Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Veterans are fine. You can brag about your service while talking about how it taught you the value of peace. Yet she didn't do this. Why do you think that is?

Cause it's a two minute announcement video and it was mostly about her own personal story and not her entire platform.

JailTrump posted:

Lol you guys decide that the state paying for prisoners gender reassignment surgery is the purity hill to die on and wonder why you lose election after election when literally nobody cares about this.

Healthcare for all is the purity hill to die on and millions of Americans care about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

That doesn't mean every person gets the treatment they prefer for every condition.

under what medical basis was kamala harris attempting to deny treatment? her own expert agreed with the treatment plan

why are you trying to pretend the transgender person wanted some free unnecessary medical treatment? what is wrong with your diseased little centrist brain?

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

centrist... check

sexist... check

funny how that keeps happening

I'm not in the least bit sexist. I have no problems voting for a woman.

The vast majority of Americans however do not.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm not opposed to her at all, she's rad but I've just been told that West Virginians perceive "we need to diversify" as "We need to demolish the coal industry and put every West Virginian out of work"

well, i think she'll retain a lot of trust.

on a side note, here's a video of her talking to bernie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1mPCkDfMhw&t=21s

i love her accent so much :allears:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JailTrump posted:

I'm not in the least bit sexist. I have no problems voting for a woman.

The vast majority of Americans however do not.

This is not true as much as your Abuela's new book might have you imagine

Plenty of papers have been written, the idea that a women is unelectable is hogwash

https://www.jstor.org/stable/448527

quote:

The gender of candidates as a factor influencing voter choice has been little explored. Previous studies of the effect, it any, on electoral success of being a female have yielded mixed results, partially because of the limited locale of the study, briefness of the time-span examined, failure to control for party and incumbency, and other problems. Using data on nearly 1100 primary and 1200 general elections to the lower house of the state legislature in six states, the authors find that since 1972 women candidates have suffered little electoral penalty by virtue of their gender. This is true regardless of party or the size of the district's urban population. There is some modest degree of variation among states but these variations do not conform to prior expectations based on political culture or electoral history.

But I can understand why the centrists might cling to this as they just watched their candidate get absolutely dominated by an orange clown and are struggling to come up with any explanation that doesn't involve them admitting maybe their taxes should go up.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 1, 2017

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't think you understood. that's ok. Harris isn't perfect but what she did there is really not at all evil or bad. There's really nothing to address unless you think she set every state policy and wasn't just the chief attorney.

So why not issue a statement (or a tweet, since that's apparently how things work now) saying she disagreed with the policy but felt like she was required to follow it as chief attorney? That could be done in 180 characters.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

why are you trying to pretend the transgender person wanted some free unnecessary medical treatment? what is wrong with your diseased little centrist brain?

You lose by continuing to think reality matters.

The reality of what is right and wrong doesn't matter.

What matters is the soundbite that will be played across every single news network and tv channel come 2020. "Kamala Harris supported Spending Your Tax Money on Surgery Reassingment for Freaks."

Where you like that, whether it's transphobic or not - that is a major scandal waiting to happen and would lose her votes amongst key voters she needs to obtain votes from to actually win.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JailTrump posted:

Lol you guys decide that the state paying for prisoners gender reassignment surgery is the purity hill to die on and wonder why you lose election after election when literally nobody cares about this.

Lol oh and Kamala Harris can't win a election. She's a women. That automatically means a good 60% of the population will refuse to vote for her. You don't learn anything.

i just think that if the dems are going to pretend to be the party of social justice then they should walk the walk, not just talk the talk. and that means taking the concerns of transgendered people seriously.

too bad you're too busy cissplaining what transgender people do and don't deserve to listen to transgender people

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

If Harris came out and said that denying the prisoner was a mistake would you all accept it?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

So why not issue a statement (or a tweet, since that's apparently how things work now) saying she disagreed with the policy but felt like she was required to follow it as chief attorney? That could be done in 180 characters.

I dunno. Maybe she didn't disagree. That doesn't mean she hates trans people or doesn't think they should receive surgery, just that state law didn't allow this person to receive surgery at the state's expense. Because that's the issue at question.

