Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It would cost them $0 to give every player every champion and skin, but it would also bankrupt them.

And yet somehow Valve gets along okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Rygar201 posted:

There's a huge difference between unlocking all content, and a big IP refund my dude

I'm just saying that just because riot doesn't have to pay any money to do something doesn't mean it doesn't hurt their profits so saying it costs them $0 is a pretty meaningless thing to say.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Addamere posted:

And yet somehow Valve gets along okay.

Riot doesn't own the largest online game retail service and make $20-30 off of every $50 sale. Dota2 is a prestige product for Valve that has comparatively small development costs and doesn't need to turn a massive profit. Also, Valve 1) sells skins/arcana/compendium levels lol 2) doesn't even make the majority of the content they profit off of (and they are loving people who do produce that content by giving them less and less money)

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Firebert posted:

Riot doesn't own the largest online game retail service and make $20-30 off of every $50 sale. Dota2 is a prestige product for Valve that has comparatively small development costs and doesn't need to turn a massive profit. Also, Valve 1) sells skins/arcana/compendium levels lol 2) doesn't even make the majority of the content they profit off of (and they are loving people who do produce that content by giving them less and less money)

This is all true with the exception of the statement about their development costs.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

This is all true with the exception of the statement about their development costs.

Riot has more than a thousand employees now, nearly all of them working directly/indirectly on LoL with a handful working on new ip. Valve has less than 50 working on Dota2.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Firebert posted:

Riot has more than a thousand employees now, nearly all of them working directly/indirectly on LoL with a handful working on new ip. Valve has less than 50 working on Dota2.

I don't know exact numbers, but everything I've been told leads me to believe that the majority of Valve's employees are working on DOTA2 directly or indirectly (like dota2 related stuff on steam, basically).

I'm not saying I'm 100% sure I'm right, but this is what people who work in the business (but not at Valve) have told me. I don't have some secret source or something.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Isn't Valve skeleton crew at the moment? Feels like they're just riding it via fan made skins and steam and just doing nothing. They gambled on VR being a thing and now it isn't. A ton of their talent had left like practically everyone who made TF2 TF2.

They haven't made games in a very long time aside from support.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

riot cant just give away ip freely

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Isn't Valve skeleton crew at the moment?

No

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

rabidsquid posted:

riot cant just give away ip freely

Yes, they can and have. They did 100% refunds for the Dodge runes at the very least.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Yes?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-mT9D4fdgQ

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
the people that are going to have enough runes purchased for this to matter are the people that already own or almost own every champion so why not just refund 100% and give players with the bare minimum 2 pages a little boost to get a few more champions.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

New yorick skin when

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

How Rude posted:

the people that are going to have enough runes purchased for this to matter are the people that already own or almost own every champion so why not just refund 100% and give players with the bare minimum 2 pages a little boost to get a few more champions.

Yep. I am only missing like 15 champs, and most of them I do not really care about.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
If you've been playing this game for a significant amount of time, and have not already been milked for a significant sum of your money on rp purchases to substitute a lack of ip, then the chances that riot are tempting you on the ip or rp purchases is not likely. Players like me are never going to spend money on a champion again, the ip price I pay is not an rp purchase lost, give me my IP back

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

\/ /\

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
what's the Broken poo poo this patch?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

KicksYouInHalf posted:

what's the Broken poo poo this patch?

Nasus feels good. Sivir was busted, I am not sure if the hotfix brought her back to sanity or not/

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Isn't Valve skeleton crew at the moment? Feels like they're just riding it via fan made skins and steam and just doing nothing. They gambled on VR being a thing and now it isn't. A ton of their talent had left like practically everyone who made TF2 TF2.

They haven't made games in a very long time aside from support.

That and gaben had to force *everyone* in the company to work on DOTA2 because no one wanted to work on it. Turned out then icefrog is a huge turd to work with and is basically the coder equivilent of an so a lot of devs basically quit rather than have to submit to his terrible bullshit.

Then yeah, they've been just coasting by on being the biggest online game store that happens to also sell skins now.

