than anybody IIRC.

Hopefully somebody else more of a book nerd can comment.

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I didn't respond because I'm the one who said it in the first place and my memory is shaky. It may be just implied or maybe I'm mis-remembering. His crew being who they are in the books though, nobody would really be able to say if he did such a thing. And he does boast of sailing faster than anybody IIRC.

Hopefully somebody else more of a book nerd can comment.

Thanks for trying and I can't find my own first quote, I won't fault you, Though I think the other guy who suggested it as a TV trick is right (wafflecopper you magnificent bastard). I still enjoy this show and while you are all right that the storyline has been simplified that's due to the showrunners. Even if you hate GRRM (GURM as I think of him) he writes good dialogue and tells a good story, stealing the world from history is actually brilliant and at least requires research.

Festus The Fetus fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 31, 2017

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Dany's wooden performance of "it's my destiny to be queen etc." being supplanted by Davos cliff notes of Jon's accomplishments despite no birthright was neat, almost spilling the beans on his rez was funny too.

Also they were being real petty and I'm glad they discussed how illogical it was to ask for fealty and trust of random strangers, at least Jon got his glass, and circumstances kind of force them to ally now. Not that it mattes, the real fun characters are to the south.

#TeamLannister #TeamEuron

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dont even fink about it posted:

I guess if you're dumb or not paying attention, sure.

Why not enlighten us to it's true meaning before we see her next time, so your clever understanding of the scene can be held up for all?

There's like 100 meanings you can get from it, but I guess you know the specific one

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
One nitpick I have is that I have is I wish they'd address Davos not knowing about dragonglass mine. I'm fine with him not knowing about it, it wasn't his area of expertise, but I could use a line.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lycus posted:

One nitpick I have is that I have is I wish they'd address Davos not knowing about dragonglass mine. I'm fine with him not knowing about it, it wasn't his area of expertise, but I could use a line.

Apparently it's of no use to anyone in "modern" Westeros.

I'm more annoyed that Dany has dragons and fire immunity but can't handle the idea of zombies, that's way too out there. Continues to be the worst character on the show in new exciting ways every week.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 31, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know as wrong as Melessandra has been about everything she'll probably die in Slaver's Bay and Vary's will become an immortal

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Apparently it's of no use to anyone in "modern" Westeros.

I'm more annoyed that Dany has dragons and fire immunity but can't handle the idea of zombies, that's way too out there. Continues to be the worst character on the show in new exciting ways every week.

Eh, they already set that up with the world building. Everyone acknowledges that the Targaryens had dragons, but the White Walkers are fables.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Disconnecticus posted:

The necessity of moving the players around on the board and having all the big battles as fast as possible makes it feel like a Cliff Notes version of something that should have taken four more seasons, being moved along wherever necessary by the power of unstoppable overacting.

Yeah. No idea why they felt the need to rush the ending. Why not milk the cash cow for a few more seasons?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yeah. No idea why they felt the need to rush the ending. Why not milk the cash cow for a few more seasons?

They're already looking for a spin-off when it really feels like there WAS material here for 30 episodes, not 14.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Nobody seen the white walkers in 1000 years but the dragon skelatons are sitting around for anyone to look at

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Takes No Damage posted:

*Pirate Ex Machina

An unrelated question to tonight's episode, but it's always bugged me: What was the deal with Shay's betrayal? The whole time she was with Tyrion she was always shown to be legit in love with him, begging him to run away and constantly being jealous of his forced marriage to Sansa. Then she just completely flips on him on the witness stand and fucks his dad? The gently caress man? Is there a bunch of left-out book plot that explains it any better?

