Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The SP adhesives are very useful but when people are talking about having 100,000 yen after the third palace they're definitely referring to the Fortune confidant, not that or Kawakami.

I finally finished this game in April after playing it for 4 months... Persona 3 and 4 only took a month when I played them the first time but maybe I had less of a life 10-ish years ago
I'm weirdly tempted to start NG+ to try ruthless difficulty and try for maxing all s. links with the benefits from clear data but I ought to resist and let it sit for a while.

I was wondering about the little stat-gated choices in the beginning of the game that it's very difficult/impossible to do on a first playthrough.
I can only recall the locked dialogue option when meeting Shido in the hotel after Kamoshida's palace. And I guess dodging the chalk the first time but that comes up 2 or 3 other times much later in the game.
Were there any others?

I only got Guts and Kindness to rank 4 (everything else at 5) at the end of the game is why I am wondering, though I guess I can get Guts up to 5 before the end of Kamoshida's palace assuming that option requires 5.
Did Persona 3 have any options like that? I only remember asking Yukiko for her phone number in the beginning of 4 and can't recall others in that game.

One other random question, does for example Evade Fire from an accessory stack with the Evade Fire skill on a Persona? Asking since I had everyone other than Joker carrying accessories to evade their weakness but not sure if they had any effect after people got their second personas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I def recommend doing a second play through to max everyone and clean up. It's actually really easy ng+ Andy second play through really helped me appreciate everyone. For example, I went from makoto is best to Kawasaki is best, ty ng+

Pro tip

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I do remember a dialogue choice early on with Igor that was locked off based on high guts.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Yeah, I just passed it and it required 3 Guts to tell him... something. Since I didn't know what those stats were (still don't, really...) and how high they went, I thought that previous dialogue choices could raise my Guts and I'd chosen poorly. Now I'm guessing it's a NG+ thing.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

EDIT: Additionally, do some enemies not have elemental weaknesses? The Oni enemies don't seem to have one, so it seems like the only way to negotiate with them it to get them alone and down to low health.

You wanna try to get them alone and then Crit with lucky punch or something. That can work too. I just fused my Oni, and used mind skills to chump then in fights.

This works on the Oni backing up bosses too. Marin Karin is a favorite, but Dormina works fine if you don't have it. Ann learns that one.

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 29, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Pulinpa is actually the favourite. Dormina is a decent substitute, but of the set probably the worst one other than Rage.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

Pulinpa is actually the favourite. Dormina is a decent substitute, but of the set probably the worst one other than Rage.

Yeah I mention Dormina because Ann will have it for sure. It's not the best, but it defangs Oni and that's good to do, especially on Hard mode. Marin Karin is way better though.

In the fourth dungeon, I also got good usage out Ryuji's Headbutt against one enemy Anubis. It frequently procs Forget, and hurts them either way.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

EDIT: Additionally, do some enemies not have elemental weaknesses? The Oni enemies don't seem to have one, so it seems like the only way to negotiate with them it to get them alone and down to low health.

Yep. Crits will also down them, and you will eventually get a confidant link that gives you an ability that will help. It's when you get a mementos quest to beat up some dork cheating at video games. This will lead to you getting the Tower confidant, which lets you spend a bunch of Joker's bullets to auto-down an enemy. It's pretty expensive bullets-wise, but you should only need to use it once or twice per palace and if you rank up tower it'll get cheaper.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Ugh. gently caress the Palace 7 boss.

1st form is a joke and melts at Ryuji\Haru\Joker's combined Physical attacks. 2nd form starts getting bad then 3rd form is just a losing battle no matter what. As soon as he starts the "extra turns" junk, I'm sunk usually. Is there a decent persona for that fight or is it just survive\wipe his buffs away until you squeak out a victory? I can't fuse the Yoshitune but I can do maybe 1 or 2 charged God Hands before he just annihilates my team (Makoto\Haru\Ryuji)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Uh, are you sure you mean the 1st form melts to Phys attacks? That form Repels Phys and will actively make your party enraged to take advantage of that.

That said, if you want to make Phase 2 easier, note that it's a winged enemy. Winged enemies in this game tend to be weak to Gun, so Haru can do some incredible damage that round. Anyway, you should be able to fuse Trumpeter for the fight. It's L65 and if you're not at that level, either grind it out or max the Strength S Link so you can fuse it for a cost. You'll also need to be at Strength 5 to get the special fusion option for it. Trumpeter has Debilitate, so if you can keep Samael super debuffed, along with a healthy dose of Marakukaja from Makoto as needed, you'll have a much better chance of surviving.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I used lots of buffs to survive that fight with your exact team. Masukukaja (as well as Makoto's Marakukaja) is a godsend.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

ChaosArgate posted:

Uh, are you sure you mean the 1st form melts to Phys attacks? That form Repels Phys and will actively make your party enraged to take advantage of that.

