Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

MGs are less "Melt" and more "Erode." They're not a fast process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

aniviron posted:

MGs are less "Melt" and more "Erode." They're not a fast process.

To clarify, machine guns would be something I can fire while waiting to cool off. The lasers do the melting.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

This is amazing.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Delacroix posted:

To clarify, machine guns would be something I can fire while waiting to cool off. The lasers do the melting.

It's just way more important to spend your cooling-off time not losing your center torso. Staring in one direction only works with dakka...

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Sigh, I knew I wasn't crazy about the MKII being p2w... it's sickens me every time I run across one more than seeing gold mechs...

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

This is amazing.

A Youtube Commenter posted:

I am confused what are you guys doing

We didn't know, youtube guy. We didn't know. That loving Death Knell remains the dumbest thing ever.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Slayerjerman posted:

Sigh, I knew I wasn't crazy about the MKII being p2w... it's sickens me every time I run across one more than seeing gold mechs...

The p2w status of the MkII is vastly exaggerated in my experience. It's certainly a good mech but it's not leaps and bounds better than the other good mechs available.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Mr Wikstroem posted:

The p2w status of the MkII is vastly exaggerated in my experience. It's certainly a good mech but it's not leaps and bounds better than the other good mechs available.

The guy thinks PGI has secret code for the mechs that cost money that makes them take less damage.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I seem to recall there being a bug for a few mechs that kept arm hitboxes around after they were destroyed, transferring their damage to torso at half rate. Supposing it's purposeful would be less plausible if a leading dev hadn't implied he was ok with the perception of his game being 'pay2win' :tinfoil:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

vorebane posted:

I seem to recall there being a bug for a few mechs that kept arm hitboxes around after they were destroyed, transferring their damage to torso at half rate. Supposing it's purposeful would be less plausible if a leading dev hadn't implied he was ok with the perception of his game being 'pay2win' :tinfoil:

Wasn't that only for the Centurion? It was the thing that made it into an absolute tank and actually fun to play.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

Wasn't that only for the Centurion? It was the thing that made it into an absolute tank and actually fun to play.

I think that was also the Marauder too. I seem to remember it being able to tank an ungodly amount of damage before those retarded resizings.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skoll posted:

I think that was also the Marauder too. I seem to remember it being able to tank an ungodly amount of damage before those retarded resizings.

Geometry is king.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Delacroix posted:

To my mind the idea is that they'd be a button I can hold down after melting chest armour in CQC, to keep damage up in the intervening cooling period. I had a match where I suicided from a meltdown wishing I had a heat less weapon on hand. I broke 900 damage but I think it emphasises my tendency of ending up in close quarters during the course of matches.

Your cool down period should be spent huddled behind cover. As a Laser Boat, your job is vomiting high damage alphas at mid-range while using cover to mitigate or avoid any return fire. If you're finding yourself in CQC before the match has decisively swung toward one team, then you likely made a positional error. The solution to this isn't Machine Guns, it's positioning better so you don't get caught out.

Mr Wikstroem posted:

I mean, he's wrong about the MCII having some kind of magical damage reduction or hit-reg scrambler, but he's not wrong about why he feels that way. If you sat down and made an itemized list of everything you could want on an assault mech and then compared that list to the MCII, it would tick off every single box.

Sure, it's not fabulously overpowered in any particular niche, but it has zero weakness to exploit which is... fairly unique among the assault class and makes it an unrivaled monster in QM games.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 2, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Geometry is king.

Nah, Mounts are king, but Geometry is his queen.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Nah, Mounts are king, but Geometry is his queen.

Your mounts end up where the geometry dictates :toot:

But yeah I get what you mean. One without the other is just a hollow shell.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Delacroix posted:

In addition to what Skippy said, machine guns aren't made to be alternated with other weapons - they're heatless and have lots of ammo per ton, so you should be firing them constantly whenever you're looking at an enemy in range. Bind them to a thumb button and hold it down, or even macro them into a toggle like TAG.

Of course when you fight in MG range, "keep staring at your enemy" isn't a great strategy compared to alpha-and-twist. That's the fundamental problem of MGs, and it's why they can only really be mixed with other low-cooldown weapons like the smaller sizes of autocannons, pulses, and SRMs - weapons where you can't do much twisting to begin with and so aren't losing much.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
MGs are also good panic weapons, in that they instill completely unreasonable panic in a lot of people when combined with other harder hitting weapons.

