Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

Sydin posted:

printer

Sam is currently copying books and Jorah is gonna take him to Dany...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I like how this season is all about going "Hey we gave you all these major catharsis moments last season, made it seem like poo poo was getting good for the good guys. gently caress you."

Dany's plan falling to poo poo so fast is HILARIOUS.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Reading the expanded spoilers, loving :lol: at this:

quote:

Jon then offers them a chance to go beyond the wall with him after they tell him the red god wants them to go beyond the wall, Gendry doesn’t trust them however since they sold him to Stannis to get his blood sucked and who can blame him. Also, Jorah is recognized by Tormund (somehow) who knows his father was Jeor the lord commander who made their life hell for a long time fighting the free folk, then Jon sees the hound who knows what the he has done for Joffrey and some stuff that Sansa has told him he’d done so he doesn’t trust him either.

Like it almost feels like they brought most of this characters back just so they could write this awkward eye squinting scene so that people would confuse it for superior writing skills

Also this

quote:

Also we see Gilly continuing to learn how to read, she has been reading a diary or record of events by the now dead High Septon Maynard and she’s reading them to a uninterested or just busy Sam, she reads a piece that says Maynard “issued an annulment for a prince ‘ragger’ and remarried him to someone else in a secret ceremony in Dorne”

loving called that Gilly would be the one to accidentally reveal something important to a frustrated Sam who would go "Golly gee, Gilly. This here solves all teh problems with the current plot at hand!"

This is a bad, bad show but so fun, fun to hatewatch

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

kater posted:

I like how Brann could have told Sansa that Arya was alive and well but didn't.

He will tell Arya how nice the weather was that day a guy threatened to shove a stick up her bunghole

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

JBP posted:

Are there any spoilers whether Jaime loses his poo poo over ostracising his brother and good mate Tyrion based on a lie by Cersei?
Why would it be seen as a lie by Jaime, though? It's not like Cersei knew it was Olenna either.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kater posted:

Sam is currently copying books and Jorah is gonna take him to Dany...

Oh my loving god

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

JBP posted:

Are there any spoilers whether Jaime loses his poo poo over ostracising his brother and good mate Tyrion based on a lie by Cersei?

Spoilers say something along the lines of Tyrion being doubtful about Jaime ever considering meeting him for a truce, but Jaime has come to terms with the fact that Tyrion was framed for a crime he didn't commit and that his father was unjustly a dick to him his whole life till he pushed him a tad too much, so he is back in bro terms with him.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This is good, like for real

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

loving called that Gilly would be the one to accidentally reveal something important to a frustrated Sam who would go "Golly gee, Gilly. This here solves all teh problems with the current plot at hand!"

Oh my God, that's the most cliche thing ever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

JBP posted:

I just got told about this Darkstar dude and want to know why this baller isn't in the loving show.

For real. My friends and I were picking families for the Game of Thrones board game before the episode last night, and i got the Martells because I didn't want to be the Lannisters, and had to look up that bad rear end.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
What the hell is the Night's King character supposed to be in the show?

Like, sometimes it gives the sense that he is a force of nature, not too smart, but a danger nonetheless due to his innate power and destructive nature.

But then he strategises like when he sends a WW to retrieve the Dragonglass, or when he decides to immediately drop the landscape sightseeing trip he was doing to go and gently caress up the 3 eyed raven as soon as the opportunity rises or, if the spoilers are true, fish up a dead dragon to get a nice new car, so he shows some degree of intelligence.

What I'm getting at is why the gently caress wouldn't he turn his necro power off on the zombie that Jon & Co. steal?? That way Jon & co. cannot alert the rest of the world to his plans.

Plus it would be cool to see Jon & co. standing like complete fools in the middle of the Dragonpit during the truce and Cersei believing it was all a ploy against her and going full crazy bitch mode.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

What I'm getting at is why the gently caress wouldn't he turn his necro power off on the zombie that Jon & Co. steal?? That way Jon & co. cannot alert the rest of the world to his plans.

What makes you think this is a thing he can do?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FogHelmut posted:

This is good, like for real

?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1226084834169826&id=257866377658348&ref=content_filter

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Open Marriage Night posted:

For real. My friends and I were picking families for the Game of Thrones board game before the episode last night, and i got the Martells because I didn't want to be the Lannisters, and had to look up that bad rear end.

"Men call me Darkstar and I am of the night."

