Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://twitter.com/torresrg1023/status/891803239884128257

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bitcoin is splitting in two.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jesus, the article is like a paragraph long but the site tries to load two auto-play videos and as many pop-ups and alerts as humanly possible. What is this garbage.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lime Tonics posted:

They trashed their wedding photographer over a $125 fee, so a jury told them to pay her $1 million

An autumn affair at the Petroleum Club in downtown Dallas, the union of a full-time beauty blogger and the love of her life, appeared to be a gorgeous thing — marred by one misfortune.

Three months after the ceremony, in front of a local television crew, Andrew and Neely Moldovan showed off a box of empty picture frames.

Their photographer was withholding the images, they told NBC affiliate KXAS in January 2015, and was demanding an extra $150 when they’d already paid thousands.

“It’s heartbreaking, because, you know, these are our memories,” Neely Moldovan said.

And many agreed.

And then the story changed.

Polito sued the Moldovans, claiming all they ever had to do to get their glossies was fill out a form, choose options for their wedding album and pay a small charge they had long known about.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-her-1-million/

Here they are deleting all comments about this, and trying to pretend nothing happened.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Neelykins/posts/

When the public tide turns against you, stop digging a hole. Just stop.

quote:

broke down and chose our wedding album photos…80 out of 4000 yeah that was like sophies choice

This is literally what everyone does after their wedding. The photographer for my wedding was saying that a couple he had done a shoot for the weekend before us requested that he use all of the photos he took for the album. He said he was tempted to ask them whether they would organise a forklift to carry it for them or if they wanted him to do it, and how they would like to pay the extra $18,000. We chose something like 55 photos out of a possible 1200 for our album.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Foxhound posted:

Get owned

Eh, it's hard for me to feel bad for photographers since they all want to act like they're the only ones who can make an album. Just take the pictures, give me the RAW files and I'll decide what to do with them.

vvv Well obviously they should pay, that goes without saying, but they paid multiple thousands of dollars. Seems like enough to me 🤷‍♀️vvv

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Aug 2, 2017

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
gently caress no man the raws belong to him, that's kind of the thing. Depending on your pay scheme, he might charge based on the final amount of photos selected and actual raw files sent. Some guys do day-rate but not everyone, he's gotta gatekeeper that poo poo in order to make money or else people could say WELP I'VE GOT THE RAWS GO gently caress YOURSELF.

It's like thinking you get the work files from an artist or animator or something just because they made some drawings for you. gently caress no, not unless you pay extra.

EDIT: Also - not every photographer wants you, your mom and all your family trying to "make their images better" with Photoshop, which is another reason to hold back raws. Sure, you think it's yours to do what you like with, but for them it's an advertisement of their work, and they've gotta protect it appropriately.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Aug 2, 2017

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Glazier posted:

vvv Well obviously they should pay, that goes without saying, but they paid multiple thousands of dollars. Seems like enough to me 🤷‍♀️vvv

Up until the part where the couple agreed in the contract to the rates. If they didn't like the rates then they should have renegotiated the contract or refused to sign it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

duffmensch posted:

Up until the part where the couple agreed in the contract to the rates. If they didn't like the rates then they should have renegotiated the contract or refused to sign it.

Yeah they should have asked up front, I just hate the attitude that a lot of photographers have.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Glazier posted:

Yeah they should have asked up front, I just hate the attitude that a lot of photographers have.

Taking good photos is hard, and cameras are complicated.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You point and click, it aint loving chinese algebra

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Nuebot posted:

Taking good photos is hard, and cameras are complicated.

Many jobs utilize difficult to operate equipment, but most people don't hold their work product hostage from their clients.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Glazier posted:

Many jobs utilize difficult to operate equipment, but most people don't hold their work product hostage from their clients.

It isn't rocket science. It wasn't suddenly taken from them, the work was done by the photographer, it's the photographers artwork and he owns it. They just happen to be the subject of the artwork. What they get is what was agreed upon in the contract. If you ask for a statue and you don't pay for it do you suddenly get the marble slab for free?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Glazier posted:

Yes, they do.

When you buy a Blu-Ray, Sony doesn't send you the film masters. When you hire someone to dig a ditch for you, they don't sign the backhoe over to you when they're done. When you buy some fast food, the Colonel doesn't give you an itemized list of his 11 herbs and spices*.

*6 portions salt, 5 portions pepper

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Nuebot posted:

Jesus, the article is like a paragraph long but the site tries to load two auto-play videos and as many pop-ups and alerts as humanly possible. What is this garbage.

Ad fraud.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yes, they do.