That said, if you want to make Phase 2 easier, note that it's a winged enemy. Winged enemies in this game tend to be weak to Gun, so Haru can do some incredible damage that round. Anyway, you should be able to fuse Trumpeter for the fight. It's L65 and if you're not at that level, either grind it out or max the Strength S Link so you can fuse it for a cost. You'll also need to be at Strength 5 to get the special fusion option for it. Trumpeter has Debilitate, so if you can keep Samael super debuffed, along with a healthy dose of Marakukaja from Makoto as needed, you'll have a much better chance of surviving.

Misunderstanding on what each form is I suppose. I count the 1st form as any part of the Lion fight. 2nd Form is Samael by himself. I might just need to grind a tiny bit as I have Trumpeter but his next skill is Debilitate. I was super dumb in choosing skills so if Makoto doesn't have Marakukaja, I'll find a way to get it. I do have max Strength link cause I summoned Raphael thinking he'd help a bit. Zaou-Gongen is a drat beast but I guess the debuffs mean more this time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

Misunderstanding on what each form is I suppose. I count the 1st form as any part of the Lion fight. 2nd Form is Samael by himself. I might just need to grind a tiny bit as I have Trumpeter but his next skill is Debilitate. I was super dumb in choosing skills so if Makoto doesn't have Marakukaja, I'll find a way to get it. I do have max Strength link cause I summoned Raphael thinking he'd help a bit. Zaou-Gongen is a drat beast but I guess the debuffs mean more this time.

Makoto gets Marakukaja at 48, so if you don't have it, you're gonna need to either fuse a Persona with it for yourself, or back out of the dungeon (I hope you made a save before the calling card) and invite her to the confession booth at Kanda. Leveling Trumpeter is easy though, just throw something at it with the Gallows so that it gets enough Exp to level up. Buffs and Debuffs will make or break your fights in SMT games, so once you can reliably apply them, you should always do so.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Once you get past the gold lion forms, he mostly uses strong physical attacks but isn't physical - repel anymore. This is one of the fights where it's pretty fun to have a Physical repel persona on Joker and have Haru slap Tetrakarn on everyone, so when he does a really powerful physical attack it will take out a big chunk of his health instead of harming you. But that might just be my silly strategy, naturally it consumes a lot of SP for Haru
As far as his very last form's super attack, he will use it twice in the fight (on the turn after he goes below 50% health, and then after he goes below 25% health) so be mindful of that and have everyone healed and guard on those turns. If you are using tetrakarn a lot as I was then you may need to be a bit more careful since the damage from his attacks being reflected can put you into the 50% / 25% threshold before you are really prepared.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I beat that fight with a level ~54 Seth with Repel Phys shoved on him and everyone spamming Ma- buffs and debuffs. Went pretty well in the end.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I just need a 3rd play through to get platinum but have forced myself not to play the game for a few months instead actually finishing Witcher 3 and Hitman.

I unfortunately have missed a few persona combinations and there's no way I can make them without playing through again.

So book reading, video games and persona's on a merciless playthrough !

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

CordlessPen posted:

I really hope the game clicks like that with me eventually...

Quoting myself to say that it did, just in case any new player was wondering. Once you get actual, full access to the first palace (for me it was about 5-6 hours in...), the game really opens up. I'm actually sort of glad that it drip-fed me all the mechanics at first because it already is kind of overwhelming when you get access to the palace and velvet room and all the activities and confidants and you realize that your MC is the slowest guy in the world.

Seriously, 3 lockpicks and my Sunday's gone?

I'm also a bit irked because I left the palace at the last safe room because I was literally out of SP, only to find out when I got back that I had a straight line to the treasure room and that I was forced to leave at that point anyway, so I wasted a day.

I'm really starting to love this game now.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

CordlessPen posted:

Quoting myself to say that it did, just in case any new player was wondering. Once you get actual, full access to the first palace (for me it was about 5-6 hours in...), the game really opens up. I'm actually sort of glad that it drip-fed me all the mechanics at first because it already is kind of overwhelming when you get access to the palace and velvet room and all the activities and confidants and you realize that your MC is the slowest guy in the world.

I'm also a bit irked because I left the palace at the last safe room because I was literally out of SP, only to find out when I got back that I had a straight line to the treasure room and that I was forced to leave at that point anyway, so I wasted a day.

You can spend an entire evening filling out a single clue on a crossword puzzle in this game. Maybe even an entire day

e: Save the tool making for evenings, and later on in the game you can get some means to help get this kind of stuff done while doing other things like confidants at the same time.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 1, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah sometimes you're better off just having a peek ahead to see if there are any more enemies. I just finished the 2nd Palace and managed to do it in a single game-day (although 2 actual days) even though I was seriously scraping by with SP at the end and ran out of SP recovery items.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
To be fair a lot of people do this on the first dungeon since it's before you learn exactly how dungeons work in this game.
You can't actually do the 2nd palace in one day because of the thing with having to open Madarame's door
I've had a lot of palaces which took longer in real days than game days.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's especially bad coming off of Persona 4, too, where you really could just blitz through dungeons with one calendar day. I'm sure a good chunk of players got up to the final safe room, quit out, then came back the next day and found out they had to leave the palace again and waste a day.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Just started this on PS3, p excited but I think I'm still in the startgame (only a few hours in).

