Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

how did he not talk to literally anyone else? He was on the same flight with akke as well. He just assumed everything would be fine if he said he was going to work an event lol.

I think it's pretty insane to expect your talent to lie to customs agents. It's even more insane to expect such a thing without informing them of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Can't wait for TI8 when another visa related issue prevents someone from attending.

GEE if only Valve weren't incompetent.

(Hand holding pros is the only route because they're all loving dumb man babies)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheRat posted:

I think it's pretty insane to expect your talent to lie to customs agents. It's even more insane to expect such a thing without informing them of it.

except literally everyone else did it, so no its not that insane.

Bulldog didn't even look into his own visa at all either, he literally had no idea and assumed everything was fine. Never assume poo poo you need to absolutely know what the gently caress you got when you're travelling.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

TheRat posted:

Seems weird to be responsible for over 100+ people's visa's and passports.

Valve: "Hey, do you want to come to TI and be an analyst? We'll pay you $5,000."
BD: "Absolutely, I'll be there!"
Valve: "Cool. Be sure to get your passport and visa figured out."
BD: "Oops"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

Valve: "Hey, do you want to come to TI and be an analyst? We'll pay you $5,000."

Please don't expect dota pros or people otherwise relayed to pro-dota to do anything on their own

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

RisqueBarber posted:

As soon as esports become accepted enough to require P visas, valve will literally be forced to be responsible for visa applications for their events, so no it's not weird at all actually.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

RisqueBarber posted:

Thing is, they didn't do this part, even though he sent them a copy of his visa and passport.

quote:

I got contacted by valve(pgl) if I wanted to be part of ti7 and I of course said yes. Soon after that they asked me for passport and visa information which i provided,I have a b1/b2 visa. It's for tourism and business, which I didn't think much of I'm kinda there to do business? I should probably looked into more myself but I heard nothing more from valve or pgl so I assumed they reviewed it and thought it's all good.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Valve to have someone on staff to figure this poo poo out for the talent they're flying in. "Lol just show up with a tourist visa" is some hilarious poo poo.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

TheRat posted:

Thing is, they didn't do this part, even though he sent them a copy of his visa and passport.

So he sent it to PGL, they said nothing, and he got denied. At any point during the process Bulldog could have followed up with PGL, done his own research, or called to confirm with the US government that he'll get in. He did zero work and got denied. Take responsibility for that poo poo. It's literally your job.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just a reminder that literally everyone else working as talent was able to get through customs including the russian and chinese talent, but Bulldog literally needs his hand to be held the entire way through.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Pretty sure all the other foreign talent have previous experience with traveling to the US for work

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Can TI start already this visa chitchat is stupid as hell.

Bulldog was unlucky and got the mean customs officer and/or acted like a righteous child.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Just a reminder that literally everyone else working as talent was able to get through customs including the russian and chinese talent, but Bulldog literally needs his hand to be held the entire way through.

just a reminder that valve is going to make a quite frankly absurd amount of money from this even and they couldn't even be arsed to spend 15 seconds on writing their prospective employees an email to tell them "by the way we usually skirt the law so just say you're going on vacation"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
who cares.

There are 288 group stage games being played in the next four days!!!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

botany posted:

just a reminder that valve is going to make a quite frankly absurd amount of money from this even and they couldn't even be arsed to spend 15 seconds on writing their prospective employees an email to tell them "by the way we usually skirt the law so just say you're going on vacation"

Idc about bulldog lol

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Planet Odd is done

https://twitter.com/PlanetOddEsport/status/892392723508056064

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
mousesports would have had the dignity to wait until after the event

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

lmao they were planet odd for like a month. shoulda stayed with sunsfan.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Sunsfan actually got kicked from DC by his business partner before they left DC.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Idc about bulldog lol

i don't give a poo poo about bulldog either but your knee-jerk defense of a massive company annoys me. valve had visa issues for years, and have apparently been bending the law for just as long. all the while they make millions of dollars off the people who work 18 hour shifts for them. you'd think in all that time, somebody would have had the idea to make a valve lawyer sit down and draft a three page document that goes: "you've been hired by valve to work an event, congrats! here's what type of visa you need, and here's what you need to do to get it. please make sure you follow these steps to ensure that everything works out"

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Martian Manfucker posted:

lmao they were planet odd for like a month. shoulda stayed with sunsfan.

Sunsfan also left DC. Probably sold it for a healthy chunk of change so he could go back to managing his boring YouTube empire.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

botany posted:

i don't give a poo poo about bulldog either but your knee-jerk defense of a massive company annoys me. valve had visa issues for years, and have apparently been bending the law for just as long. all the while they make millions of dollars off the people who work 18 hour shifts for them. you'd think in all that time, somebody would have had the idea to make a valve lawyer sit down and draft a three page document that goes: "you've been hired by valve to work an event, congrats! here's what type of visa you need, and here's what you need to do to get it. please make sure you follow these steps to ensure that everything works out"

I'm not defending valve I'm saying bulldog also hosed up too. And imo if everyone else gets in fine too you should ask them since valve is historically known for awful communication.