Not having read the books or anything, I saw it as some kind of classic tragedy where a secret love spirals out of control because of all the lies they told to keep it together. I felt like they really did love each other, and Shae was devastated when Tyrion did his whole "I never loved you" routine. Of course, he only did that so she would run away from King's Landing because he thought that was the only way to keep her alive. Following the betrayal, Shae went back into survival mode and ended up with Tywin for protection and revenge. Unfortunately, this put her in a spot where Tyrion had (and wanted) to kill her when he was on his way to kill his dad. The perfect romance ended with both experiencing painful betrayal and in a situation where one of them literally had to kill the other because the web of lies that kept them together got too heavy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If Grey Worm starves to death at Casterly Rock, is Davos gonna swoop in on Missandei?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Grey Worm is showing up at the last battle of the season out of nowhere and saving the day.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Euron is the Ramsey mistake all over again. They needed a BAD BAD GUY to move the plot forward. This story isn't really supposed to be about that. Villains like Cersei or Tywin who you find yourself rooting for despite their loathsomeness are what made this show great.

The difference between good and evil for people like Cersei in this story is, "Will this help my family/tribe or hurt it?" and nothing else. That makes for compelling rivalries and approachable heroes and villains because this is how, despite how everyone denies it, people really act in real life. Pure sadistic evil makes for cartoonish villains you can see on every show on TV.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Still feels to me like someone in Dany's camp is snitching to Kings Landing.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Who has any motive to?

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 31, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Euron is the Ramsey mistake all over again. They needed a BAD BAD GUY to move the plot forward. This story isn't really supposed to be about that. Villains like Cersei or Tywin who you find yourself rooting for despite their loathsomeness are what made this show great.

I still wish he was the frightening dread pirate with ancient magic artifacts instead of the blustering rear end in a top hat. Even with his successes, he feels like a guy who should be in charge of a biker gang, not the most feared naval mind of the last 100 years.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Who has any motive too?
Viserys.

He's still sore about being locked in that dungeon for the poo poo his brother did. To add insult to injury, his oval office of a brother actually got off scott free!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Who has any motive too?

I haven't really thought about it but goddamn it's as if Cersei were sitting right in that room at Dragonstone when Dany's plans were laid.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The difference between good and evil for people like Cersei in this story is, "Will this help my family/tribe or hurt it?" and nothing else. That makes for compelling rivalries and approachable heroes and villains because this is how, despite how everyone denies it, people really act in real life. Pure sadistic evil makes for cartoonish villains you can see on every show on TV.
Eh I don't think Euron is on the same level as Ramsey. Ramsey's villainy was a long drawn out process where he got to torture/rape multiple main characters. Euron at least hasn't done that (although what he might do with Yara has me worried). And he's a lot more fun in his scenes. Him being the first one into battle was entertaining in episode 2 and his interactions with Jaime and Cersei have been pretty great.

But the showrunners were backed into a corner where the Lannister side ended last season in a really weak position. Cersei is the supervillain of the show and so the Lannister side needed to become a lot more dangerous. Combining the Lannisters and Euron Greyjoy felt like a natural way to simplify some of the show's plots into one conflict. But then Euron's threat status gets elevated a little too much and he goes from a minor villain of one of the show's fringier C-plots to a player capable of almost single-handedly decimating Dany's invasion force. That execution just hasn't felt right at all but I can see what the writers are going for.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I haven't really thought about it but goddamn it's as if Cersei were sitting right in that room at Dragonstone when Dany's plans were laid.

The only one with the means is Varys, and the only long game play I see there is positioning Jon to take over.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lycus posted:

If Grey Worm starves to death at Casterly Rock, is Davos gonna swoop in on Missandei?

Hahaha I said "She's taken, Davos!" at that part

glad you noticed it too

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Agree.

At this point the characters are all flanderized but it'll be fun to watch it burn down at least.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tooterfish posted:

Viserys.

He's still sore about being locked in that dungeon for the poo poo his brother did. To add insult to injury, his oval office of a brother actually got off scott free!

