Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bird food bathtub posted:

Do any cars still come with crank/chain windows, is that still a thing? I swear power windows are a scam with some kind of programmed self destruct interval on every single moving part.

Some. My Jeep has manual locks/windows, and that's what I wanted.

Ok, so...what is that?

McNally posted:

I got an email and text from USAA one day saying that my password had changed. Well, that wasn't me. So I called USAA, verified my identify, and while we were going through the process the person on the other end of the phone was all "oh, looks like whoever changed your password is on the phone with us too."

What the poo poo.

Did they do anything, or just upsell your insurance coverage through him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I remembered some of you were model nerds

http://www.finescale.com/product-info/kit-reviews/2011/12/meng-135-scale-technical

just found some syrian kits

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

they're not models they're miniatures for my game of war crime simulator 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

they're not models they're miniatures for my game of war crime simulator 2017

I'm gonna need a shitload of orange paint for the jumpsuits

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

lol if you're using paint for your dystopian future miniature collection. All I need is ash

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

lol if you're using paint for your dystopian future miniature collection. All I need is ash

chrome

you forgot about the shiny and chrome.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Had to have a real conversation with a guy who didn't quite understand that no my guys are not electricians and they will not be addressing power problems in your building no wires are not all the same seriously theyre not

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Had to have a real conversation with a guy who didn't quite understand that no my guys are not electricians and they will not be addressing power problems in your building no wires are not all the same seriously theyre not

This was, at one point, a surprisingly common request of me as an IT guy. Now, it doesn't surprise me any more just kinda depresses/irritates me. It really is that same logic, "You work with wires, fix it!"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I learned a ton about grounding because the electricians couldn't be bothered to do it and we couldn't keep having poo poo go down every time we had an electrical storm. It made for some nice quiet projects too. Nobody bothered me while I did them, I could listen to audiobooks...

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

I learned a ton about grounding because the electricians couldn't be bothered to do it and we couldn't keep having poo poo go down every time we had an electrical storm. It made for some nice quiet projects too. Nobody bothered me while I did them, I could listen to audiobooks...

grover alt spotted

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Anybody here cut cable before? I broadcast and sports fees for comcast went up again this month and I'm tired of throwing money down the TV hole. Very tempted to go internet only.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Anybody here cut cable before? I broadcast and sports fees for comcast went up again this month and I'm tired of throwing money down the TV hole. Very tempted to go internet only.

what television channels do you want to keep?

playstation vue was a much cheaper option than cable and you can cancel anytime (which i did this month because there's nothing to watch on TV in august worth paying for). you don't need a playstation to get it, and it had all the channels that i care to watch if i watch television.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I already have a PS4 and use it for Hulu/Netflix/Amazon/Plex. Any TV shows I want to watch I acquire. The only TV channel I watch is Food Network and that's just because my wife will put it on for a half hour every day. I'm pretty much ready to do this.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You'll be just fine. I've been without cable for the past two years. The only minor inconvenience it poses is with football season, but I get games with Verizon and there's the internet, also.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i don't miss tv at all. i thought it would be one of those "you won't know what you have until it's gone" situations but nope.

only reason i had directv was because sunday ticket was free on sign up. i paid a few months ago to break my contract because i was never using it.

after this last season of better call saul ended (the ONLY thing i watch on tv) i cancelled everything because i just don't ever watch it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

You'll be just fine. I've been without cable for the past two years. The only minor inconvenience it poses is with football season, but I get games with Verizon and there's the internet, also.

if you're a student or have a student email, directv offers a streaming service for sunday ticket that last year was $99 spread out over three or four months. the payment structure is like netflix instead of cable, meaning if you don't pay it, it just cancels and you don't owe anything. you don't need a directv account to use it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I just realized I haven't touched my cable in the last 6 months. I guess it is time to drop it for Internet only.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

Did they do anything, or just upsell your insurance coverage through him?

