Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Grem posted:

How do you feel about the opiod addiction getting getting so much attention, revealing that suburban married life is pretty much bitches and drugs, too?

Oh man I gotta get married

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Phanatic posted:

When you hire a creative type to create a work-for-hire, you absolutely hold the copyright to what that person produced. When I produce an engineering drawing for my employer, the employer owns it, not me.

Wedding photographers usually don't work to that kind of arrangement, but there's nothing preventing one from doing so.
There is usually some kind of contractual element that ensures the photographer retains copyright, while they don't have to work this way it does also make sure they can do stuff like advertise with previous work and make sure if they are still basing part of their profits off of print sales that they hold some recourse if a customer attempts to get prints made cheaper somewhere else.

It doesn't help that there are still a fair number of people who are too lazy to send off for prints from whatever online place is currently popular and insist that the photographer handle all of that poo poo. Which means you have to keep track of everything--get the details on what exactly they want, make sure nothing arrives damaged (and get it replaced if so), make sure you keep track of if they've paid in full so they can't skip out on finishing if you deliver digital files too, and keep track of sales tax and all related business reg/licensing bullshit. The time on that stuff adds up.

Wasabi the J posted:

What I'm getting at is that everyone would probably be a lot happier if they took themselves a little less seriously, photographers, newlyweds, and family alike.
It would be a lot easier if I didn't have to hunt an absurd amount for any significant leads, have most of those dead end because people wanted me to charge "some shady guy on craigslist" level prices while I have about a decade of experience and quite a bit of money tied into equipment and studio costs, and still end up bleeding money on business expenses every month because even after all that time spent networking, calling, etc all I was able to get was a couple of small jobs.

So I dropped that poo poo and got a 9-5 and can take things less seriously now I guess

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ElGroucho posted:

A lot of motherfuckers here think their i-camera makes them a photographer

I poo poo you not I've been to several weddings where I saw some highschooler with a Canon T3i and a single kit lens as "the photographer."
I always keep my camera with me and have no qualms about running and grabbing it and just snapping away during the ceremony/reception.

2 best Schadenfreude that resulted from this were:

1) I heard the "fauxtog" was being paid almost $2500 for the job. I gave my friend my pics for free as well as a very nicely bound album with the understanding that my name would be in no way attached to the work that was done. Apparently there was no contract so when it came time for her to get paid for her terrible work they told her to go gently caress herself. The hilarious part was that she had already 'invested' money she didn't have in the camera setup and travel and was banking on that money to pay for it all and her trip to Greece.

2) another expensive faux-tographer shot my wife's cousin's wedding. During the reception she came up to me to talk shop and asked, "Hey did you get any pics of the bridegroom kiss, father walking the bride down the aisle, cutting the cake, etc? It all happened so fast I didn't know it was coming." Within earshot of the bride. I just sat back and watched poo poo go nuclear.

Yeah but this hasn't really affected the price muchat all so... :shrug:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

I had my friend shoot my wedding pictures and they uploaded the raws to Dropbox so we could rummage around at our leisure.

The pictures looked good enough for Facebook, so Gramma could like them, and we have the 2 dozen shots we wanted captured.

What I'm getting at is that everyone would probably be a lot happier if they took themselves a little less seriously, photographers, newlyweds, and family alike.

poo poo this group showed up to a fairly high-end restaurant last night, I watched them pose in front of said restaurant while their camera-person blocked off the entire sidewalk to film them. Looked like a small wedding party bride groom and a few hangers-on

It was awkward to watch, and then they went inside the restaurant with the camera person in tow, I can just imagine trying to maneuver this full sized camera inside a packed restaurant with other people trying to eat, while Jim and Jill gently caress-head try to record every angle of their dinner out

Something like this

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Good Lord that looks exhausting. But I have terrible arm strength.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Next up in: Holy poo poo, I love pictures...