Got any protips (other than the OP) for someone just starting who is a completionist?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you want to have the best experience on your first run don't try to see everything, just prioritize what seems the most interesting or useful.

If you're still dead-set on being a completionist I'd follow a guide.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Don't bother buying new weapons, that money is much better spent on something else and the weapons you find as you explore palaces and Mementos will be good enough for the rare occasion you decide to just use the Attack command.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

CordlessPen posted:

In case you didn't know, you can make infiltration tools on the night before you send the calling card, it's the only thing you can do aside from sleeping.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Firebert posted:

In case you didn't know, you can make infiltration tools on the night before you send the calling card, it's the only thing you can do aside from sleeping.

You can make coffee too! :eng101: Maybe curry too, but that might depend on ingredient availability.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Always have a persona in your inventory of the matching arcana when you're hanging out with somebody. It's in the OP but it's worth repeating because it shaves off like 1/3rd of the necessary time to level up your friendship points.

Grind out your stats in ways it makes sense. Some confidants give stat points: do those! On some days an activity gives you more of a stat point than on others: do the activity then rather than on another day of the week! Etc. The time management in this is really easy if you just pay a little bit of attention and make sure you don't waste every day by studying in your room for +1 knowledge over and over again.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Just started this on PS3, p excited but I think I'm still in the startgame (only a few hours in).

Got any protips (other than the OP) for someone just starting who is a completionist?

Money is the great limiter early on. Confuse minibosses in mementos for money. Abuse temperance as much as possible, get death to rank 7 as quickly as possible, abuse fortune every day you can once it opens up.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

Always have a persona in your inventory of the matching arcana when you're hanging out with somebody. It's in the OP but it's worth repeating because it shaves off like 1/3rd of the necessary time to level up your friendship points.
I keep forgetting this but it's very useful. I remembered yesterday and fused a Mokai before going to the Clinic to advance that Confidant.

ChaosArgate posted:

Don't bother buying new weapons, that money is much better spent on something else and the weapons you find as you explore palaces and Mementos will be good enough for the rare occasion you decide to just use the Attack command.
Is this true of guns also? I feel like buying melee weapons is less effective than e.g. armour, since your Attack is going to improve anyway with better Phys skills. I suppose with guns you're mainly going to be using them to hit weak points anyway, so damage doesn't really matter.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
A weapon's attack power only matters for normal, non-persona assisted physical attacks. When persona abilities do damage, they have their own attack power that works on the same formula as weapon attacks, except of course you don't get to see the exact value. And the game is balanced so the attack-abilities you're learning are almost always gonna do more damage than whatever weapons are available at the time :eng101:

E: Guns really don't matter apart from accuracy and passive bonuses - since ammo is so incredibly limited, you're never really using them for raw damage. But then you have the gun you get from putting Michael in the electric chair, that raises ALL of Makoto's stats by 10 each, and it's like, okay, maybe guns are pretty cool after all

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 1, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Is there any way of getting closer to Takemi without burning a day? Or do some of her Ranks just take more than 1 time to progress?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Some ranks need extra time to advance. You can use Fortune rank 7's bonus to help with that slightly, but it might not be enough.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It's a pretty early rank though, I'm only 3 with her right now. I had a Death Persona when I progressed to that too, and there's not really any questions to answer are there?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
She will always be unavailable for a day or so after a rank up because she's "analyzing the data", it's likely a deliberate pacing thing since it's one of the earliest / easiest confidants.
There are questions to answer though
I don't think you should be at the point where you are getting generic "I don't think my relationship will deepen yet" type meetings, but if you do then you can give her the cactus from the flower shop in Shibuya underground mall or the classical music CD.

For the first time tips guy I would say confusing bosses in mementos is something of an exploit but you should be asking for money from demons before nearly every all-out attack once you unlock the Sun confidant.
Money is still scarce in the game so I generally prioritized medicine and protectors / accessories. Melee weapons are a lower priority since you should be using Persona skills 90% of the time instead of regular attacks. But they do affect the damage dealt by all-out attacks. Guns should be last priority since they are mostly used for hitting weaknesses.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Persona 5 dancing star night and persona 3 dancing moon night announced

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

And Persona Q 2, with a cartoony Phantom Thieves logo.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0INh3MYkeiI

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Oh God, you're not kidding.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Both PS4 and Vita? Sign me up. Vitas are still pretty expensive so it's nice that it's coming out on something I already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ten more years of Persona 5