Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

platzapS posted:

What does "all power to the locals" actually mean? Taken at face value it sounds really dumb.

look English is terribly lacking in cool words like soviets alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Ohh if it's just a soviet joke nevermind.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I was more worried about hard-decentralizing instincts like this:

Larry Parrish posted:

The only thing national should be doing in my book is hiring policy wonks to write laws for potential leftist candidates and organize the convention.

I think there are certain responsibilities that the national org is better capable of handling, including

-Redustribution of internal resources from big established locals to smaller new ones
-Being the court of last resort for member grievances
-Being the voice of the org when interacting with non-US groups
-Coordinating (voluntary) national campaigns/days of action

platzapS has issued a correction as of 17:16 on Aug 1, 2017

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

So the thing about resource redistribution is it's good as hell in theory but in practice the more centralist slate is pushing the less redistributive kickback plan - that is, Momentum wants a fixed percentage of dues to go back to locals, whereas Praxis has a progressive breakdown with smaller locals receiving a larger percentage of dues from corresponding regions. Mind you, both of them proposing any sort of funding return to locals at all is progress.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

So the thing about resource redistribution is it's good as hell in theory but in practice the more centralist slate is pushing the less redistributive kickback plan - that is, Momentum wants a fixed percentage of dues to go back to locals, whereas Praxis has a progressive breakdown with smaller locals receiving a larger percentage of dues from corresponding regions. Mind you, both of them proposing any sort of funding return to locals at all is progress.
I didn't know this! Definitely with Praxis here then.

In other news I am reading about the after-hours events in Chicago and worried that teetotalers are going to have outsized influence on the next days' debates.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/892410512880926721

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the numbers are one thing but "biggest since WWII" is an interesting anecdote

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

This is pretty cool even if it is a bit silly :toot:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Galaxy brain: it's time to start purging people that aren't fully committed to the cause

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ChickenOfTomorrow has issued a correction as of 06:08 on Aug 5, 2019

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

SomeMathGuy posted:

critical support for Praxis in its struggle against coastal imperialism IMO.

:agreed:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
don't you think that by associating members with a specific perspective through a group message that the new friends and comrades affinity group is exactly the same as any of the other slates? i agree with the message and all and welcome the introduction of a specifically anarchist perspective to the NPC race but i think its a little silly to push "we're not a slate, we're a cool mom." especially when there are very reasonable critiques to make of extant slates.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

that's a great question to which I don't know the full answer!

I do know that:

- when LSC-affiliated candidates discussed slates, the consensus was that we were opposed to the concept of slates, felt that it would be problematic for us to profess to represent a caucus or group without a full consensus process, and wish to emphasize that delegates can - and in my opinion should - be voting for individuals rather than slates or groups
- many of us joined the NPC race late enough that there would have been no time to organize a formal slate even if we agreed with the concept
- the Friends and Comrades group came in part because candidates have been getting "hey so who running is in LSC?" questions
- you should definitely ask one of the other candidates listed on the Friends and Comrades site about this as each of us has thoughts
- I am going to refrain from campaigning on this thread, but PM me if you want to discuss or ask me questions.

oh word, I get the distinction based around wanting to have a platform reached by consensus. That clears up a lot for me, thanks.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

I am going to refrain from campaigning on this thread

Did you learn nothing from Hillary

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!

Business Gorillas posted:

Otoh someone way more online than me in my chapter said that RL has alienated everyone in Praxis

Is there any nugget of truth to this?

I'd be interested to hear about this. I met R.L. at my local meetings and he seems pretty cool.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
momentum has started a rumor campaign against r.l. so i wouldn't trust much what an extremely online person says.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Impermanent posted:

momentum has started a rumor campaign against r.l. so i wouldn't trust much what an extremely online person says.

where do ya'll get this stuff

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

this group of NPC candidates that are affiliated with the LibSoc caucus is not a slate!

it's a coalition of Friends and Comrades standing in mutual support, whose information is gathered here in one convenient location: https://medium.com/dsa-friends-and-comrades/introducing-dsa-friends-and-comrades-2ce41530bb70

Besides my general ideological support as a member of the libsoc caucus, Jetta Rae specifically is someone I know to be good as hell and a passionate, dedicated, and effective organizer. Her anti-sexist and anti-racist work are inspirational, and I think the DSA could only benefit from having her as a guiding force.

drat, I really wish I were going to Chicago.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Karl Barks posted:

where do ya'll get this stuff

By being extremely online, I imagine

I'm just happy we decided our delegates are bound to the chapter because holy poo poo do I not have enough time to keep my thumb on the Facebook groups, rocketchat, twitterverse, and whatever the hell else people are using

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

i do not understand twitter like at all

how does a twitter have 700 people following but like 3000 followers

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Galaxy brain: it's time to start purging people that aren't fully committed to the cause

purge all the Daves imo

still not sure about Davids but definitely purge all the Daves

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Grand Prize Winner posted:

the following count is how many accounts that person is following
the follower count is how many accounts that are following that person

