Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I am not saying I am good at morphing either. If you guys have any tips about that I'd love to hear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I mean, if you trap the phone and the car battery / gas - I don't see how you don't go 6/8 at minimum.

Do you have trouble catching people, finding them?
Pocket knives and players clever enough to use them do exist. Always an unpleasant surprise when you've properly trapped an escape route and your first notification that anyone's loving with it is the activation noise and possibly a 5 minute clock. Traps or no traps, I just basically assume that anyone I don't see is at a car trying to get it fixed; it's a pretty safe bet, really.

On the other topic, yeah, 2,000 players isn't a bad number at all and the graph's been quite flat. The number staying steady is more important than what the number is, in my opinion. With that said, Gun is playing russian roulette right now with how they're handling poo poo. The home run and items falling through the ground glitches should have been fixed weeks ago, and if it's not that simple, they should have said so, just to reassure players that they're still supporting the game and working on improving it. Honestly the complete radio silence is the biggest problem. Are you working on bug fixes? New content? Both? If so, why aren't you telling people about it? Why did you let "Friday the 13th has been abandoned so they can work on that number game" become a credible rumor at all?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i backed this game, i love this game, but im getting tired of this game a little bit. have the devs said anything about new content coming anywhere? like even offhand "we are working on something" comments

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Kelp Plankton posted:

i backed this game, i love this game, but im getting tired of this game a little bit. have the devs said anything about new content coming anywhere? like even offhand "we are working on something" comments
Goddamn man it's like you saw me writing my post and we planned this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They did hint at some stuff occurring on this year's Friday the 13th in October, which is now only a few months away.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

...and the pitch! posted:

I have never shifted up to someone and then successfully grabbed them.

I was also playing random Jason which is an uh uneven experience. I am trying to settle on one.

Don't play Jason II or VII then, the slow shift is a dealbreaker for many. Jason IX may be a good choice due to his increased shift speed. As people mentioned earlier, you need to anticipate the running trajectory of the counselors and then grab them. If you shift up, they will be out of range once you try to grab.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most decent counselors know when you are shifting. Morph - shifting is very effective, as the audio cue of Jason suddenly getting closer is what tips them off 90% of the time.

If you're still having trouble, try rolling Jason 3 and use him to exhaust the counselors. Use your shift to cut them off from the next cabin window and get them low stam out in the open. Once they are, LMB them to death or make them wounded and then try your grab kills.

Don't waste time with a Vanessa, Bugzy, Chad, or Tiffany early game. Their high speed and/or stamina make it very easy for them to escape you - and their low repair make them less of a threat as the game progresses. Take out those LaChappas as a priority, then Deb, then AJ/Adam.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

I am not saying I am good at morphing either. If you guys have any tips about that I'd love to hear them.

Save your morph for when you hear your traps go off or to cut a counselor off that you are fairly certain you can kill.

When the car is moving, do not morph on top of it, aim up the road a bit, then Stalk-shift right into them. They won't ever see it coming.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I use morph when dudes are running away and it's obvious where they're going. Like if they're leaving Packanack to go up the hill, you know they're going to that lone big cabin, morph up there and run down to meet them. I get a lot of counselors to exhaust their stamina that way.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Save your morph for when you hear your traps go off or to cut a counselor off that you are fairly certain you can kill.

When the car is moving, do not morph on top of it, aim up the road a bit, then Stalk-shift right into them. They won't ever see it coming.

Thanks for typing all of that out. I am trying to absorb it.

I never hear my traps going off. Adrenaline probably.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Thanks for typing all of that out. I am trying to absorb it.

I never hear my traps going off. Adrenaline probably.
You gotta listen for that stuff, man. You get audio cues of traps going off and screwed up repairs and you need to hear those because as soon as you hear one, you need to drop whatever else you're doing and teleport over.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Also add me on PS4, my usual crew is dissolving. PSN: GremLegend

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm absolutely guilty of getting too full of juice* as Jason and missing audio cues while swinging wildly at some nerd in a flannel shirt

*booze

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

You gotta listen for that stuff, man. You get audio cues of traps going off and screwed up repairs and you need to hear those because as soon as you hear one, you need to drop whatever else you're doing and teleport over.

