Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
True, true. I just get a bad taste in my mouth when I see the military in political ads in general. There was something about the final shot hovering over a uniform and saber that left me particularly uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Tell that to people living under Joe Manchin.

You mean the people on the Medicaid expansion who are alive because the ACA? Those people?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

True, true. I just get a bad taste in my mouth when I see the military in political ads in general. There was something about the final shot hovering over a uniform and saber that left me particularly uncomfortable.

It's just marketing. Let's judge her on what positions she takes.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Dismantling the imperialist mercenary army and sending every member to the Hague for its crimes against the global south may be the objectively moral thing, but for fucks sake, its not going to appeal to people in states where the military is the only option to escape minimum wage.
Holy poo poo, you're still here/back?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

Presenting an argument to a court that your expert disagrees with the Appellant's expert. How evil.

Again, you make poo poo up i didn't say. And again, you haven't actually stated the harm you keep insisting was so obviously there.

Lol at you idiots who think an attorney doing their job is inherently evil because the state didn't want to pay for a specific treatment a transperson asked for. Real good understanding of how a civil society works you got there.

:lol: it's already been explained to you (though it didn't need explaining since you're already familiar with the matter). you're currently trying to pretend the explanation doesn't matter. cause you're a cis-male and transgender people are the latest target now that it's not totally ok to hate on gay people

cause you're a centrist, and empathizing with people being screwed by the status quo is against your ideology

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Presenting an argument to a court that your expert disagrees with the Appellant's expert. How evil.

It's a bad argument, and if she didn't agree with her expert why'd she appeal?

I'm not saying I'd never vote for her, but I think it's a really lovely thing and I'd like her to address it.

Pretending it's totally okay and people are being unreasonable for objecting to it is really strange. Why are you so defensive of this?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

It's a bad argument, and if she didn't agree with her expert why'd she appeal?

I don't think you understood. that's ok. Harris isn't perfect but what she did there is really not at all evil or bad. There's really nothing to address unless you think she set every state policy and wasn't just the chief attorney.

Condiv posted:

abusing transgender people is just state policy and kamala harris was just following orders!

Condiv posted:

not if you're centrist, cause that's what nevvy's been doing this whole time with "how was the person harmed" schtick

You brought up harm idiot. You said she was abused, because how dare the state appeal when she sues them. You are a disengenuous idiot shitstirrer. fuckoff. idiot

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 1, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Democrazy posted:

You mean the people on the Medicaid expansion who are alive because the ACA? Those people?

Yeah, those people who have to put up with some incredibly polluted water and the tops of their mountains being blown off, plus silica dust in their air thanks to a coal industry that is supported by Joe Manchin. Those people.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

Presenting an argument to a court that your expert disagrees with the other expert. How evil.

Again, you make poo poo up i didn't say. And again, you haven't actually stated the harm you keep insisting was so obviously there.

Lol at you idiots who think an attorney doing their job is inherently evil because the state didn't want to pay for a specific treatment a transperson asked for. Real good understanding of how a civil society works you got there.

She wasn't "an" attorney, she was "the" attorney general of California. She wasn't some low level bureaucrat just doing her job, she was in a significant position of authority and she had the ability to decide to not proceed with the case.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Reik posted:

She wasn't "an" attorney, she was "the" attorney general of California. She wasn't some low level bureaucrat just doing her job, she was in a significant position of authority and she had the ability to decide to not proceed with the case.

Yes and? God forbid anyone disagree with a trans person in court?

Edit- Actually, i'm gonna have to ask you to prove the bolded.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 1, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't think you understood. that's ok. Harris isn't perfect but what she did there is really not at all evil or bad.

You brought up harm idiot. You said she was abused, because how dare the state appeal when she sues them. You are a disengenuous idiot shitstirrer. fuckoff. idiot

seriously, go cis-splain to chelsea manning nevvy. you're obviously smarter than her and know more about what does and does not harm transgender (and what constitutes injustice against them). go set her straight on her foolish kamala harris hate!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

gently caress you. get your over-privileged rear end out of this thread

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Yeah, those people who have to put up with some incredibly polluted water and the tops of their mountains being blown off, plus silica dust in their air thanks to a coal industry that is supported by Joe Manchin. Those people.

The Republican Party is not known for their pro-environmental policies. I don't see how another vote for Mitch McConnell helps pro-environmental Democrats. Meanwhile, objectively, more people would not have access to medical coverage without Manchin's vote on ACA. The choice seems easy.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

This thread is a nightmare hellscape that I hope to the lord doesn't represent the state of the left in America in general but probably does.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

lmao I bet you consider yourself an "ally" don't you?

gently caress off out of here, literally everyone deserves access to healthcare, even prisoners.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

WampaLord posted:

gently caress off out of here, literally everyone deserves access to healthcare, even prisoners.

Agreed. That doesn't make it evil or all that lovely for an attorney to file an appeal in court.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Lord posted:

This thread is a nightmare hellscape that I hope to the lord doesn't represent the state of the left in America in general but probably does.

the left is full of happy people working together for a better world. the DSA threads are wonderful. this is more a representation of the state of the dem party

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

They aren't arguing on who's at fault for a traffic accident, Harris is stating that they don't need sexual reassignment surgery because their hormone therapy is sufficiently treating their gender dysmorphia. She has a duty as chief counsel for the state to say "look people, we need to let this one go in the best interest of the state."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Agreed. That doesn't make it evil or all that lovely for an attorney to file an appeal in court.

The appeal was to deny someone healthcare.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

yes, it's evil for her to try to block treatment that it's been medically recognized the transgender person in question needs. hth and get out

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

WampaLord posted:

The appeal was to deny someone healthcare.