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

the account is following 700 people and is in turn followed by 3000

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

it's because their design is garbage and it should reading the number second in the phrase for how many people said account Follows

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/brutapologist/status/892406910917517312

https://twitter.com/brutapologist/status/892411196015509504

https://twitter.com/brutapologist/status/892414237666156544

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

turn texas (actual) red

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Speaking of Texas, I'm in the Austin area and I'd like to get involved with the DSA but I haven't been able to make the Thursday meetings. It looks like there's a WilCo DSA now which is awesome! I guess they are still working on finding a place to meet but I'm totally excited to get involved.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

this group of NPC candidates that are affiliated with the LibSoc caucus is not a slate!

it's a coalition of Friends and Comrades standing in mutual support, whose information is gathered here in one convenient location: https://medium.com/dsa-friends-and-comrades/introducing-dsa-friends-and-comrades-2ce41530bb70
"No you see we're anarchists, it's totally not a state slate!"

(Good luck :))

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Otoh someone way more online than me in my chapter said that RL has alienated everyone in Praxis

Is there any nugget of truth to this?

no

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I made the hour and a half drive and went to the Orlando chapter meeting yesterday - my first meeting. Probably 30-40 people? I'm terrible at estimating that... Good mix of people, everyone was really nice, and it seems like they're working on some good poo poo

If anyone was there I was the dude in the DSA shirt

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Oh but most importantly, I learned at dinner that their delegates seemed to dislike momentum send like praxis the appropriate amounts

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Thank you. This is very helpful.

We are changing a few things due to issues we ran into:

1) We restrict who can vote to active members, and only establish active membership through general meetings. We decided to allow people who go to working group or committee meetings to be considered active members and allowed to vote. When people show up to weekly working group/committee meetings and yet have trouble making the general a couple times, they shouldn't lose their voting rights. As such, we through near-unanimous vote decided that people who are active in Working Groups or Committees can vote in general meetings if approved by either working group/committee co-chair.

The particulars of this are possibly changing as there are 2 main options for how we want to change this, either nomination by the co-chair as one, or attending 2 of the last 5 working group/committee meetings.

The opposition to this was by some people who are pretty parliamentarian and think that we should've changed the bylaws before allowing that.

2) As our bylaws are written, the Steering Committee has to facilitate all general meetings themselves. It takes a lot of work to be on the Steering Committee and we want more than just the same few people facilitating all the time. The Steering Committee was given the authority to find facilitators instead of having to do it themselves every time.

I think this was unopposed.

3) We elected an all woman-identifying Steering Committee. The understanding from the bylaws-writing working group was that banning this was result was unintended and that the purpose of the language had been to prevent two men as co-chairs. By unanimous vote we decided to ignore this part of our bylaws and correct the bylaws to match intention afterwards.

When is your bylaw drafting meeting? Ours was intense.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
R.L. is a very nice and cool dude and I hope that the Momentum plan and the Praxis plan can be decided between without any hard feelings.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

there are more options than just Momentum or Praxis. please don't present it as just a two-choice thing.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

there are more options than just Momentum or Praxis. please don't present it as just a two-choice thing.

https://twitter.com/jacofinmag/status/892480147797966852

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

big black turnout posted:

I made the hour and a half drive and went to the Orlando chapter meeting yesterday - my first meeting. Probably 30-40 people? I'm terrible at estimating that... Good mix of people, everyone was really nice, and it seems like they're working on some good poo poo

If anyone was there I was the dude in the DSA shirt

Hello it was me in Red Eugene Debs shirt

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

MrWilderheap posted:

Speaking of Texas, I'm in the Austin area and I'd like to get involved with the DSA but I haven't been able to make the Thursday meetings. It looks like there's a WilCo DSA now which is awesome! I guess they are still working on finding a place to meet but I'm totally excited to get involved.

Hey, that's me! I'm the co-chair of Wilco DSA! Right now we're struggling on meeting places, yeah, because Williamson County loving sucks and has nowhere you can meet that isn't a crowded restaurant or cost $50/hr minimum. We're meeting at a member's house in Leander this Sunday if you want to drop by! Another member and I won't be there since we'll be in Chicago for the convention, but the meeting's gonna be headed up by my fellow co-chair and it should hopefully be pretty productive!

EDIT: Speaking of the convention, is there any plans for a goon outing one night? I'll be bringing a couple board/party games since our delegation has a bunch of nerds in it and gently caress yeah board games, but I think it'd be kinda neat to go meet some goony neckbeards for a drink or something.

surfacelevelspeck has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
the Iowa City crew is road tripping to the convention and it's getting a bit esoteric. :love:

https://twitter.com/dsaiowacity/status/892793148023250944