Bulldog was just not in the know about what to say at all at customs since this is his first event working as talent. When he was on alliance he had a manager help with that but now he's on his own and he hosed it up. Imo the problem lies with both of them and the miscommunication. But again idc

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

When he was on Alliance he wasnt working for Valve. The visa rules are different

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I guess we'll just have to someone else screaming "kappa" on the desk

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
You know who doesn't need a visa to get to Seattle?

Kotlguy :smugdog:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

not to rain on the valve hate parade but even if you work as a software engineer for a large company like microsoft/google/apple/etc. you'll be very specifically instructed to lie at the boarder by their immigration lawyers. basically everything to do with getting into another country for work reasons is, at best, extremely stretching the truth.

not too sure about them using tourist visas though, seems like there should be a different category of visa that someone giving a talk or something like that (and being compensated for their time) would use, but maybe its only granted if you're actually famous or whatever and the boarder people don't accept your twitter follower count as proof. idk.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

botany posted:

okay i have a way to verify that, turns out H1B visa sponsorships by US companies are public record and valve hasn't sponsored any players or any talents, which means none of them came in with a work visa. jesus loving christ

http://h1bdata.info/listlca.php?em=Valve%20Corporation

Edit: Radical is right too, at least about Apple. When I worked there it was an open secret that you said what you needed to say to get into a country for work. Its insane, and people at Apple certainly lost their jobs because they told the truth. Its a lovely system that encourages lying, but its not unreasonable for one in a hundred people to not understand the need to lie and get hosed.

Its a lovely situation, its mostly the visa systems fault with some fault on valve and bulldog. I will be honest, I was really looking forward to bulldog on the desk, so I am a bit sad.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 1, 2017

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
With Valve making boatloads of cash off of TI, wouldn't it seem prudent for the in house lawyers to try and sort out visa issues so they aren't slapped with a 69 million dollar fine.

Seems to be the perfect end goal for libertarians.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
get the players in on a B-1 (athlete playing for prize money only), and all future TIs will be 100% American talent

host: zyori
panel: ixmike, ritsu, fluffnstuff, and swindle

every game cast by maut and ryuuboruz

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Majuju posted:

get the players in on a B-1 (athlete playing for prize money only), and all future TIs will be 100% American talent

host: zyori
panel: ixmike, ritsu, fluffnstuff, and swindle

every game cast by maut and ryuuboruz

i legit just shuddered in revulsion irl

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/JJLiebig/status/892417459734663169

truly, visas/customs are a well-oiled machine with no margin of error

more on that:

https://twitter.com/Phillip_Aram/status/892410869836955653

there's no single blame target here, could bulldog have pulled it off with the right knowledge of what to say? Maybe, depends on the agent(s) he has to deal with. Could Valve have tried to specify what he should say? Yeah, but it's still not guaranteed. Should US Customs/Visas be more well-thought-out for modern occupations? Yeah, but good luck getting political will behind that

emdash fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 1, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The only fault is that the law sucks and Bulldog caught an agent who was feeling particularly picky that day.

I've traveled to Canada on business from the US quite a few times (which should be super loving easy given NAFTA and all) and half the time it involves 'I shouldn't technically let you in, but..' even after talking to immigration lawyers and whatnot beforehand to get the proper documentation. If every border person applied the law literally to everyone then I guess it would probably eventually get changed since tons of business travel would shut down.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I'm glad we had our yearly TI visa fuckup. It was looking like a close thing with all the players getting theirs this year.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Xtanstic posted:

I'm glad we had our yearly TI visa fuckup. It was looking like a close thing with all the players getting theirs this year.

there's still a problem there. Chappie doesn't have his passport

https://twitter.com/wykrhm/status/892184947154341889

e: oh this was already posted, pardon me

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

botany posted:

i don't give a poo poo about bulldog either

(spends hours talking about bulldogs situation)

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 1, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How did he not already have a passport playing for Empire anyway?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Valve told him he didn't need a passport for international travel so he threw it into the garbage can

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

he got the visa but they accidentally kept his passport when they sent his stuff over. So now he's waiting for his passport to get mailed to him.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

he got the visa but they accidentally kept his passport when they sent his stuff over. So now he's waiting for his passport to get mailed to him.

But why didn't Valve sort that all out for him? They're making millions off this tournament, couldn't they have just hired a courier to do it right away? :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ok that's actually kind of funny and also completely invalidates my possible fake outrage complaint of a sub being allowed

• Locked thread