The psychological effect of hammering away constantly with your 2000 rounds is not to be underestimated. Especially useful in medium mech duels because the other person becomes a lot more likely to overheat and shut down at a bad time in a desperate attempt to get you to stop.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I'm out the loop. Are MGs still legit on lights to melt down unarmoured hulls?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Probably now more than ever. The new LMGs added in the last patch are easily the best iteration of the weapon system thanks to the 250m optimal range and reduced spread. They deal less damage, but you don't need to stand on top of your target for them to be effective.

They're a good option for fast lights and mediums with a lot of ballistic hardpoints like the Viper or Phonix Hawk.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Skippy McPants posted:

Probably now more than ever. The new LMGs added in the last patch are easily the best iteration of the weapon system thanks to the 250m optimal range and reduced spread. They deal less damage, but you don't need to stand on top of your target for them to be effective.

They're a good option for fast lights and mediums with a lot of ballistic hardpoints like the Viper or Phonix Hawk.

SOUNDS LIKE FUN.
CAN'T WAIT TO SHOOT SOME ROBOTS

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

I forgot thermals looked good once. why did :pgi: get stoopid and take that away again?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Rysithusiku posted:

I forgot thermals looked good once. why did :pgi: get stoopid and take that away again?

You could see mechs across the map with the old Predator vision.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

oh that's right. it was useful and :pgi: couldn't figure out variable few distances. still can't really.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

We didn't know, youtube guy. We didn't know. That loving Death Knell remains the dumbest thing ever.

I remember running around murdering all metal babies before that thing came out, and when it, the Yellow Wang, Illest Marmoset, and those terrible Dragons were the only premium robots.

I don't miss old thermals being mandatory all the time, and after playing a bunch of PUBG, spotting robots in a game which mostly draws giant boxes on targets and also largely has giant neon colored robots. Of course, I also keep my graphics on suboptimal pretty settings in this game, because I still enjoy how it works.

Has the dust cleared on post tech update refits? I've got a Top Dog and a whole mess of other assorted robots to refit, though I suppose I only really need a few to enjoy myself and get back in a groove.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rysithusiku posted:

oh that's right. it was useful and :pgi: couldn't figure out variable few distances. still can't really.

It wasn't just useful, you could use SweetFX or something similar to enhance it further and give yourself a huge advantage. They did kind of work out variable view distances because that's why the current thermal mode is basically pointless.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

It wasn't just useful, you could use SweetFX or something similar to enhance it further and give yourself a huge advantage. They did kind of work out variable view distances because that's why the current thermal mode is basically pointless.

Daytime Forest Colony and Caustic Valley sometimes have horrible pea soup fog weather, and when that happens thermal is the only vision mode that doesn't make me strain my eyes to the point of getting an actual headache.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's also great on maps that have a generally more limited sight line anyways (Mining Collective for example) as knowing your opponents heat level is really loving useful. A glowing white hot battlemaster is a perfect candidate to bum rush in a way that a cool one just isn't.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What's the skill tree for dummies guide?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Azuth0667 posted:

I had no idea your "no ranting about Ish" thing would turn into a full on self imposed exile.

I believe part of the skill tree meta is structure if sub 80 tons, armour if above. I plan on making out structure and armour in my Death Strike to take full advantage of the secret p2w code they put in it.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

Here's one from Metamechs that I use.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Hexenritter posted:

I had no idea your "no ranting about Ish" thing would turn into a full on self imposed exile.

I believe part of the skill tree meta is structure if sub 80 tons, armour if above. I plan on making out structure and armour in my Death Strike to take full advantage of the secret p2w code they put in it.

Other way around. Armor if lighter, structure if heavier.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
E: ^^ Oh alright.

Hexenritter posted:

I lost that one, GM decided to take the side of the pro-ish faction. I'll be back to that thread after I finish catching up.

Guns and structure then for my mediums and guns and armor for my awesomes.

That looks idiot proof, its perfect.

E: I take it the other trees are completely useless?

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 2, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Rysithusiku posted:

Other way around. Armor if lighter, structure if heavier.

Oops

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Azuth0667 posted:

E: ^^ Oh alright.

I lost that one, GM decided to take the side of the pro-ish faction. I'll be back to that thread after I finish catching up.

Guns and structure then for my mediums and guns and armor for my awesomes.

That looks idiot proof, its perfect.

E: I take it the other trees are completely useless?