If healthcare wasn't so hosed in every other way maybe the state could afford to not care how much things cost.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 1, 2017

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JailTrump posted:

What matters is the soundbite that will be played across every single news network and tv channel come 2020. "Kamala Harris supported Spending Your Tax Money on Surgery Reassingment for Freaks."

Where you like that, whether it's transphobic or not - that is a major scandal waiting to happen and would lose her votes amongst key voters she needs to obtain votes from to actually win.

[citation needed]

Nevvy Z posted:

I dunno. Maybe she didn't disagree. That doesn't mean she hates trans people or doesn't think they should receive surgery, just that state law didn't allow this person to receive surgery at the state's expense. Because that's the issue at question.

lawyers are human garbage and so are the people who go to bat for the bad ones

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

i just think that if the dems are going to pretend to be the party of social justice then they should walk the walk, not just talk the talk. and that means taking the concerns of transgendered people seriously.

too bad you're too busy cissplaining what transgender people do and don't deserve to listen to transgender people

The Democratic Party shouldn't be the party of Social Justice because Social Justice is a Losing Platform.

We just had a election about this people. Bury your head in the sand. But Social Justice being the core tenant of a political party is not going to win you elections in a country where the majority of the population is WHITE.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JailTrump posted:

hmm, we should run away from transgendered people cause if we don't, people might think we support them? gently caress off with that idiotic poo poo. you idiot dems can continue to run from taking a stand on anything, the left will gladly be the allies to minorities that centrists refuse to be

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sneakster posted:

Is there a concise slogan-type phrase that clearly and efficiently gets across "I support IDpol in and of itself, but I'm disgusted by the counter-revolutionary capitalist propaganda cynically exploiting the people it hurts the most to protect the social and material interests of the bourgeois"?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

If Harris came out and said that denying the prisoner was a mistake would you all accept it?

Absolutely.

Nevvy Z posted:

It wasn't state law though, it was medical policy of the healthcare provider responsible to providing the care to inmates at that prison.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I mean, Chelsea Manning got reassignment surgery at taxpayer expense, is anyone going to be primaried for that?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Sneakster posted:

Is there a concise slogan-type phrase that clearly and efficiently gets across "I support IDpol in and of itself, but I'm disgusted by the counter-revolutionary capitalist propaganda cynically exploiting the people it hurts the most to protect the social and material interests of the bourgeois"?

"Bernie would have won"

Reik posted:

It wasn't state law though, it was medical policy of the healthcare provider responsible to providing the care to inmates at that prison.

Since when has Nevvy Z ever let reality get in the way of defending horrific politicians?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Lord posted:

depends, centrists say a lot of things and then do another. i tend to be of the opinion that actions speak louder than words

JailTrump posted:

The Democratic Party shouldn't be the party of Social Justice because Social Justice is a Losing Platform.

We just had a election about this people. Bury your head in the sand. But Social Justice being the core tenant of a political party is not going to win you elections in a country where the majority of the population is WHITE.

hmm, i do not agree and have never agreed. you centrists can chase the right all you want, we're moving left.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

hmm, we should run away from transgendered people cause if we don't, people might think we support them? gently caress off with that idiotic poo poo. you idiot dems can continue to run from taking a stand on anything, the left will gladly be the allies to minorities that centrists refuse to be

I don't have a problem taking a stand on anything and I don't think Dems should either.

Trans people deserve every single equal protection and right under the law.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Condiv posted:

depends, centrists say a lot of things and then do another. i tend to be of the opinion that actions speak louder than words

Is there any circumstance where a centrist can become a leftist or like, a left ally?

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

I mean, Chelsea Manning got reassignment surgery at taxpayer expense, is anyone going to be primaried for that?

Did She? I assumed she just received hormone treatment.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Sneakster posted:

Dismantling the imperialist mercenary army and sending every member to the Hague for its crimes against the global south may be the objectively moral thing, but for fucks sake, its not going to appeal to people in states where the military is the only option to escape minimum wage.

It's not going to appeal to the majority in any state in the country.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Lightning Lord posted:

Is there any circumstance where a centrist can become a leftist or like, a left ally?

