Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mrs Carmody is, if anything, worse in the book. She is a vile, hateful woman.

The ending is slightly different too. Instead of (movie) being rescued after shooting everyone else, he's (book) left alone in the mist with the equivalent of a fade to black .

Both endings are bleak as hell, with the movie's ending more of a personal gut punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

I just want to say that I saw The Mist in theaters and had no idea it was even based on something King wrote. (I wouldn't read King until years later when I got The Shining audiobook. It was excellent) What I remember most about it are the villain and the ending. I can't remember hating a cinematic character more than I hated that vile woman. The ending too was extremely memorable.

I can't remember anything else really. I'm not sure if that makes it a good movie or not.

In The Mist short story they end up at a Tim Horton's there was no resolution there.

In the Darabont movie they got some resolution even though it was horrific. Nice use of Dead Can Dance for the end though?

Yuge SPOILER HERE IF YOU HAVEN'T READ OR SCENE IT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktqNNsVJhUE

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

Mrs Carmody is, if anything, worse in the book. She is a vile, hateful woman.

The ending is slightly different too. Instead of (movie) being rescued after shooting everyone else, he's (book) left alone in the mist with the equivalent of a fade to black .

Both endings are bleak as hell, with the movie's ending more of a personal gut punch.

In the TV show they kill off Carmody early like first episode early

That made me sad

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Not sure if it was ever cleared up in the last couple of pages but yeah, the It movie coming out this fall is strictly the story of the first time the Losers fight It as kids - just the "kids" half. A second movie is planned that will be the "adults" half. Also, confirmed today, the runtime of It is apparently going to be 2hr15min which is excellent.

I'm cruising through this re-read. One thing that really stood out was the scene where Ben gets chased into the Barrens, sleeps in a pipe, wakes up and makes friends with Bill and Eddie. It's just a well written scene about kids and how kids become friends. I love when King writes about things like that, he does them well.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

syscall girl posted:

In the TV show they kill off Carmody early like first episode early

That made me sad
Well that's one way to say "this will not be like the books."

Also Half-life is blatantly The Mist from the perspective of the Army/Scientists which makes me love it even more.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

For those that like fancy books, Cemetery Dance will be putting their special edition of Night Shift up for preorder tomorrow.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Also Half-life is blatantly The Mist from the perspective of the Army/Scientists which makes me love it even more.

Never thought of it that way.

Did we win Half-Life? Gaben-san?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well since the second game is basically "What if the Zerg were Eastern European despair and took over Earth", and the franchise died a straight decade ago, I think they won.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Gaben put down the knives you charmer. Where is HL3

Where is it damnit !?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upPgEqerxWQ

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

syscall girl posted:

Never thought of it that way.

Did we win Half-Life? Gaben-san?

I think valve is even on record outright stating 'The Mist' was an inspiration for half life's story.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Swap out the words "Black Mesa" for the "Arrowhead Project" and change the setting from New Mexico to Maine, and the plots are identical. The only difference is perspective and monster types.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

syscall girl posted:

I forgot I loved Jud Crandall in the movie.

As played by Fred Gwynne (1926–1993)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP7zXMGMiHE

His goofy accent really lightened things up. His character in the book, not so much.

Is that Herman Munster?

EDIT: Google says yes.

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 2, 2017

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thats Fred Gwynne

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

oldpainless posted:

Thats Fred Gwynne

Apropos of nothing at all, I went to art school with Fred Gwynne's son in Philly. Fred showed up at my graduation and was really cool and nice until assholes started calling him "Herman" and poo poo then he semi bailed and wanted everyone to gently caress off so I didn't get to meet him and I only sort of knew his kid, Ed. I'd met him but didn't know his dad was famous or anything. Ed was nice enough as I recall.

Anyhow, that's my Fred Gwynne story.

A-yuh.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

mind the walrus posted:

Swap out the words "Black Mesa" for the "Arrowhead Project" and change the setting from New Mexico to Maine, and the plots are identical. The only difference is perspective and monster types.

So swap out the name, setting, plot, point of view and creatures and its the same? So is The sound of music!

(I'm just kidding, it just struck me as funny)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I like The Mist book's ending better than the movie's, which feels like such a shallow gotcha and doesn't really gel with the overall concept of groping blindly through a bleak, hostile world.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

syscall girl posted:

I forgot I loved Jud Crandall in the movie.