I gotta save my morph until I hear something. Be smart with morph. This is what I am hearing. I gotta work on that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I gotta save my morph until I hear something. Be smart with morph. This is what I am hearing. I gotta work on that.

Yea, see my post on the last page about how I morphed back to the car on at least 4 separate occasions and caught this guy trying to install the battery every single time. There's a lot of characters who don't have much of a chance of repairing poo poo without setting off an alarm at least once, so you have to use that to your advantage or they'll be escaping in the car every single game.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yeah, this is my biggest issue. I get lazy and use morph to move around the map too much instead of walking or shifting and then someone gets a car put together while I'm waiting on the cooldown.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
And once you morph to the car/boat/fusebox, if you see someone still in the repairing animations, you can chuck a throwing knife at them to interrupt them. I would say you have a better chance of doing this on Vanessa, Bugzy, Chad, or Tiffany. AJ/Deb/LaChap/Tommy tend to be finished with the repair by the time you morph and orient yourself, so it's better to just close the distance for a grab or at the least a good chase, because you want those sneakies dead sooner rather than later.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I thought they had finally patched this game on xbox? Still getting thrown into empty lobbies a lot

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Another tip as a counselor is that you'll get a small cue that Jason is Shifting in on you because the camera will pull closer to your character.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Bootcha posted:

And once you morph to the car/boat/fusebox, if you see someone still in the repairing animations, you can chuck a throwing knife at them to interrupt them. I would say you have a better chance of doing this on Vanessa, Bugzy, Chad, or Tiffany. AJ/Deb/LaChap/Tommy tend to be finished with the repair by the time you morph and orient yourself, so it's better to just close the distance for a grab or at the least a good chase, because you want those sneakies dead sooner rather than later.

Never attempt to throw a knife over the corner of a car. It'll never hit.

I hate cars as Jason so much.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Ghostpilot posted:

Another tip as a counselor is that you'll get a small cue that Jason is Shifting in on you because the camera will pull closer to your character.

"NO! Please!!"

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Jetamo posted:

Never attempt to throw a knife over the corner of a car. It'll never hit.

I hate cars as Jason so much.

I throw knives at cars all the time and I never have a problem hitting them.

Except the knives do nothing to cars.

I only do it because I'm frustrated that the car got past me.

Again.

:smith:

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Playing in a group of 6 and some pubbie is a jerk in lobby. Not a big jerk but I still decided we should kill him. I wind up as Jason and begin the game morphing around asking where he is, explaining my only mission is to kill him first. Finally I find him with his buddy and he knows what he's doing but I make short work of him anyways and return to playing normally.

He sticks around. I warn him of my mission in life but his buddy is Jason and I am killed first. But wait, I return as Tommy! A car is leaving but I turn down their offer of escape because I must pursue the mission. I find him climbing out a window, raise my shotgun and pull before he can say anything. I am resigned to my fate for the mission was a success.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So while we're on the topic of Pro Jason Tips, anyone got any for actually guarding the drat boat? Traps seem useless, since you can't put them on the dock itself in an actual position to block fixing the boat, just where the ground and the dock meet, and they're trivial to walk around there. It only needs two parts to get operational again, and if there's a "motor started" audio cue for it like there is for the car, I've never noticed it. When I see a boat as Jason I just get resigned that two people are gonna get away, but I've been caught out enough times as a counselor that clearly there is a way to be on top of it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

So while we're on the topic of Pro Jason Tips, anyone got any for actually guarding the drat boat? Traps seem useless, since you can't put them on the dock itself in an actual position to block fixing the boat, just where the ground and the dock meet, and they're trivial to walk around there. It only needs two parts to get operational again, and if there's a "motor started" audio cue for it like there is for the car, I've never noticed it. When I see a boat as Jason I just get resigned that two people are gonna get away, but I've been caught out enough times as a counselor that clearly there is a way to be on top of it.