Just use the tree that works for the playe style you're going for. Lights do well packing on some extra arty strikes for example. Just about everyone does good getting radar derp. Armor and structure can be worthwhile if you are running a tanky build, have the points to spare, or have existing quirks that get boosted as well. Operations is good if you have a ton of heat sinks, otherwise firepower is better for reducing heat. Firepower is over all really good for helping with recycle time, range, etc. Jump jets seems kinda useless. Mobility is worthwhile if the mech has enough native acceleration to help out - a dire wolf with full mobility still isa loving semi-mobile brick. Some think that it's worth dumping the points in to make mechs with bad accel/decel a little better, some think it's not worth the minor bump.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

NihilCredo's shortlist is something i've been using.

NihilCredo posted:

Quick and dirty guide to the skill tree, will be good enough for 90% of all mechs:

- Jump Jets: Never buy
- Consumables: Do you have infinite CBills? If yes, max the heck out of everything and go p2w your way to glory, otherwise just take the first node.
- Agility: Drop into Testing Grounds with your mech and move around a bit. Is the torso sluggish? Buy the left-hand side of the tree. Is the acceleration/deceleration slow? Buy the right-hand side.
- Sensors: Get both ECM nodes if applicable. Then, get both seismic sensors if your weapons have 500m range or less. Then, if you don't have ECM, get 100% radar deprivation, unless you go 100kph+, in which case get 60% (left-hand side). Add Target Decay for LRM and streak boats.
- Survival: If you're light or medium AND have long-range weapons (500m+), skip it. If you're a heavy brawler or any assault, buy both sides. Otherwise, buy left side only. If you have AMS, do get the relevant nodes.
- Operations: If you have more than 10 heatsinks, unlock up to the two top branches. If you have 20+ heatsinks, unlock the rest.
- Firepower: Beeline for the coloured hexes that are relevant to your build (except UAC jam chance and Gauss charge, which suck). If you still have spare nodes after all of that, buy heat gen nodes.

I did want to ask why the 12/20 guideline on heatsinks? is that just math/return on investment for impact?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cool Run is +2% dissipation per node, and it scales with your heatsinks, so more DHS means more heat dissipation means more value from Cool Run. I disagree with his advice on the tree, though. In my opinion, the Ops tree has three options depending on your needs.

0 Points: only for mechs that never run close to their heat-cap.
13 Points: standard on most mechs.
17 Points: if you're running something blazing hot. It's a steep price because the unlock ratio on that last Cool Run is awful, requiring three junk nodes (Heat Containment is poo poo), but sometimes you need every scrap of heat management you can get.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just lol if you aren't maxing out armor and structure on every mech.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

DancingShade posted:

Just lol if you aren't maxing out armor and structure on every mech.

Is it really worth to max out armor on mechs that don't have pre-existing armor quirks? Don't you get like only 6 extra armor on a 90 ton mech?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Is it really worth to max out armor on mechs that don't have pre-existing armor quirks? Don't you get like only 6 extra armor on a 90 ton mech?

It's a little more than that - a bare minimum investment (13 nodes) will give you around +7 CT armor, completing the left side is +9, a full tree will give you +11 (and +25% structure). You will survive a couple of lasers more, which is far from inconsequential - and that's if they perfectly core your CT; if some other component goes first, that's extra armor bonuses you benefit from.

Like I said, my general guideline is that I only skip armor entirely if the plan is to move around and hide and not get hit at all - which is basically restricted to reasonably mobile hill-humpers like Blackjacks or Ravens, or medium PPC / LRM supports. Not coincidentally, those are the same mechs where I intend to keep using XLs.

As to 'is it really worth it', that question applies to pretty much every skill tree choice: what else would you spend those nodes on otherwise? E.g. a mixed ballistics/missiles loadout could see major benefits from the entire Firepower tree, while a PPC boat only really needs the heat gen nodes and the rest is extremely situational. Some pilots have no problem burning through consumables, so they only have like 75-80 nodes to play with, meaning they need to stick with the best return on investments.

If you want to really sperg out over the optimal tree distribution, you should tackle it as a type of knapsack problem. Start with the cheapest picks that give the best returns (something like this, assuming you value Torso Speed highly, which is usually the case), then gradually add more 'expensive' nodes until you run out of points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The relevent graph re: survivability.

Having the effective HP of a mech 15-20 tons heavier seems pretty good to me!

• Locked thread