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

The photographer at my wedding used informal when talking to my soon to be aunts (this is Korea so that is unacceptable) and then made our master of ceremonies cry

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kurieg posted:

Speaking of, Rotten Tomatoes finally got enough reviews in to add a consensus to the Emoji Movie.

lol out of the all the no-name blogs and critics they allow for the ratings they could only find 3 that were even somewhat positive

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

poly and open-minded posted:

The photographer at my wedding used informal when talking to my soon to be aunts (this is Korea so that is unacceptable) and then made our master of ceremonies cry

Sounds like a cool dude.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

uhh, not really
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/608483/wait-bitcoin-just-did-what/

It's more like a small splinter breaking off.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Um-b4ppNoY
David Letterman asking rude questions about jail/rehab (skip to 1:00 for the good stuff)

A while back I read Wallace's short story where he depicts Letterman as you see him here: irreverent, questions out of the left field, incredibly ad rem... Not being from the US, I had never seen a talk show host before the likes of Fallon and Colbert, so I had no idea who Letterman was and figured it was literary hyperbole or something. I looked up YouTube videos of him and that guy was amazing. He takes people down a peg or two that current talk show hosts still kiss up to, I love it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've helped my girlfriend (a "professional" photographer in the sense that she's not big time enough yet to make it her full job) at weddings as a second shooter. I go around and get secondary angles of important things, as well as incidental shots like family arriving, dancing, whatever is going on that isn't the bride and groom. She sets the second camera up to be as idiot proof as can be and reminds me all the settings for focus and exposure. I have to move around while worrying about angles, lighting, whether I'm being too damned loud, and not run into a table behind me.

That poo poo is god damned exhausting and I don't even have to worry about editing things for the next 2 months.

At both weddings I've done this, at least one picture each that were her and the bride's favorites were ones that I took :smuggo:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

canyoneer posted:

https://i.imgur.com/T6Zy2H0.gifv

Gonna skip the rush to get off this here ferry

So the captain noticed this, attempted to stop the ferry and probably crushed the car doing so, right???

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So the captain noticed this, attempted to stop the ferry and probably crushed the car doing so, right???

Ferries don't stop on a dime, if somebody decides to drive off that close before docking then there's nothing the staff could have done

e: come to think of it, I used to know someone who was ran over by a ferry once. He was below deck in his sailboat and they drove right into him.

Ziv Zulander has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Aug 2, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I hear the captain tried to tokyo drift the ferry, but couldn't pull it off because neither was the boat fast enough nor the captain furious enough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Okay I hate TMZ, its like, the worst, but this is the heroin of schadenfreude right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21BEup8Bax4

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
ouch. dancing with the stars, lol I almost felt sorry for him there..

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ziv Zulander posted:

Ferries don't stop on a dime, if somebody decides to drive off that close before docking then there's nothing the staff could have done

Weirdly enough the ferry did stop on a dime and immediately reversed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vivc-7Q2M0Y

The driver was unhurt but he still hosed up everyone's day

quote:

The driver was reportedly unhurt and managed to leave his car on his own.

Bystanders helped him to get back onto land by throwing him a safety ring with a rope and pulling him to shore.

The move also meant lengthy delays as the car needed to be moved before the ferry could continue its docking operation. The process reportedly took several hours.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/horrifying-moment-driver-plunges-sea-8872260

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The language being spoken in that video explains a lot. Thank you.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

(It does sound fake, I know).

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I tried to talk my wedding photographer into a clause in the contract that, when he dies, or retires, I get the option to buy the copyrights to my wedding's photos from him or his estate, but he shot me down. I don't mind buying pictures from him, but if my house burns down in 20 years, if his kids don't want anything to do with photography, I still want to be able to replace my photos

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

The General posted:

Good Lord that looks exhausting. But I have terrible arm strength.

That rig is a really poor example of a hand-held rig plus the guy operating it is doing it wrong. I'm a camera assistant and one of my big joys is building nice handheld rigs for shoots. That thing is loving awful; cameras center of gravity sitting three feet in front of the operators face, the EVF can't be easily used. handles are super wide causing him to splay his elbows. Shoulder pad is super narrow and is gonna cut into him super quick and the entire drat thing looks like it's made of walking sticks.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > Schadenfreude thread: just photography

