Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

2house2fly posted:

*an idea is repeated* this idea is being run into the ground

*an idea is not repeated* this idea is bullshit or it would have been repeated

Either of those things can be true depending on circumstances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

Either of those things can be true depending on circumstances

Wait are you telling me that context matters and we can't just make broad statements about generalities without looking stupid?

I'm shocked

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

If you believed that post and vastra's speech you would have expressed it in a single word

shitpost

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I have no idea who any of these actors are half the time a Doctor casting rumor pops up, but I always laugh when I see big name actors like Tilda Swinton floated. The BBC can't even consistently put a new 13 episode season on the air every 12 months. There's no way they'd land a movie star for the role.

But yeah so far I've enjoyed every NuWho Doctor. Eccelson less than others, but I was hooked after watching series 1 so he clearly did his job. I doubt they'll gently caress up with casting Jodie Whittaker.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Slowpoke! posted:

I have no idea who any of these actors are half the time a Doctor casting rumor pops up, but I always laugh when I see big name actors like Tilda Swinton floated. The BBC can't even consistently put a new 13 episode season on the air every 12 months. There's no way they'd land a movie star for the role.

But yeah so far I've enjoyed every NuWho Doctor. Eccelson less than others, but I was hooked after watching series 1 so he clearly did his job. I doubt they'll gently caress up with casting Jodie Whittaker.

I mean, I take your general point, but you do know that Christopher Eccleston was in movies before he was the Doctor? 28 Days Later and Gone in 60 Seconds off the top of my head, so not just zero budget zero impact british movies either. Also in the interests of pure pedantry one of the main things I know jodie whittaker from is "Attack the Block" which was a movie in which she starred. But that one is admitttedly a bit more of a niche british film (which had success, but not as much as I feel like it should have). In all fairness to people who predict really unlikely big hollywood stars, the demarcation between "TV Actor" and "Movie Actor" isnt nearly as defined as it used to be, with various "prestige miniseries" attracting a reasonably big name actor for various reasons (not always financial either).

Personally I'm on the record as being skeptical of any actor whose name is bandied about before an announcement, because its pretty much never who everyone says its going to be.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

sinepost posted:

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The entire scene feels like had a "clever" punchline and forced it to happen despite making no sense whatsoever.

A fitting epitaph for Moffat's Who.

Replace "punchline" with "scene" (usually the conclusion) and you have a fitting epitaph for RTD's Who.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I dismissed the notion of Tilda not because she's in movies but because she's break the BBCs budget. They like to keep Who cheap

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Burkion posted:

You know, I miss RTD.

I hope he's doing well.

He's a judge for the 2017 Bruntwood prize for playwriting, he's working on A Very British Scandal for Channel 4, and he's grown a moustache.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pgroce posted:

A fitting epitaph for Moffat's Who.

Replace "punchline" with "scene" (usually the conclusion) and you have a fitting epitaph for RTD's Who.
[/quote]

I'm not sure 'Clever' fits into anything RTD has ever done.

He goes for emotional more than that.

The_Doctor posted:

He's a judge for the 2017 Bruntwood prize for playwriting, he's working on A Very British Scandal for Channel 4, and he's grown a moustache.

I'm genuinely happy to hear that. He looks better with a mustache too.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Speaking of Rusty, someone on Reddit uploaded a very poor quality scan of a magazine column where he talks about his feelings on Steven Moffats era of Doctor Who: https://68.media.tumblr.com/34b0e7e22aa0f6c54823081208f9d51a/tumblr_otqzoqIzRI1wsfqgwo1_540.jpg

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I think that's from the latest DWM. I was going to buy that in the next couple of days. I could scan it for easier reading.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Awww, RTD is adorable.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

HopperUK posted:

Awww, RTD is adorable.

I love listening to RTD talk about Doctor Who.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

HOLY poo poo, I LOOK LIKE RTD

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

all-Rush mixtape posted:

HOLY poo poo, I LOOK LIKE RTD

Are you 8 foot tall?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Burkion posted:

Are you 8 foot tall?

One of my favorite RTD stories is when he tells people he worked on Doctor Who, most would look at him ask "Are you one of the monsters?"