They've been poo poo for years and their business strategy is basically "hope no one bothers making a better game distribution service" at this point.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
nasus isn't even a blip on the radar compared to maokai and cho gath this patch. they both get invincibly tanky about halfway through any game and then it becomes a question of whether or not your team comp can break through and kill the squishies without having to deal with them

draven is also still banned every game but i think thats an overreaction these days

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Maokai is getting a triple whammy nerf next patch though so don't count on it staying that way

Mao's Q, E and Cinderhulk are all being nerfed

Cho might aalso be eating nerfs as well I think

No one bans Draven in Korea because Caitlyn still exists and you have to pick or ban her or you lose automatically

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Teikanmi posted:

Maokai is getting a triple whammy nerf next patch though so don't count on it staying that way

Mao's Q, E and Cinderhulk are all being nerfed

Cho might aalso be eating nerfs as well I think

No one bans Draven in Korea because Caitlyn still exists and you have to pick or ban her or you lose automatically

They reverted the Q nerf on Maokai. Still a pretty brutal nerf to E because it takes away a lot of the early ridiculous clear that he had.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh just saw that now

Still, pretty lame that they're addressing the problem by weakening his kit when the problem was more about Cinderhulk and his base numbers buff he got a few patches ago.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I just ban him every game because he's obnoxious as gently caress.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Drone_Fragger posted:

That and gaben had to force *everyone* in the company to work on DOTA2 because no one wanted to work on it. Turned out then icefrog is a huge turd to work with and is basically the coder equivilent of an so a lot of devs basically quit rather than have to submit to his terrible bullshit.

Then yeah, they've been just coasting by on being the biggest online game store that happens to also sell skins now.

They've been poo poo for years and their business strategy is basically "hope no one bothers making a better game distribution service" at this point.

This is kind of true. They have a super hosed up bonus system/salary system that rewards you only for working on the most popular thing, which is a big part of why people are unhappy and they're not producing much. It also has to do with a poorly implemented flat management structure.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Had a bunch of bad games today, but this 100% made up for it.

https://my.mixtape.moe/utbmnc.webm

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
what's the new 'silver squids'

I'm trying to get back into the game again.

I'm silver. I play support (at the silver level); my main characters are soraka and janna.

How do I win as a support in the silver league?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
The discord link in the op is where all game organization takes place currently since riot hosed up chat channels and clubs

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Finicums Wake posted:

what's the new 'silver squids'

I'm trying to get back into the game again.

I'm silver. I play support (at the silver level); my main characters are soraka and janna.

How do I win as a support in the silver league?

Post a replay and I'll make a video commentary if you want (janna/anything but soraka pref)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
to people that actually listen to metal, does anyone actually like pentakill

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Tired Moritz posted:

to people that actually listen to metal, does anyone actually like pentakill

They're actually pretty decent. Much, much better than poo poo like Dragonforce, though they're more of a cross between power metal and classic metal than they are anything else. I'm still more of a power metal fan myself. It's goofy enough for me to enjoy.

I actually really liked that Tears of the Goddess track.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Luna Was Here posted:

whats your ip count at? if they really are doing urfwick for 150k and allow gifting your local friendly meme king would like to collect his taxes

Got UrfWick for 5 RP because I'm not a chump. Though I can't quite afford it now if it's 150K IP, maybe after my refund.

Although if Grey Warwick is a thing I'll probably do that for myself instead.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
https://my.mixtape.moe/ciofxc.webm

here's me missing several stuns in a row and getting away with it because i'm taric

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Kokoro Wish posted:

They're actually pretty decent. Much, much better than poo poo like Dragonforce, though they're more of a cross between power metal and classic metal than they are anything else. I'm still more of a power metal fan myself. It's goofy enough for me to enjoy.

I actually really liked that Tears of the Goddess track.
They're literally just copying Blizzard and Elite Tauren Chiefton tho

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
If they are, they're doing it better, because E.T.C. is poo poo.

Edit: I just noticed that Sona used her E before Mordekaiser's solo.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 3, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I basically played only supports and saved up a ton of IP for an IP sale then bought all my runes/pages at once. I wonder if I'll get 40% of the full value or if they actually bother to track when you bought the runes.

Also do you get anything for the pages? I feel like those were the most expensive part, each page is like one champ and the new system lets you pick the runes during champ select right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

ArbitraryC posted:

I basically played only supports and saved up a ton of IP for an IP sale then bought all my runes/pages at once. I wonder if I'll get 40% of the full value or if they actually bother to track when you bought the runes.

Also do you get anything for the pages? I feel like those were the most expensive part, each page is like one champ and the new system lets you pick the runes during champ select right?

Last word from Riot on that so far is people will keep their pages, despite the fact that pages will be editable in champ select. No compensation.

• Locked thread