Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Apparently the RWM is all in uproar about the Seth Rich conspiracy. Cassandra Fairbanks released some audio that says Aaron Rich, his brother, was restricting access to his laptop and they're all saying this is the smoking gun for Seth Rich now. Funny how that pops up the same day that NPR's story was published.

They released 30 minutes of uncut audio so no way in hell I'm going to waste my time analyzing that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nerdz posted:

Apparently the RWM is all in uproar about the Seth Rich conspiracy. Cassandra Fairbanks released some audio that says Aaron Rich, his brother, was restricting access to his laptop and they're all saying this is the smoking gun for Seth Rich now. Funny how that pops up the same day that NPR's story was published.

last i heard the laptop was in police custody and wasn't being released

conspiracy theorists need to get their story straight

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/892521098662858752

quote:

Greg Andres started on Tuesday, becoming the 16th lawyer on the team, said Josh Stueve, a spokesman for the special counsel.

Most recently a white-collar criminal defense lawyer with New York law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell, Andres, 50, served at the Justice Department from 2010 to 2012. He was deputy assistant attorney general in the criminal division, where he oversaw the fraud unit and managed the program that targeted illegal foreign bribery.

:thunk:

Kale
May 14, 2010

I still firmly believe that the /pol/ and R/The_Donald thing is just a bunch of bandwagon teenagers who may not even all be of majority to vote anyway blowing off steam about the whole PC thing they seem upset about from having to go to school or University and listen to all the time and thinking their part of some counterculture movement that's pushing back against it with Donald Trump as their champion. They don't seem to understand the policy of it or how it ACTUALLY affect them, they just see it as "libtards" they hate from school getting "BTFO" and I never attributed the movement much steam. Without anything to actually rally around anymore and with teenagers being fickle in their interests they'd move onto something else stupid to shitpost about within a year or two regardless.

There's nothing to shitpost right now, nobody is getting "BTFO" besides Trump himself at this rate. The post election boom in his anti-PC rhetoric (which is what these teens latched onto, not the policy itself they can't even begin to comprehend, the fact it was so anti-PC and establishment which any idiot could be aware of) seemingly being validated is long over now that he's getting stymied at seemingly ever turn and his actual popularity polling among the real population that matters is abysmal.

It's possible that they might have all just collectively looked up from their shitposting finally to see that Trump just got his rear end handed to him all last week and arguably all last month and that he isn't talking about getting those "SJW's" and immigrants out of the country so much anymore. What's all this talk about Healthcare, a Russian investigation that keeps expanding, tax reform and a transgender ban that might have gotten them going again because it pisses off the "SJW's" but got ignored by the Joint Chiefs of Staff because twitter isn't part of the real chain of command? They don't get it anymore and that lovely thing called reality eventually has to sink in a bit when there's clearly no "winning"....like in the slightest.

That said I think the hardcore MAGA people are for real. That 25-35% of the adult GOP base people talked about and that's the scary thing, not the dumbass teens on 4chan and reddit, the Breitbarters and Fox News consuming types.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 2, 2017

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Does Mueller really need all these lawyers? How complicated could the Seth Rich murder and her emails be?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I really hope Seth Rich's wraith haunts all these people until the day they die.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Kale, I think it's dangerous to claim that these are just bored kids with "nothing to rally around". Many if not most of them claim to be alt-right. They are clearly rallied around something: Nationalism and white supremacy.

Edit: brushing it off as kids being kids completely ignores the hateful ideology that they're so happy to associate themselves with.

White supremacists and nationalists are not just some fun hipster counter culture that it's ok to into because they're bored or whatever

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 2, 2017

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Zil posted:

Also does anyone feel that they are also looking to Gore to run in 2020 as well?

the gently caress

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Gore is popping up because he's promoting a sequel to an inconvenient truth.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its like they want Zuckerberg to take over their party.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How old is gore now? I'd vote for him, don't care
poo poo I'd vote for Carter

Kale
May 14, 2010

Riptor posted:

the gently caress

Al Gore 20 years later presidential rerun. Do it!

Realistically though who even looks strong within the Democratic congress besides Sanders. I don't see people going for Schumer really. I guess there's Warren and McCaskill maybe but again somehow I just don't see the former either?

e: I meant Harris not McCaskill

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kale posted:

Realistically though who even looks strong within the Democratic congress besides Sanders. I don't see people going for Schumer really. I guess there's Warren and McCaskill maybe but again somehow I just don't see the former either?

Obviously, they should run Schumer.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Carter didn't look like a stiff wind would kill him I'd be very much okay with him on the ticket if only to see the attack ads somehow bend his Habitat for Humanity work into something evil. The reach to end all reaches.

e. Jesus he'd be 95 in 2020.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
Jonh Kerry should run again just to make the primaries as uncharismatic as possible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I want a Carter/Sanders old as gently caress ticket.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In 2020 I believe he'll literally be the same age as Trump was when he got elected.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kale posted:

Schumer isn't running. Might be the only Dem senator who isnt.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Red Baron posted:

If Carter didn't look like a stiff wind would kill him I'd be very much okay with him on the ticket if only to see the attack ads somehow bend his Habitat for Humanity work into something evil. The reach to end all reaches.

e. Jesus he'd be 95 in 2020.

Jimmy Carter will never die.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

theres a will theres moe posted:

Gore is popping up because he's promoting a sequel to an inconvenient truth.

