Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Qyburn's schemes have never failed.

Is a Dragon going to take a ballista bolt in the brain? I'm not sure if we're gonna see one dragon die this season, or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Qyburn's schemes have never failed.

Is a Dragon going to take a ballista bolt in the brain? I'm not sure if we're gonna see one dragon die this season, or two.

What happens to the dragons is listed in the spoilers a couple of pages ago.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah for being the spoiler thread people don't seem too read up on them.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
what? I know Viserion gets owned in the North, I just hadn't seen anything about the spear gun being used.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
they just needed to use the Silence on the show at Casterly to be a visual HEY IT'S GREYJOYS for the audience. I can just pretend Euron wasn't commanding. It's not like they included all the mystic worldtravel-y stuff I hear he has in the books. He's just a very competent and charismatic pirate/naval commander in the show, nothing really occult or mystical or worldly in characterization. Do we know if the ship is manned by dudes with their tongues cut out? Or is it deaf people?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

what? I know Viserion gets owned in the North, I just hadn't seen anything about the spear gun being used.

The spear gun wounds Drogon enough so that he has to land, but it's nothing serious or permanent.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I think that it's pretty funny the show runners made a big deal about Danny's confederation being all run by women and there's this big war council of women, then the very next episode all the chicks are dead and their armies broken. Poor show planning or a little misogynistic dig?

Eurons dig at Jaime was epic, loving love Eurons character.

Groovelord Neato posted:

no house has anywhere near enough gold to pay off the debt to the iron bank.

I think that's true if you want to remain a functional house. Since Cersei doesn't care about keeping the Tyrells a functioning house she could just take ALL their money and liquidate the rest. The house would be destroyed in blood as well as holdings and it would probably pay off the debts no problem.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 31, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

they just needed to use the Silence on the show at Casterly to be a visual HEY IT'S GREYJOYS for the audience. I can just pretend Euron wasn't commanding. It's not like they included all the mystic worldtravel-y stuff I hear he has in the books. He's just a very competent and charismatic pirate/naval commander in the show, nothing really occult or mystical or worldly in characterization. Do we know if the ship is manned by dudes with their tongues cut out? Or is it deaf people?

Show Euron is bad Euron

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Here's the deal, there are indeed maps of Westeros on the show. But they're set dressing. It's not for reference purposes. Until we get an actual lingering close-up of the distance between Dragonstone and King's Landing, or a character says "Getting to Casterly Rock from King's Landing sure takes a long time!", the extra detailed view of the maps from the books isn't applicable to the show

In the show, you can get from King's Landing to Casterly Rock really fast. Know how I know this? A guy did it. Maybe he floated down the Only-In-The-Show River?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

TheRat posted:

The spear gun wounds Drogon enough so that he has to land, but it's nothing serious or permanent.

I'm guessing the whole point will be to show that "Dragons can be wounded" and then an episode later we see one actually die.

Sort of pointless since they literally did that in Season 5 and then reminded us of it in Season 7, but whatever!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm guessing the whole point will be to show that "Dragons can be wounded" and then an episode later we see one actually die.

Sort of pointless since they literally did that in Season 5 and then reminded us of it in Season 7, but whatever!

But we already saw a dragon get wounded in the big gladiator battle

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
will the White Walker dragon breathe frost?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SHOAH NUFF posted:

will the White Walker dragon breathe frost?

imagine the freeze ray from batman

oh god please

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phi230 posted:

But we already saw a dragon get wounded in the big gladiator battle

Exactly what I mean by "we saw that in Season 5", so we agree!

Maybe they just need an excuse for Drogon to be out of commission for a while, since the Dragons are tied with the Direwolves for "most underutilized pets of all time"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So HBO's poo poo got hacked and we might just have the end of this season sooner than expected.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Theyve already shown that wights can crawl on the ceiling Aliens style so why dont they just climb the wall like the wildlings do? The night king is slower than Dany with his invasion.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
[quote="“Feels Villeneuve”" post="“474900285”"]
The Targ seat is Kings Landing, so it’d be Jon Waters. Jon has a great future in the exploitation film industry.

(“Waters” for the Crownlands is the one I always have to look up)
[/quote]

Jon was born at the Tower of Joy which is in Dorne, ergo, Sand.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

So HBO's poo poo got hacked and we might just have the end of this season sooner than expected.

thank god

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Here's the deal, there are indeed maps of Westeros on the show. But they're set dressing. It's not for reference purposes. Until we get an actual lingering close-up of the distance between Dragonstone and King's Landing, or a character says "Getting to Casterly Rock from King's Landing sure takes a long time!", the extra detailed view of the maps from the books isn't applicable to the show

In the show, you can get from King's Landing to Casterly Rock really fast. Know how I know this? A guy did it. Maybe he floated down the Only-In-The-Show River?