We hired my wife's aunt to do our wedding photography. She offered to do the work for a steep discount, and we were broke, so we took her up on the offer. Her work looked good from what we saw in her portfolio, but it turned out that her portfolio wasn't representative of 90% of her work and the rest of it (we found out later) was.... not bad, but amateurish at best. We also told her, "minimal posed/formal photos. As close to none as possible." We didn't want to be pulled away from our wedding for as long as it takes to do all of that bullshit, and we both hate posed photography. Neither of us like posing for them, and neither of us like how they look, for anyone, when all is said and done. The aunt said she could do candid photos... and then proceeded to pull us and our wedding party away from our reception to do posed photos for 45 loving minutes. At one point, she tried to have us do that dumb posed photo of the groom taking the garter off the bride's leg, but my wife wasn't wearing one so the photographer was basically just asking me to hike up my wife's dress and feel up her leg, on camera, for no reason. When I pointed that out, she said, "just pose like you're doing that," but I just walked. I thought my wife was going to drown her in the river next to where we were married.

Luckily, we were saved by my wife's uncle on another side, and my brother-in-law. Both are professionals and showed up with their gear to do the same thing: they offered to get some photos and give them to us for free, as part of their gifts to us. Neither knew the other was going to do that, but they didn't step on each other's toes. I'm certain the aunt was pissed about it, but she can pound sand. They were unobtrusive, did great work, and basically donated thousand of dollars worth of professional photography to us as gifts.

90% of the photos we ended up keeping were from them.

The moral of the story:
1) Don't be broke?
2) Don't hire Facebook Aunt to do your wedding photos (the actual person, not the Goon)

:doh:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Ziv Zulander posted:

e: come to think of it, I used to know someone who was ran over by a ferry once. He was below deck in his sailboat and they drove right into him.

I imagine that's the sort of thing that does only happen to someone once.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Um-b4ppNoY
David Letterman asking rude questions about jail/rehab (skip to 1:00 for the good stuff)

Simon Amstell was the king of torturing flash in the pan celebrities, or people who just really shouldn't be famous. I'll never forget him innocently asking Jermaine Jackson if it was awkward raising his brothers kids after marrying his former sister-in-law. Then after letting it stew asking Jermaine "so has Michael ever done anything weird?". For anyone who's not familiar he was the host of a music panel show in the UK called Never Mind The Buzzcocks. The cast was made up of host and two teams of three with permanent team captains. Each week they'd have four guests (two per team) and play a variety of pop music quiz games. NMTB had a lot of one hit wonders or unknown indie artists on but also people like Adele, Amy Winehouse, and Lily Allen too. There were plenty of non-musical celebrities too like Jeremy Clarkson and Martin Freeman.

This video is a series of clips from an episode where a guest called Preston walked off. Preston was a singer for a band called The Ordinary Boys but he was really known from his stint on Celebrity Big Brother where he met and married another Z-lister called Chantelle. One of Simon's favourite way's to wind people up was to read extract's from their biographies or in this case their wife's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJgFJTEHLI

e: He also used to be an interviewer for Popworld and used to give popstars the most awkward interviews ever. He once made Britney Spears cry when he asked her if she thought she'd gone a bit mad.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

This video is a series of clips from an episode where a guest called Preston walked off. Preston was a singer for a band called The Ordinary Boys but he was really known from his stint on Celebrity Big Brother where he met and married another Z-lister called Chantelle. One of Simon's favourite way's to wind people up was to read extract's from their biographies or in this case their wife's.
Didn't they have a song on Burnout 3, that's gotta mean something right?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
^^ That's a very pro-click video. I thought there was an episode of one of those British panel shows with one of the Spice Girls who would up walking off, and in later showings they kind of cut around her to remove her form the episode completely. Of course, I can't find any thing to back this up aside from an Australian talk show where Mel B (Scary Spice) walked off. I don't think that's what I was thinking of though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LawfulWaffle posted:

^^ That's a very pro-click video. I thought there was an episode of one of those British panel shows with one of the Spice Girls who would up walking off, and in later showings they kind of cut around her to remove her form the episode completely. Of course, I can't find any thing to back this up aside from an Australian talk show where Mel B (Scary Spice) walked off. I don't think that's what I was thinking of though.

That was the Big Fat Quiz Show, and she didn't leave, but she was absolutely insufferable and lacked any sense of awareness.