Then again, he says he was finally able to use his height to his advantage in his job on Who in the early day when he was with the BBC Controller and the licensing department. They had all the contracts to the various licensees spread out before them, and someone brought up Big Finish. The Controller asked "Big Finish? What's that?" and RTD reached across the table, took BF's contract, and said "Don't worry about that, I'll take care of it." RTD explained that if the Controller learned that someone else was making Who at that time, he would have cancelled it then and there, and RTD didn't want that to happen.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 31, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The RTD artefact I'm most interested in reading is the pitch bible he wrote in 2004 and distributed to Moffat, Gatiss, Cornell et al. as a starting point for season one, because its first line is supposedly a description of the Ninth Doctor as a happy-go-lucky, cheerful adventurer, which cracks me up a bit.

I'm hoping to get that Moffat retrospective issue of DWM because I enjoy that kind of thing, even though I don't collect DWM as religiously as I did back in 2004-2006. Does anyone know if the DWM app is any good?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Burkion posted:

Are you 8 foot tall?

No, and I also have more hair.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Box of Bunnies posted:

They definitely overdo this stuff with Vastra but I like the core idea of her and Strax where the Doctor has these friends that we don't meet until later into those friendships because, well, of course he does. He's very old and has all these off screen adventures, it makes sense that we'll meet some of these friends later into their relationships with him

One of my favorite things is from one of those "mini-sodes" where Amy wakes up in the middle of the night, walks into the console room and the Doctor bursts through the door in a tuxedo and brakes to a halt when he sees her. Her,"Doctor.... do you go on adventures without us while we're asleep?" and his sheepish look back at her is hilarious.

TinTower posted:

:ohdear:: In the wrong hands, that venom could wipe out all life on this planet!
:smug:: Do you know what these are? The wrong hands! :v:

God I love The Crimson Horror :allears:

Davros1 posted:

RTD saves Big Finish

God I love Rusty :allears:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm sure I"m not the first person to post this, but I just discovered it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPzulODLeD8

A John Carpenter-style Who theme.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Q_res posted:

This is great. It also makes me yearn for when Doctor Who music was properly weird and wobbly and synthy. It was always that stuff that made me 'hide behind the sofa' more than the monsters.

I know its been a Who fan complaint literally since 2005 that Murray Gold was all about 'Hollywood orchestra bombast', but the annoying thing is, there were these tiny glimpses into what he could do, synthesiser-wise.
I remember there was a tiny fragment of music over a CGI shot in Silence In The Library/Forest of the Dead that had a dope bassline, and also when the Doctor inspects the painting of Clara in Heaven Sent that made me just wish all Doctor Who music was all synth, all the time.

I tried to look on youtube for examples of the moments I meant, but couldn't find anything. Please accept instead an arrangement of Laura Palmer's Theme in the style of the Stranger Things Title Theme, which is the sort of vibe I would love to see in the next series of Doctor Who. It's funny how RTD wanted a full orchestra sound so as not to feel dated, but things have come round full circle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KictEmxIKE

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Matinee posted:

and also when the Doctor inspects the painting of Clara in Heaven Sent that made me just wish all Doctor Who music was all synth, all the time.

Still waiting on that season 9 soundtrack. <:mad:>

I've really fallen in love with synths lately. To me they speak of memories I know I don't have. Of driving along long dark American highways, when the night was endlessly large and all-encompassing, the only holdouts being tiny pools of light from hole in the wall diners in the middle of nowhere.

Stranger Things does a really good job of tapping into that sense of simpler things for me.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Q_res posted:

I'm sure I"m not the first person to post this, but I just discovered it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPzulODLeD8

The Tangerine Dream-style theme is loving amazing.

The_Doctor posted:

Still waiting on that season 9 soundtrack. <:mad:>

I've really fallen in love with synths lately. To me they speak of memories I know I don't have. Of driving along long dark American highways, when the night was endlessly large and all-encompassing, the only holdouts being tiny pools of light from hole in the wall diners in the middle of nowhere.

Stranger Things does a really good job of tapping into that sense of simpler things for me.

As an American...you pretty much hit the nail on the head. It boggles my wife's mind when sometimes I'd rather hop in the car and drive somewhere hours away and take the non-highway route than get on an airplane or take the Interstate. Going from Washington DC to Orlando Florida without touching I-95 is one of my most treasured memories because you see places like that at the side of the road and wonder what kind of stories take place wherever you aren't at any given time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

As an American...you pretty much hit the nail on the head. It boggles my wife's mind when sometimes I'd rather hop in the car and drive somewhere hours away and take the non-highway route than get on an airplane or take the Interstate. Going from Washington DC to Orlando Florida without touching I-95 is one of my most treasured memories because you see places like that at the side of the road and wonder what kind of stories take place wherever you aren't at any given time.