Viserys is dead :cheeky: That's Dany's brother. You mean Varys. or Tyrion? I'm not even sure...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Blazing Ownager posted:

I still wish he was the frightening dread pirate with ancient magic artifacts instead of the blustering rear end in a top hat. Even with his successes, he feels like a guy who should be in charge of a biker gang, not the most feared naval mind of the last 100 years.
I don't really have a problem with that. Like, "guy who should be in charge of a biker gang" would probably have been an apt description for many historical rulers, even the ones who were real good at warfare. It's not like they're portraying him as also being a diplomatic genius, his strengths as a ruler line up pretty well with his personality.

The only one with the means is Varys, and the only long game play I see there is positioning Jon to take over.
Varys was hiding under the bed when Jon was born.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Viserys is dead :cheeky: That's Dany's brother. You mean Varys. or Tyrion? I'm not even sure...

The dragon named after him, lol. Was a quality comment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The dragon named after him, lol. Was a quality comment.

Oh, Viserion. I didn't realize you were making a joke about a dragon lol.

They all end in -on so its easy to remember. Drogo -> Drogon. Viserys -> Viserion.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Who has any motive too?

The Faceless Man Cersei hired that's wearing Missandei's face.

That had sex with Grey Worm. You gotta do what you gotta do.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

*has complete and total air superiority*

*never knows what enemy is doing*

The dragons should be along scouting before these battles, at the least.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Bran should be able to relay strategic pointers from Aegon I.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I forgot Mark Gatiss had a role on the show. Threw me for a loop seeing Mycroft again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

Also why do people think he has no dick? he has a dick he's just castrated.

Are you kidding me with this poo poo? Why do you think he tried to stop Melisandre from taking off his pants? Cause he ain't got no dick!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Dumb loving names all look the same to me.

I meant Viserion. Because it was a joke.

Wandle Cax posted:

Also why do people think he has no dick? he has a dick he's just castrated.
Root and stem.

404notfound posted:

I forgot Mark Gatiss had a role on the show. Threw me for a loop seeing Mycroft again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzL_wyMahU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

FuriousxGeorge posted:

*has complete and total air superiority*

*never knows what enemy is doing*

The dragons should be along scouting before these battles, at the least.

I get the impression they haven't really nailed down the whole dragon-riding thing yet, and solo dragons aren't the best communicators.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Roach Warehouse posted:

I get the impression they haven't really nailed down the whole dragon-riding thing yet, and solo dragons aren't the best communicators.

Dany's comfortable enough riding Drogon that she flat-out offered to do it. For all the plot holes abounding, I'm okay with the idea that her camp can't afford to risk letting her do that, at least/especially not until they get the results of tonight's episode.

Splitting her army up into three forces is still dumb as hell. Casterly Rock was an idiotic plan from the start, and I'm not sure why they thought Olenna and Ellaria needed to be physically present to wrangle their forces.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 31, 2017

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

C2C - 2.0 posted:

It definitely feels that way. Team Cersei have been able to know who is going be where and when.

Varys doesn't appear to be as enamored with Danerys as he once was. She has been steadily ratcheting up the arrogance and entitlement, and is becoming more like her father every time we see her. When she first took Mereen she was distraught at what her dragons did to that herder, but now Tyrion is the only thing stopping her from burning all of Westeros to the ground.

Between Varys and Littlefinger, they are going to bring down every major House in Westeros.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

They all end in -on so its easy to remember. Drogo -> Drogon. Viserys -> Viserion.

Except for Rhaegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Not using the Dragons could be seen like the Battleship paradox that real world navies like the British Empire had where something is so valuable/useful you end up not using it out of paranoia you might lose it.

I really don't get the whole "Not attack King's Landing" thing though. Couldn't Team Dany just torch the Red Keep Harrenhall style with Cersei in it? That would spare the city and its not like theres anyone but Dany to fill the leadership vacuum. Pretty much every house would shrug and say "She's got dragons and no one has a better offer." Its not like anyone has any actual loyalty to the Lannister regime, they're either in it out of fear or for money. Then again this is the show where even after they'd lost the battle every Bolton soldier was willing to die for the glory of Ramsay rather than surrender/sell out a universally hated and unloved man who now had no power over them.

• Locked thread