*glam metal riffs wail over the red mountains*

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SHOAH NUFF posted:

will the White Walker dragon breathe frost?

Only if you don't keep up enough dps during the second phase.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Ugh, that fucker takes like seven hours.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

i guess the night king had no actual plan to cross the wall other than having a random dragon literally falling into his lap.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

banned from Starbucks posted:

i guess the night king had no actual plan to cross the wall other than having a random dragon literally falling into his lap.

I'm sure the plan was to march and fight, but then getting a dragon is a "cool thx" moment for him.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Well he ran out of his supply of human babies like 4 seasons ago, and since then has even lost some walkers. He needs more baby flesh to make more walkers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He has picked up a load of dudes along the way plus a bunch of giants, so he is doing good so far. Finish them all night dude.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
Why did all the Bran leveling up happen offscreen? Good to see them using that classic filmmaking technique of "tell, don't show."
That would have actually be cool and interesting to see, but instead he just arrives this season and apparently has been learning his powers while we weren't looking.
Come to think of it, same thing happened with Arya. She went from amateur assassin to immortal facestealer between seasons.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

How did the free folk north of the wall survive previous winters?
edit: Not a nitpick, genuinely curious if it's discussed in the books.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I think it was something like not all winters bring white walkers, only super long ones.

There were some theories on how this work, but they involved 3 suns and math I don't nor care to understand.

edit: Found it, 2 suns, not 3. https://arxiv.org/abs/1304.0445. Research by the Physics Department of JH University. God bless them for doing the really important research.

quote:

1.4. Magic
Yep, this should work.

:lol:

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 1, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Senor Tron posted:

How did the free folk north of the wall survive previous winters?
edit: Not a nitpick, genuinely curious if it's discussed in the books.

It's not discussed IIRC, but I'd guess very much like Inuit survived far north without agriculture - hunting, fishing, whaling. Plus raiding south of the Wall. And yeah, no Others during normal winters.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mullitt posted:

Why did all the Bran leveling up happen offscreen? Good to see them using that classic filmmaking technique of "tell, don't show."
That would have actually be cool and interesting to see, but instead he just arrives this season and apparently has been learning his powers while we weren't looking.
Come to think of it, same thing happened with Arya. She went from amateur assassin to immortal facestealer between seasons.

Didn't he reach and demonstrate his level of power with that hodor bullshit? What else do you want to see? Some shitbird kid meditating for hours at a time?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Did they say in this weeks episode that dargonglass kills walkers AND the zombies? I know it shatters walkers when they touch it but I don't remember any indication it would do anything different than a regular weapon on the wights. Only fire has been shown to make them un-re-ressurectable.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

drunken officeparty posted:

Did they say in this weeks episode that dargonglass kills walkers AND the zombies? I know it shatters walkers when they touch it but I don't remember any indication it would do anything different than a regular weapon on the wights. Only fire has been shown to make them un-re-ressurectable.

In the books Dragonglass is ok on WW, but when Sam tries to stab his old pal wight the glass acts like glass and shatters.

In the show this scene is absent, as well as any scene in which dragonglass is shown to be effective against wights, yet the spoilers seem to indicate that the heroes know for a fact it will work and end up actually being right.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

JBP posted:

Didn't he reach and demonstrate his level of power with that hodor bullshit? What else do you want to see? Some shitbird kid meditating for hours at a time?

He could barely control his powers at that time and was not a monotone robot boy tapped into the dreamworld or whatever he is now. From all we've seen he's been on the run from the time the white walkers almost killed him. When has he had time for more training, especially enough to become a completely different person?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Arya got the stabby stabs one episode, slept for a day, fought the Terminator and won the next day and became the Punisher the next scene we saw her onwards.

At least Bran had an offscreen timeskip in which he got basic training. All that Arya got was a Kung-fu panda montage.

Bran achieving the Nerdvana while being dragged cross-country by Meera is something not worth losing your poo poo over.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I wonder if they even bother making a CGI sequence for the Night King resurrecting Viserion or if they simply take the intro sequence of Wrath of the Lich King. Maybe dub Sindragosa with Viserion or something.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The plot is being carried by magical ravens fueled by angry nerds, don't think about it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mullitt posted:

He could barely control his powers at that time and was not a monotone robot boy tapped into the dreamworld or whatever he is now. From all we've seen he's been on the run from the time the white walkers almost killed him. When has he had time for more training, especially enough to become a completely different person?

