Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Duckbag posted:

Mix in some obstruction of justice and season with corruption, and you've got your self an impeachment.

I stopped getting my hopes up when I looked at Republicans saying "well this is troubling" and going about their standard agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

I'm glad to see Russia has decided to assist in the refugee crisis by making more refugees.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Duckbag posted:

No I think this is crusty old gen x Rall saying the ban is dumb while also poking fun at these kids these days and their labels.

For those that don't know, "intersex" is the modern pc word for "hermaphrodite" -- ie someone who was born with ambiguous or "mixed" genitalia/sexual characteristics. It's completely different from being transgendered because there's a blatant anatomical component to it, but often gets lumped in because they have some of the same issues, especially when those who had one sex "assigned at birth" (often involving surgery/hormones) grow up to identify with the other sex (which can happen in puberty when "boys" grow breasts/hips or "girls" get tall and muscular). Most intersex people never "transition" though and are basically indistinguishable from typical cisgender folks except that their junk might look funny/not work that well.

"Genderfluid" or "genderqueer" is someone who doesn't identify as exclusively masculine or feminine some of them may take hormones it get surgery, but most folks seem content to just change the way they dress/present themselves. Don't know a ton about these groups, but they're sort of in a gray area between "cis" and "trans" and frequently the sort of people who don't like to label themselves.

Neither of these are the same as "transgender" --which is someone who was born with one sex, but now identifies as a member of the other sex. It's different from intersex because they usually had clearly male or female bodies to start with (sometimes people use the "assigned at birth" language, but they're talking about social gender, not physiology). It's different from genderfluid because they identify 100% as one gender while rejecting the other.

Of course, people are weird, so there's some gray area and wiggle room between groups, but the takeaway is that, depending on how a "trans ban" is worded, it may not even effect most members of the groups Rall referred to.

Okay gotta correct a couple things here:
1. Don't say "transgendered"
2. Intersex people may or may not identify as trans, but gender fluid and gender queer people are trans, not a "grey area"
3. Transgender isn't exclusive to the binary genders like you claim

Please know your poo poo before posting

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Well, Telnaes's Scaramucci caricature is amazing.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

2017: where even a one day delay is too slow for cartoonists

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pants Donkey posted:

2017: where even a one day delay is too slow for cartoonists

Will people be able to adapt to normalcy and sanity again? Or will it be like those holocaust survivors who died by being fed after years of starvation?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

whomupclicklike posted:

2. Intersex people may or may not identify as trans, but gender fluid and gender queer people are trans, not a "grey area"

1. It's normal to use quotes around specific terms being given specific meaning, chill.

2&3, I've never heard anyone make the claim genderqueer is trans, and transgender is specific to binary because it literally means "across" or "opposite." Which can't happen in a spectrum. This is why the terms genderfluid and genderqueer were made, to help identify people outside the binary.

If you're gonna be shirty with people, don't use you own definitions.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pants Donkey posted:

Shatner has been ranting about SJWs this past weekend, so I guess we can finally put the old franchise debate to rest.

Shatner was explicitly not invited to George Takei's wedding.
He's everyone's racist grandpa.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Avenging_Mikon posted:

1. It's normal to use quotes around specific terms being given specific meaning, chill.

2&3, I've never heard anyone make the claim genderqueer is trans, and transgender is specific to binary because it literally means "across" or "opposite." Which can't happen in a spectrum. This is why the terms genderfluid and genderqueer were made, to help identify people outside the binary.

1. It's offensive, just say "transgender people"
2. You must not know very many trans people

If you'd like me to transplain more I'd be more than glad to oblige

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Chump Farts posted:

I stopped getting my hopes up when I looked at Republicans saying "well this is troubling" and going about their standard agenda.

Well, the midterm is the Sword of Damocles here. The way it's looking, Republicans have a choice between jettisoning Trump themselves or trying desperately to keep the lid on this scandal for another 15 months. Denial and greed are powerful things, but they must be getting loving terrified for their party by now and even if they don't impeach, I expect a lot more of them to be in open revolt by this time next year.

A couple months ago, I was still pretty sure Trump would get his four years, but now I'm glad I didn't put money on it. He's shedding important staffers on a weekly basis now and still hasn't filled a a huge number of positions. Sooner or later, even Republicans will have to wake up and realize they need a functional government, right? Right???

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Holy poo poo :eyepop:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

duz posted:

The mans prescence on the series took what should have been a show about a post-racial harmony of different groups solving problems around the cosmos and turned it into "Big American Man is always right and the best at everything." Star Trek was mostly great in spite of him, not really because of him.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

duz posted:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/themikenorton/status/892092812048699392

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fulchrum posted:

You know people have jobs, right?

Then you should probably get a low energy dog that only needs 1 walk a day then :confused:

e: Is there a word for when you disagree with someone so much, that when they say something you think is right, your knee jerk reaction is to re-examine that belief? I have that with the Ted Rall comics.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 1, 2017

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Selachian posted:

I saw her sketches and thought she would change the eyes since it was too close to her Sessions caricature but she went full skull donkey god bless her.

If that's supposed to be Priebus that's p bad tho.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Hi, you are wrong. Please educate yourself further before attempting to be an expert.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Story: South Australia's parties are uniting in calls for an inquiry into the water theft from the Murray-Darling basin and for Barnaby Joyce to be stripped of his water resources portfolio after Joyce gave a speech in a country pub saying he demanded he got his position to protect irrigators from "greenies".

Pope:

Rowe:

edit: People on the left are South Australian senators: Sarah Hanson-Young (Greens), Nick Xenophon (Independent), Cory Bernardi (Australian Conservative/former Liberal), Penny Wong (Labor).