As played by Fred Gwynne (1926–1993)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP7zXMGMiHE

His goofy accent really lightened things up.
It was a pretty :aaaaa: moment when I realized Roland's MidWorld speak was basically that drawn-out sleepy Maine/Rhode Island dialect.. Thankee-sai.

King's books were good for that easter egg nerd candy. Single red ragged run-over shoe in Insomnia? Oh poo poo was Gage supposed to grow up and Serve the White? was he taken out to plan? Did the Micmac Burial Grounds unleash something into the worlds? :2bong:
lol nope

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like The Mist book's ending better than the movie's, which feels like such a shallow gotcha and doesn't really gel with the overall concept of groping blindly through a bleak, hostile world.

Yeah it's definitely a shocking ending the first time you watch it, but any subsequent watch you realize just how cheap and out of place it is. It's so dumb.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah it's definitely a shocking ending the first time you watch it, but any subsequent watch you realize just how cheap and out of place it is. It's so dumb.

I found it the other way around. I liked the movie's ending better and found it devastating. Maybe because I had a 3 year old at the time.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Still no reviews released for Dark Tower and it debuts in less than half a day. Just like Emoji Movie. I thought the trailer looked alright and liked the "final cycle" idea, but if it's below 30% good reviews then no way.

Also, thanks to poster who recommended Christine. That's one I keep forgetting to read but need to check out. Is Joyland worth the time?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Still no reviews released for Dark Tower and it debuts in less than half a day. Just like Emoji Movie. I thought the trailer looked alright and liked the "final cycle" idea, but if it's below 30% good reviews then no way.

Also, thanks to poster who recommended Christine. That's one I keep forgetting to read but need to check out. Is Joyland worth the time?

I liked "Joyland". It's sort of breezy, quick and unmemorable but a decent "read it at the beach on vacation" sort of book. If you're from the northeast and familiar with the seasonal nature of piers and carnival parks, it does a good job of making you feel like you're there. Heavy on atmosphere as I recall. I've read worse

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I loved Joyland as a Stephen King book; he played to most of his strengths and avoided letting the story get away from him.

I do not like Joyland as part of the Hard Case Crime lineup because it doesn't fit thematically with the rest of the books, but honestly that shouldn't be an issue for anyone asking about it in this thread :).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

I loved Joyland as a Stephen King book; he played to most of his strengths and avoided letting the story get away from him.

I do not like Joyland as part of the Hard Case Crime lineup because it doesn't fit thematically with the rest of the books, but honestly that shouldn't be an issue for anyone asking about it in this thread :).

Was it supposed to be connected to something else? It felt to me like a one off that King probably wrote in a day or two on a lark. But then again, he has a tendency to tie all of the poo poo that goes on inside the universe of his loving head together in one fashion or another.

I liked Joyland because it was grounded and avoided all the supernatural cop outs King was increasingly relying on for a long stretch there where he'd write himself into a corner and start busting out monsters and alternate dimensions and poo poo, like you mentioned. He painted a really good atmosphere with it to where you could smell and hear things - stale remnants of cotton candy, taffy and popcorn - if that makes sense. It reminded me of times when I would be at the shore during off season, where all the arcades, ice cream stores, rides and fun poo poo were closed, the town was ghostly and there wasn't much to do.

I'd recommend it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BiggerBoat posted:

Was it supposed to be connected to something else? It felt to me like a one off that King probably wrote in a day or two on a lark. But then again, he has a tendency to tie all of the poo poo that goes on inside the universe of his loving head together in one fashion or another.

I liked Joyland because it was grounded and avoided all the supernatural cop outs King was increasingly relying on for a long stretch there where he'd write himself into a corner and start busting out monsters and alternate dimensions and poo poo, like you mentioned. He painted a really good atmosphere with it to where you could smell and hear things - stale remnants of cotton candy, taffy and popcorn - if that makes sense. It reminded me of times when I would be at the shore during off season, where all the arcades, ice cream stores, rides and fun poo poo were closed, the town was ghostly and there wasn't much to do.

I'd recommend it.

Oh no, it's stand-alone. The Hard Case Crime line is just an imprint that publishes hard boiled, noir, and the like. My issue with Joyland under that heading is there are explicitly supernatural elements in the story - the ghost and the oracular sick kid - which are fine in a King story, but stick out like a sore thumb for HCC. No other books in that line even hint at the supernatural.

