Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Opinions posted:

The series is a direct sequel to the movie.

I thought so. I've only watched bits and pieces of the series so I wasn't positive.

Doesn't that make producing a prequel problematic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I thought so. I've only watched bits and pieces of the series so I wasn't positive.

Doesn't that make producing a prequel problematic?

Roland Emmerich (who wrote and directed the original movie) hates the show and considers it separate.

Everyone who likes the show considers it a sequel to the original movie.

Then you have camps divided over whether or not Stargate Infinity is canonical, and over how important the SG-1 direct-to-DVD movies are.

"Problematic" doesn't begin to describe Stargate's canon order.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SG-1 is insanely good but it takes a couple seasons to really pick up and the characters develop, but it reaches TNG or DS9 levels of characters you end up knowing and loving.
It also manages to have high concept scifi plots and drama while also making fun of itself and having laughs.
Also really good continuity. That weird artifact that does some amazing thing they found a season ago is actually brought out of storage to logically try to help solve the problem of the week. Pretty much nothing is forgotten and the humans on the show are reverse-engineering every bit of tech they find and putting it to its fullest most practical use.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I always considered it a soft sequel. Like, yes, the events of the movie happened off-screen but we would re-shoot it with a different cast and tone if we could.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Drone posted:

And you can only see the same forest in British Columbia so many times before you get bored out your gourd.

As a resident of that forest I can safely say that it bounces back and forth between dead boring and calming serenity on a regular basis. It's pretty nice when it's not on fire.

I'm fairly certain both SG-1 and X-Files shot stuff in the park I grew up next to. SG-1 went as far as to joke about how every planet has the same scenery.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I preferred the novels where Halliburton and Blackwater run Abydos and they are managed to get Apache gunships through the Stargate somehow.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://vimeo.com/227828163

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

That's.... yes, please

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loving extremely pro click.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Wooooooo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

God, I wish. But it's never going to happen.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I have tried to watch the stargate film several times over the years but fallen asleep after 20 minutes every time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dysgenesis posted:

I have tried to watch the stargate film several times over the years but fallen asleep after 20 minutes every time.

It's very slow, many of the actors and lines are very bad, and some of it just lasts forever when it really doesn't need to. I've come to appreciate it more over the years, but you're not missing anything if you just go straight to the series, it explains all the stuff that happened in the movie.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I love the Stargate movie unironically for its unashamed B-movie schlockiness. It's elevated by Spader's goofy performance, Kurt Russell's comic-book badassery and David Arnold's great score.

I never got into any of the TV shows. I could see why the people who liked them did, but they just never clicked for me.

Edit: spell-check changed "unironically" to "ironically". I love it unironically! It's a fun movie!

shadok fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 1, 2017

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

shadok posted:

unashamed B-movie schlockiness

"Give my regards to King Tut, rear end in a top hat!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Aren't they basically actual military uniforms? (It's been forever since I've seen an episode, I never really sat down and followed the show)

They use real life military uniforms. Their "going into the stargate" uniforms aren't real uniforms as far as I can tell, but they might be something off the rack that a military contractor or specops unit might use for some reason. What's funny is that when the Airforce ABU came out to replace the BDU, it was hard to get because both the actual air force and the show were trying to buy them. Seems like Stargate actually tried to be more realistic since they probably needed the help of the Air Force for some things. Better than that stupid show that came out a few years ago about some mutated monster thing in the arctic where some Army major comes into a room with his ACU sleeves rolled up all sloppy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend recently made an SG1 costume and pretty much all of it he was able to just buy off the shelf military surplus stuff for.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Does The Vanishing of Wesley Crusher have anything to do with the thematics of Chakotay, or did someone in Trek circles just get way into Native American stuff around then?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Orv posted:

Does The Vanishing of Wesley Crusher have anything to do with the thematics of Chakotay, or did someone in Trek circles just get way into Native American stuff around then?