He literally just sits on a cart all day doing gently caress all and thinking about birds.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Brann's a full-time psychic. It's not a 9-to-5 affair.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Mullitt posted:

It did seem to get less hosed for Bran after Benjen picked them up. Presumably he had some free time every once in a while to get some practice in. What the hell else does Bran have to do anyway?

As for Euron's teleportation powers people have been going on about... it may be less "dumb" than it looks:

Episode 1:

- Euron arrives in King's Landing, then departs after meeting Cersei to seek out her "gift". Presumably he lurks somewhere not too far from Dragonstone, and has scouts to learn when Dany arrives and be able to report that information back to Euron.

- Dany arrives at Dragonstone. She has no idea that Euron is nearby, and apparently Yara doesn't even contemplate the possibility.

Episode 2:

- Dany has that strategy meeting and dispatches two fleets: Yara's Iron Fleet to head off to Dorne, and Grey Worm to circle the continent to attack Casterly Rock. I'll take a short leap and say that Grey Worm's ships are largely transports, or at the very least are nowhere near as good at shiphandling as either Yara or Euron. Grey Worm's fleet, in other words, is slower.

- Euron ambushes Yara's Iron fleet and wipes it out. I'm going to say that Euron had scouts watching Dragonstone, saw the fleets leave, and decided to pounce upon Yara's because she's Euron's niece and he wants to take her down. He gets the victory and prisoners he seeks for his "gift" and opts to sail for King's Landing immediately rather than follow-up on Grey Worm's transport fleet to Casterly Rock. We don't know where this sea battle actually takes place, but based on Varys receiving news of it early in Episode 3, it probably is not very far from Dragonstone. My guess is that it is a few days sailing from Dragonstone, rather than being anywhere close to Sunspear.

Episode 3:

- Euron makes a brief visit to King's Landing to drop off his prisoners before getting back to sea to pursue Grey Worm's fleet probably later the same day or the following one. Jaime's chat with Olenna and his knowledge of Euron's later attack on Grey Worm's fleet suggest that it may have been planned out with Euron before he left King's Landing in some off-screen strategy meeting. Most likely this plan was cooked up because Euron's scouts spotted Grey Worm's fleet and they figured out where it was ultimately headed, or simply Euron decided to shadow Grey Worm's fleet until it began its attack.

- Grey Worm's transport fleet attacks Casterly Rock. Euron, knowing about Grey Worm's fleet through his scouts, manages to use his more experienced sailors and/or the relative low speed of Grey Worm's Fleet allow him to make up the distance between them. Once this is done, Euron shadows Grey Worm's fleet and follows it from a distance until the Unsullied attack Casterly Rock. Why Euron didn't just attack Grey Worm's fleet at sea and wipe it out like he did to Yara is probably only because it would make poorer TV to have two fleets in two simultaneous episodes sunk in the exact same way. It makes more sense to just drown all the Unsullied rather than let them get ashore and have a chance to survive, but less so for TV.

TL;DR Euron's Ironmen know their poo poo and sail faster than Grey Worm's fleet of transports who probably don't know what the hell they are doing, or at least not as well as Euron's Iron Fleet. Or maybe Euron's ships are better built. Who knows? All of this is loving guesswork.

This is only me trying to rationalize Euron's apparent ability to teleport. I may just be talking out of my arse.

Yureina fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 1, 2017

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

are you people even serious anymore.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

JBP posted:

A few people have said something like this in the thread, but I'm pretty sure it's not right. iirc, Jamie never really believed Tyrion killed Joffrey, which he why he let him escape. What made Jaime swear off Tyrion was him killing Tywin, which definitely happened.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It was kinda weird how they changed Tyrion being "in charge of the drains and cisterns of Casterly Rock" to "Tyrion literally designed and built the sewers of Casterly Rock".

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I thought CR and pretty much all of the castles have been around since forever. Like isn't King's Landing(or whatever the royal castle itself is called) the newest one and even that''s hundreds of years old.

I guess Tywin got tired of pooping in a bucket and ordered some sewers built. Which of course no one had thought of before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Is it just me, or is Master of Cisterns & Sewers or w/e a way shittier and more insulting/degrading job than trusting Tyrion to design a fully functioning sewer system?

Seems like a job you give to someone because you know they'll be good at it.

• Locked thread