Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/actparty/status/892267420710084608

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

oohhboy posted:

There isn't enough research for LTFR to be commercial. There is a serious problem with the materials which doesn't exist yet needed to handle the reaction without breaking down pretty fast due to how nasty the reactants are even without the radioactivity. Otherwise the underlying idea is pretty sound for now.

Existing of problems with nuclear power could be solved with breeder reactors which makes more fuel then burns that into far less nasty by-products with a much smaller amount of waste. However the problem is it makes plutonium in weapon grade quantities which make current nuclear powers nervous. Canada runs a breeder.

I'unno, they had a big breakthrough on a beryllium alloy for coating the interior, since it's resistant to neutron poisoning and chemically inert against the salt mix. They also had good results from a nickel sponge for purging xenon byproducts. We technically have the materials, the main level of investment is in jimmying the stuff we have into a more economical model. Hence the whole prototype thing.

If it's wastes you're worried about, LFTRs burn spent fuel to start up reactor to criticality - and most (70-90%, give or take) of the byproducts are safe after 10 years, the rest max out at 300. There's also the point that ton for ton, Thorium salt has a 1:35 ratio on the production of waste to the average LWR due to the cycling of the fuel and the efficiency of the mix.

As for proliferation, that's laughable. Sure, if you (Really) wanted a nuke, you could eventually refine enough plutonium out of the mix to make a working warhead - but you'd find it a lot easier to use a conventional reactor for that. I gotta point out again and again that we already have a proliferation risk from nuclear energy: It's the poo poo we're already using, and it's better at it than the newer proposed models. It's like worrying you'll crash a tricycle when you're already flooring a Harley Davidson to and from work five times a day.

Also, it'd have to be plutonium. The only weapons-grade Uranium (236, I think) you could refine out of the mix has a nasty habit of farting gamma-rays, which is a fast track to a dud warhead when it fries the ever so sensitive electronics on the thing.

e: Oh poo poo, you were talking about breeders. My bad dude.

This is kinda my pet passion, in case you hadn't guessed.

(AIR-COOLED REACTORS, DESALINATION ON A MASSIVE SCALE, I WOULD SUCK A COCK TO HAVE IT MADE A REALITY)

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 1, 2017

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

drat that liberal leftwing media :argh:

drat them and their liberal bias!

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Speaking of the Herald, Hosking wittering on about credibility is like ra-iiiii-ain on your wedding day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chalupa Joe posted:

Speaking of the Herald, Hosking wittering on about credibility is like ra-iiiii-ain on your wedding day.

Not at all ironic and just plain old lovely instead?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Exactly.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I lol'd

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

"Just get a load of those teeth!" - old woman that I work with

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

bike tory posted:

drat that liberal leftwing media :argh:

drat them and their liberal bias!

https://twitter.com/iamseamusbrady/status/892202436668018688

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
What kind of prehistoric disosaur still gets ads on their browser?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Gulag, imo.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Midget Fist posted:

What kind of prehistoric disosaur still gets ads on their browser?

Old people, you know the ones who actually vote.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Varkk posted:

The same who watch ads on TV I guess.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Varkk posted:

I have an uncle who is a] old and b] doesn't vote and c] uses ad blocking software and d] records tv so he doesn't have to watch ads

Mainly doesn't vote because he hates queuing up at the polling booth and "the nats" usually win anyway and "[all political parties] are all as bad as each other" so why bother.

Democracy.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jacinda brought in an extra $110000 over night. That'll be amazing for Labour because they're strapped for cash as it is.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

bike tory posted:

Jacinda brought in an extra $110000 over night. That'll be amazing for Labour because they're strapped for cash as it is.

It might cover replacing all the billboards. Speaking of which, any else not filled with confidence by the fact that the new billboards just don't have anyone's faces on them at all? Kind of screams 'who the gently caress knows who'll be leader in 7 weeks'.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I would have just splashed red paint over Little's picture on the current boards.

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

What hope remains that Dunne will not be returning next parliament ???

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Isn't Greg "gun em all down" O'Connor standing for Labour against him? I can see people who like Dunne voting for him.
I doubt those who would vote for Green or a left wing Labour candidate would.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Last time the Labour candidate lost by 1200 votes, while the Green candidate got 3000+ votes. There's no green candidate this time...

