Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Looks like we have our first blood sacrifice to the 2020 primary.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/892442069553250304

I haven't been in D&D for long, and this is assuredly :can:, but has Obama ever commented on a potential Sanders 2020?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kefkafloyd posted:

Even if they did make new-build 747-8s to replace the existing VC-25s, they would be the same as these white tails because all of the modifications to turn them into VC-25 replacements are done by a completely separate group to a completed airframe. That's what was done with the previous 707s and 747s, and will be done with the new jet as well.

Thanks, that's something I was wondering about while reading it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fsif posted:

Only five Democrats voted against Trump's hand-picked FBI replacement.

all of his hand-picked fbi replacements were quietly killed by republicans in the senate (christie, guilani, lieberman, conyrn, some others) telling trump they were unconfirmable

there's been no reason anyone can come up with why wray isn't a good head of the fbi and it's a minor miracle trump nominated someone that is acceptable and the thing to do is to get them approved before trump can realize that his advisors didn't give him a loyalist

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

God forbid somebody combat climate change for the wrong reasons. Ideological purity uber alles.

Kale
May 14, 2010

fsif posted:

Only five Democrats voted against Trump's hand-picked FBI replacement.

It's not some random rear end idiot he found on Wall Street or unqualified clown like DeVos this time though. This guy once recommended Yates to her position at DoJ. Trust me if the Democratic caucus voted to confirm him it's not without good reason.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
Dumb question but is NKs infrastructure not networked, is there anyway we could stuxnet not just their nuclear research but their military comm system and then bombard the country with propaganda?
'Dear leader can't even feed you, your cousins in South Korea will be forgiving etc... '. Would maybe buy some time.
Isn't the usual recourse to bribe people into a coup?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
A hand-picked FBI replacement from Trump would have one job, and hat's to fire Mueller and shutter all investigations into the Trump family within 5 minutes of being sworn in. This guy doesn't seem to be it.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Any news about the Russia sanctions bill that conveniently got lost in the mail?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

evilweasel posted:

all of his hand-picked fbi replacements were quietly killed by republicans in the senate (christie, guilani, lieberman, conyrn, some others) telling trump they were unconfirmable

there's been no reason anyone can come up with why wray isn't a good head of the fbi and it's a minor miracle trump nominated someone that is acceptable and the thing to do is to get them approved before trump can realize that his advisors didn't give him a loyalist

His wikipedia page seems pretty tame, except lol:

quote:

During his time at King & Spalding, Wray acted as New Jersey Governor Chris Christie's personal attorney during the Bridgegate scandal.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Delthalaz posted:

Any news about the Russia sanctions bill that conveniently got lost in the mail?

Last I heard was just the White House saying "Sanctions bill? Never heard of it," this morning.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Wray failed to account for missing evidence in a case recently, representing Christie over that hosed up thing he and his gremlins pulled. Where they decided that they were playing Sim city with millions of people and closed a major bridge.

He works with people who move russian money, like every other Republican these days. But I don't know if that's incidental to the fact the US is a haven for russian klepto cash or not. He's a questionable pick.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

n3wt posted:

Dumb question but is NKs infrastructure not networked, is there anyway we could stuxnet not just their nuclear research but their military comm system and then bombard the country with propaganda?
'Dear leader can't even feed you, your cousins in South Korea will be forgiving etc... '. Would maybe buy some time.

north korea has its own weird bespoke internet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwangmyong_(network)

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 1, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kale posted:

It's not some random rear end idiot he found on Wall Street or unqualified clown like DeVos this time though. This guy once recommended Yates to her position at DoJ. Trust me if the Democratic caucus voted to confirm him it's not without good reason.

Yeah my feeling is that there was a quiet understanding that Senate Republicans would block any partisan nominee, and Democrats would, in return, agree to support a qualified nominee. Republicans have just as much to fear from politicization of the FBI as anyone else, and Trump isn't looking to politicize the FBI for the benefit of the Republican Party, he's looking to politicize it for his personal legal troubles. This seems like a rare case of the Senate acting like it should. There's a reason this guy got nominated instead of the murderer's row of trump toadies and lackies that got floated in the press, and it wasn't trump's unending respect for the need for a nonpartisan professional at the FBI.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Varam posted:

No, Buck's entire complaint is that the party isn't doing *enough* to ruin the lives of poors and minorities. He's not mad about the values, he's mad that they're struggling to follow through on them.

That's what I mean, Trump's rude 'n crude ways are making it harder for them to stealthily destroy non-richies

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

n3wt posted:

Two problems: First, South Korea would have a huge humanitarian crisis on their hands that would rival Syria's refugee problem if the citizens of the North defected, and second the US most likely couldn't hack an Arduino given how easily we get clowned on by the Chinese and Russians. I think Stuxnet is a fluke, not business as usual.

E: I spell as bad as we secure our IT

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 1, 2017

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

The Gwangmyeong City is home to the world's largest IKEA store at 59,000 square meters (640,000 square feet)

:aaa:

lol when broken links still work.

But seriously that is a BIG IKEA

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 1, 2017

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Giggy posted:

How come the Dems didn't stop it!!!! <- not sincere.

No one's asking them to stop it, but you'd think there might be just a liiiiiiiittle more resistance to Trump picking his own FBI director after, you know, the whole Comey thing. But I'm sure the guy who represented Chris Christie during Bridgegate is on the level.

evilweasel posted:

I mean, do we know this? I didn't think any of those ever extended past anything more than just Twitter rumors.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

boner confessor posted:

Hell fuckin yeah Costco

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

I haven't been in D&D for long, and this is assuredly :can:, but has Obama ever commented on a potential Sanders 2020?

