Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JailTrump posted:

I'm really not sure if Gender Reassignment Surgery is a medically necessary procedure. Considering Health Insurance will not cover it.

If prison cover it, and health insurance does not. Why would I not just commit a crime and get arrested so that I could obtain this surgery?

hint: health insurance is garbage in this country and that's exactly why so many people in this thread are pushing for an alternative model which involves a payer who is single

also people do commit crimes purposefully to go to prison because being homeless is worse so i mean, it already happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JailTrump posted:

I'm really not sure if Gender Reassignment Surgery is a medically necessary procedure. Considering Health Insurance will not cover it.

If prison cover it, and health insurance does not. Why would I not just commit a crime and get arrested so that I could obtain this surgery?

well, see that's why a doctor was involved. to say "yes, this is medically necessary". the problem comes in when centrists like you and kamala decide they know better than the medical community

also holy lol at that second sentence. what other medically necessary operations should we deny to keep mooching lucky duckies from getting free healthcare and a warm bedcold slab?

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

LMAO get the gently caress out here.

"Equality isn't leftist!" says the troll.

Ok man maybe you can go tell that to Nicolas Maduro who called the opposition candidate gay and told people they shouldn't vote for him because of that.

gently caress - nevermind. Go to Colombia where gay marriage and adoption is legal - meanwhile in Venezuela it's not.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Reik posted:

Absolutely.

It wasn't state law though, it was medical policy of the healthcare provider responsible to providing the care to inmates at that prison.

It's explicitly state law. That's why the judge determined she should receive the medically necessary treatment including SRS, it's required by state law. State law governs those providers. This is actually what I do at my job. I skimmed the decision, the judge did a good job and was right to order the surgery

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

police reform, reparations, carbon tax, basic income all on the list as well imo
The fundamental contradiction of idpol comes into this: reform the police? For who? They are there to protect property, they were in bed with the mafia before the drug war gave them permission to degenerate in highway robbery and the basest of thuggery, but by definition they are inherently fascist. It is impossible to reconcile the contradiction of idpol with who the police act on the behalf of, as "the community" is an inherent lie under the pretense of idpol.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Another question, do you all think a stabilized ACA that is as entrenched in American society as the goddamn interstate highway system is a step towards viable single payer/public option or do you think it will torpedo that possibility?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JailTrump posted:

Ok man maybe you can go tell that to Nicolas Maduro who called the opposition candidate gay and told people they shouldn't vote for him because of that.

gently caress - nevermind. Go to Colombia where gay marriage and adoption is legal - meanwhile in Venezuela it's not.

Ah, I see the problem. This is a thread for discussing the American Democratic Party, and how much they are a waste. Go post your poo poo in the Venezuela thread and never post here again.

:byewhore:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
^^^: He actually has been doing that alot.

JailTrump posted:

It absolutely is. Gender dysphoria is a thing and treatment requires reassignment surgery. The mental health (and therefore productivity and physical wellbeing) of the patient suffers greatly without it. Health insurers are the worst arbiters for actual medical need.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

:laffo: literally defending insurance companies.

Fly away, little troll.

So you want better treatment for prisoners than for the general public?

Because that's what I'm getting from this.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Those are just the first steps

police reform, reparations, carbon tax, basic income all on the list as well imo

EFCA, or anything to make it easier for workers to organize, should be on any leftward economic agenda.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

JailTrump posted:

This seems disingenuous

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JailTrump posted:

I WANT BETTER TREATMENT FOR EVERYONE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRIr9MNmCwU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

It absolutely is. Gender dysphoria is a thing and treatment requires reassignment surgery. The mental health (and therefore productivity and physical wellbeing) of the patient suffers greatly without it. Health insurers are the worst arbiters for actual medical need.

Managed Care is the worst. They get paid a block of Medicaid money, and if they deny enough services they get to keep what is left. :hurr:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JailTrump posted:

that should tell you volumes about how the general public is treated. it should not spur you to denying medically necessary treatment to prisoners

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

It's explicitly state law. That's why the judge determined she should receive the medically necessary treatment including SRS, it's required by state law. State law governs those providers. This is actually what I do at my job. I skimmed the decision, the judge did a good job and was right to order the surgery

Why did Harris choose to fight it if it's state law?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Democrazy posted:

EFCA, or anything to make it easier for workers to organize, should be on any leftward economic agenda.