I was in my email when the notification came in, so I literally called USAA and got everything locked down before they had a chance to do anything.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TBeats posted:

grover alt spotted
I stuck to grounding our equipment and bonding cable trays. I'm not trying to go out burned to death in an electrical fire.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Haven't had cable in four years or so. Don't miss it. Netflix or Prime covers most stuff I want to watch, everything else just takes a few more days to get.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Godholio posted:

Ok, so...what is that?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3146403,-117.3684125,18z/data=!3m1!1e3

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Any real reason to switch from comcast internet to FIOS or something else? i'd hop on Google Fiber but I'm just far enough from SF for it to be unavailable. :negative:

e: I am interested in fiber internet in general

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Any real reason to switch from comcast internet to FIOS or something else? i'd hop on Google Fiber but I'm just far enough from SF for it to be unavailable. :negative:

yes. in my scientific study, this is the reason why:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
FiOS is pretty good compared to everything else I've used, and it's a no-brainer if you like playing internet shootymans. I'd hop on the fiber train regardless. It's just a much more pleasant experience than cable.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
poo poo, I have DSL and live alone so it's plenty for me. Cable internet would be nice, but Comcast can eat the inside corner of my rear end in a top hat with a rusty spoon.

Sling.tv is alright. Food Network, travel channel, cartoon network and 20 odd more channels for $20/mo. I like having some channels for background noise while I sleep or just to space out, it's nice having adult swim again.

The resolution goes to poo poo real quick if there's anything on with high demand. It's still a severely flawed service, but hard to beat for the price.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I just realized I haven't really watched cable tv in my home for ten years this past July. That was when I figure out I could hook up the S-Video out of my graphics card to my TV. two years later I got my first HDMI capable TV, which was yet another game changer. Now poo poo's all WiFi and casting.

It helps if you're from a non-anglophone country with the shittiest dubbing industry on the planet.

Once you go original English version in basically anything, be it movies, tv shows or even books, you can't really go back. And we're still in the stone age regarding availability of content in English in twenty loving seventeen, so you can imagine how easy it is to ditch TV altogether.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Think The Wire.

Okay.

Now think The Wire in German.

"Neger bitte."

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Think The Wire.

Okay.

Now think The Wire in German.

"Neger bitte."

Scheeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiße

Was zum Teufel habe ich gemacht?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

We cut cable last year and it's been pretty great. But thinking about going back to satellite because Comcast has us on a 1Tb usage plan now, and it gets expensive when you go over.

God I wish I could get fiber...

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Two Finger posted:

It's basically undrinkable by anyone that wasn't raised on it - ie australians.

Out of all the Aussie beers I tried while I lived there, XXXX bitter was the one I liked best.

Then again I also cannot stand most American domestic beers so maybe I was born in the wrong place.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Got rid of cable over a year ago and haven't really missed it. Netflix and prime handles most my stuff, and I do HBO Now for game of thrones when it comes out. I did buy the last season of walking dead but I don't plan on doing that again-too much for just one show, where with HBO Now I'm going through west world and some movies while I have it.

Only thing I miss is having background noise when I'm in the living room, but I bought an antenna for my HDTV and that at least gets some local stations, so most of the time I can have the news on in the background.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only reason I have cable still is because it's cheaper to have it with my internet package than to have my internet package alone.

Yeah, they do that with phone stuff usually, but I guess they're desperate enough to do it with cable sometimes too?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
ditched cable 2 years ago, gently caress if im paying that much while i watch 6 channels.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I wonder about my streaming services sometimes as well. I put together a decent stereo earlier this year and now I mostly listen to music.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Scheeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiße

Was zum Teufel habe ich gemacht?

Heh, second line took me a while.

Look at this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaqxE0NsCyM

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Find me the gently caress scene in German. You know the one.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Find me the gently caress scene in German. You know the one.

The scene was so loving good that they barely fuckin touched it.

https://youtu.be/hHsD3K_Kn8Y

Kind of a letdown though, gently caress.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Speaking of German things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBpsZYwjsk8

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Started Stranger things, no idea what to expect, but I feel like I heard so much praise, so I'm kinda excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's really good

• Locked thread