Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember he was a regular joke on MadTV. That show didn't age well.

Kenny Rogers Jackass is probably still hilarious.

What do you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSSHnIZnYSI

(I still hold some nostalgic love for MADTv because I watched all of it when I was a kid, this is not one of the <3 parts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

John Wick is what kicked off his renaissance, not the Matrix sequels, if that's what you read my post as. John Wick made people realize "holy poo poo, Keanu can actually loving act nowadays!" and turned him from kind of a running joke to a genuine hot commodity.

You're joking, right? I think Reeves' acting in John Wick is the worst he's ever done. The action is good though.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Well, I guess I shouldn't be surpise because Fox did let Allen Gregory aired with its constant rape jokes.

Jesus Christ, I forgot about that show. Thanks for reminding me (sarcasm)

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
he should direct another movie, Man of Tai Chi was good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He should do more VA work too. He was good in that Mifune documentary.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

John Wick made people realize "holy poo poo, Keanu can actually loving act nowadays!"

I really don't think that was most people's takaway.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seriously? The "I'M THINKING I'M BACK" scene is the most emotion I've ever seen Keanu show.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Seriously? The "I'M THINKING I'M BACK" scene is the most emotion I've ever seen Keanu show.

Someone clearly hasn't seen Speed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wouldn't say he's a bad actor, just very average. He's better than your average action meathead, but you're not watching for the acting chops anyway. He's good at being dour and pretending to shoot bad guys.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He's a dude who knows his limits as an actor, and has stuck to them. There's nothing wrong with that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1okpAj7Fhw

Johnny Mnemonic rules

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wouldn't say he's a bad actor, just very average. He's better than your average action meathead, but you're not watching for the acting chops anyway. He's good at being dour and pretending to shoot bad guys.

Keanu Reeves works best in movies with hilariously ridiculous premises, because he's so inherently bland he grounds the film in a realism that the rest of the movie can take advantage of.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Skwirl posted:

Keanu Reeves works best in movies with hilariously ridiculous premises, because he's so inherently bland he grounds the film in a realism that the rest of the movie can take advantage of.

He's also really good at looking befuddled at the fantastical events happening around him, which is always a big plus for that kind of movie.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
"Whoa..." The Keanu Reeves Story

In a different world he stars in the Transformers movies with anyone but Bay directing. And they are pretty okay.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

What do you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSSHnIZnYSI

(I still hold some nostalgic love for MADTv because I watched all of it when I was a kid, this is not one of the <3 parts)

I remember the George Lucas sketch around the time the prequels came out to be really good.

I thought I remembered a ton of talent coming out of MADtv, but looking back it was really just Phil LaMarr and Key & Peele. The reason I remembered there being more talent was that the first time I had that thought, I was like 18 and thought Family Guy (where a bunch of MADtv regulars ended up as voice actors) was amazing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So you haven't seen My own Private Idaho then? Or Sam Raimi's The Gift?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

I remember the George Lucas sketch around the time the prequels came out to be really good.

I thought I remembered a ton of talent coming out of MADtv, but looking back it was really just Phil LaMarr and Key & Peele. The reason I remembered there being more talent was that the first time I had that thought, I was like 18 and thought Family Guy (where a bunch of MADtv regulars ended up as voice actors) was amazing.
The iRack will never not be funny. I used to watch MadTv a lot because I think SNL kind of sucked in the early 2000s.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

George Lucas wheeling Oprah around Skywalker Ranch will never not crack me up.

Edit: it wasn't Oprah, but their Oprah was great too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Babe Watch was a pretty good skit on there but Artie Lange's related cocaine story is one of the funnest things you'll ever hear.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BJPaskoff posted:

I thought I remembered a ton of talent coming out of MADtv, but looking back it was really just Phil LaMarr and Key & Peele.

Hey, now, Orlando Jones, Nicole Sullivan, and Will Sasso might not be big name movie stars, but they're still pretty darned talented!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Andy Daly was on Mad TV and he's like one of the funniest guys ever

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The talent was never the problem, it was that they built the show around breakout recurring characters like "the Asian woman" and "a little boy."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I liked the cabana lady, she was a good parody of washed up stars

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
The sketch where Randy Newman and Rob Zombie write songs for the Star Wars prequels was pretty funny - I still sing snippets of those stupid songs to myself sometimes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Will Sasso as Steven Seagal was very funny.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MariusLecter posted:

Will Sasso as Steven Seagal was very funny.

Will Sasso as Fred Durst is classic.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's probably been over a decade since I watched MadTV but I still know like every line of the Spishak oven for kids sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3BqDf_MbM

A lot of Mr. Show people worked on it so it could be good when it wanted to.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MariusLecter posted:

Vincent D'Onofrio would be great as Eisenhorn in a Warhammer 40K movie based on the Eisenhorn series by Dan Abnett.

For a second I thought you meant Vince Vaughn and pictured a very different film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Guy Mann posted:

It's probably been over a decade since I watched MadTV but I still know like every line of the Spishak oven for kids sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3BqDf_MbM

A lot of Mr. Show people worked on it so it could be good when it wanted to.

It's biggest problem was trying to be an edgier/raunchier SNL and relying on recurring characters way too much. It was very funny when it leaned into its performers best abilities.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

LesterGroans posted:

It's biggest problem was trying to be an edgier/raunchier SNL and relying on recurring characters way too much. It was very funny when it leaned into its performers best abilities.

I always heard MadTV had to rely on the recurring characters so much because they just didn't have the budget and had to keep sticking to stuff that they know kind of work with little set work. This is especially apparent when comparing the variety of sketch/locations of the first couple of years compared towards the end.

Will Sasso could make anything funny as Kenny Rogers through....

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Will Sasso as Fred Durst is classic.

Everything Will Sasso did for MadTV was great. His lumber/builder dude that ended up maiming himself every time was extremely my poo poo back then.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Everything Will Sasso did for MadTV was great. His lumber/builder dude that ended up maiming himself every time was extremely my poo poo back then.

Sasso killed Home Improvements Tool Time segments for me with that character. Similar thing happened to me even being able to hate watch NCIS after a few episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This has always been my favorite Mad TV sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW5VJ4_DLG0

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpnNhfL74bs

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Also loved MadTV's "The Sopranos" edited for PAX TV.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

If this thread is just posting MadTV sketches now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgBD94cs0T8

Sasso's Gandolfini kills me.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

LesterGroans posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CpAE9c1lN8

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

I wish I could find the clip of Will Sasso doing De Niro impressions for little kids, and getting really into the Raging Bull impression to the point that he starts taunting the little kid to punch him in the face. That poo poo had me dying.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
MadTV only ever had one good sketch and it was Kenny Rogers' Jackass.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was Phil Lamarr talking about how he never got to play the "black" guy on shows and thought Mad TV would be different until he discovered that they hired another BLACKER guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

UBS Guy was pretty funny.

• Locked thread