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 1, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

whomupclicklike posted:

Is using the past participle of "transgender" offensive or just tacky? I've seen it plenty of times, including in academic literature and from trans people. I thought it sounded a little better in that specific sentence. I didn't mean to offend.

I have met and read articles from genderfluid/nonbinary types who absolutely did reject the trans label, either because, as I said, they didn't like labels period, or because they felt that they were something fundamentally different. So yeah, gray area.

As for point three, maybe we're just using different definitions then. Or have talked to different trans people. A lot of trans people are deeply offended if they're lumped in with "third gender" or "non binary" people because they think it's invalidating their identity as male or female if they're placed in the same category as people who say "other."

The problem with politically loaded neologisms is they can take a while to "settle" and, in the mean time, there are a lot of people who are personally invested in what it means to them.

I was posting with good intentions and, I'm sure, so were you, but there are communities online and in real life where either of our definitions would be seen as wrong and insulting.

I won't "transplain" anymore because I was just trying to call Rall an idiot and don't want to piss anyone off or speak for groups I don't belong to, but please consider that not everyone who uses words differently from you is an ignorant idiot.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Stop posting any time

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Internet Webguy posted:

I saw her sketches and thought she would change the eyes since it was too close to her Sessions caricature but she went full skull donkey god bless her.

I think its Spicy.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/Farts_Johnson/status/892120187297828865

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Duckbag posted:

Is using the past participle of "transgender" offensive or just tacky? I've seen it plenty of times, including in academic literature and from trans people. I thought it sounded a little better in that specific sentence. I didn't mean to offend.

I have met and read articles from genderfluid/nonbinary types who absolutely did reject the trans label, either because, as I said, they didn't like labels period, or because they felt that they were something fundamentally different. So yeah, gray area.

As for point three, maybe we're just using different definitions then. Or have talked to different trans people. A lot of trans people are deeply offended if they're lumped in with "third gender" or "non binary" people because they think it's invalidating their identity as male or female if they're placed in the same category as people who say "other."

The problem with politically loaded neologisms is they can take a while to "settle" and, in the mean time, there are a lot of people who are personally invested in what it means to them.

I was posting with good intentions and, I'm sure, so were you, but there are communities online and in real life where either of our definitions would be seen as wrong and insulting.

I won't "transplain" anymore because I was just trying to call Rall an idiot and don't want to piss anyone off or speak for groups I don't belong to, but please consider that not everyone who uses words differently from you is an ignorant idiot.

whomupclicklike posted:

Stop posting any time

there's an entire subforum devoted to semantic slap-fights you know

e: nevermind forgot where i was at :sigh:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

whomupclicklike posted:

Stop posting any time

If I could do that, it would have been ten years ago.

I'm not that invested in defending the definitions in my old Sex and Gender text book tbh. I'll be damned if I let someone call me an idiot on the internet without spewing :words: at them though.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

whomupclicklike posted:

1. It's offensive, just say "transgender people"
2. You must not know very many trans people

If you'd like me to transplain more I'd be more than glad to oblige

Just trans people who aren't assholes I guess. Jeez. At least that poster tried to help. Nobody was born knowing this poo poo, and if you're going to be a dick about it, you can't expect anyone to really care that they offended you.

Nobody gives a poo poo if anyone they serve with in the military is trans or not because it distracts from all the poo poo grunt work to be done and most everybody is a poo poo grunt. This is why it is stupid for trump to mention, because it distracts from poo poo grunt work in order to poo poo on people that have to trust each other with their lives. The current status quo was probably not absolutely terrible until the commander in chief selfishly made a matter of it.

Of course you could just not join the military but most trans people I've meet have been kicked out of their house and poo poo on financially so that's only hope they have unfortunatly.

That rall makes no sense, just conceptually, in general. His only opinion is that his opinion is the best, so focusing on individual words is dumb. I think he was trying to make the point I made above, but he's just too terrible at what he does for a living. Also, I think critcizing trump causes rall to focus on his egotism which results in exceptionally hot garbage.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Wow someone makes wildly innacurate statements about trans people and somehow I'm the rear end in a top hat

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Internet Webguy posted:

Well, according to the cartoon headline it is indeed intended to be Priebus.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

whomupclicklike posted:

Wow someone makes wildly innacurate statements about trans people and somehow I'm the rear end in a top hat

It's kinda impressive to be honest. Maybe try being better than Rall about explaining your viewpoint?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

The legs are long enough, but her expression fails to convey that existence is pain. 5/10.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Shuka posted:

Also glad I'm not the only one upset by the idea that walking a dog twice a day is arduous. That's barely adequate, probably not though.

Well, if you have fibromyalgia, one walk a week is tough. Probably better to get a cat in that case.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Selachian posted:

?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The usual cesspits aren't very shook about The Mooch, but they're losing their goddamn minds about Joe Arpaio's conviction. I expect at least Branco to make a cartoon about it, possibly Garrison.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kate Moon on Eaten Fish.

Preview:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The usual cesspits aren't very shook about The Mooch, but they're losing their goddamn minds about Joe Arpaio's conviction. I expect at least Branco to make a cartoon about it, possibly Garrison.
Cernovich seemed broken up about losing Moochie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pants Donkey posted:

Sure, but most of the MAGA crowd is just brushing it off because Trump did it so it must be good.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
I couldn't remember which oppressive regime it was had imprisoned Eaten Fish, turns out it was Australia.

Pants Donkey posted:

Also Steve Sack

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Duckbag posted:

Is using the past participle of "transgender" offensive or just tacky?

Blatantly offensive. It's a loving adjective, not a verb. It's not a thing that happens to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Condiv posted:

Its trying to reason with the backwards militants before it bombs them back to the stone age

But those are American soldiers...ohhhhhh.

• Locked thread