When you buy a Blu-Ray, Sony doesn't send you the film masters. When you hire someone to dig a ditch for you, they don't sign the backhoe over to you when they're done. When you buy some fast food, the Colonel doesn't give you an itemized list of his 11 herbs and spices*.

Actually your first analogy was the best and you should probably remove the others because they don't stand up as well, if at all.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yes, they do.

When you hire a creative type to create a work-for-hire, you absolutely hold the copyright to what that person produced. When I produce an engineering drawing for my employer, the employer owns it, not me.

Wedding photographers usually don't work to that kind of arrangement, but there's nothing preventing one from doing so.

oldpainless posted:

You point and click, it aint loving chinese algebra

More like oldframeless.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 01:43 on Aug 2, 2017

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Phanatic posted:

When you hire a creative type to create a work-for-hire, you absolutely hold the copyright to what that person produced. When I produce an engineering drawing for my employer, the employer owns it, not me.

Wedding photographers usually don't work to that kind of arrangement, but there's nothing preventing one from doing so.

More like oldframeless.

Not for an independent contractor, which is what a wedding photographer is.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Phanatic posted:

Be careful with that. We get told all the time by our legal teams that we should scrub our watermarks and PE stamps from anything we give the client for keeps, or slap a big bold disclaimer over it. There are cases where clients have gone and used the same blueprint in a different site without adjusting for local conditions, disaster struck, and then the original engineer who gave them the plans got hosed. That's some Schadenfreude for you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Burning_Monk posted:

Not for an independent contractor, which is what a wedding photographer is.

Independent contracting vs. direct employment really doesn't have anything to do with it. It's about the terms of the contract. Freelance photographers can and do sign work-for-hire contracts.

Cichlidae posted:

Be careful with that. We get told all the time by our legal teams that we should scrub our watermarks and PE stamps from anything we give the client for keeps, or slap a big bold disclaimer over it. There are cases where clients have gone and used the same blueprint in a different site without adjusting for local conditions, disaster struck, and then the original engineer who gave them the plans got hosed. That's some Schadenfreude for you.

Hell, our PLM software automatically slaps a +30 days expiration date on right under the title block of any print you generate.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 02:01 on Aug 2, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Phanatic posted:

Yes there is; common sense.

dialhforhero posted:

Actually your first analogy was the best and you should probably remove the others because they don't stand up as well, if at all.

You don't stand up as well, you no well stander.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yes there is; common sense.

There are plenty of wedding photographers who offer the rights to the photos. All else being equal, it'll cost more. Many won't do it, some will, if it's something people are interested in they can ask around.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

gently caress no man the raws belong to him, that's kind of the thing. Depending on your pay scheme, he might charge based on the final amount of photos selected and actual raw files sent. Some guys do day-rate but not everyone, he's gotta gatekeeper that poo poo in order to make money or else people could say WELP I'VE GOT THE RAWS GO gently caress YOURSELF.

It's like thinking you get the work files from an artist or animator or something just because they made some drawings for you. gently caress no, not unless you pay extra.

EDIT: Also - not every photographer wants you, your mom and all your family trying to "make their images better" with Photoshop, which is another reason to hold back raws. Sure, you think it's yours to do what you like with, but for them it's an advertisement of their work, and they've gotta protect it appropriately.

This guy gets it.

I spent seven years working in a pro photo lab right around the time digital photography was getting ready to explode and pros were still (mostly) shooting film. Modern digital cameras and the omnipresence of Photoshop have made it so any idiot with enough money thinks they can just buy the most expensive equipment and print up a bunch of business cards and call themselves a photographer, but GOOD photography is loving HARD, and I've known enough pros to know that. Wedding photography is even harder than portraiture or commercial photography, because you've gotta deal with bridezillas and overbearing mothers and people wanting to haggle over costs, whatever, and that's BEFORE you get to the wedding day.

If by some chance you're lucky enough to find that one someone who you'll absolutely, posi-loving-tively spend the rest of your life with, then your wedding day is the single most important day in your life. That's a lot of loving pressure for a photographer to deal with, because there are NO DO-OVERS. You get ONE loving CHANCE to do this thing right, but there's the groom's great-aunt trying to get in your way every time you try to take a picture of the wedding party because she bought a fancy point-and-shoot digital camera and fancies herself a "shutterbug," and you've got ONE loving CHANCE to get the "I do's" and the "you may now kiss the bride" and the reception with the best man's speech and tossing the bouquet and whatever else, and GOD HELP YOU if you miss that ONE SHOT of the bride with her maid of honor that suddenly will be the only thing she cares about later if it's not in the proofs. Your exposures, your focus, EVERYTHING has to be PERFECT for this. You'll probably spend 6-8 hours with the couple on their wedding day, and maybe even the rehearsal dinner if they want that too.