Agreed. Obama should have walked the picket lines with the unions when Scott Walker attacked them. (like he said he would lol)

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Ah, I see the problem. This is a thread for discussing the American Democratic Party, and how much they are a waste. Go post your poo poo in the Venezuela thread and never post here again.

:byewhore:

The American Democratic Party should be influenced by world politics and general trends with other left-wing parties around the world.

Whether what the left wing does in Venezuela is not my point. My point is that even many left-wing parties don't care about LGBT community because doing so would be unpopular amongst their base. And they do this to ensure they win elections. I don't think that's neccesarily correct - but I'm much more of a moralist than most.

You continue to push this as some moral argument. "If you do not support X you are not standing with moral conviction."

That really doesn't seem to be the case here. Providing a certain type of surgery to prisoner's who will not directly die without it does not seem like a moral decision to me.

Just like allowing prisoners conjugal visits does not seem like a moral decision.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Reik posted:

Why did Harris choose to fight it if it's state law?

This is a nonsensical question. Also, we don't really know if she got to choose or what level her involvement was besides being in charge of the department the time. There's always internal political bullshit, bosses, etc.

Why did the state appeal? Because it didn't want to pay. Because it wanted antidepressants and HRT to be good enough, because surgery is loving expensive.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
What is you definition of "leftism" if it doesn't include social equality (ie LGBT rights)?

I mean, Maduro is obviously not a good dude and identifies as part of the left but it doesn't really stand to reason that if he does something it's automatically part of "the left"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JailTrump posted:

You continue to push this as some moral argument. "If you do not support X you are not standing with moral conviction."

That really doesn't seem to be the case here. Providing a certain type of surgery to prisoner's who will not directly die without it does not seem like a moral decision to me.

Just like allowing prisoners conjugal visits does not seem like a moral decision.

Our society must make it right and possible for old people not to fear the young or be deserted by them, for the test of a civilization is the way that it cares for its helpless members.~Pearl S. Buck (1892-1973), My Several Worlds [1954].

The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children.
~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

A decent provision for the poor is the true test of civilization.
~Samuel Johnson, Boswell: Life of Johnson

The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities.~John E. E. Dalberg, Lord Acton, The History of Freedom in Antiquity,[1877].

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped. " ~ Last Speech of Hubert H. Humphrey

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

"Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members -- the last, the least, the littlest."
~Cardinal Roger Mahony, In a 1998 letter, Creating a Culture of Life

The greatness of America is in how it treats its weakest members: the elderly, the infirm, the handicapped, the underprivileged, the unborn.~Bill Federer

"A society will be judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members and among the most vulnerable are surely the unborn and the dying,"
~Pope John Paul II

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Agreed. Obama should have walked the picket lines with the unions when Scott Walker attacked them. (like he said he would lol)

Likewise, when both the Democrats on the Hill and progressive activists release an agenda on economic populism, at least one of them should mention their support of unions.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

This is a nonsensical question. Also, we don't really know if she got to choose or what level her involvement was besides being in charge of the department the time. There's always internal political bullshit, bosses, etc.

Why did the state appeal? Because it didn't want to pay. Because it wanted antidepressants and HRT to be good enough, because surgery is loving expensive.

why should we consider harris' obsequious fight against state law to save the state a nickel as being anything other than anti-transgender?

last i checked the attorney general wasn't forced to defend clearly illegal action on the part of the state like trying to deny medically necessary treatment to prisoners

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

Centrism to a tee. "Reality be damned, I am not paying any more loving taxes"

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

I want a candidate that puts progressive ideals above internal political bs.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Kokoro Wish posted:

My mental health suffers greatly without the $300 mental medication I pay for every month. But I still don't get it for free.

My best friend voted for Gary Johnson instead of Hillary in 2016 because he watched 13th and believed that helping prisoners was more important than helping black and latino americans who weren't prisoners. Because he believed that Hillary would be just as bad as Trump due to her policy on prisoners.

Do you not see how hosed up that reasoning is?

You should choose and pick your battles. It's a lot easier to sway public opinion about people who aren't in prison than people who are.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Reik posted:

Then elect them to a job that doesn't have a boss who can just outright fire them.

The point is you don't know her involvement in this, or what the circumstances were. You just want an excuse to be mad at the (D). Grats, you found it I guess. But it's a pretty stupid one.