They paid for a fake Native American cultural consultant and drat it, they're gonna get their money's worth!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Platonicsolid posted:

I meant more the tone - scientists were regularly shown to be weak or naive, plenty of issues eventually wound up being solved with force. Part and parcel, sure, but it was a lot more problematic when I went back to watch some episodes, which may say more about me and our current context than the show itself.

I really don't think so, there's regular episodes where they argue the merits of say, direct intervention vs. diplomatic resolution in various permutations but the show comes down pretty hard against unilateral force majeure and the scientist characters used for comedic effect (I know exactly who you're thinking of) are the exception and not the rule.

vermin posted:

The smart prequel move would have a series set in ancient Egypt and the weird royal court centering around these evil space aliens.

So it won't be that.

Holy poo poo I can't believe I never thought of Goa'uld of Thrones.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I think I like the Stargate movie for many of the same reasons I like Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Kazinsal posted:

I think I like the Stargate movie for many of the same reasons I like Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Someone should make a 22 minute version of Stargate set to the Tron Legacy soundtrack

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

I like Stargate for the aesthetics more than anything. The alien/ancient tech is cool.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

vermin posted:

They paid for a fake Native American cultural consultant and drat it, they're gonna get their money's worth!

https://indiancountrymedianetwork.com/culture/arts-entertainment/fools-gold-the-story-of-jamake-highwater-the-fake-indian-who-wont-die/

Huh, I'd never heard about that

Orv
May 4, 2011

That sounds about right.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Hooray, more gap filler prequels!

http://www.geekexchange.com/news/breaking-nicholas-meyer-working-on-khan-limited-series/

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Wanna know what happens after DS9/Voyager?

TOO BAD

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I personally would like a ten hour limited series to fill the gap between Star Trek IV and V. How did they get to the campsite? Who set up the tent? Is there an episode-long event where someone took hostages at the store where Bones bought those binoculars that we've never heard? Perhaps there was another other secret Spock sibling that's a Klingon.

Fertile ground for storytelling.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What's that federation ship from the future that has slipstream or whatever? They should make a series about that.

I mean, a series about it in its own century, not a series about it having wacky time traveling hijinks and meeting up with Kirk and Spock and Einstein and Janeway and Worf and Merlin

Orv
May 4, 2011

vermin posted:

Wanna know what happens after DS9/Voyager?

TOO BAD

Pah-wraiths, pah-wraiths everywhere.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow that's a really bad idea.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Noooo Meyer pull up pull up :(

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ughhhhh why would you even bother without Montalban. This is their big contingency plan to keep poo poo going when Discovery bombs? Who would have thought that after Voyager and Enterprise the franchise had this much further to go before it bottoms out.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TheScott2K posted:

I personally would like a ten hour limited series to fill the gap between Star Trek IV and V. How did they get to the campsite? Who set up the tent? Is there an episode-long event where someone took hostages at the store where Bones bought those binoculars that we've never heard? Perhaps there was another other secret Spock sibling that's a Klingon.

Fertile ground for storytelling.

Captain Kirk is climbing the mountain; why is he climbing the mountain?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I love Stargate: SG-1 but I'd skip most of season 1

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

On one hand, a series about a marooned space crew trying to tame doomed planet sounds like a relatively decent setup.

On the other hand OH, COME ON

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Drink-Mix Man posted:

On one hand, a series about a marooned space crew trying to tame doomed planet sounds like a relatively decent setup.

On the other hand OH, COME ON

Maybe this will solve the mystery of why he only takes one glove off.

Really important detail to backfill.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Sir Lemming posted:

To hug the mountain. To envelop the mountain.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Evek posted:

To hug the mountain. To envelop the mountain.

...because I'm in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I wouldn't put money on any of these rumors, so far I've only seen it reported by clickbait sites. The entire thing is rooted in an interview Meyer gave a month ago where someone asked if he was working on anything else Trek-related and he said yes but gave no details. It's probably just a book or comic or something.

CBS barely put effort into a brand new ST show, there's no loving way they're going to greenlight a Khan miniseries before Discovery even airs.