I don't know if I read it here, or somewhere else, but someone pointed out that when Cersei and Jaime were in the room with the map on the floor, Cersei was standing at the Neck, while Jaime was standing at the Fingers, perhaps forecasting the valonqar prophecy.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Danny tries to be ba just ruler
Her advisors gently caress it all up
Someone reminds her she's a dragon / she's a conqueror / be the dragon

Danny lights a bunch of people on fire

Repeat next season

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Is anyone watching Preston Jacob's videos anymore? Because holy moly its like watching someone lose their mind in real time

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

OperaMouse posted:

I don't know if I read it here, or somewhere else, but someone pointed out that when Cersei and Jaime were in the room with the map on the floor, Cersei was standing at the Neck, while Jaime was standing at the Fingers, perhaps forecasting the valonqar prophecy.

Ha, that would be awesome!

They even managed to sneak the Lannister "hands of gold" song in this season. But that might have just been an excuse for Ed Sheeran to sing and not additional foreshadowing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Reading those detailed spoilers, some of you sensitive types should stop watching now because there's going to be a shitload of teleportation and probably a scene of Bran or Sam slowly overexplaining the Rheagar Lyanna thing.

It's all super-necessary, but I know y'all would rather watch a show about army provisioning and slow walks through fields than tits and dragons.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Reading those detailed spoilers, some of you sensitive types should stop watching now because there's going to be a shitload of teleportation and probably a scene of Bran or Sam slowly overexplaining the Rheagar Lyanna thing.

It's all super-necessary, but I know y'all would rather watch a show about army provisioning and slow walks through fields than tits and dragons.

so we'd rather have season 1?

like you nerds think the show has always been this bad

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

so we'd rather have season 1?

like you nerds think the show has always been this bad

Nah Season 5 was bad, and Season 6 was just OK, but one bad season is enough to trigger the "Jumped the shark, time to poo poo on everything" response.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

That's not at all what we want, we just want consistent and good writing, like the show had from Seasons 1-4.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Mike N Eich posted:

Is anyone watching Preston Jacob's videos anymore? Because holy moly its like watching someone lose their mind in real time

I look forward to them about 10x more than the GoT episodes. Waiting for the drive home to listen.

I know this one is going to be good.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/891877203377606656

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mike N Eich posted:

It seems like these days he's mostly going, "Well this doesn't make sense, so let's find a point where a telepath could be controlling this character." Instead of just admitting GRRM is not able to track all the motivations of the 1,000 characters he's introduced.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

some guy on the bus posted:

I look forward to them about 10x more than the GoT episodes. Waiting for the drive home to listen.

I know this one is going to be good.

I'm the same way but with "Dem Thrones A Real Negus Too Too Trill Review"

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

PostNouveau posted:

where would one find the moer detailed spoilers?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

banned from Starbucks posted:

Theyve already shown that wights can crawl on the ceiling Aliens style so why dont they just climb the wall like the wildlings do? The night king is slower than Dany with his invasion.

It's implied that the wall keeps them out by magic rather than just being a big wall

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

where would one find the moer detailed spoilers?

these are the most detailed ones i've seen (they are very, very detailed): https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/6q6tdx/swordofthevenings_translations_of_frikidoctors/

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Soul Glo posted:

It's implied that the wall keeps them out by magic rather than just being a big wall

Benjen flat out says that there's more to the Wall than ice, and that magic keeps the dead from passing.

The show also demonstrated for us that there are some Dead-Free Magic Zones (3-eyed raven's house) including how it works and how it can be dispelled

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

In the show, you can get from King's Landing to Casterly Rock really fast. Know how I know this? A guy did it.

boy is this stupid.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Groovelord Neato posted:

boy is this stupid.

The show has given us zero reasons to believe you can't do it, and they've demonstrated that you can.

What's the counter point?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

westeros would be an incredibly small country and the geography would constantly shift.

it's called the narrow sea but this is ridiculous!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The show has given us zero reasons to believe you can't do it, and they've demonstrated that you can.

What's the counter point?

we have both maps and distance

unless they have airplanes and cars in this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phi230 posted:

we have both maps and distance

unless they have airplanes and cars in this world

Seriously, have they ever once shown a map with King's Landing and Casterly Rock on it, or mentioned how far apart they are, or how many days' rides it is, or anything at all?

• Locked thread