O'Connor seems like a better fit too?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11897877

Nothing to see here, folks. Everything is fine. I'm sure that their organisation is in no way religious in nature as well.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A friend of mine who is a counsellor only had good things to say about Le Va, so it's actually possible this isn't some sort of nepotism

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Yeah, the Wise Group is really established + sophisticated. It's interesting that they've gone with a Pasifika-focussed provider for it though – are they overrepresented in suicide stats?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is so offensive it has made international news.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40798966

quote:

New Zealand's new opposition leader has said it is unacceptable for women in the workplace to be asked about their motherhood plans, after she was quizzed on TV about whether she wanted a child.

Jacinda Ardern, 37, was elected leader of the Labour party on Tuesday after Andrew Little stepped down. Ms Ardern is the youngest person to lead the party and the second woman.

The questions have sparked a fierce sexism debate in the country, which is due to hold an election in September.

Prime Minister Bill English said the questioning was not acceptable and that while "some degree of personal intrusion" could be expected in politics, Ms Ardern's plans were "her private business".

Late on Tuesday, hours into her new job, Ms Ardern appeared on current affairs programme The Project. She was asked by the host Jesse Mulligan whether she felt she had to choose between progressing her career and having children.

"I've got a question and we've been discussing today whether or not I'm allowed to ask it," said Mr Mulligan before proceeding.

Ms Ardern has previously spoken about how wanting a family has made her think carefully about pursuing high level positions.

She replied: "I have no problem with you asking me that question because I have been very open about discussing that dilemma because I think probably lots of women face it."

"For me, my position is no different to the woman who works three jobs, or who might be in a position where they are juggling lots of responsibilities."

However, in a second interview on Wednesday morning, Ms Ardern was again pushed on the subject.

A host on The AM Show, Mark Richardson, said New Zealanders had the right to know when choosing a prime minister whether that person might take maternity leave.

"If you are the employer of a company you need to know that type of thing from the woman you are employing… the question is, is it OK for a PM to take maternity leave while in office?" Richardson asked.

Ms Ardern, visibly angry with the question, said New Zealand women had a right to keep their child-bearing plans private from their employers.

She pointed out that it was illegal for employers to discriminate against a potential candidate on the grounds of being pregnant or wanting children in the future.

"It is totally unacceptable in 2017 to say that women should have to answer that question in the workplace. It is unacceptable, it is unacceptable," she said pointing her finger at Richardson.

"It is a woman's decision about when they choose to have children and it should not predetermine whether or not they are given a job or have job opportunities."

The repeated questioning of Ms Ardern on the subject has sparked outrage among many who point out that male politicians are rarely asked their parenthood plans.

An opinion piece by Michelle Duff for website Stuff.co.nz spoke of the double standard in place. Former Australian PM Julia Gillard's choice not to have children was often used by her political opponents to paint her as unemotional and lacking in empathy, she said.

The piece concludes the questions are "sexist, stupid, and irrelevant to how well she can do the job".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm enjoying this because labour will either crash and burn as usual or do extremely well despite having unchanged policies and prove me right about marketing and personality trumping actual politics.

Also she seems like a decent enough person. It would be nice to not have a tremendous oval office as PM for a change.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeeeeeah, watch as nothing comes of this as Labour fumbles the ball yet again.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
If Labour even take 2 or 3% off National the election is wide open

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

They will be the biggest losers

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Internal Labour polling has them back up at 28% overnight

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

Internal Labour polling has them back up at 28% overnight

At whose expense?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dunno I didn't see any full poll results, just got it from a friend in Labour

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The last mainstream poll I saw in the news put the left getting into government in a coalition of 4. Labour, NZF, Greens, TOP.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

So another election next year then

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

When I think "the left"

I think

Winston

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When I think the left I think of an insatiable lust for cat genocide.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

When I think of the left I just get kind of depressed

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

oohhboy posted:

The last mainstream poll I saw in the news put the left getting into government in a coalition of 4. Labour, NZF, Greens, TOP.
How is that possible? TOP are currently polling at 0 seats.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Is Jacinda a Macron or a Corbyn.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
She's a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003
Horrible human being Matthew Hooton just posted some 'random numbers' on his twitter, I'm guessing it's National party internal polling from past 24 hours? Nats 45% Lab 35% Nzf 14% greens 6%

• Locked thread