And then you go home with your memory cards (which is a hell of a lot easier than back in the days of shooting film, where you had 50 or 60 rolls of film and it took a day or two to get the negatives and proofs back) and take god knows how many hours going through all of these photos you took of the biggest day of someone's life, culling the images and tweaking them in Lightbox or Photoshop or whatever your preferred method is, taking countless hours to put together the record the most important day in the life of this couple that you've already spent a shitload of time with, and they want to fight you on a price you agreed to up front and drag your name through the mud on social media.

Photography is an ART. Photographers work their asses off for clients, most of whom are grateful, but some of whom are screaming bloody lunatics, and the photographer has to deal with them all in customer-service mode. This is what they DO for a LIVING, but for some reason people think that just because they're the subjects of the photos, that means they must automatically own the images. No. It doesn't work that way. That's why any photographer worth their salt has all sorts of contracts and release forms stating as much. In the end, they own the copyright because they're the ones that take the photos, and that's as it should be, because they're the ones doing all the work. It's not holding the product hostage, it's PROTECTING THEIR BRAND.

If you really don't give a poo poo about the quality of the photos you'll get on your special day and you want to retain ownership of the original RAW files, then by all means, ask your great-aunt Edna to bring her new point-and-shoot with the zoom lens. Just don't be surprised if there's a finger in front of the lens in that picture of you and your maid of honor that you just HAD to have.

TL;DR: Don't be a wedding photographer.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
hey check it out

if taking good photos is so easy like do it yourself or have your idiot cousin do it on his go pro, don't hire a professional photographer/agree to their terms, it''s not rocket science

I'm so glad no one ever tells me that about my writing freelance work! I'd tell them to gently caress off and edit/write their own drat work without hesitation for wasting time that could be used on a non garbage human

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
E: Wrong thread!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
A lot of motherfuckers here think their i-camera makes them a photographer

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://i.imgur.com/T6Zy2H0.gifv

Gonna skip the rush to get off this here ferry

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
:laffo:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I had my friend shoot my wedding pictures and they uploaded the raws to Dropbox so we could rummage around at our leisure.

The pictures looked good enough for Facebook, so Gramma could like them, and we have the 2 dozen shots we wanted captured.

What I'm getting at is that everyone would probably be a lot happier if they took themselves a little less seriously, photographers, newlyweds, and family alike.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

canyoneer posted:

https://i.imgur.com/T6Zy2H0.gifv

Gonna skip the rush to get off this here ferry

This is way funnier than it should be.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Um-b4ppNoY
David Letterman asking rude questions about jail/rehab (skip to 1:00 for the good stuff)

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

He was just an ordinary kid
Until that fateful day when he accidentally swung over the bar
And learned he had incredible powers beyond those of any superhero
He had become -
Severe head trauma boy!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Um-b4ppNoY
David Letterman asking rude questions about jail/rehab (skip to 1:00 for the good stuff)

"Now I'm the one having the blackouts!"

:discourse:

I never appreciated Letterman till people started archiving his work and you could see how he treated the Hollywood fuckups.

Some of them owned it and it went great but so many of them have no idea how to bounce back.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tony Snark posted:

He was just an ordinary kid
Until that fateful day when he accidentally swung over the bar
And learned he had incredible powers beyond those of any superhero
He had become -
Severe head trauma boy!

blyat! another source, still no idea of the aftermath on this one

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=201_1501611075

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I've always figured you're paying for photographer's capital investments, time, and experience. So loving pay them or do it yourself if it's so easy

Pretty easy math IMO

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

there's the groom's great-aunt trying to get in your way every time you try to take a picture of the wedding party because she bought a fancy point-and-shoot digital camera and fancies herself a "shutterbug," and you've got ONE loving CHANCE to get the "I do's" and the "you may now kiss the bride"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My professional wedding photographers were loving amazing and I had no problems with them whatsoever, but otoh I actually paid them what we agreed to

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lol if you get married. It's nothing but bitches and drugs till the day I die

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Wasabi the J posted:

I had my friend shoot my wedding pictures and they uploaded the raws to Dropbox so we could rummage around at our leisure.

The pictures looked good enough for Facebook, so Gramma could like them, and we have the 2 dozen shots we wanted captured.

What I'm getting at is that everyone would probably be a lot happier if they took themselves a little less seriously, photographers, newlyweds, and family alike.

cool story bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

TontoCorazon posted:

Lol if you get married. It's nothing but bitches and drugs till the day I die

How do you feel about the opiod addiction getting getting so much attention, revealing that suburban married life is pretty much bitches and drugs, too?