And I agree, King's ability to make the setting itself such a central character to the story is a refreshing call back to stories like 'Salem's Lot and The Shining.

Edit: I had similar issues with The Colorado Kid - I love the story, but it really felt like King kept going up to the exact moment he would have had to introduce supernatural elements to finish up the story. It's a good story for what it is, and I'd recommend it to any fan of King, but again, it isn't a great fit for the HCC line.

I guess I demand purity in my publishing imprints :v:.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 3, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

The Hard Case Crime

What books do you consider "HCC"? I never really thought about his work along those lines beyond the Mr. Mercedes trilogy. I'm trying to think of stuff he's written I might categorize that way and honestly drawing a blank. Maybe a few short stories.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

BiggerBoat posted:

What books do you consider "HCC"? I never really thought about his work along those lines beyond the Mr. Mercedes trilogy. I'm trying to think of stuff he's written I might categorize that way and honestly drawing a blank. Maybe a few short stories.

http://www.hardcasecrime.com/books_bios.cgi

Joyland is the book King wrote for this imprint. Ornamented Death has read a bunch of them and Joyland doesn't really fit the theme, is their point.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Beaten!

BiggerBoat posted:

HCC is an imprint of Titan Books.. The Colorado Kid and Joyland are the two titles he's written for them.

Honestly a standalone of something like "Apt Pupil" or "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" would have been a better fit (especially the latter), but I imagine the rights to those are tied down pretty well by Scribner (or whichever publisher is doing that).

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 3, 2017

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dark Tower reviews are in

http://uproxx.com/movies/the-dark-tower-review/

The Dark Tower is so astoundingly awful that when you leave the theater you’ll likely be less mad you wasted your time than flabbergasted that something like this could a) happen and b) be released as something that, theoretically, is going to launch a multi-platform franchise. The Dark Tower has been in production for around ten years in some form or another. This final product reminds me a lot of the GOP healthcare plan: You’ve had all this time and THIS is what you come up with? I can already picture John McCain strolling into a theater this weekend, giving a dramatic thumbs down, killing The Dark Tower forever.

The Dark Tower is, of course, based on a popular series of books by Stephen King. I have never read these books but people I trust swear they are good. I am curious what someone who has read the books will think of this movie. Will it make sense? Because I can tell you if you haven’t read the books, the plot is incoherent. I’ve been told that The Dark Tower books are jam-packed with dense plot, wonderful characters, and a sprawling mythology – which is what made the movie so hard to make for all these years. Well, the solution seems to have been to just scrap all that and release a shockingly short 95-minute movie that just kind of glosses over everything to the point that has any meaning or purpose.

Honestly, I just can’t get over how much of a disaster this movie turned out to be. I’m flabbergasted. (I’ve used that word twice now, but it’s true and I am.) In trying to think of another movie The Dark Tower reminded me of, the closest I could come up with is Jonah Hex. And there’s a better-than-average chance you’ve never seen Jonah Hex so that reference is probably lost on you. I digress.

Directed by Nikolaj Arcel from a script by Akiva Goldsman and others, The Dark Tower opens with children playing, an ominous siren goes off, then the children report to some sort of basecamp so that Matthew McConaughey’s The Man in Black can hook them up to machines and use their brainwaves as a weapon to attack the Dark Tower. I have a few questions here the movie never answers. Does this process kill the children? We are never told. Why does The Man in Black want to destroy the Dark Tower? No clue, except that “he’s evil” and the Dark Tower is getting in his way of being evil for unexplained reasons. Oh, also, the brainwaves of children might destroy the Dark Tower, though it hasn’t worked yet, but The Man in Black keeps trying.

Then we meet young Jake Chambers (Tom Taylor) who has visions of The Man in Black and The Gunslinger (Idris Elba, the only good thing in this movie). You see, he’s special – and because he’s special The Man in Black wants to hook ol’ Jake up to his brainwave machine and take another crack and destroying the Dark Tower. But before that can happen, Jake finds a portal at a house in Brooklyn that takes him to the interdimensional world where The Gunslinger lives, and where he eventually decides to protect Jake from The Man in Black.

