Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

If we're going to make wishes I'd personally wish he'd get caught in a huge scandal that loses him all credibility with his fanbase

I mean if we've learned anything from the past couple of years it's that this is literally not possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Like how does anyone with two brain cells to rub together listen to Alex Jones and think what he says is true? You can see him as a loving carnival huckster a mile away.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I mean if we've learned anything from the past couple of years it's that this is literally not possible.

It's a wish, it's not supposed to be based on realistic possibilities.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

tsob posted:

It's a wish, it's not supposed to be based on realistic possibilities.

See you say that, but there's this coal miner in West Virginia who found a Monkeys Paw a little over a year ago...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Josh Lyman posted:

It doesn't show up on streaming until Monday like 9am or something

Outside of one or two episodes in the past... no. It usually shows up at 11 or a few minutes after. This time it didn't show up until it finished airing live, and I watched it then. Just curious about why it doesn't always show up on time, compared to a show like Game of Thrones, which has always been up at 9:01.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I watch hbo by way of amazon video and LWT hasnt been uploaded before midnight cst ever

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

mcbexx posted:

Maybe the LWT team wants to get sued by Jones and slaughter him in the court like that coal mining guy.

Speaking of which... has anything happened with that lawsuit? I've not heard anything.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yureina posted:

Speaking of which... has anything happened with that lawsuit? I've not heard anything.

You're not going to.

Legal crap takes forever and is boring for everyone

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't he explicitly state that this is all just an act during his divorce or child custody hearings?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A bargain!

Now they're only $900,000!
drat, it just redirects me to the general HBO shop with all the GoT crap so I can't take advantage of this great opportunity :(

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Burkion posted:

You're not going to.

True. I guess we will hear about it on this show once it is all over.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Why didn't he point out that "Doctor" isn't really a doctor? Chiropractic is bullshit and its practitioners don't go to medical school, they get some anatomy training but that's it. They are not medical doctors.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Vodos posted:

Why didn't he point out that "Doctor" isn't really a doctor? Chiropractic is bullshit and its practitioners don't go to medical school, they get some anatomy training but that's it. They are not medical doctors.

"Physician" is the term you're looking for. "Doctor" applies to anyone with a doctorate, whether real (earned,) bogus, or honorary. For examples, Stephen Colbert has an honorary doctorate (of Fine Arts,) Ken Jeong an M.D., and Bill Cosby (!) has one of Education. All three of those people are Doctors but only one is a physician (albeit not practicing.)

Chiropractors are indeed quacks though, and are considered so by every actual physician.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Actually, general convention is that honorary doctorate holders aren't entitled to call themselves Doctor. It's not like titles of address are regulated, though, so some people just call themselves Doctor anyway.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 1, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm officially a Captain as well as "the Third", according to my Cabela's catalogs!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Should have been Scott Aukerman as a taint wipe expert

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mobby_6kl posted:

Didn't he explicitly state that this is all just an act during his divorce or child custody hearings?

His lawyers tried to go that route, but then he went ballistic about it and said it as all100% him and his lawyers were lying, during court.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Him and Trump are like peas in a really ugly pod. He lost custody entirely I take it?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

Him and Trump are like peas in a really ugly pod. He lost custody entirely I take it?

He did.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tsob posted:

Can you imagine being on the receiving end of alex jones sex? What kind of bonkers woman would sleep with that thing?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

Can you imagine being on the receiving end of alex jones sex? What kind of bonkers woman would sleep with that thing?

See, you say that, but then... who knows? It could be amazingly intense, driving any woman he does sex to to have one screeching orgasm after another. And once he's got her mind all mushed up with dick-drunk, he starts telling her about lizard people who rule the world and set up false flag mass shootings. And her temporarily malleable mind accepts it as gospel.

I know it sounds crazy, but he might be super, super good at doing sex to women. Maybe that's how his marriage lasted as long as it did.