Well you can hear if someone's fixing it and fucks up. The propeller especially makes a loud rear end noise. if they've already started it and you're a slow swimmer the best option is to warp to the end and catch them coming at you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Well you can hear if someone's fixing it and fucks up. The propeller especially makes a loud rear end noise. if they've already started it and you're a slow swimmer the best option is to warp to the end and catch them coming at you.
Sure, if they gently caress up I can get 'em. The problem is that if they start it without fuckups, I don't know that it's been started and let them leave unchallenged, and I don't know how to be alerted other than compulsive map-checking.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

CapnAndy posted:

Stalk, morph into the water near it while it's being fixed. Swim over to it, wait for people to get in, then tip it over.

I love doing this. :unsmigghh:

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

Hit m every so often and look for boat movement. If you actually catch them trying to leave they're done for.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

CapnAndy posted:

Sure, if they gently caress up I can get 'em. The problem is that if they start it without fuckups, I don't know that it's been started and let them leave unchallenged, and I don't know how to be alerted other than compulsive map-checking.

Be checking your map every so often if the boat has spawned. A quick tap of "m" and back is enough.

Since the boat only seats two, and a decent Jason that catches that it's started means instant counselor death, it's the ultimate risk/reward option for counselor players.

Plus, unlike cars, a stopped boat in the middle of the lake is 99 percent of the time an escape route that is effectively taken out of the game. It's supposed to be difficult for Jason to know the boat is in action for that very reason.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I typically just ignore the boat, and if a counselor can fix it without tipping me off then more power to them. Sure, if I see it start to move I'll Morph over there but it's not in my normal rotation where I feel like I need to maintain a regular presence around it to deter the counselors. I've rarely had to pay for that strategy, counselors tend to focus much more on the cars.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Basebf555 posted:

I typically just ignore the boat, and if a counselor can fix it without tipping me off then more power to them. Sure, if I see it start to move I'll Morph over there but it's not in my normal rotation where I feel like I need to maintain a regular presence around it to deter the counselors. I've rarely had to pay for that strategy, counselors tend to focus much more on the cars.

I go for the boat a lot as a counselor because it only takes 2 parts and you can pull off nutty 2-minute escapes if the cards fall just right.

It's a HUGE gamble though, especially in pubbie games because the other counselors are very, very liable to just straight up tell Jason to check his map for the boat in order to get him off them, and most pubbie Jason's I've seen will go for it every single time no matter what else is happening. Like I've literally seen Jason go to the boat while four other counselors immediately got in the car and drove off. There's some kind of weird compulsion there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ComposerGuy posted:

I go for the boat a lot as a counselor because it only takes 2 parts and you can pull off nutty 2-minute escapes if the cards fall just right.

It's a HUGE gamble though, especially in pubbie games because the other counselors are very, very liable to just straight up tell Jason to check his map for the boat in order to get him off them, and most pubbie Jason's I've seen will go for it every single time no matter what else is happening. Like I've literally seen Jason go to the boat while four other counselors immediately got in the car and drove off. There's some kind of weird compulsion there.

Yea, see to me one or even two people potentially getting away in the boat doesn't bother me. If I lock down the phone and the car I'm still gonna get my 6/8. It's less about the numbers for me and more about whether or not I was a proper Jason for the counselors to be afraid of. Six out of eight still feels like something that would happen in a Friday the 13th movie.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The other thing is that the boat is frequently further away from houses than other objectives. If the car and phone are quiet I can can generally find a counselor with a part making their way over. Which means fewer houses to hide in and possibly a part dropped in the middle of nowhere.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I know as Jason i get excited when it comes to interacting with the boat since it means getting to kill people in the water which is pretty rare otherwise.