Jokes on him, the masses will always prefer a reassuring lie to an inconvenient truth, every time.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mantis42 posted:

You have no idea how badly I want Carter to outlive Trump.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

Careful, this is how Lemmy died.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Mantis42 posted:

Well, I just looked it up and he's apparently still out there building more houses, what a tough old fucker. (Though he's doing it in America Jr. right now, I'm sure that'll be some kind of mortal sin in the political realm.)

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You have no idea how badly I want Carter to outlive Trump.

Simpsons Histories Greatest Monster vs. Possible Actual Greatest Monster at least in American political history terms.

Jimmy Carter probably built affordable housing for a poor family somewhere in a Trump voting poor red district this Summer. What have you accomplished for your base this summer Don? :colbert:

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

Kale, I think it's dangerous to claim that these are just bored kids with "nothing to rally around". Many if not most of them claim to be alt-right. They are clearly rallied around something: Nationalism and white supremacy.

Edit: brushing it off as kids being kids completely ignores the hateful ideology that they're so happy to associate themselves with.

I don't think it's boredom, but there are probably other factors at play here than the allure of white supremacy on its merits. Kids are, by and large, dumb. They're desperate for friendship, validation, and social status. Those that cannot get those things in a typical manner are often willing to accept flawed substitutes.

Last year I worked with a kid with autism, Latino, with undocumented parents, who was befriended by white supremacists while playing payday 2 and then went full MAGA at his overwhelmingly nonwhite high school. It was all attention-seeking behavior and inability to understand his online friends were not actually his friends.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jimmy Carter got brain cancer and God transferred it to John McCain like that scene in the Green Mile.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't want any senators to run. I'd rather a House Representative or governor run.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Julio Cruz posted:

Bernie will be 79 on Election Day 2020. There's more chance of Sarah Huckabee Sanders running.

So? Biden will be 78, and that hasn't stopped endless will he / won't he articles.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Tammy Duckworth 2020

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

JeffersonClay posted:

I don't think it's boredom, but there are probably other factors at play here than the allure of white supremacy on its merits. Kids are, by and large, dumb. They're desperate for friendship, validation, and social status. Those that cannot get those things in a typical manner are often willing to accept flawed substitutes.

Last year I worked with a kid with autism, Latino, with undocumented parents, who was befriended by white supremacists while playing payday 2 and then went full MAGA at his overwhelmingly nonwhite high school. It was all attention-seeking behavior and inability to understand his online friends were not actually his friends.

So, my volunteer work is in special needs.

Basically, ^^^^^

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Spaced God posted:

Tammy Duckworth 2020

I like Duckworth a lot and I'm really hoping someone doesn't milkshake duck(worth) her to me.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Koalas March posted:

White supremacists and nationalists are not just some fun hipster counter culture that it's ok to into because they're bored or whatever

I don't know I really just think they're "rallied" around it because they have this fixation on the SJW movement that swept through the schools under the Obama administration that's probably been a huge obstruction to the YOLO "free speech" (read "my feeling that I have a divine right to shitpost and spew reactionary bullshit I don't even necessarily believe in anywhere and everywhere for the sole sake of sitting back and watching people act offended by it") lifestyle twitter and the internet has made them feel entitled to. I think it's a reactionary thing combined with general stupidity that's common among teens in any era let alone one with access to a constant stream of bullshit from twitter and the like. Not saying Donald Trump didn't tap into that, but I just don't think this is a thing for them into their adult years. Certainly not late adult years.

Like I said though the Breitbart, Alex Jones, Fox News and RealDonaldTrump as my only source of news fuckers in their adult years I 100% believe are for real and am afraid of. There's definitely a real alt-right movement in America and a possible 35% guaranteed voter base no matter what for Trump is a terrifying prospect even if it just keeps him from getting primaried out if the establishment full on sours on him by 2020.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 2, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So like how big is this team and how many legal nerd all stars are in it and why hasn't anything come out of it yet
And I know that if there IS something these dudes are super carefully dotting their i's and crossing their t's because holy hotdang based on the leaky leaks there is a lot of fire to account for all the smoke but come onnnnnn

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BrianBoitano posted:

So? Biden will be 78, and that hasn't stopped endless will he / won't he articles.

Diamond Joe knows no age.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Spaced God posted:

Tammy Duckworth 2020

Or Nina Harris

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think i would also prefer a presidential candidate that was born sometime after the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Calaveron posted:

So like how big is this team and how many legal nerd all stars are in it and why hasn't anything come out of it yet
And I know that if there IS something these dudes are super carefully dotting their i's and crossing their t's because holy hotdang based on the leaky leaks there is a lot of fire to account for all the smoke but come onnnnnn

What are they gonna do? Not to mention you want to get everyone involved and figure out everything that happened that takes a while.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Trump said that the head of the Boy Scouts called him and thanked him for giving the greatest speech ever made to that organization. The Boy Scouts apologized for the speech, and now upper Boy Scout managment or whatever is pushing back and saying that, surprise, Trump is full of poo poo.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-boy-scouts-speech-wsj_us_5980e465e4b02b36343e94dd

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Kale posted:

e: I meant Harris not McCaskill

I saw a screening of Al Gore's new film An Inconvenient Sequel and Al Gore was there to do a Q&A. During the film and the Q&A afterwards, he made it pretty clear he wasn't interested in running again. That said, he did talk a lot of poo poo about Trump in the Q&A (which makes sense, since a chunk of the film revolves around him helping to negotiate the Paris Climate Agreement).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Calaveron posted:

16 I think and its probably because each time they lift a rock on someone they find new holes to go down. This probably implies that there are a lot of people involved too which means more time spent investigating each lead. Its going to be a year+ until anything solid comes from this I bet.

• Locked thread