The appeal was to deny a specific procedure that the state felt was not a cost effective treatment compared to what else had been done and would continue to be done (lots).

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't recognize why this is a hill for you to die on.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

lol that you think denying medical procedures to trans prisoners is "how a civil society works"

centrist.txt

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Democrazy posted:

I'm not dying, I feel fine.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

The appeal was to deny a specific procedure that the state felt was not a cost effective treatment compared to what else had been done and would continue to be done (lots).

So you're not denying that the appeal was to deny healthcare. Doesn't exactly square with:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Democrazy posted:

The Republican Party is not known for their pro-environmental policies. I don't see how another vote for Mitch McConnell helps pro-environmental Democrats. Meanwhile, objectively, more people would not have access to medical coverage without Manchin's vote on ACA. The choice seems easy.

Well the choice is now between Manchin and Swearengin and he seems to be making GBS threads bricks over the prospect of have to run against an actual good candidate.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

WampaLord posted:

So you're not denying that the appeal was to deny healthcare. Doesn't exactly square with:

It's like you didn't understand what you read.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm not dying, I feel fine.

It's kind of implied when you come out pro-lawyers preventing trans prisoners from getting healthcare

I mean, can you imagine, the state of california spending all that money? what could the lawyers possibly have done other than appeal?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Democrazy posted:

he hates the left more than he cares about transgender people. and since the left brought up this criticism, then it must just be greedy transgender people asking for needless medical procedures. you see, prisoners are bored, and some of the most fun in the world is going through unnecessary medical procedures! that's why kamala had to put her foot down!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

Edit- Actually, i'm gonna have to ask you to prove the bolded.

quote:

12511. The Attorney General has charge, as attorney, of all legal matters in which the State is interested, except the business of The Regents of the University of California and of such other boards or officers as are by law authorized to employ attorneys.

12511.5 The Attorney General may defend a public or private provider of health care, as defined in Section 56.05 of the Civil Code, and its officers, employees, agents, and subcontractors against any claim that the civil rights of a person in state custody were violated in the provision of health care services, where those services were provided under contract with, or under the control of, the Department of Corrections. Defense of the provider of health care is conditioned upon the provider maintaining insurance for professional negligence.

12512. The Attorney General shall attend the Supreme Court and prosecute or defend all causes to which the State, or any State officer is a party in his or her official capacity.

Emphasis mine

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=GOV&division=3.&title=2.&part=2.&chapter=6.&article=2.

Reik fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 1, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

It's like you didn't understand what you read.

It's like you don't understand what "healthcare is a right" means.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

Well the choice is now between Manchin and Swearengin and he seems to be making GBS threads bricks over the prospect of have to run against an actual good candidate.

Won't she lose the second she is perceived to be opposing coal though?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Lord posted:

i dunno. i think she has a better idea of how to appeal to coal miners considering she's been a member of that community all of her life

please don't wring your hands about paula swearengin, she's awesome

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

WampaLord posted:

It's like you don't understand what "healthcare is a right" means.

That doesn't mean every person gets the treatment they prefer for every condition.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

B B posted:

Cory Booker is generally dumb and bad, but this is quite cool and good:

Still would not support Booker in a primary, but hopefully other Dems with eyes on 2020 get on board.

Eh. Half points.

He knows it's not going to pass so why not just go for full legalization and compel states to follow suit? Why bother with this half-assed method of asking the states nicely to follow suit and offering them bribes?

(The answer is because he's bought off by pharma companies and wants to limit the damage done to his donor's bottom lines when people switch to weed from Oxycontin or whatever.)

WampaLord posted:

:jerkbag:

So no veterans should ever run for Congress? It's like you all want to shoot yourselves in the foot before you start the race, Christ.

Veterans are fine. You can brag about your service while talking about how it taught you the value of peace. Yet she didn't do this. Why do you think that is?

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Is there a concise slogan-type phrase that clearly and efficiently gets across "I support IDpol in and of itself, but I'm disgusted by the counter-revolutionary capitalist propaganda cynically exploiting the people it hurts the most to protect the social and material interests of the bourgeois"?

Lightning Lord posted:

We are living through the apex of our political parties transfiguration into Nixon-Democrats and Wallace-Republicans. The logic of this world is ending.

Lightning Lord posted:

Workers or owners is the real question.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Lol you guys decide that the state paying for prisoners gender reassignment surgery is the purity hill to die on and wonder why you lose election after election when literally nobody cares about this.

Lol oh and Kamala Harris can't win a election. She's a women. That automatically means a good 60% of the population will refuse to vote for her. You don't learn anything.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JailTrump posted:

Lol you guys decide that the state paying for prisoners gender reassignment surgery is the purity hill to die on and wonder why you lose election after election when literally nobody cares about this.

Lol oh and Kamala Harris can't win a election. She's a women. That automatically means a good 60% of the population will refuse to vote for her. You don't learn anything.

centrist... check

sexist... check

funny how that keeps happening

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Condiv posted:

i dunno. i think she has a better idea of how to appeal to coal miners considering she's been a member of that community all of her life

please don't wring your hands about paula swearengin, she's awesome

I'm not opposed to her at all, she's rad but I've just been told that West Virginians perceive "we need to diversify" as "We need to demolish the coal industry and put every West Virginian out of work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Lightning Lord posted:

She proposing diversifying West Virginia's economy away from coal and replacing coal jobs with jobs in other, more renewable energy fields, as well as local manufacturing and infrastructure work. It seems to be going over fairly well.

• Locked thread