On another subject, what's the best way to play the high strength characters? I have Adam set up to do more stun damage with weapons in general and more stun damage with the baseball bat, so it really as simple just trying to find Jason and knock him around a little bit? Or is suppose to be more nuanced than that?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I know as Jason i get excited when it comes to interacting with the boat since it means getting to kill people in the water which is pretty rare otherwise.

On another subject, what's the best way to play the high strength characters? I have Adam set up to do more stun damage with weapons in general and more stun damage with the baseball bat, so it really as simple just trying to find Jason and knock him around a little bit? Or is suppose to be more nuanced than that?

as always, the real answer kind of depends. even with a full load of combat perks, a counselor really has no chance at all against jason one on one. a baseball bat is ideal, yes, but you probably should not go try to find jason as he will still pop you like a ripe grape. counselors do best blindsiding jason around corners, through doorways, from behind, etc. and in general you should only be trying to attack him to open up an opportunity to run away, complete an objective, or save a friend. knocking his mask off is a completely separate thing, you want raw combat damage for that (in which case you're looking for an axe or machete, not a bat).

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Having higher stun chance is kind of pointless with high damage characters since they already have a higher stun chance than low damage ones and having a bat is already a 100% chance to stun. Extra stun time with the bat is great and can be the deciding factor in escaping or dying, though. Faster weapon swing speed can also be very helpful, especially against Jasons who are good at dodging, because it can throw their timing off. My attack Adam setup is Thick Skinned, Heavy Hitter, and Swift Attacker.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 1, 2017

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Coolguye posted:

as always, the real answer kind of depends. even with a full load of combat perks, a counselor really has no chance at all against jason one on one. a baseball bat is ideal, yes, but you probably should not go try to find jason as he will still pop you like a ripe grape. counselors do best blindsiding jason around corners, through doorways, from behind, etc. and in general you should only be trying to attack him to open up an opportunity to run away, complete an objective, or save a friend. knocking his mask off is a completely separate thing, you want raw combat damage for that (in which case you're looking for an axe or machete, not a bat).

This. Unless you're specifically looking to cause some trouble for Jason so others can escape, in which case go nuts and play "Jason Hunter" which will likely end in your death, but if the rest of the counselors are worth a poo poo they'll use your sacrifice to escape.

This is my usual MO for coming back as Tommy, or when I spawn with an Adam, Buggsy or Vanessa. Cause Jason as much trouble as I can so everyone else will escape.

Basically if I spawn in with someone who can't repair for poo poo (IE: the mini game is longer than two button presses) I will gently caress it up because I never play sober so I'll do what I can to help everyone else and then die gloriously while spewing something silly. If I can make Jason break silence because they laughed I'm always happy about that.

I played one game where I was killed as Tiffany because I got cornered and yelled "I REGRET NOTHING!" as I was bodyslammed headfirst into the floor.

I spawn back as Tommy and proceed to finish whatever I started as Tiffany and when caught again, he goes for the same bodyslam kill and I shout "I STILL REGRET NOTHING!" Jason laughed so I was happy.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Yeah, if I get to the point where I know I'm gonna die, the game becomes "let's see how long I can draw this out by fighting back/running away so the others have time to escape"

I have some drawn out, Drew Barrymore style deaths

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

joylessdivision posted:

If I can make Jason break silence because they laughed I'm always happy about that.
If you're not talking constantly as Jason I just don't get why you even play as him, messing with the counselors is the best part. My favorite was the time I decided I was a birthday clown and went around the map asking whose birthday it was, promising surprises and presents, and singing "Happy Birthday" during every kill animation.

8/8.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I've been blaring Carly Rae Jepsen Gnarly Slay Jepsin during my Jason matches, it's surprisingly effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I kinda wanna play as Jason and offer the counsellors a chance to escape if they can answer a Friday the 13th trivia question.

Two-part questions if they're trying to accomplish a goal like installing a battery. One right answer: you live. Two right answers: I let you accomplish your goal.

• Locked thread