Repeat after me:

Single payer now
$15 min wage
Tax the rich

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

NewForumSoftware posted:

Repeat after me:

Single payer now
$15 min wage
Tax the rich

I'm not seeing how any of that solves racism... I'll pass

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

hmm, i do not agree and have never agreed. you centrists can chase the right all you want, we're moving left.

You do realize that LGBT rights are not inherently leftist right?

I do not disagree with equal protection and rights and support them universally but I can point farther left parties all across the world than the Democratic party that do not support LGBT rights as much as the Dems do.

Leftism is far more complicated than saying "You aren't leftist because you won't pay for gender reassignment surgery for prisoners."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Lord posted:

yes. i don't have a ton of good examples on the political stage, but on the forums, venom snake used to be centrist af and i bitterly disagreed with him before the election. ever since he's turned a new leaf and is actually decently leftist.

JailTrump posted:

I don't have a problem taking a stand on anything and I don't think Dems should either.

Trans people deserve every single equal protection and right under the law.

and this one had a right to medically necessary treatment, which kamala harris was attempting to block. that's bad

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

NewForumSoftware posted:

Repeat after me:

Single payer now
$15 min wage
Eat the rich

poo poo. Sorry! Still working on that last one! :v:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JailTrump posted:

I do not disagree with equal protection and rights and support them universally but I can point farther left parties all across the world than the Democratic party that do not support LGBT rights as much as the Dems do.

Leftism is far more complicated than saying "You aren't leftist because you won't pay for gender reassignment surgery for prisoners."

for me, leftism is about both economic justice and social justice. and you're centrist for many more reasons than "you won't pay for medically necessary procedures"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JailTrump posted:

LMAO get the gently caress out here.

"Equality isn't leftist!" says the troll.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Economic justice is social justice fyi

the idea that you can have one without the other is a farce invented by centrists

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

I would, yes.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Centrists are all trapped in a Vonnegut-esque Timequake situation where its always 1991 and they need to pull all the Reagan democrats.

JailTrump posted:

What matters is the soundbite
Holy poo poo, reality just cracked: the psychic scream of the centrist id tearing through the void to tell everyone the absolute necessity of abandoning all moral and practical considerations in lieu of compromises that aren't just unnecessary, but detrimental to winning elections and furthering the interests of everyone but a small group of donors.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

NewForumSoftware posted:

Repeat after me:

Single payer now
$15 min wage
Tax the rich

also maybe a basic income? or is that asking too much?

oh and maybe rent control + tons of public housing too?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Well the choice is now between Manchin and Swearengin and he seems to be making GBS threads bricks over the prospect of have to run against an actual good candidate.

If Swearengin is a better candidate who can win in a general election, all the power to her. But Manchin did have an important part in bringing healthcare to many West Virginians; that makes it worth it to have had him at the time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Freakazoid_ posted:

And infrastructure jobs.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Freakazoid_ posted:

Those are just the first steps

police reform, reparations, carbon tax, basic income all on the list as well imo

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Democrazy posted:

If Swearengin is a better candidate who can win in a general election, all the power to her. But Manchin did have an important part in bringing healthcare to many West Virginians; that makes it worth it to have had him at the time.

manchin screamed at his constituents to primary him when they asked him to represent them instead of corporate interests

he's getting exactly what he deserves and it didn't have to be this way

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

for me, leftism is about both economic justice and social justice. and you're centrist for many more reasons than "you won't pay for medically necessary procedures"

I'm really not sure if Gender Reassignment Surgery is a medically necessary procedure. Considering Health Insurance will not cover it.

If prison cover it, and health insurance does not. Why would I not just commit a crime and get arrested so that I could obtain this surgery?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JailTrump posted:

I'm really not sure if Gender Reassignment Surgery is a medically necessary procedure. Considering Health Insurance will not cover it.

If prison cover it, and health insurance does not. Why would I not just commit a crime and get arrested so that I could obtain this surgery?

:laffo: literally defending insurance companies.

Fly away, little troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

JailTrump posted:

Then you're in prison ...

• Locked thread