Bernie will be 79 on Election Day 2020. There's more chance of Sarah Huckabee Sanders running.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Bernie will be 79 on Election Day 2020. There's more chance of Sarah Huckabee Sanders running.

Now swearing in the 46th President of these United States, President Spock Eyebrow McNoSmiles. :raise:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fsif posted:

I mean, do we know this? I didn't think any of those ever extended past anything more than just Twitter rumors.

Cornyn was apparently very interested in the position but was waved off by his colleagues (which takes a lot, for a Republican senate to reject a sitting Republican senator). Lieberman recieved a formal interview. Gowdy (of benghazi fame) and Cornyn were both considered seriously enough to publicly withdraw themselves from consideration. I don't think Guilani and Christie were official enough but I'm sure Trump wanted them to be.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

boner confessor posted:

Fascinating stuff, thanks.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what's this new guy mean for any ongoing investigations

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

fsif posted:

No one's asking them to stop it, but you'd think there might be just a liiiiiiiittle more resistance to Trump picking his own FBI director after, you know, the whole Comey thing. But I'm sure the guy who represented Chris Christie during Bridgegate is on the level.

They're just trying to appeal to "bipartisanship," which Americans support except when it happens. They're now using the GOP's tactic of saying they want to work with Republicans but the GOP refuses (Dems shouldn't try to work with Republicans and probably won't).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

evilweasel posted:

remind me, were there sitting democratic us senators and us representatives writing articles about how the democratic party was poo poo 6 months into obama's first term

No, but there should have been.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Looks like we have our first blood sacrifice to the 2020 primary.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/892442069553250304

Time to watch the right freak out over Obama quietly endorsing a black man.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Look at this cave!

Enjoy a Refreshing Trip to Gwangmyeong Cave!

:wow:
Now I wanna visit Gwangmyeong !

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Calaveron posted:

Trump woudln't have picked him if he didn't think he could hinder or quash the investigation.

Kale
May 14, 2010

As far as I understand it inner party North Korean officials have some limited access to the internet routed through China. The Kim family apparently has full on access. The general populace has access to a form of Intranet that was linked here (you have to copy past the full link though otherwise you get a city district from South Korea with the awesome Ikea and Costco store) called the Kwangmyong centered around party propaganda.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Calaveron posted:

As far as I'm aware it depends. It shouldn't really bother Mueller, since he is acting independently of the FBI.

Your Taint posted:

Trump woudln't have picked him if he didn't think he could hinder or quash the investigation.

Trump seems to think a lot of things.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Do you think Sanders et al would vote in favor of an FBI director who will hinder or quash the investigation?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Your Taint posted:

40 senate democrats wouldn't have voted for him if they believed that's what he was going to do and i trust their ability to evaluate people better than i trust trump's

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Duke Igthorn posted:

Jesus Christ the ONLY thing Trump seems to know is how to be a tyrant.

he's actually pretty bad at that too tbh

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kale posted:

As far as I understand it inner party North Korean officials have some limited access to the internet routed through China. The Kim family apparently has full on access. The general populace has access to a form of Intranet that was linked here (you have to copy past the full link though otherwise you get a city district from South Korea with the awesome Ikea and Costco store) called the Kwangmyong centered around party propaganda.

and it's almost certain that north korea hasn't hooked anything critical up to the internet because they dont have the idiot fever for bolting internet to toasters, dishwashers, and vibrators like we do here in the west

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sebmojo posted:

he's actually pretty bad at that too tbh

thank god our wanna-be dictator cannot stop making enemies of the security forces

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

fsif posted:

You're saying you dont want them to vote against every potential fbi director, just the ones nominated by the president. that's...I hope you can see the problem there.

anyway, why vote against when he picks someone broadly acceptable?

eg
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/892501960460554241

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

evilweasel posted:

40 senate democrats wouldn't have voted for him if they believed that's what he was going to do and i trust their ability to evaluate people better than i trust trump's

You're probably right, but then I don't understand why they didn't put up at least token resistance or why they gave out five hall passes.

Kale
May 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

and it's almost certain that north korea hasn't hooked anything critical up to the internet because they dont have the idiot fever for bolting internet to toasters, dishwashers, and vibrators like we do here in the west

It can only be accessed from within Korea so yeah. There might be some way to backdoor into the Kim families access via China but since it's routed through a country that'd be all over that in a heartbeat and such a limited channel it's doubtful. It'd instantly be noticed by Chinese and/or DRPK officials.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

for someone obsessed with how propaganda causes people to become completely out of touch with reality, you sure do uncritically accept propaganda when it's something you want to believe.

cherry-picked statements of defectors might have a reason to present facts at a particular slant, you know. I'm not saying any nonsense about Best Korea but the fact you don't even talk about the influence of the generals over Jong Un makes your ignorance readily apparent. This and your statements on Russia scream that you are using a system that kind of describes America well to spout off about any country in a completely ahistorical manner. Stick to your own thread, and your own country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So I've noticed something odd happening over at /pol/ and The_Donald today. I've been observing (hate reading) both of those forums for some time and the amount of Russian bots/shills on both of them was always pretty blatant- until today. While some of the Russian bots/trolls blend in quite well there has never been a lack of easily spotted shills. However, today for whatever reason the Russian spambots seem to have been turned off on both sites and the moderation team on The_Donald seems to be nowhere near as quick to memory-hole any criticism of dear leader. As a result both forums have something vaguely resembling dissent starting to creep in and it is confusing the natives who have grown accustomed to Russian bots drowning

Both forums are presently screaming that they are under a massive and coordinated attack by Soros-shills and that this must mean they are getting close to something important. I wonder if this is Putin starting to follow through on some of his threats to Trump by pulling back the psyop support that has helped keep his base together?

• Locked thread