You are saying she should have quit her job rather than file this appeal. You are dumb as gently caress.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JailTrump posted:

My mental health suffers greatly without the $300 mental medication I pay for every month. But I still don't get it for free.

You should, though! Or at least for very cheap! And you should want that for others, even prisoners.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

JailTrump posted:

My best friend voted for Gary Johnson instead of Hillary in 2016 because he watched 13th and believed that helping prisoners was more important than helping black and latino americans who weren't prisoners. Because he believed that Hillary would be just as bad as Trump due to her policy on prisoners.

You should choose and pick your battles. It's a lot easier to sway public opinion about people who aren't in prison than people who are.

Maybe "healthcare for one of the most disenfranchised US citizens in the nation" was a battle she should have picked?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

The point is you don't know her involvement in this, or what the circumstances were. You just want an excuse to be mad at the (D). Grats, you found it I guess. But it's a pretty stupid one.

centrist: "it's dumb to be mad at politicians for denying transgendered people healthcare"

truly the elevated thinker

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

Then elect them to a job that doesn't have a boss who can just outright fire them.

AG is supposed to be relatively independent. you don't think her sudden dismissal wouldn't raise eyebrows, especially when it came out it was cause she wouldn't help the state deny prisoners care they were legally owed?

and in any case, why should we count her as an lbgtq ally when she chooses to deny them their legal rights for questionable political gain?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

JailTrump posted:

You can support this prisoner getting sexual reassignment surgery AND support healthcare for everyone. You can even do it in the same rhetorical framework.

You can care for prisoners and average Americans. You don't need to choose.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

You just wanted evidence where Harris was directly involved in harm (in this case, potential harm because she lost the case) of a transgender person and I provided what I thought was the evidence. I'm not over here laughing and twirling my mustache maniacally.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

JailTrump posted:

I'm not sure if health insurance is an economically necessary institution. If public services cover it, and private enterprise doesn't, why would I not just abolish private enterprise so that it would be available?

Reik posted:

I want a candidate that puts the proletariat's needs above the bourgeois' wants.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Reik posted:

You just wanted evidence where Harris was directly involved in harm (in this case, potential harm because she lost the case) of a transgender person and I provided what I thought was the evidence. I'm not over here laughing and twirling my mustache maniacally.

Hmmm? I was asking Condiv for evidence of abuse, because condiv is an idiot who makes up lies. I'm not sure what you are getting at, but I don't have any reason to think you actually care about this beyond an excuse to get mad at Harris, because Harris level of involvement is not apparent, likely minimal, and moot as this person is rightly getting the care they deserve through the efforts of our hard working judiciary.

It's really quite a reach to go from this case to "harris hates transpeople" yet some of you are INSISTENT that it be done.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 1, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

and here's the end-stage of centersplaining:

quote:

You just want an excuse to be mad at the (D). Grats, you found it I guess.

your concerns are not real transgendered people. the wise cis-man has come forth to tell you you're just whiny idiots

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

Hmmm? I was asking Condiv for evidence of abuse, because condiv is an idiot who makes up lies. I'm not sure what you are getting at, but I don't have any reason to think you actually care about this beyond an excuse to get mad at Harris.

You asked Condiv, but this is a forum thread and not a set of PMs so I responded. I care about this because I want to help reform the Democrats in to an actual progressive party and I don't know if someone like Harris is that person, not because I want to get upset at her.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

JailTrump posted:

do it and find out, no need to report back

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Democrazy posted:

You can support this prisoner getting sexual reassignment surgery AND support healthcare for everyone. You can even do it in the same rhetorical framework.

You can care for prisoners and average Americans. You don't need to choose.

But can you do it without losing voters and elections?

I am not convinced you can.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

It's really quite a reach to go from this case to "harris hates transpeople" yet some of you are INSISTENT that it be done.

https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/892235114196946944

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Reik posted:

You asked Condiv, but this is a forum thread and not a set of PMs so I responded. I care about this because I want to help reform the Democrats in to an actual progressive party and I don't know if someone like Harris is that person, not because I want to get upset at her.

I don't know if she is or not, but this particular topic really isn't very strong evidence, for the reasons I mentioned.

Sorry, it's hard to tell who isn't just making GBS threads around when such basic understanding of law is lacking. The appeal that was filed on the state's behalf isn't a fight against state law, it's a disagreement with the judge's interpretation of that law and implementation of it.

• Locked thread