It was worth the torture of her un-funniness to eventually have the entire cast team up to reply to her with spoken word lyrics from Wannabe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9iZCtlKMG0

There are edits of the episode with Mel B entirely cut out and it is astonishing how coherent every joke remains. She added nothing of import to the entire episode.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Aug 2, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LawfulWaffle posted:

There's a lot of rumours about celebrities being annoyed afterwards because they didn't know what they were getting into or refusing to do the show because they'd get mocked too much. The latter is quite understandable to me I guess, Amstell's run was always going to end sooner rather than later because of his style and also he just wanted to do different things. The really stupid stuff was Jupitus and Fielding trashing him after he left for being too mean though Fielding later said he never made those comments. Jupitus was more than happy to make money on the show considering it had much higher ratings and won it's first awards during Amsterll's tenure. You can talk all you want about "I nearly walked" but you didn't and you waited until he was gone to publicly denounce him.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
As for horrible interviews, here's Sky News's Kay Burley going in for the kill on poor Peter Andre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybiM51194MA

Oh and she gets better. Such as asking pressing questions to the wife of the Suffolk strangler.
https://youtu.be/pfS4DsYD6iU

BogDew has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Aug 2, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I poo poo you not I've been to several weddings where I saw some highschooler with a Canon T3i and a single kit lens as "the photographer."
I always keep my camera with me and have no qualms about running and grabbing it and just snapping away during the ceremony/reception.

This can really gently caress things up for the actual photographer, mind you. If you're just wandering around effective taking B-roll of the guests and the place settings and things like that, go ahead, but if you're taking flash shots of the events he's getting paid to take photos of you're potentially screwing up a shot. I was at one where somehow my speedlight was tripping the optical trigger on the flash units he'd set over the dance floor. Use radio triggers, people.

quote:

1) I heard the "fauxtog" was being paid almost $2500 for the job. I gave my friend my pics for free as well as a very nicely bound album with the understanding that my name would be in no way attached to the work that was done. Apparently there was no contract so when it came time for her to get paid for her terrible work they told her to go gently caress herself. The hilarious part was that she had already 'invested' money she didn't have in the camera setup and travel and was banking on that money to pay for it all and her trip to Greece.

If she was expecting to be paid a set amount of money for the work, there was a contract. Oral contracts are entirely valid and enforceable contracts, they're just difficult to verify. So congratulations for helping to screw someone on a deal, I guess.

I'm amazed that guy on the ferry didn't die. Now his car's underwater, with a big honking boat on top of it. Speaking of ferry idiots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhfQh9n2GUA

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That first one was painful

"I will die for those kids" *wipes away tears*

"mhm so Alex is probably going to steal your kids right"

The second one is unreal

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Meatgrinder posted:

A while back I read Wallace's short story where he depicts Letterman as you see him here: irreverent, questions out of the left field, incredibly ad rem... Not being from the US, I had never seen a talk show host before the likes of Fallon and Colbert, so I had no idea who Letterman was and figured it was literary hyperbole or something. I looked up YouTube videos of him and that guy was amazing. He takes people down a peg or two that current talk show hosts still kiss up to, I love it.

He was basically bizarro Jimmy Fallon, he didn't give a poo poo about any of his guests fame. I mean, sometimes he was a real dick and I didn't like watching, but once in a while he got these motherfuckers that deserve that treatment.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The blockchain is literally duplicated, with everyone's coins existing on both at once. With different fantasy values attached.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

gschmidl posted:

The blockchain is literally duplicated, with everyone's coins existing on both at once. With different fantasy values attached.

Does that mean they technically get more money because it's being doubled, or do they delete your other coins if you spend them on one system?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's such a big arbitrage play to be made here.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I tried to talk my wedding photographer into a clause in the contract that, when he dies, or retires, I get the option to buy the copyrights to my wedding's photos from him or his estate, but he shot me down. I don't mind buying pictures from him, but if my house burns down in 20 years, if his kids don't want anything to do with photography, I still want to be able to replace my photos

The schadenfreuden is that in 20 years our brains will have img servers implanted in them for storing beloved photos of important life events.
And our brains will be terabytes of goatse and dickbutt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

The schadenfreuden is that in 20 years our brains will have img servers implanted in them for storing beloved photos of important life events.
And our brains will be terabytes of goatse and dickbutt.

You brain has petabytes of storage already. Sorry if your'e a sad brain dumb gently caress.