And I'm only suggesting this because a guy who is as bad at life as this guy is has to be good at something. I know that's not scientifically correct, but I have to believe that when the almighty beats us with the ugly and crazy sticks, that he balances it out somehow.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
He's obviously great at scamming a lot of money out of people so there's that.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

His lawyers tried to go that route, but then he went ballistic about it and said it as all100% him and his lawyers were lying, during court.
Ahh, even better than I remembered, awesome!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Though I'm kind of surprised Jon didn't mention this https://youtu.be/uWd6XgBVIcg given the amount of press it's gotten lately.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

Well, he used to look like this

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
No loving way

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Told you so. Sure, some people will say "Guys who look like that are usually poo poo in the sack." But everyone who says that either wants to look like that, or they want to gently caress someone who looks like that.

Alex Jones: PUSSY SMASHER.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
More like - Alex Jones: Extra in Karate Kid - Random Kobra-Kai Dojo Douche.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

This is not a pic of bill hicks

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

tarlibone posted:

And once he's got her mind all mushed up with dick-drunk, he starts telling her about lizard people who rule the world and set up false flag mass shootings. And her temporarily malleable mind accepts it as gospel.

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

tarlibone posted:

I have to believe that when the almighty beats us with the ugly and crazy sticks, that he balances it out somehow.

Ah, there it is.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Burkion posted:

You're not going to.

Not necessarily.
https://www.scribd.com/document/355284770/Nutterbutter
Amicus Curae from ACLU-WV

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

A couple summer interns had a real fun time writing that amicus brief.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

This is amazing :swoon:

I love the footnote on p.4: "Everyone is allowed to have dreams." They should've suffixed a ", Bob." to it.

I really doubt this is the version they actually filed, though. It seems to have too much fun to be anything properly 'legal'.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 2, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Actual Professional Lawyer, Leonard French, did a Youtube livestream yesterday talking about it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Oh God, check out page 7.

"And with regard to the Dr. Evil remark, it should be remembered that truth is an absolute defense to a claim of defamation."

After the citation, photos of Dr. Evil and Bob Murray are provided, both in similar poses. Kind-of snarky for a legal document put together by professional lawyers, but I love it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

This is amazing :swoon:

I love the footnote on p.4: "Everyone is allowed to have dreams." They should've suffixed a ", Bob." to it.

I really doubt this is the version they actually filed, though. It seems to have too much fun to be anything properly 'legal'.

It's not from Oliver's lawyers, so the writers had more leeway in tone because they're just an interested party weighing in with a legal opinion rather than actually involved with the case.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The aclu filing an amicus brief on a high profile case involving a political slapp suit registers somewhere between "well no poo poo" and a not particularly dank fart in terms of influence so I bet it was.

You'd be surprised the weird poo poo pure applesauce lawyers work into legal writing, but most of it is just terrible yeah.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

There's a weird misconception that law is deathly serious. On the civil side, often, a little levity goes a long way in spicing up proceedings.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Lawyers don't help themselves in fairness, since most things are couched in really dull, dry language. Apparently deliberately, to help obfuscate what they're doing and make it easier to keep it somewhat of a skilled professional language a lot of people can't understand; though I admit that's purely on anecdotal evidence and there may be a more simple and blasé reason for it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

Lawyers don't help themselves in fairness, since most things are couched in really dull, dry language. Apparently deliberately, to help obfuscate what they're doing and make it easier to keep it somewhat of a skilled professional language a lot of people can't understand; though I admit that's purely on anecdotal evidence and there may be a more simple and blasé reason for it.

Well it's partly that but also clarity of meaning is super important in legal documents, and flowery language, while fun, is not generally as precise as boring, strictly defined legal terminology.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

If someone has a history of frivolous lawsuits can they be fined or something eventually? IDK poo poo about the law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MrWilderheap posted:

If someone has a history of frivolous lawsuits can they be fined or something eventually? IDK poo poo about the law

It depends. If they are levied by the same person against a single person/entity and they are truly frivolous, a case can be made for harassment and a restraining order issued. If its like that crazy guy who sues literally everyone over everything, not much can be done except watch them get tossed at the first possible moment.

• Locked thread