The cinematic version of The Man in Black is an awful character. He just shows up everywhere out of the blue, whispers words like “stop breathing,” and whoever hears these words acts on his command. He seems to have unlimited, unexplained powers – yet still sends untrustworthy lackeys out to do his bidding, then gets mad when they fail. The only person he can’t seem to defeat is The Gunslinger, which is explained in a throwaway line that The Gunslinger can resist The Man in Black’s magic for some reason. (McConaughey could have easily just have shrugged and said “That guy, LOL” and it would have had about the same effect.)

I’m going to be honest with you: I kind of want you to see this movie so I have more people to discuss it with. Right now, I feel like a crazy person spouting about some upcoming Biblical doom. I want people to see this movie so you can see the same horrors that I did and try to make sense of them. See, that’s the thing: I want to make sense of this so that it can’t ever happen again. I desperately want to know how something that seems like such a surefire idea can go so terribly wrong.

I am fascinated with The Dark Tower movie. And I am even more fascinated with the idea that this movie will somehow sell people on an all-encompassing franchise. So, yes, go see The Dark Tower so we can all learn from it and try to be better despite of it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ein cooler Typ posted:

[amazing review]

Weeeeelp. There goes the last dangling thread of my cautious optimism.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tom Guycot posted:

Weeeeelp. There goes the last dangling thread of my cautious optimism.
I'm tending to agree, but with this one caveat:

I think a 2HR TDT movie pretty much assumes the audience will be there with a lot more understanding than that reviewer brought to his viewing. Those of us who've read the books bight be like GoT viewers who understand that some characters get consolidated, a lot stuff gets cut and barely mentioned.

Some movies are for fans, like Dune. Look at how Herbert fans see the various attempts to make a Dune movie/series. King fans will not score this movie like a reviewer who's seeing it without context.

In other words, some of us will like it more, some less, some will love it and some will loathe it. I don't take this review to mean much, except that as a critical/financial success, it does not bode well. There are other really big movies coming out or already out.

I doubt I'll go see it in a theater, though.When I do watch it, I'll probably "disengage brain" and hope for atmosphere and action, with some of the all-important characterization.

In the meantime, I'll watch the rest of the reviews come in.

After we've rightfully and sometimes maybe unfairly criticized King, it makes me sad to think his new big blockbuster films are going to tank. I don't want that, even if it's deserved.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yeaaa I'm gonna pass until this is on Netflix or something. I feel like having read the books will make the movie viewing experience even worse than someone who knows nothing about it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I was harboring a bit of optimism, but honestly I can't say that review is surprising.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

18% on Rotten Tomatoes and dropping. That's worse than Independence Day Resurgence at 31%, and that was the worst movie I've seen in theaters.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Did anyone actually not expect this based on (a) the trailer and (b) "written by Akiva Goldsman?"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I think we were all wishing for the best, much like the actual series.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I guess the director or whoever it was describing the 95 minute run time as "lean and tight" was confused as to what that means

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Saw this ending spoiler for the DT movie on reddit. Can't be sure it's the truth yet but :barf:

quote:

It so removed from DT that I wonder why they even called it such. I saw this morning, and if you're not averse to spoilers, here's how it ends:

Roland becomes Jake's new surrogate father and the two stay in New York, with a chance to explore more of mid-world, and have adventures together as a new family after Roland kills the Man in Black and decides that the Tower is safe for good and there's no reason to explore it any further.

Not even kidding, that's the ending.

More stuff:

quote:

Jake is the lead protagonist. He's the Chosen One that can destroy the Tower. The Man in Black now hunts children across worlds so he can find Jake and destroy the Tower so that it will... something. It's not established.

Roland and the Man in Black have a superpower showdown in an empty apartment building/factory.

The Man in Black has a tech-wizard sidekick who handles the operations from their hideout in New York, complete with the multiple monitor setup and tracking software.

Koburn fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 3, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Koburn posted:

Saw this ending spoiler for the DT movie on reddit. Can't be sure it's the truth yet but :barf:

More stuff:

It doesn't open for 2 weeks here so I still plan to see it and not read the spoilers. That barfing emoticon sure feels promising though! :v:

Oh well, IT, my eggs are all in your basket now. Get to it.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Koburn posted:

More stuff:

Well that is really how King wanted to end it. Especially after the accident, the writing really feels forced in the last few books. Thanks for saving me some cash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Check out the RT consensus. Holy poo poo, lmao.

quote:

Critics Consensus: Go then, there are other Stephen King adaptations than these.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_tower_2017