Pretty much exactly how this happened:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Very late 80/early 90s (89-94?) My parents and I would fly from here in London to Detroit and then drive down to Chicago to do this antique show just outside Chicago (flying straight into Chicago was more expensive I think?). I was 8/9 first time we did it, so I've just got the cusp of what it felt like then. But absolutely we'd be driving along dark roads, and we'd stop at some middle of nowhere motel en route in Michigan. Eat dinner in hole in the wall diners with that yellowy fluorescent light, or dimly lit with just pools of light along the counter and above the booths.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Very late 80/early 90s (89-94?) My parents and I would fly from here in London to Detroit and then drive down to Chicago to do this antique show just outside Chicago (flying straight into Chicago was more expensive I think?). I was 8/9 first time we did it, so I've just got the cusp of what it felt like then. But absolutely we'd be driving along dark roads, and we'd stop at some middle of nowhere motel en route in Michigan. Eat dinner in hole in the wall diners with that yellowy fluorescent light, or dimly lit with just pools of light along the counter and above the booths.
I wonder how different the diner scenes in The Impossible Astronaut and Hell Bent would've been if they'd been shot at night

Twelve quietly playing "Clara" on his guitar while a waitress pours him a cup and listens to his story takes on a whole different meaning depending on the lighting

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Regarding Murray Gold themes: I enjoyed the theme tune during Capaldi's tenure much more than Smith's versions and the God-awful Series 4 version. I like 'The Chase', though, and hopefully that bit of the theme continues with Whittaker's Doctor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man i loved the series 4 one, it sounded... cool

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pretty much exactly how this happened:

You're not too far off. It's the closest thing to an American Lord of the Rings we will ever see, along with The Stand and Swan Song.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Regarding Murray Gold themes: I enjoyed the theme tune during Capaldi's tenure much more than Smith's versions and the God-awful Series 4 version. I like 'The Chase', though, and hopefully that bit of the theme continues with Whittaker's Doctor.

bring back the middle eight, cowards

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
good Doctor Who music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiG2KSYBsOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

2house2fly posted:

Man i loved the series 4 one, it sounded... cool

It sounded like the Stolen Earth/Journey's End was written.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

The Tangerine Dream-style theme is loving amazing.

I keep trying to make stuff like this, but it always comes out sounding like a third-rate educational video about planets. But more importantly:

DoctorWhat posted:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Cobi, have you seen the film Near Dark? It combines both halves of your post, and is fantastic. Okay, there's kind of a deus ex machina ending, but look what thread you're in.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

DoctorWhat posted:

they could at least do it on special occasions. when there's a lot a guest stars and the credits could use the extra space

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the tv movie was right. the middle eight should be the start

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder how different the diner scenes in The Impossible Astronaut and Hell Bent would've been if they'd been shot at night

Twelve quietly playing "Clara" on his guitar while a waitress pours him a cup and listens to his story takes on a whole different meaning depending on the lighting

Considering the diner is actual a gaudy faux-American place right on Cardiff Bay, they'd have had a lot of work to do.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I was going to say "80s middle 8 supremacy, come fight me like a Myrka, bro", but the fact is I love them all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqyUZUqTqcE

Splendid bridges, all of 'em.

EDIT - The Ron Grainer arrangement would use it to take a break from Pertwee punching people to show ladies dancing in very 70s getups, or maybe quick zooms on the supporting UNIT cast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SZs4xudf8&t=63s

After The War fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 1, 2017

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

Cobi, have you seen the film Near Dark? It combines both halves of your post, and is fantastic. Okay, there's kind of a deus ex machina ending, but look what thread you're in.

I LOVE Near Dark. Back in my LARP days I'd point to that movie and go "this is what playing the Sabbat in the World of Darkness should be like."

But in terms of the topic, you're exactly right. Movies like that or Out of the Furnace, even the original My Bloody Valentine, the "this is what happens off the beaten path" setting. I think it's why I love the episodes of Doctor Who that show that even in the future there's still someone having to change the filters in the quantum engines or there's a colony that's been around for 200 years and the shine has worn off but people still have a job to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

After The War posted:

EDIT - The Ron Grainer arrangement would use it to take a break from Pertwee punching people to show ladies dancing in very 70s getups, or maybe quick zooms on the supporting UNIT cast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SZs4xudf8&t=63s

Man, this is one of those things that I forget about for months, then somebody else brings it up and I'm not sure how it ever left my mind.

• Locked thread